We are a family of four (children ages 11 & 13) and stayed at Silver Lake Resort for 7 nights in July 2007. We were in the larger one-bedroom condo (sleeps 6) and we were in the 300 building.
We were in Orlando on family vacation to Disney World, Universal and a day trip to Cocoa Beach. With all that we had planned during our vacation we didn't spend time enjoying the resort amenities including the pools. All seemed to be clean and enjoyed by those we saw.
We arrived two hours early for the 4PM check in on Saturday. I told Marc at the front desk that we were tired from our drive and anything he could do to get us in early would be appreciated. That's all it took. He got us into our condo right away. He was friendly and very helpful. After receiving our keys we were directed to a desk where the obligatory "would you like a tour" question came. All I had to say was we are there using the RCI points and no more was said about that. Again the staff person was friendly and said that if there was anything they could do to make our stay more enjoyable please let them know.
The 300 building is a walk up (no elevator) but this was no problem at all. We entered to a clean, large one-bedroom condo. Having read previous posts here I was not surprised at all to find the numerous floor-to-ceiling mirrors. We had the dishwasher and the stacked washer-dryer and those were well used during our stay. The kitchen comes with all glass/silverwarre and dishware that you might need during your stay. We brought dish-machine liquid, Tide & Bounce (they only provide small one use samples). There is a Publix grocery store very close (>2 miles) and we were able to get enought groceries for breakfast and lunch for the week.
The King-size bed in the master was wonderfully comfortable; my kids reported that the fold-out full-sized beds were fine. We did not have any plasma TVs. The Living Room TV was large (52" or bigger). There was also a 26-32" in the master and a small TV in the kitchen. All had cable. There were no DVD or VHS players. The master bedroom also comes with a safe (no charge) with electronic key that you set . We had to call maintanance to set this up for us so that we could set our own key number; we used it all week with no problems.
There were two bathrooms; they were clean and well stocked with towels. We didn't take advantage of the free mid-week cleanup and towel exchange.
There was only carpeting in the bedroom and tile everywhere else. I think the tile in the entry hall and dining area could've been cleaner but it wasn't so dirty that I felt the need to complain.
Pros: Location, location location! I know it's been said on this website before but if you stay at Silver Lake you are as close to Disney as if you were staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge (which you can see from the resort property). There's a back gate onto Sherbreth Road that, as you exit and turn left, puts you right onto the Disney property. We NEVER had any problems with traffic into or out of any of the Disney parks.
I would like to warn all about Sherbeth Road -- it seems to have become the preferred cut-through to Disney and so can have heavy traffic. And most driving seem to be tourists (like us) who aren't familiar with where the turns are. We were rear-ended as we were stopped for a car in front of us turning (into the Disney security office no less). We are still dealing with this mess. It has nothing to do with Silver Lake of course.. I just want to warn others to be very cautious while driving on Sherbeth Road.
CONS: 1) Not enough towel racks in the bathrooms! If our condo is for 6 people where in the world are they all to hang their wet bath towels? There was one small towel bar in the master bath and a towel ring in the other bathroom, and that was it. 2) The outside stairwells were filthly. When we arrived there was actually old, dried food on the stairs to our condo. I left it there, thinking that housekeeping would get to it after they cleaned the rooms nextdoor. After stepping over it more than a few times I eventually swept it up for them. I'm sure if I'd reported it they would've cleaned it up, but I don't think I should ask them to keep their stairs free of trash! 3) The Master bedroom and bath are seperated by glass-paneled french doors.. that had NO covering on them whatsoever! And one whole wall in the large masterbath was mirrors. So if anyone's in the bedroom there's no privacy in the bathroom! Some might like that I suppose (wink). Me... not so much.
Parking was fine. The times we returned after 11PM we weren't able to park directly in front of our condo, but were no more than yards away.
We would definitely recommend Silver Lake Resort to any families coming to Orlando, especially those going to Disney World because it's so very close and easy to get to from Silver Lake.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Silver Lake Resort, Orlando's Best-Kept Secret. Our Luxurious Resort is located 2 miles from Walt Disney Animal Kingdom Theme Park; seven miles from Walt Disney World Resort and just minutes away from other Central Florida's premier attractions. Whether you love your easy access for travel to the local attractions or a nice quiet vacation stay, either way we can accommodate the vacation you desire. *Resort Amenities:23,000 sq. Ft. Clubhouse.9,000 Sq. Heated swimming pool. Zero entry pool between 1000 building and 900 building. Satellite pool adjacent to main pool. Newly renovated cabana serving food and drinks. Large outdoor whirlpool spa, children's pool, outdoor BBQ grills. Gift and convenience shop.Golf simulator, arcade room, enclosed children's play area.Movie theatre, video rentals.Fitness center with sauna, tennis court/basketball court.Business center .Shuffleboard court. *All Villas/Suites Feature:Air conditioning/heat.Television with cable hook-up including HBO.Ceiling fans.DVD players.Fully equipped kitchens.Washer/dryers.Screen patios.Jacuzzi and separate shower area.Built-in hair dryer.King, queen, full and/or sofa sleeper. *Now Completed:316 designer furnished villas now completed32 one bedroom villas84 two bedroom villas104 two bedrooms split villas 72 three bedroom villas Awards:RCI Gold Crown Resort since 1993.Charter member of RCI Points Resorts.Member of American Resort Development Association (ARDA).Member of the Kissimmee/Osceola Chamber of Commerce. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Silver Lake Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Silver Lake Hotel Kissimmee
- Silver Lake Resort Florida
- Silver Lake Resort Orlando
- Silver Lake Kissimmee
- Silver Lake Resort Kissimmee Fl