“Clean, Affordable, and close to Disney”

Maingate Lakeside Resort
Ranked #96 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I live in the Tampa Bay area, and for the past few years Maingate Lakeside Resort has been my family's go-to option when we are looking for an inexpensive hotel room when spending a weekend at Walt Disney World.

It is an older hotel, but well-maintained. The lobby is inviting and the front desk staff is helpful and friendly. One word of warning: when you check in, you will be asked to visit a "hospitality desk" where you are told "free gifts" await. The "gifts" include theme park maps and coupons to local restaurants and attractions (which you may actually find useful), but the catch is that you will find yourself in the middle of a sales pitch for a time share before you know what is happening. Since I'm a local from Tampa, the guys at the desk usually just give me the coupons and send me on my way, knowing that I'm not their customer. This is just something to be aware of. Visiting this hospitality desk is of course completely optional. This may put off some people, but it certainly isn't a deal-breaker for me.

The rooms are fine, but nothing special. They're clean and include a small fridge, coffee maker, and other small conveniences. The beds are comfortable and in the pillows are soft. It seems to be mostly families that stay at the resort, so expect the usual noise from kids, but I've never been kept awake at this resort by excessive noise during the nighttime hours (except maybe late night fireworks from the nearby Disney parks).

There are three pools on property, as well as two kiddie pools. I don't believe the pools are heated. The on-site miniature golf course is free to guests but isn't too fancy. The kiddies will likely not be too impressed.

It's approximately a 15-minute car ride from your room to a parking space on Disney property (perhaps more depending on traffic). There are plenty of dining options all around the hotel. Pretty much any kind of food you're looking for is less than a 5-minute drive in any direction. Dining options on-property include a PIzza Hut Express, a sports bar and grill, a tiki bar, as well as a full service restaurant and a snack bar. Unfortunately there is no complimentary breakfast at the hotel. The full service restaurant does offer a breakfast buffet with many different options, but I've seen other hotels offer similar fare for no additional charge.

There is bus transportation to Disney and Universal available, but I would strongly recommend driving your own car to the parks. The transportation schedule is fairly limited.

If you're looking for a Disney vacation on a budget, you could do much worse than Maingate Lakeside Resort. Trust me, bargain hotel shopping in Kissimmee is a roll of the dice. Before we found Maingate Lakeside, we stayed in some real dumps. This is now our hotel of choice for quick weekend trips.

2  Thank jtockstein
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear jtockstein: Thank you for your review and thank you for staying with us! We appreciate your comments and would just like to clarify that pool #1 is heated. We do offer to all guests: 1 child 10 years and younger eats free per paying adult for our breakfast buffet. We are glad you decided to stay with us and certainly hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We do not usually stay at budget hotels, however for this trip we were not planning to spend any time in the hotel, and only needed a place to crash.

The arrival and check in were both smooth and the front desk clerk was very helpful, pleasant and courteous.

The rooms are dated, but clean and fresh smelling, the beds were clean and comfortable. We were in building 3, it was very quiet, no street noise at all. The pool is large and clean, and the grounds are well-kept and tidy.

We ate breakfast in the restaurant and the buffet for $8.95 was a real deal, with a lot of fresh fruit and an omelet bar, where they cook you a fresh made to order omelet. The $8.95 includes everything, coffee, juice, milk and a smiling friendly waitress.

We paid $36.00 a night, which was well worth what we received. However there is a resort fee of $10.00 per night that is not advertised on Hotels.com, but there is no charge for parking. We have stayed in hotels that charge a $30.00 resort fee and we had to pay for parking.

All in all we received good value for money and we will definitely stay here again.

1  Thank Dave K
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear Dave K: We are happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for taking time to review your stay. Your comments are sincerely appreciated and we certainly look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Had a very efficient check-in and was directed the tour guide desk 20 feet away. The gentleman at that desk had one mission; sell me a time share. He wasn't too pleased when he got blown off. Went to my assigned room in building 15 (about 75 rooms) and discovered I was the only guest staying in the building. It was far from the reception area and restaurants, very isolated and the room was atrocious. Given the fact there were many rooms available in the area where other guests were staying and those rooms were adjacent to the lobby/restaurants, it made no sense to me I was put in a vacant building. Since I was staying two nights, I tried to cancel my second night on-line through my travel service but there was no internet service in the room. Only in the lobby. I asked for and was allowed to move to a more desirable room closer to civilization. It turned out to be much nicer but still Spartan by any standard. Definitely not enough to keep me there two nights.

Room Tip: Stay away for building 15, unless you don't mind driving to the front desk
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank OpaSteve

Dear OpaSteve: Thank you for taking time to review your stay. We sincerely apologize for any troubles you may have encountered. We are pleased to see you were satisfied with the hotel's front desk and our apologies for any troubles encountered at the Wyndham tour and ticket desk as well as your guest room. Not quite sure why you were placed in the back, but could have been perhaps due to the particular room type you requested that may have only been available in the rear section of the resort? If any issue was not addressed appropriately during your stay, please do not hesitate to contact the Director of Operations so I may discuss your stay with you. Thank you and we do hope you come visit us again!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We got this using our airmails and it worked out very good value for money. We stayed for 7 nights originally then extended our stay for another 6 nights as we wanted to see some more attractions.

NOTE: Do not let the name deceive you - its not on the MAINGATE, although very close to the parks (about 3-4 miles) it is not on the doorstep as you might think.

It is close to various shops and there is a walgreens across the parking lot. This is more expensive and more limited than the publix 1 mile down the road but you are paying for the convenience.

The food staff were very nice and friendly. We got the pizza at the Pizza hut express one night, it was nice. We didn't have breakfast as there was a fridge in our room so got our own.

One of the reception staff was quite rude when we asked about wifi. We were lead to believe that it was available in every room (the in room pamplet even states it is!). It was not. We were rudely informed that it would not be available nor did it look like it ever would be. The staff member in question certainly needs to work on her customer service skills, apart from our experience with her, the other staff members were nice. We were disappointed about the wi-fi as this was the main reason we book the hotel as we required the Internet to work. The Internet was only available in the lobby (NOT IDEAL).

For what it is (and for what it cost), its good value. If you are staying in kissimess, you are likely to be doing the theme parks so will be out early most mornings and back late. For a safe, clean place to come back to, its perfectly ok.

The housekeeping were great and came everyday with fresh towels and replenished the coffee. The room itself was ok (although the beds were a little on the small side NB we are normal sized people). The bathroom had a bath and a shower and was perfectly acceptable (a little rusty in places). Most general areas are clean.

They offer a bus service to the various theme parks, it was a complementary bus (they do drop big hints at leaving a $1 or $2 tip which is more than reasonable) - get there early though as sometimes they left a little before their scheduled time. I would recommend using this service as it costs $15 to park at each themed park per day.

We used the laundrette once, you need to exchange cash for tokens. It was reasonable priced.

We didn't stay with children, but there seemed to be lots for them to do including a swimming pool and golf (I think there was also a games room). But who needs all that when Disney is down the road?

Room includes, TV (bit rubbish), Hair dryer, Fridge, Air con, Shower bath, two double (small beds), iron, wardrobe, soap/shampoo, towels, table and 2 chairs (meant we could have breakfast on a budget in our room before going out)

NOTE: Ask for a room on the lakeside or upstairs, we were downstairs facing the parking lot which meant a lot of noise from excited tourists up early/back late.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Dear pinkcamelno9: Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. We appreciate your comments and take them seriously. We would like to extend our sincere apologies for any inconveniences encountered such as the wifi. We take pride in our customer service and it troubles us to see you received less than satisfactory customer service from an associate... Please contact the hotel and ask for the Director of Operations so I may discuss your stay with you. Thank you and we certainly hope you may stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I think Maingate Lakeside Resort has become our new go-to cheap spot if we're staying off-property on our Disney trips. I looked at booking it on several different websites, and was very turned off by the additional $10 resort fee. I finally booked it blind on Hotwire.com after all. (No refunds, and they don't tell you in which hotel you are staying until after you are charged.) We did have to pay the $10 fee, but the rate was $10 less than the lowest competitor's website's price for the hotel. So, it all worked out.

It looks more like a motel than a resort. Our room was a pool view, really big (bigger than a Value Resort room on Disney property), and on the end of the building. It was very easy to get to from our car, without us parking right in front of the room like many motels. We didn't stay long, but there was so much information about restaurants on the property and a poolside bar. I feel like if we had stayed longer, we really would have enjoyed some of these amenities. I swear I saw a flier on a housekeeping cart that said karaoke.

I wish I could hug the housekeeper that made up room 189 on Sunday, January 27. I think they are personally responsible for our re-booking here in the future. They did such a nice job. We had a crib in the room, with sheets and a blanket of its own, but I had haphazardly left some of our son's blankets folded on the table next to the AC unit. When we got back from a long day at Animal Kingdom, the crib was made with our little fella's linens. Our shoes were all lined up in a row, our toiletries were arranged on the countertop and they left extra hotel shampoo and lotion.

There's no central air, you have one of those window units. It was a little bit dingy, but all in all, pretty clean. There was foreign hair all over one of the towels one day, but we didn't bother mentioning it to anyone as we were checking out that day. The hotel bar soaps are an insult to hotel bar soaps, they were teeny little slivers and they didn't lather up much. Our stay was short, so I didn't give it a whole lot of thought. There is a Walgreens on the same corner as the hotel, so worst case scenario you just walk over there and buy yourself some soap.

Speaking of that Walgreens, the hotel's location is super-convenient. There are lots of restaurants nearby, and lots of those giant souvenir shops. The coolest thing is the proximity to Disney's Animal Kingdom. You turn left out of the hotel, left on to Sherberth road, curve around a little bit and you're there. After all: location, location, location. We could hear the fireworks from Epcot at one point. It was really neat to be so close.

We are snobby about hotels (lifelong DVC member), and we really enjoyed this one. We will absolutely stay here again, and I think that in itself is the best review.

1  Thank Wendy L
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Wendy L: Thank you for your review. We are happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us! We sincerely appreciate your comments regarding your excellent housekeeping service... Thank you and we look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

VERY disappointed. We chose this location because we had stayed here a few years back and loved it. This time, we were greeted by unfriendly front desk staff. When I asked about the Wi-Fi code I was informed that it was only available in the lobby. Others asked about it through out my stay there and I heard differing responses. Some said it was broken, some said they didn't have it, but none of the staff seemed to care at all that people were disappointed. Half way through my time there the room keys stopped working and it took me over 45 minutes at the front desk to get a key for the room while my wife and sons waited at the room door. The room door looked like it had been broken into a few time so I wouldn't leave anything valuable ever unattended. The room had hair all over and seemed to never get really clean. There was a pamphlet we got at arrival that not only slapped us in the face saying it had free Wi-Fi, but it also talked about non-existent nightly family movies and activities. And no one informed you about anything the 'resort' had unless you stood at the front desk for over a half hour and asked. Sooooo disappointed!!!!

3  Thank Lars-Erick C
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Dear Lars-Erick C: We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your review. This is not typical of a guest experience at our resort. We currently have free wifi in the main lobby building and are in the process of getting the wifi to the guest rooms. We sincerely apologize and I would like to discuss your stay with you further. Please contact the hotel and ask for the Director of Operations so I may make this right. Thank you and we do hope you may stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

My 5 year old and I had a blast at this hotel. The out door swimming pool was clean, we had a room that overlooked the pool. The rooms were comfortable and the prices affordable even on Christmas day!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the outdoor pool
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nancywinters68

Dear Nancywinters68: Thank you for your review! We are happy to see you enjoyed your visit with us and look forward to your next stay. Please come back again soon!