New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Tropical Palms Resort and Campground

Tropical Palms Resort and Campground
Ranked #22 of 160 Hotels in Kissimmee
East Sussex, United Kingdom
“A good base for a tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed here in early November and had a good deal thru Expedia. We used it as a base for a car tour so did not use the resort's facilities. We booked a Premium Cottage (69) as the kitchenette was useful for preparing our breakfast and making drinks. There is a Golden Corral restaurant nearby on Hwy 192 so that was very convenient for a one price buffet lunch or dinner.
Why they are called cottages I do not know, because they do not fit the British image of a little country house. They are single wide mobile homes set 3 ft above ground with a decking patio outside. The main bedroom was very small with a double bed - it was difficult to get into the bed as there was less than a 1ft gap either side to access/get into bed. The children's is also small with cramped bunk beds. The bathroom and shower worked fine, but the entry door was almost off its hinges. The kitchenette was OK & provided with the basics to start off the stay there. However, the kitchen / lounge floor was sticky and our feet soon became dirty. Thankfully, the cockroaches were dead ones! The lounge was provided with easy chairs & sofa but all were dirty. The window blinds were dusty and did not work properly and cob webs hung down from the ceiling. That was probably the result of a lack of effective cleaning so we advised reception to get it "spring cleaned". I would advise people to check their place over as soon as they arrive and K A for improvements if required.

Room Tip: We had a premium cottage, but I hate to think what a basic cottage is! We will consider staying the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NIGEL E
TropicalPalmsGSM, General Manager at Tropical Palms Resort and Campground, responded to this review, December 11, 2015
Thank you for your feedback. We continually look for ways to improve the quality of each individual's stay at Tropical Palms, and your comments towards this goal will be carefully reviewed. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Clearwater, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The fact that this place is calling themselves a "resort" should be illegal. I have stayed in a resort before....this does not come close to an actual resort. When we first walked in the door to the premium cottage (66) the first thing I saw were over 10 dead roaches on the floor and the floors were sticky, we had to keep our shoes on the entire time. My parents came with us, my dad slept on the pull out couch. He had to wrestle with it for about 10 minutes to get it to lay flat on the ground without pulling the couch part up in the air, the mattress was about an inch thick, had huge brown stains on it and once the bed finally sat the way it was intended to the entire thing was at a 30 degree angle. As for the couch while it was being used to sit on....and a nasty texture. I had to put a sheet on it in order to sit on it. The blinds were bent and broken so even with them "shut" there was no privacy. If people are giving pet deposits they certainly aren't being used to replace any damaged items to the cabin.
Next is the kitchen, it did come fully stocked, the only real complaint here was that the rubber hose around the dishwasher was not attached which caused the dishwasher to leak all over the floor which actually helped the floor not be so sticky....
This cabin supposedly was made for 6 people. In the bathroom there was 1 towel bar it was about 12 inches long. We had to hang towels all over the cabin, door knobs, cabinets etc.
The "queen size" bed in the master bedroom is actually a full size bed, hard as a rock. We stayed 4 nights, I am a side sleeper, my arms are still sore. The underside of the blanket felt like a brillo pad. We actually drove home our first day on vacation (only live two hours aways) to get our own bedding. The drawers in the closet wanted to fall on the floor after pulling them out two inches. The second bedroom had a bunk bed and then a single bed. These were half the width of regular twin beds.
There was absolutley NOWHERE to sit in this place and actually be comfortable or relax.
What's worse than the accomidations is the staff. I called with questions prior to arrival, I wanted to find out if we needed to bring bedding or towels, what is the latest we can check in etc. I called a total of 3 times prior to arriving, the staff are so rude and not helpful in any way. I was not made to feel like an important guest but rather a burdon. The first night of our stay got chilly, it was under 60 degrees in the cabin and with two small kids I wanted to run the heat for a few minutes. The heat didn't work. When I called to let the office know about it we were told by the maintanance person that the heat element was missing. There was no offer to resolve this issue (the list of ammenities includes heat).
To sum it up, this place is dirty, the staff are rude, the claim to be a "resort" or have "queen size beds" or "heat" is all a lie. For the $90 we spent per night we could have stayed at an actually resort and gotten much more out of our money. I am thouroughly disappointed, feel cheated and am literally in pain from staying at this crap hole.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Melissa G
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Booked this hotel for me and my family. It was ok until we saw ants in our kitchen. They were nice enough to move us to one of the newer trailors they had built on the property. So much better! It was brand new,it was a 2/1 with a loft, a kitchen, and a livingroom area. They each also have porch and picnic tables. They are also located next to old town which is walking distance. The pool area was pretty cool just too crowded. They also have a market inside the main office.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank klabandera
Orange Park, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was the worst case of customer service I Have ever seen. I book three weeks in advance and asked for a pack and play for my infant grandson. Called two days before arriving and they said that I would have one in the cottage. We got down there at 10 pm and the baby was sleeping after being in traffic for 3 hours. The Girl was really rude about it said that even the room we had was not clean. No pack and play, after an hour we asked for our money back and left to find a new place to take care of us. I call back in the morning and the manager was just as rude as the girl at the front desk. All he kept saying was that he had to check with his staff to see what had happened and that it was my fault because I left the grounds that I had to find a room at double the cost. Finally after talking with him for about 30 minutes and getting very upset I asked to talk to someone higher up. I got Richard on the phone and he was nice he said he was the general manager and he said that I should have been treated better. He said he would give me a free weekend to try them again. A week and a half later I still have not gotten anything from them for the free weekend. VERY UNHAPPY WITH THEM, STAYED THERE YEARS AGO BUT I WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW TO STAY AWAY.

Room Tip: do not go there. I would not go there again
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Gsnana12
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Myself and my husband stayed at the Tropical Palms Resort for two weeks this September and absolutely loved it there. We had read various bad reviews before leaving for our holiday so were slightly skeptical about the quality and cleanliness of the accommodation, but were pleasantly surprised. Our cottage was spotless, quite spacious and was in a beautiful spot.
The camp site itself was beautiful, and full of wildlife! We seemed to have adopted several squirrels and a couple of turkeys whilst we were there!
The staff were very friendly and helpful and we were in a prime location, only being a short walk away from Old Town.
I would definitely recommend a stay at Tropical Palms, and if we were to return to Orlando, I would have no qualms about booking us in there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in cottage number 74 and found it perfect for just the two of us.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nefni1986
Matthews, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I recently stayed with my wife and daughter. We used to live in WPB and stayed here often up to 7 years ago.WOW, have the older cottages fallen apart !! We are easy going, and, I am a maintenance supervisor for a property management company. This cottage ( unit C212) was so bad it could not pass a section 8 inspection and should NEVER be rented !! There are 4 holes in the walls, german cockroaches, a hole in the entry door where it has rusted/rotted out/ no fire extinguisher/ all the blinds are bent/broken/rusted out appliances /ac return/ no drain cover in the tub/the bathroom door knob freezes up and wont turn/ water stains on the ceilings in the rear bdr and bathroom. etc etc. We went in and complained and they had no problem offering us another cottage. We looked at it and it was no better, holes in the walls and all, plus, roach bait along all the cabinet edges! I asked about a better cottage and they would only give us an upgrade if we paid for it. So, we ended up in unit C76, wich was A LOT better ( still some minor problems-I had to plunge the clogged shower, trim missing, blinds broken) but, no german cockroaches ! I was VERY DISSAPOINTED that we had to pay for the upgrade. The old owners would never have charged for an upgrade after what we saw in unit c212 ! The beds were ALL HARD !!

Room Tip: I firmly state, stay away from the old/ "rustic" cottages
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Lloyd C
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This place has everything you need – the cabins come equipped with a full kitchen, bathroom, living room and beds. The older cabins is what we stayed in – they are clean but old. One of our beds was very old and stiff as a board. So the comfort wasn’t there but they are working on that. If you’re looking for fresh and new make sure you ask for a new cabin when making your reservations. Tropical Palms is working on replacing the older cabins with new ones so soon enough all of the cabins will be new. They have a nice community pool, a putt putt course (nothing fancy but it’s free!), fun activities for the kids and it has great scenery. We had a couple of issues with our cabin and the clerk at the front desk was very friendly and quick to fix our problems. We plan on coming back because of the price and location. All of the staff we encountered were very nice and helpful. There is primitive camping available and RV/campers areas to park with full hook ups. They are pet friendly but do charge $150 fee that will be refunded if there are no problems with “Fido” on your stay. The location is great with Old Town within walking distance and minutes from all of the attractions in Orlando (Disney, Universal, Arabian Knights, Gator Land, etc.) We will be coming back soon.

Room Tip: Ask for the newer cabins if you want clean, new and more comfort. They area all small but it's...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family