“RCI Points used-Very nice resort”
Review of Silver Lake Resort

Silver Lake Resort
Ranked #8 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“RCI Points used-Very nice resort”
Reviewed August 16, 2007

We are a family of four (children ages 11 & 13) and stayed at Silver Lake Resort for 7 nights in July 2007. We were in the larger one-bedroom condo (sleeps 6) and we were in the 300 building.

We were in Orlando on family vacation to Disney World, Universal and a day trip to Cocoa Beach. With all that we had planned during our vacation we didn't spend time enjoying the resort amenities including the pools. All seemed to be clean and enjoyed by those we saw.

We arrived two hours early for the 4PM check in on Saturday. I told Marc at the front desk that we were tired from our drive and anything he could do to get us in early would be appreciated. That's all it took. He got us into our condo right away. He was friendly and very helpful. After receiving our keys we were directed to a desk where the obligatory "would you like a tour" question came. All I had to say was we are there using the RCI points and no more was said about that. Again the staff person was friendly and said that if there was anything they could do to make our stay more enjoyable please let them know.

The 300 building is a walk up (no elevator) but this was no problem at all. We entered to a clean, large one-bedroom condo. Having read previous posts here I was not surprised at all to find the numerous floor-to-ceiling mirrors. We had the dishwasher and the stacked washer-dryer and those were well used during our stay. The kitchen comes with all glass/silverwarre and dishware that you might need during your stay. We brought dish-machine liquid, Tide & Bounce (they only provide small one use samples). There is a Publix grocery store very close (>2 miles) and we were able to get enought groceries for breakfast and lunch for the week.

The King-size bed in the master was wonderfully comfortable; my kids reported that the fold-out full-sized beds were fine. We did not have any plasma TVs. The Living Room TV was large (52" or bigger). There was also a 26-32" in the master and a small TV in the kitchen. All had cable. There were no DVD or VHS players. The master bedroom also comes with a safe (no charge) with electronic key that you set . We had to call maintanance to set this up for us so that we could set our own key number; we used it all week with no problems.

There were two bathrooms; they were clean and well stocked with towels. We didn't take advantage of the free mid-week cleanup and towel exchange.

There was only carpeting in the bedroom and tile everywhere else. I think the tile in the entry hall and dining area could've been cleaner but it wasn't so dirty that I felt the need to complain.

Pros: Location, location location! I know it's been said on this website before but if you stay at Silver Lake you are as close to Disney as if you were staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge (which you can see from the resort property). There's a back gate onto Sherbreth Road that, as you exit and turn left, puts you right onto the Disney property. We NEVER had any problems with traffic into or out of any of the Disney parks.

I would like to warn all about Sherbeth Road -- it seems to have become the preferred cut-through to Disney and so can have heavy traffic. And most driving seem to be tourists (like us) who aren't familiar with where the turns are. We were rear-ended as we were stopped for a car in front of us turning (into the Disney security office no less). We are still dealing with this mess. It has nothing to do with Silver Lake of course.. I just want to warn others to be very cautious while driving on Sherbeth Road.

CONS: 1) Not enough towel racks in the bathrooms! If our condo is for 6 people where in the world are they all to hang their wet bath towels? There was one small towel bar in the master bath and a towel ring in the other bathroom, and that was it. 2) The outside stairwells were filthly. When we arrived there was actually old, dried food on the stairs to our condo. I left it there, thinking that housekeeping would get to it after they cleaned the rooms nextdoor. After stepping over it more than a few times I eventually swept it up for them. I'm sure if I'd reported it they would've cleaned it up, but I don't think I should ask them to keep their stairs free of trash! 3) The Master bedroom and bath are seperated by glass-paneled french doors.. that had NO covering on them whatsoever! And one whole wall in the large masterbath was mirrors. So if anyone's in the bedroom there's no privacy in the bathroom! Some might like that I suppose (wink). Me... not so much.

Parking was fine. The times we returned after 11PM we weren't able to park directly in front of our condo, but were no more than yards away.

We would definitely recommend Silver Lake Resort to any families coming to Orlando, especially those going to Disney World because it's so very close and easy to get to from Silver Lake.

• Liked — Location, location, location!
  • Disliked — What to do with wet bath towels?
6 Thank arkiegal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
CANADA
Reviewed August 12, 2007

We stay at this resort for 16 nights in July 2007- Building 900 Unit 9410!!! It was an awesome resort. Staff was very friendly & willing to do anything to help. We were left messages on our voicemail reminding us if we needed anything to call the frontdesk & also they offered a shuttle for a Sterling Casino Cruise for $5 & gave details on how to book for the shuttle.
Very close to everything by car. The room was clean & all the appliances worked!!! Had a washer & dryer in the room so it was perfect we never had to wait for other people to use it. My family loved the kids pool.
If I had to say a negative comment about the resort the only thing I would say is that they should have a reserved stall for all the units because we usually stayed out late & by the time we came back to the resort we had to park far away from our building but a little walking never really hurt anyone.
I definately recommend this resort for families!!!!

• Liked — Close to everything by car
  • Disliked — Need reserved parking stalls for each unit
3 Thank BELLAVEGAS
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed August 10, 2007

My family and I just got back from a 2 week stay at Silver Laker Resort and I can truly say that it was a great experience. From the day we checked in until the day we checked out, we were comfortable, felt welcomed, and enjoyed all the ammenities. The front desk staff were all very nice...they even printed out our boarding passes the day before we checked out. Anytime I had a question, they were very courteous and found an answer.
We stayed in a 2 BR, 2 Bath unit in the 300 building. The room was clean and VERY spacious. As a matter of fact, for the first week, there were 10 of us in the room...4 adults and 6 kids (ages 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11). We had plenty of space...besides, we spent most of the time in the Disney theme parks or by the pool!
The pool and sun deck are great. My family really enjoyed swimming there!
The resort offers various activites for kids, adults, and families. My kids loved the poolside dancing and games. They also enjoyed the game room.
Silver Lake is in a great location! Minutes from Disney...and right off of RT 192, which has everything you need (places to eat and shop).

Summary:
POSITIVES: Spacious room, awesome pool and sun deck, great location, clean, and nice front deck staff.

Suggestions: Need a few area rugs in the living and dinning rooms (all tile floors), GO WIRELESS...and make it free!, make sure all rooms are equiped with a DVD player (ours did not have one), take down all the mirrors, and update some of the decor.

Overall, we were extremely please with our stay at Silver Lake...it felt like our home for 2 weeks. I would stay there again!

• Liked — Location, pool, spacious room
  • Disliked — internet access - expensive and not wireless
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank MD_to_Disney
Chicago
Reviewed August 10, 2007

I took my wife and four kids to SLR Aug. 3-10, 2007. The moment we entered our suite I knew we were going to be pleased. We stayed in room 10407A that had two bedrooms with king size beds, two bathrooms (one had a huge jacuzzi tub), a living room/dining room combo, a fully equipped full kitchen and a stacked washer/dryer for doing laundry. We even had the opportunity to watch some Disney/Epcot fireworks from our enclosed balcony. We had a wonderful time with minimal complaints. Of course no resort is absolutely perfect. Since there were very few negatives, I'll start my review with these:
1. Most amenities were geared towards an older crowd (perhaps older than 12yrs). Most of the arcade games in the gameroom are either violent or driving games that have a height restriction just to reach the pedals. There was NOTHING for my kids (ages 9, 5, and 3) to play.
2. Activities that were geared towards the youngsters ended up having some kind of participation fee. Though not too expensive, we paid enough just to be there. These small activities should have been included.
3. Our suite ,which was one of the new condos, did not have a DVD player as advertised on their website. We brought with us some movies for the kids to enjoy but never had the chance.
4. Wait time seemed too long for our likings. We called the front desk 3 times in 2 hours requesting for new towels at poolside. Some families didn't wait for the towels. They just left. When I called the activities office to reserve a time slot for computer usage I had to leave a voicemail. Nobody called me back even after waiting 90 mins. I know they get busy but what good is voicemail if nobody is going to check the messages.

Overall, these negative issues are really just non-issues in the big picture. However, if people are expected to buy timeshare here and the presentation includes -how will your kids enjoy our facility- I would hope that they would do more for the younger children.
Now for the good things:
1. Check in and out was a breeze. I think it took 5 mins to check in and less than 1 min. to check out. Marielle did a great job in getting us checked in and into our room.
2. Everybody seemed so happy and friendly. Staff would walk past always smiling and greeting us, EVERYTIME!!! Was each staff member given a "happy-pill" to go with their breakfast??? It was quite refreshing especially after arriving from the airport.
3. The resort was absolutely beautiful, from the main entrance gate, to the landscaping, to the main lobby for registration, to the suite, to the pool, and even to the poolside bathrooms. What an amazing job the staff has done.
4. The reservation department was so flexible. Kristi accomodated all my requests that I had made via e-mail. She wrote back promptly letting me know that she placed us accordingly.

There is no doubt I would stay here if I had a chance to do it all over again. Thanks SLR for the priceless memories.

• Liked — Everybody was so happy and welcoming.
  • Disliked — Wait time on certain things were sometimes too long.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank SavnOne
New York
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We recently stayed at Silver Lake Resort for 3 nights. We checked in early, around 3:00 because our room was ready. We were in the 1700 building, on the 4th floor. We had a two bedroom condo, with the second bedroom in a lockout. Upon entering our condo, I was very impressed. It was much nicer than I expected. It was very modern and nice. There were little imperfections, such as grout stuck on tiles and loose tiles around the jacuzzi in the master bathroom but all in all, it was great. The beds were VERY comfortable, as were the pillows and bedding. Silver Lake also provides Bath and Body Works soaps and lotions which is a brand I frequently use so it was a nice addition.
We did a deal to listen to the timespare session for two Disney tickets. My husband and I travel often about three times a year. We were paired up with Robin, who was very nice but new at the job. We would have definitely been done in the 90 alotted minutes but we basically learned about Robin's whole life. We are a young couple and take time to make serious purchases. When Robin's manager, George met with us to discuss purchasing a timeshare, he was very rude and curt. When we said that a timeshare was something we were interested in but needed to have some private time to talk about it, he became very rude and walked away. He basically sealed the deal that we would not purchase a timeshare.
We did the Magic Kingdom and Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios so we did spend as much time in the rooms as we would have liked. We did use the main pool. Very nice, vary warm. We went in the pool late afternoon and it was not very crowded.
All in all, Silver Lake Resort was a nice part of our two week vacation in Florida. It provided a clean and comfortable place to rest and relax. We would definitely stay at Silver Lake again!

• Liked — The comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Timeshare presentation
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank RoyalSts
New York
Reviewed July 30, 2007

Silver Lake Resort is fantastic. My husband and I spent our 1 year anniversary there. Our vacation was flawless. Silver Lake is gorgeous, clean, and friendly. The resort is 1.6 miles from Disney property, you can't get any closer. Make a left out of the back entrance to Silver Lake onto Sherbearth Rd, make a right onto Disney property. No highways! No traffic! You're there!

Check in/ check out was simple, front desk staff was professional and courteous. The lobby is very inviting; it has a small, convenient store, gift shop, atm, comfortable seating, clean restrooms, tons of travel information and resort representatives are everywhere to help. Visit the tour desk and ticket sales to buy tickets to Disney and area attractions, we saved a lot of money purchasing the tickets at Silver Lake Resort.

The main pool area is spectacular! It is in front of the 1800 building and next to the 1700 building. There is a smaller, quiet pool near the 1700 building.
The main pool is huge, clean, not crowded and has enough beach chairs and towels for everyone. The cabana bar at the main pool provides music and entertainment, serves food and great drinks. There is a nice size hot tub at the main pool area.

The rooms at Silver Lake are amazing. We stayed in the 900 building in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom unit. The room was very, very clean. No odors, no bugs! Air conditioning worked well. Beautiful, new furniture and comfortable, clean mattressess and bedding. The master bathroom is huge and has a jacuzzi tub for two! The kitchen has all appliances and everything you need including a dishwasher and the washer and dryer is a perfect convenience. The balcony area off of the unit is screened in. There is a nice size pool, beautifully landscaped at the 900 building. Plenty of parking close to the building. The trash room on each floor of the building is clean, and emptied often so there are no trash smells! The elevators were great and you can take the stairs. There are no ice machines, so buy a bag of ice and keep it in your fridge!

Silver Lake Resort also has a movie theater and golf simulator. The golf simulator was very fun and helps to improve your game. You can play 18 holes, rain or shine, in air conditioning and watch each swing you take! Silver Lake Resort has a well equipped, and well maintained, gym and work out center with an awesome weight room, cardio machines and saunna. There is an activities center with a huge arcade and gameroom! A computer room with internet access. The resort provides a list of organized and directed activities for kids and families to participate in each day. Best of all, you can walk to everything I decribed at the resort from your room! No driving and parking!

Don't be afraid to take the tour to get information about timeshares at Silver Lake Resort. It is worth it to get the discount on tickets to Disney and area attractions. The sales representatives are informative and not at all pushy. We didn't purchase a timeshare and no one bothered us about it. The sales tour takes an hour or more. Depends upon you.

In addition to being on top of Disney property the resort is just seconds from highway 192 which has tons of shopping centers, stores, restaurants, hotels, attractions and service centers.
The Orlando airport is about 18 miles away, an easy drive, takes about 30 minutes. Sea World and Universal studios are just past Disney, very close to Siler Lake. The front desk has great directions to these attractions.
Check out my pictures!

• Liked — On Top of Disney property, clean, beautiful grounds, well maintained
  • Disliked — leaving to go home
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank MsVacation876
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed July 27, 2007

I've been checking this website daily to read all the reviews to prepare me for my trip. I was very nervous, not knowing what to expect at Silver Lake but we just returned from our trip and I must say that it was sooo much better than I expected. We (myself, boyfriend & 2 kids; ages 10 & 13) stayed in room 8301B in the 800 building. The resort itself is a beautiful place. We checked-in around 3am in the morning and we were done in about 5 minutes. The guy behind the counter was very courteous and helpful. When we were walking down the hall towards our room, I got nervous because the carpet was badly stained throughout the hallway. I couldn't help thinking about some of the pictures here on tripadvisor and the bad experiences people had. I held my breath and opened the door. There was a smaller hallway/foyer inside with the other door to the "A" unit. We walked inside and I was amazed to how beautiful the room was. It was spacious and clean. The kitchen had all the necessary things that you could possibly need to prepare a meal, but it didn't have a dishwasher. There was a washer/dryer in the unit. I layed on the pullout sofa to make sure it was comfy for the kids and it passed the test. The master bedroom was very nice. The bed was so, so comfortable that I didn't want to get out of it. The bathroom had a regular DEEP tub and it was very clean. They even made decorations out of the towels. I have to complain about the shower head, though. It wasn't all that great, but it gets you clean. From our balcony, we had a view of the pond and the playground. We could see the main pool and the 1800 building in the distance. Our building was directly across from one of the pools, nice size and was never crowded. I have a few other complaints..............our unit had tiny ants everywhere but a can of raid solved that. Also, there was NO plasma TV. According to the floor plan that was emailed to me, a plasma TV should have been in the unit. We overlooked that since the kids had a TV to watch and my boyfriend and I had one in our room. Since we were harldy at the resort because of Disney, we really didn't get a chance to see what the resort had to offer. We did go swimming at the main pool and had a nice time. We checked out the arcade room and the kids loved it. FYI, because we were staying at the resort for 1 full week, we were offered a "free" middle of the week maid service. If you have any other questions, please email me.

• Liked — Very close to disney and fast food/ restaurant eateries
  • Disliked — the ant problem
3 Thank Shaygirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Quality Inn & Suites By The Parks
#26 of 152 in Kissimmee
Star Island Resort and Club
Star Island Resort and Club
#24 of 152 in Kissimmee

Been to Silver Lake Resort? Share your experiences!