“MAINGATE LAKESIDE RESORT ROCKS.....”

Maingate Lakeside Resort
Ranked #96 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
London, United Kingdom
“MAINGATE LAKESIDE RESORT ROCKS.....”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I LOVED IT....We stayed here last week and had a great time. Not all new and shiny but we were out all day from early morning till late at night enjoying Disney and all the other things Orlando has to offer. We didn't stay in our room day and night thinking of how many ways we could complain or what to complain about.... No toilet roll? A little mould in the far corner? Water running from the air con outside? People splashing about in the pool? Music from the poolside bar until 11pm? People having fun and laughing? Omg!!!! Maybe some people had booked the wrong location! Should have booked a Sandals holiday maybe? It's a resort with 17 buildings. It's a 3 star rating-not 5.... Our room was 183. Opposite the pool. We had wifi in the room. We had a maid come in every single day. We had a fridge. We had a coffee machine. A safe. Hair dryer. Iron. Ironing board. Comfy beds. Air con that worked. A tv. That worked. We had fun and liked it here. We had a restaurant we could go into and have a decent breakfast. Everything worked and we had no problems. If we came back at 10pm and there was noise we would just turn the tv on. The noise disappears when the door is shut. The reviews on here seem very unfair....it's a resort where people are having fun and enjoying themselves. IT'S A HOLIDAY. LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE.....

Room Tip: Don't read into the previous harsh reviews too much. It's a 3 star resort so don't expec...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lesleylouise345
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Lesleylouise345: Thank you for staying with us and for your review! We are happy you had such a nice time with us and appreciate your comments. We do take all reviews seriously and thank you for such positive feedback! Please come back to stay with us again soon, as it was our sincere pleasure having you as our guest all the way from the UK!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked this hotel as part of a package. I did look at the other reviews and was a bit apprehensive. On arrival we was greeted by a friendly lady who promptly checked us in and sent us on our way. We was given room 190 which was by the pool. On finding our room, which was by the drink and ice machine, we felt that not only was the surrounding areas quite dirty but also outside our room was dirty. The door was filthy and was in desperate need of a clean. I was dreading what we would find inside !!
Inside we found a very basic room with 2 beds. The carpets were stained, the walls dirty, the bathroom had not been cleaned and the shower had mould all around it. The was also bugs flying and crawling around, only a few but as we was on the ground floor we felt this was to be expected. We unpacked and noticed that there was a lot of noise outside, laughing and shouting. We looked out of our door and a few rooms down there was approx 10 people outside there room drinking. The time was 10pm and we had been travelling all day and was obviously tired. I felt this group of people were unapproachable so we went to the front desk and asked if we could change rooms. We explained that our room was dirty and the noise a few rooms down was unacceptable. The man on the desk said he would sought it out. I was unsure what he meant by this so asked what he meant by SOUGHT IT OUT. He said he was send security down and walked off he didn't even have the courtesy to say that we couldn't change room. As there was no one at the desk any longer we went back, to what we described as the flea pit. The noise continued until 10.30 and then stopped. We was glad of this as we could finally get some sleep, which is what we did.
We was awoken at 7am by banging outside our room. My husband looked outside and there was a maintenance man doing some work up the corridor. We tried to get back to sleep but with the banging this was impossible so we showered ( after I had cleaned the mould away and washed out the bath) and went out for the day.
We returned to our room at 9.30pm and we greeted by girls screaming in the pool. The was approx 20 youths drinking and swearing and behaving in a drunken manner. We went into our room and had to endure this noise until 11pm when the pool was closed. The youths then began walking around the hotel laughing and shouting. As we was by the ice machine we had a steady flow of people using the machine all night. In your room your supplied with a plastic ice bucket which consequently when the ice hits the plastic makes a very loud noise especially int he middle of the night. My husband did want to go out and say something but I felt this was unwise as there was so many of them. We got approx 4 hours sleep that night. At 7.15am the next day it was felt that this would be a good time to refill the ice machine. The noise was unbelievable. My husband went outside and asked if it was necessary to refill the machine and 7.15am and the response he got was HEY MAN IT'S GOT TO BE DONE SOMETIME. It took about 20 minutes to refill the machine so we hoped that we could finally get some sleep. Silly us. Now it seemed that it was ok to talk and laugh out loudly. I felt this had been done deliberately as when we was on our way out one of the guys looked at me and laughed.
We returned to our room after a day of shopping at about 6pm but decided we would leave the shopping in the car for now and go and get ready to go out for a meal. On returning once again to our room the noise from the pool area was again the same as it had been the night before but there was more youths then ever. We quickly went into our room as I felt very intimidated by all those people everywhere. I was glad we had left our bags in the car now and promptly got ready to go out. We returned at 11pm and surprise surprise the noise was even worse. The pool is supposed to close at 11 so hoped that the party would be over soon. It all went quite at 11.30pm at the pool but by the time everyone had cleared out of the pool area it was 1am. My husband decided to go get our shopping and bring it in the room.
By this stage we was so tired from lack of sleep that we slept from 1.30 until 8am when the maid knocked on the door. We asked her to come back later. There was no DO NOT DISTURB sign to put on the door so it was inevitable that she would be knocking at some stage. I noticed that I had 5 bites on my leg. They wasn't there before and had appeared over night. My husband checked my bed. He pulled back the sheets 2 Mosquitos flew out from under the covers
I had had enough by this stage and I again went to the front desk and asked if we could change room as the noise was unacceptable and was actually ruining our holiday I was told No as all the room were booked out. Again the the desk clerk walked away albeit that it was a different desk clerk this time it seems that you have no chance to respond as they just walk away and go out back. I waited for 10 minutes to see if he returned but he did not. What appalling customer service I didn't even get a apology.
We went out for the day and was advised to clean my bites by a shop assistant so we brought some antiseptic wipes and some cream. We returned back at 10.30pm. Tonight was karaoke night. We could here the noise before we had even parked the car let alone got to our room.
We got into the room and had to turn the telly up just to hear it. We sprayed the room with bug spray and checked the bed. The pain from the 5 bites I had was really bad so what with the bites and the noise I broke down. I told my husband we were checking out first thing in the morning. The karaoke went on until 12.30 so by the time all the people had gone back to there room it was gone 2am. Myself and my husband had approx 5 hours sleep that night and was beyond tired by this stage. We loaded the car and I went to the desk to check out. I was told that I could not check out until Monday. I told the guy behind the desk that there was absolutely no way I was staying in the cesspit of a hotel anymore and if he wanted more details then by all means carry on. There was other people waiting at the desk and clearly he didn't want me making a scene and telling him a few home truths about that establishment he works in. He said THAT WOULD BE FINE and took my room key. Yet again I did not receive an apology even though I was checking out early and had stated that I felt this hotel is a cesspit. We drove out of there feeling relief and anxiety after all we had no one to stay for the next 2 days. We found a lovely, clean, quiet motel called Golden Link Motel on the US 192 and checked in the for the remaining 2 days of our holiday.

The MAINGATE LAKESIDE RESORT is a dirty, noisy hotel and the staff show know respect or remorse should you dare to have a complaint. I would recommend that you find somewhere else to stay and should this motel be part of a package then book a flydrive and book the motel separately. This is what I usually do and have no trouble and the one and only time I book a package I have, what can only be described as the holiday from hell, well 5 days of it at least.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Dawnmaud: We would like to sincerely express our apologies for any troubles you may have encountered. This is highly unusual and not a typical guest experience by any means. I ask that you please contact the hotel and ask for the Director of Operations, as I would like to discuss your review and your stay with you, as I would like to make this right. Thank you...

Travelers are raving about these Kissimmee hotels

Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Disgusting.... We found multiple issues with our room, among them mold and other features. Our biggest issue was with the lizard we found in our first room. When we went downstairs and asked for another room, the second room contained both mold and cockroaches. We are currently in the lobby waiting until a manager comes in at 10am (though the "resort" website stipulates a manager is on duty 24/7).

On top of the poor state of the accommodations provided, the hidden fees and ridiculous excuse for customer service also help cap this off as our worst experience in the Kissimmee-Orlando area. At check-in, you are hit with a $10 per person, per night charge on top of the $50 Florida hotel charge. When you have planned a trip in advance, it is very hard to say no to a fee without a back-up plan. We also spent money in the general store/Pizza Hut Express combination and were charged a 15% gratuity, for what? No service was provided to us. On top of that, we never received a receipt and saw a sign near the register saying that if we weren't given a receipt, our purchase was free. No such luck here.

The laundry and soda vending machines eat your money (which doesn't come as a shock with all the hidden fees). The shuttle drivers and taxi service drivers are always on the phone yelling at the top of their lungs, and don't talk to the guests unless they are asking for money or where you are going.

Our room was cleaned once out of the five nights of the stay. Trying to converse with a housekeeper is similar to talking to a brick wall. Trying to speak Spanish with them (because most don't understand simple English) only worsens the situation. Getting a roll of toilet paper or new, clean towels in this place is an epic adventure, usually met with bad attitude on the side of the employees. Poor attitude + poor accommodations + poor customer service = unhappy paying guests. Be careful when booking.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MAS2792
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear MAS2792: Thank you for being our guest and staying with us. I would like to express our sincere apologies for any troubles you may have encountered during your stay with us. We do charge a resort fee for the hotel amenities, such as: mini-golf, theme park shuttles, kids breakfast program, in room safe, local calls, and WiFi.... However, the other items you mentioned are by no means a typical guest experience and I would like to have a chance to discuss your stay with you. Please contact the hotel and ask for the Director of Operations so I may have a chance to discuss your stay and make this right. Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stay here once to twice a year. Here is what you will get. A hotel that is close to Disney. It is very close to the Animal Kingdom especially if you use the sneak route cutting thru the lot at the nearby Burger King. The rooms are a bit dated but I always have found them clean and the beds are comfortable. Rooms have a safe, coffee pot, and fridge. I do think the WiFi has improved. I was able to get WiFi in my room this stay. In the past I have had to go to the lobby for WiFi. Walgreens is a short walk thru the parking lot. The pools are clean and the pool bar is nice. If you are looking for a safe place to sleep while going comando at the Disney parks look no further. But remember a 35 dollar room is going to be a 35 dollar room. And yes there is a resort fee! I wish the resort fee would just be eliminated.

Withing walking distance are several restaurants Wendy's, Burger King, McDonalds, Buffalo Wild Wings, Ci Cis Pizza, and a couple sit down restaurants as well. Parking is ample and very close to the rooms. I enjoy my stays at Maingate but the day is quickly approaching when a remodel will be needed. I hope they put a little money into this place and keep it open for years to come. Oh yea one more thing I find the staff friendly and willing to help with any questions I may have.

Room Tip: A person in the lobby will try to sell you park tickets when you check in. I am always polite and ju...
2 Thank JBB071
Dear JBB071: Thank you for staying with us through the years! It is our sincere pleasure having you as our guest! Thank you for your review and for your comments. We appreciate your feedback. Please come back again soon!
Nassau, New Providence Island
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We had to stay an extra night since we missed our flight so we went on the internet and found this hotel. The pictures looked great and all the amenities list sounded great. Well arrival and check-in was OK but after getting to the room we realized that this hotel was old and not well maintained.The best thing about this stay was the speed of the internet. I do have to say the place was clean and liveable for one night but given the name and what they advertise I expected better.

Room Tip: The place is pretty open so second floor gives you a better sense of security.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Anthony R: Thank you for your review and for your feedback. We take your comments seriously. We are continuously making improvements to our facilities and we apologize if we did meet or exceed your expectations. We hope you may visit us again and give us another chance in the future.
New Albany, Indiana, United States
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here the first week of August. She had booked the online. I was surprised at the quality for the price! The check in were very helpful when we arrived even letting us check in early since our room was ready. Our room was surprisingly clean. The furniture is typical hotel grade but it was in good condition. The mattresses were comfy! The ladies from housekeeping who serviced our room were professional and both took pride in their work. The one scrubbed our bathroom floor on her hands and knees. The floor was not dirty but she said that was how she made sure her rooms were clean. The mini fridge was clean and worked well. The only downfall of our room was the lamp shades were worn and old and we had to check our door when we left. It did not always close all the way on its own. If I return to Disney and stay off property again I will stay her. The location to the parks was great!

Room Tip: Shop online for deals. We found rates from 32.00 to over 70.00 for this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jo G: Thank you for your review! It was our sincere pleasure having you as our guest. We would like to thank you for your kind remarks on our housekeeping associates, as they work very hard and play a vital role in our guest experience... Your comments do not go unnoticed and are appreciated. Thank you and we hope to see you again real soon!
Platte City, Missouri
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I booked this hotel through priceline and after booking, I read some of the reviews and became very concerned with what I had gotten myself into, however, I was definitely very impressed with this place and we enjoyed it tremendously. I room was very nice and clean. I'm not sure what type of room anybody else booked but we had a non smoking room with 2 beds on the bottom level. Again, the room was very clean and nice. The coffee maker was forgotten and all we had to do was call the main desk about it and they brought us a coffee maker right away.
There is a $10.00/day resort fee associated with this hotel when you check in, however, it is to cover the mini golf, movies and other various activities that they have. We had fun playing mini golf but our favorite thing was sitting outside at night under to sky watching a movie by the pool. You can literally swim and watch a movie at the same time. It was fantastic! We had a great time at this hotel and if we come back to Florida again, we will definitely try and stay at this hotel again.

3 Thank Kristi C
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Kristi C: We are so happy to see you had a fantastic time with us! Your comments are greatly appreciated and we thank you for your review. Please come back again real soon!