“Camping here long term - good memories!”

Tropical Palms Resort and Campground
Ranked #17 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
Merida, Mexico
“Camping here long term - good memories!”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stayed in an RV in the 200 section. This is the more economical section, not paved but with full service. I preferred this section because it feels more like camping. I prefer feeling a part of nature, and backing onto the woods was the perfect area for us!
I would say that if you expect perfection you will be disappointed by this resort. It is not perfect, in fact the front desk is horribly frustrating. It seemed like there was very little communication between employees and they have a high turn over rate. So if you have an issue you will probably end up speaking to someone without the maturity level, or the experience to handle your issue properly. That said there are a few employees there that really have their stuff together, get things done and are friendly to boot. That said, there was one employee that could not smile or appear pleasant if his life depended on him... Until the last day! He actually was pleasant and his face smiled!
The grounds are lovely! The pictures they post actually do the grounds justice. Lots of palm trees, well taken care of grounds. They do regular maintenance of the landscaping - you will enjoy the surroundings!
The shower houses were quite clean. The shower houses themselves when we were there 2013-2014 were needing some renovations. Just some upkeep - nothing major. Over all we were happy when we used them. I never had a cold shower either!
The pool area can get incredibly congested at busy times of the year. For me, I don't like crowds. So I would avoid the busy times. But one note for anyone with allergies or sensitivities - the chlorine in this pool made us sick. I am not an expert but something is not quite right. We went regularly to Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard beach and we would stay all day and never get sick. One day they had to close the pool because of there being a 'floater' if you catch my drift. They do have regular pool maintenance, and they apparently have someone checking ph levels daily.
The food by the pool is pretty good. Not very many healthy options, but if you like burger and fries or that type of food you will be good to go.
The activities for the kids was a hit and miss. Depending on who was running it and what they were doing. There were some very unfair events for the kids, where one or two kids got special attention - and the others were sort of out of luck. I don't know that that was intentional, but definitely due to lack of dealing with groups of children when it did happen.
Summary: If you expect perfection this place is not for you. If you can roll with the ups and downs and just be happy to be in a tropical environment, near disney, enjoying the warm weather - you will enjoy it here. There will most likely be new friends made - and lot's of fond memories.
I booked this resort without knowing what to expect and went solely on photos. I was happy I picked this resort. For the price it is a nice place to enjoy the area! There is another resort nearby that I checked out while there - Sherwood Forest - and I am so so so glad I did not book there. It is not even remotely as nice as this one!!!!
October 2013 had a really fun Halloween! I highly recommend their halloween festivities!

Room Tip: The 200's that back onto the green space are the most private. Not paved these sites can be dir...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank DarciPenner
TropicalPalmsGSM, General Manager at Tropical Palms Resort and Campground, responded to this review, December 11, 2015
Thank you for your feedback. We continually look for ways to improve the quality of each individual's stay at Tropical Palms, and your comments towards this goal will be carefully reviewed. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Apollo Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We are campers so I have no feedback on the conditions of the cottages other than to say some of the feedback from our friends have not been good. Our issue is the back camping area... tents that look like they've been there since hurricane Andrew. Weeds overgrown covering debris that appear to have been there for some time (months/year).

Now the pool issue is quite alarming since I understand someone almost drowned in July. I understand that July 4th is/was a holiday weekend and yes we were there and no we never went into the pool as it was so crowded and totally crazy. Now here we are in August and still the same crowded, but just really got out of hand. Parents letting kids do flips off their shoulders and also tossing the kids over the volleyball net. Young kids jump/flipping in right on top of other kids. Grown people sitting on the rope that identifies the beginning of the deep end. Since no one stops the cars coming in to verify if they are guests, it is very likely some could just have been day swimmers. Not sure if we'll ever go back. It's a shame because with family & friends there were over 40 of us. So much potential.....

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Donna E
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a week in July 2013. It was a big Disney trip for us. This campground was an excellent place to stay. It was weird seeing alligators walking thru the campgrounds. I'm from NC. The location was a great location from Disney and the Interstate. If we go back we will remember Tropical Palms.

Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Cebaker76
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 5 days over the 4th July weekend. Considering the rush and thus overpriced hotels at this time, we got a fantastic deal here. They have rental vehicles also available, though we had opted for a cabin. I call it a 'cabin' for they are way too smaller than a cottage.

The cabins are quite small but good enough for nuclear families. They have poster beds in one room which can easily accommodate 2 kids. The wash cloth and linen were nice and clean. They also have a in house store for basic daily needs. We did stock up on cereal and milk for breakfast. It's close proximity to all theme parks and dinner shows is a major plus for this place. There are nice restaurants and pharmacy within half a mile. They have ample parking place too and have a swimming pool along with a few activities scheduled daily. During my stay the activities were more in number probably due to 4th July rush.

There is no maid service available in the cost of the hotel... They charge additional 50$ for maids. So all cleaning and trashing is to be done by the guest. The door locking handle of our cabin was broken but we did not complain as there was an additional lock too. I preferred not to use the toiletries for they seemed to be very inferior quality.

Anyone visiting Orlando for a short time would just need a place to retire for the night considering the back to back days at various theme parks.... This place is good value for money and justifies that perspective.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KaurMandeep
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Was kind of skeptical about this place because it had 50/50 reviews. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised with all the accommodations! From the smores and movie by the pool (Sat. evening) to the dish washing soap that was so thoughtfully included in the kitchen! Cottage had stainless steel appliances (micro/stove/fridge) ice trays for ice, pots & pans, etc. The cottage itself was great! Very roomy! There were also golf clubs/basketballs/etc to rent for FREE! Will certainly come back again when we visit Disney. Speaking of Disney, it was only 8 minutes away! Highly recommend for families!

Room Tip: Make sure to request Premium rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank antsamnat
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Shower: 2 days with shower not draining & broke control handle - very disgusting & unsanitary. Noticed problem first night but was too late to call front desk. Reported problem first thing next morning and called during day while out to make sure fixed. Returned to room at 10:00 p.m. and problem not fixed. Called front desk and maintenance showed up at almost midnight, at which time I sent them away b/c we had all given up and went to bed. Came back next morning and finally got the shower fixed.

Bath Linens: We only had 4 wash cloths in our cottage. Upon checking in went to front desk and was told they were out. Next day requested again and still out. Finally on day 3 received 3 clean wash cloths. Not sufficient for 5 people

Worst Beds Ever: The beds had to be the most uncomfortable I have ever slept in. The pull out couch was a joke. You could feel every bar. Not able to be slept on at all.

Rude manager: Manager came to our cottage and asked me what the problem was. I went through the whole thing with him and he said is that all??? He asked if I had refused to be moved to a different cottage, which I had not. He never apologized, and then left and told me to come see him in the office later. When I went to see him he ended up giving me a 10% discount. Very poor customer service.

We have camped at Tropical Palms many times in years past. I'm not sure if I will ever return to this resort.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank PTK9999
Indialantic, Florida
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed here in our RV for a few days in April. It was clean and quiet. The bathrooms could use some updating. We were camped right across from the pool and it was still fairly quiet. They also have houses for rent which look very nice and they are in a quiet area but we didn't stay there. I think they would be a great place for a family flying into Orlando or without an RV. The best thing about this place is that it's very secure yet it's right off the main road through town with many places to eat and shop and only a few minutes from Disney.

Room Tip: There are no rooms. I'd suggest to go online for a map to pick your campsite or house rental.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family