“Crappy hotel spoiled my family vacation”

Maingate Lakeside Resort
Ranked #96 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed January 15, 2013

All negative experiences:
- Room: dirty, the carpet is old and filthy. We actually saw cockroaches running inside the room. A hinge on the wardrobe was broken.
- Bed: we found hairs in our beds when we checked in, and saw some yellow marks on the bed sheet. It seems that the janitors only tidy up the bed and didn't change linen after the last guests left. There's no comforter, just a thin, old blanket.
- Bathroom: very small. We saw dead bugs inside the toilet bowl and the bath tub when we checked in, the shower head is also very dirty. The towels also look old and rough.
- Building: quite old, no elevator, so if you stay at upstairs, you need to carry up your luggage yourself. When we first checked in, the room keys didn't work, we had to change to another room.
- Resort fee: the $10 per day resort fee is among the highest in Orlando, but you don't get any service worth that amount of money.
- Worst part: lying about Internet access -- The hotel description on Priceline.com says that "All 475 rooms feature plush bedding, roomy work desks, free Wi-Fi, ..." But the truth is, there's NO Internet in any of the rooms. It's only available in the lobby, which is very far from guest rooms. And even inside the lobby, the WiFi signal is very very weak. Furthermore, even when the computer was finally connected to the WiFi network, I couldn't connect to outside Internet. This caused us a lot of inconvenience, because we needed the Internet to find maps and places to visit, and to stay connected with family and friends during the holiday season, ...
- Front desk staffs: showed no courtesy at all.

AVOID THIS HOTEL!!!

Room Tip: At about the same price range, the Comfort Inn a few minutes' walk away is a much better choice.
6  Thank oxmon
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Dear oxmon: Thank you for taking time to review your stay. We would like to express our sincere apologies for any troubles or inconveniences you may have encountered. We are working on the wifi issue and hope for it to be resolved soon, we apologize for this inconvenience. If there was any outstanding issue not addressed during your stay, please do not hesitate to contac the hotel and ask for the Director of Operations so I may discuss your stay with you and make this right. Thank you and we do hope you come back to visit us again!

There are newer reviews for Maingate Lakeside Resort

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We were there for in June of 2011, not the year that it made me pick. It was nasty and the employees didn't care! Ants! Mold! Super slow DSL that I had to go to the lobby to use the slow WiFi. They didn't even try to move us to another room. We even left 2 days early!! Don't sleep next to a stairwell or ice machine either. And I hope you don't get locked out like I did one late night because it took over 10 mins for them to find the guy to help. I even heard the employees laughing about how the Upper management doesn't care...it was like a get-together for them or something and they didn't care I was listening while on WiFi. They need Hotel Impossible to come in, lol.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank PaulaWolfe
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Dear PaulaWolfe: I would like to apologize for any inconvenience encountered during your stay over a year and a half ago. I would like to assure you that things have definately changed since June of 2011... Please come back and try us out again!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

First of all ,I made a reservation through priceline and confirmed with them,when i reached there they could not find my reservation,took them 75 mins to finally give me a room,the moment i step in my room,it was the dirtiest and cheapest room ever seen,it smelled like mold and the walls and ceilings were wet and green,i called and they said they would give me another room,that one was equally bad and same mold smell,i requested to be transferred to another hotel and they refused,so i had no choice..then comes the best part,no room service,dirty bathrooms,used towels with hair strands,ac would not work,coffee pot did not work,no vaccum in the room,carpet dirty,trash was never removed from room,bath tub was left unclean for 6 nights,

Please do not stay in this hotel even if they pay you to do so.my son is now having reaction for continuous mold smell and unhygenic atmosphere.

Room Tip: pay more and enjoy your vacation. don"t settle for cheap.
1  Thank trinity4151
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear trinity4151: We express our sincere apologies for any inconveniences encountered during your stay with us. This is not a typical experience and I would like to address your stay with you. Please contact the hotel and ask for the Director of Operations so we may discuss your stay. I would like the opportunity to make this right and address your concerns. Thank you and I look forward to making this right...

Reviewed January 6, 2013

we visited 2 years ago and it was great then.we are coming back in september this year and are really looking forward for it. can you anwser some questions.we loved looking for the gators in the lake and we have two before but how big do they get before you remove them and what else is in there because we think we also sore turtles in there.plus what has changed since its bin took over.i no this is for reviews but i really wanted to no the anwers to this questions.have you fort that maybe you should have a bourd in the bar were tourists can take photos of the gators so people that are not lucky anough can see how big they look and what they look like.your hotel is amazing and all the staff.

Room Tip: choose a room near the lake as the view is amazing and its a quiet area.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank nathanwest

Dear nathanwest: We are happy to see you are returning in September to stay with us again! Yes, this is Florida, so there is much wildlife to see - even right in our own lake! There are turtles as you mentioned, fish, and native Florida birds. We have not seen any of our aligator friends for a few months now. We look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I should have paid more attention to the poor reviews of this hotel, because they were correct.

1. Hotel Room
- paper-thin walls: you could hear the person next door coughing or sneezing, going to the bathroom, as well as a variety of other noises! I expect that at an average-priced hotel there will be some noise and no complete privacy, but this hotel went above and beyond in making sure that we could not sleep at night.

- carpet was visibly stained and worn

- there were holes in the room's wardrobe, and the drawers were routinely stuck.

- the bed was as hard as a board. Actually, I think a piece of wood would have been more comfortable.

- the AC unit was very loud and rumbling. Every time it would crank on, we'd jump in our beds awake. The times that it was turned on it was so loud that it would temporarily muffle all the noise outside.

2. The "hotel"

- None of the staff will make eye contact with you. Even while you're asking a question, they will continue to look at their computer screens.

-Wi-fi? what wi-fi??? It never worked in our room!

- The concierge gave us the wrong shuttle service schedule for the Disney Parks. Because we used the schedule he handed us, we had to wait two hours for the shuttle that he said came at a certain hour, but in reality came much later. Moreover, the shuttle was consistently late. The hotel staff "promised to look into it" but never even apologized.

- the location was on a busy route, which was the only likeable thing about this place.

Honestly, this hotel was not worth the price. It is comparable to Motel 6, but with larger grounds!

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MariaD456

Dear Maria D: We would like to express our sincere apologies for any troubles encountered during your stay with us. Your comments are taken seriously and read by the management team. We are continuously making improvements and alway appreciate guest feedback. If any part of your stay was not resolved satisfactorily, please call the hotel and ask for the Director of Operations so I may discuss your stay with you. Thank you and we do hope you may stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

This place has really gone down the tubes. Used to be a good value for the price, but since it lost association with any of the chain names (I've been staying here every December since 1996 and we've seen it go from one chain to another) it's just plummeted. Front desk staff is horrible, rooms are so overdue for a makeover, not as clean as they used to be. SO DISAPPOINTING. The worse part, I posted on their facebook page about the issues I recently had, and it looks like they actually deleted it! It makes my family and I so sad. We really wanted this to be "our place" where we come for our one week every year....and finally after all these years we have to look for somewhere new to stay.

Do yourself a favor, and DO NOT STAY HERE. It's almost become embarrassing to say that I stayed here the past two years (all the years prior were actually ok). It's gross, dirty, rundown, and like I mentioned before, the staff are so horrible.

PS- The one thing I will defend are the restaurant and the bar staff. Even with all the brand changes, these guys have remained the same and really do an excellent job. The negative side, I think even they agree with us on the way this place has gone down hill. So disappointing.

Room Tip: Don't stay here! No matter what kind of room you request, they will not guarantee it and will mo...
3  Thank Dorrie T
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Dorrie T: Thank you for your review. We take your comments seriously and appreciate your feedback. I would like to sincerely apologize for any troubles you encountered during your stay with us. I would like the chance to speak with you regarding your stay. Please call the hotel and ask for the Director of Operations, so I may discuss your stay with you and make this right. We appreciate your business over the years and certainly hope you do plan to stay with us on your next visit to the Orlando area. Thank you and I look forward to making this right. All of us at the Maingate Lakeside Resort wish you and your family a happy new year!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed 3 nights returned yesterday. Online info we printed & room info says free wifi in rooms but there is NO internet in rooms. Musty odor in room & thin walls-hearing babies crying & couples having relations. Grounds are beautiful but outside concrete hallways in need of repair.Room not bright as pictured- dark & gloomy. Clean but rooms not resort quality. Room decor- old-time holiday inn with open bathroom. Need to renovate guest rooms. Metal safe serves as a table.Cold feel. Requests met quickly but not the ambience we expected from online photos.

Room Tip: I don't know what I can say about this. I saw a bright room in the photos, and we entered a dark...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear sharonne M: Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. We certainly take your comments seriously and can understand why you feel this way. We have a lot of exciting plans for the hotel and sincerely hope you may stay with us again in the future. I am happy to see your requests were met promptly by our staff. Thank you and please come again!