“Awesome and close to parks!”
Review of Silver Lake Resort

Silver Lake Resort
Ranked #8 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We have stayed in timeshares for 27 years, and this is one of the best places we stayed. It was the most convenient to Disney that we have ever had. We were on the second floor of building 900. The pool across the street was very quiet and had zero entry. This was great for our 2 year old granddaughter. We had a 2 bedroom lock-off set up which was great considering that we were traveling with our son, his wife, and small kids. My husband and I stayed in the smaller unit, and we used the other as the place to hang out. My only complaint is the slow internet we paid for. I would come back to this resort even just to hang out by the pools as we were so busy with Disney that we didn't use the amenities that much.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Check in went quickly at about 5 pm and we were assigned a second floor, 2 BR, 2 BA unit in building 100 which is closest to reception. Parking was available (but not assigned) right outside the unit. We had to carry our luggage up a flight of stairs to the apartment. This building has 3 floors and no elevator. (I did see other buildings on site with 4-5 floors and they have elevators).

The unit was clean and very spacious. It looks like it has been refurbished. This unit sleeps 8. The master bedroom with attached bathroom is large, with one king sized bed, a large area around a single sink, Jacuzzi tub, large shower area and small toilet (in it’s own room with a door). Plenty of storage and a safe in the closet. Flat screen TV and large window with vertical blinds. The bed and pillows were very comfortable.

The guest bedroom is a decent size, with two full beds, and adequate storage. This room was attached to a second bathroom containing a tub/ shower. This bathroom has another door leading to the hallway.

There is NO daily housekeeping service. Midweek towel exchange is provided at no extra charge.

The kitchen is large with plenty of cabinet and counter space. Electric stove/ oven combo, dishwasher, .microwave, full size refrigerator with icemaker. They provided coffee pot (AND PAPER FILTERS), blender, 4-slice toaster.

The living room area is very spacious, with a couch and 2 very comfy chairs, lamps, large flat screen TV. There is a back door from the living room to a walking trail in the back.

They had a nice pool area with a pool bar and some tables. Plenty of lounge chairs and a few umbrellas / tables. There is a separate kid’s pool and a hot tub for adults. Everything is clean! The pool towels are very plush. My only complaint about the pool area is that there is NO shade for any of the lounge chairs.
Overall, I am very happy with the size and cleanliness of the units. The grounds are well maintained. Good activities and a movie theatre for guests. Some activities are at an additional charge. Nice gym with five treadmills, elliptical, weights and a small circuit. Hours are until 10 pm.

I would stay here again, EXCEPT for one complaint. I called the front desk multiple times. They sent someone to fix it multiple times, but in the end, I wasn’t satisfied.

What is my biggest complaint? The wireless internet service at this resort is THE WORST I have ever experienced. First, wireless isn’t free. You have to pay $ 27 per week for a “SLR Activities Card” that includes wireless. Let me list what the SLR activities card covers: discount on resort activities, access to DVD library, USA Today newspaper delivery (M-F), 15% discount on food at the Cabana, 15% discount on food at the gift shop, “Buy1, Get 1 free Domino’s . $ 5 off any purchase of $ 30 or more at Bruno’s Italian Restaurant, 10% discount at Sakura Asian Fusion Restaurant, 10% discount at Millenia Day Spa, 10% off order at Taste of China Restaurant, 10% off at King’s Supermarket, 10% discount on all Sweet Tomatoes Restaurant, “buy 1 game, get 1 free at Mighty Jungle Golf, 10% off total check with China Star (dine in only), In room wireless internet, free Xbox game session with purchase.” For those of you that have been to Orlando / Kissimmee, you know that there are plenty of flyers / coupons for discounts at restaurants and activities. So….what I was really paying $27 a week for was for the WIRELESS INTERNET. Notice how they hide the “In Room Wireless Internet” near the bottom of the list for the activities card. They make it sound like you get a lot for this activity card, when in reality, it’s not really a good deal unless you eat out a lot; it really an encouragement by specific vendors to get more business.

Anyway, my biggest complaint is that I had to pay for an “activities” card to get in-room internet access for TWO devices. The wireless internet was terrible. Awful. Frustrating. Worst that I have ever experienced. It was almost like a necessary evil or I would have cancelled that “activity card”. I complained at least 6 times during my first few days at the resort. They rebooted and replaced the router in the bedroom. When I could get internet, the speed was worse than terrible. I will provide a comparison with some measurements: When I was staying 2 weeks ago at Timeshare # 1 in Kissimmee, they provided FREE internet, but you could pay $ 25 / week for an upgrade to get faster speed. Using Speedtest.net, I recorded the speed at Timeshare # 1 at average of 3.0 Mbps download speed with the paid upgrade. Last week, I spent the week at Timeshare # 2 in St. Petersburg Beach and the download speed averaged 6.97 Mbps; this resort did NOT charge for wireless internet. This week, at Silver Lake Resort (SLR), the speed ranges from 0.11 to 0.44 Mbps. And, note that SLR charges for this “less than wonderful” service. My opinion is that SLR needs to pay ME for my time in waiting, waiting, waiting for things to upload onto my computer.

With a high percentage of people doing some work on their vacation, having good internet and speed is a requirement. SLR fails miserably. If SLR management is reading this, my recommendation is that they review their contract with their internet provider and make some changes. In today’s modern, wired world, they cannot continue to provide such poor service, whatever the reason.

So, the GOOD about this resort is spacious, clean units with lots of comfort. Very convenient to Disney World via Entry Point Road / Sherberth Road.

The BAD about this resort is poor wireless internet speed, No elevators (in some buildings).

Would I stay here again? No, because of their poor wireless internet service. There are PLENTY of other, nice places to stay in the Orlando area where they have nice units, elevators and better wireless service.

If you are looking for a nice family resort that is close to Disney World and you DO NOT need wireless internet for any ipod of laptop computer, I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: If you need an elevator, verify that your building has one. Don't depend upon the wireless inter...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I had been in touch with this resort a few times before our arrival - to ensure they had internet, laundry facilities, shuttles to the Disney attractions, etc. While all the staff have been so nice while we were here, this is definitely not the best place to stay for our needs.

First, I am shocked to read we are in a remodeled building (326D is our room) as it is in poor shape. It is also the hotel sized room and once you open the cot in the common area, there is no room for anyone except in the bedroom so I wouldn't pick this room if there are more than 2 people. There is no laundry in our room, nor is there a balcony. The internet is so so bad we have phoned about 4 times thinking something was wrong, and this is WITH the router in our bedroom. The walls are paper thin and I write this at 10:30 at night listening to the neighbour's doing their dishes and visiting on the other side of the wall of our bedroom - and yes, i can clearly hear them. Maybe the bigger rooms are much better, but the smallest rooms they offer are awful!

the shuttles are cheaper than cabs but run at crazy times - 11 am to Magic Kingdom, 10 am to Epcot. If you don't care about missing the first few hours in the morning at the parks when there are no line ups, I guess these times are ok, but we like to avoid the crowds and go early. The cheapest way to go is to take a cab to Animal Kingdom for less than $10 and then take the free Disney transportation/buses to whereever you want to go. All other parks are $25-30 one way by cab if you don't take the resort shuttle (and the resort shuttle does not go to Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios).

The location is nice and isolated and quiet, but without a car it is not near enough anything to be do-able. Rent a car!

Beautiful heated pool, great prices on food in the cabana.

Room Tip: do NOT pick the smallest/hotel sized rooms....it has no laundry or balcony or room to visit except t...
2  Thank paixful
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I visited Silver Lake for the weekend as a quick family getaway. The check in was quick and easy. The unit was clean but had a little more wear and tear on the furniture than any other resort property that I have ever stayed at. The price was right for a four day three night quick excursion. There was not very much for smaller children to do other than the pool. I probably would not stay here again because I have a six year old that requires a few more activities and entertainment. The movie theatre only had two showing per day so the selections were very limited. There is a small arcade, ping pong and billiard table. This resort is more for adult relaxation only.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have been staying in Timeshare Resorts for a long time. Silver Lake was very nice, clean and very close to Disney or access to other parks in Orlando. We stayed here from 8/3-8/8 (reservation for a whole week). We arrived around 4pm for check in which was relatively quick. We had a 2 bedroom 2 bath (323) and it was huge. The master bedroom/bath was very large - beautiful soaking jet tub. Shower was large. The living space was nice. My only complaint - the glass table in the "dining" area. I have 2 small kids, so it was difficult to keep clean. We put my son in his pack and play in the second bathroom and my daughter (3) in the bedroom. The laundry is loud, but it was nice background while they slept. I didn't think it was noisy outside.

Access to Disney is very easy by use of Sherberth Rd. They give you great directions to and from Disney at the resort desk.

Pool - nice but sometimes crowded - the main pool had all the kids which was expected. Nice pool - sectioned off. Nice splash pool for younger kiddos. Didn't use the pool bar.

There is a Target, Pulbix and Winn Dixie VERY close - Walmart is 6 miles away. I went to Target and some prices were better than Central PA.

Overall the stay was nice. We actually were a family reunion and so we had 3 units - two 2 bedrooms and one 3 bedroom which was also a 1 bedroom lock off. We didn't really have any complaints at all.

We did NOT get the internet package $16 for Mon-Fri, $26 for a week. We used our 3G on our phones. But we don't have any other devices.

Room Tip: We were in room 323, 324 (the family). Those rooms were quiet.
3  Thank liddle1127
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at Silver Lake Resort in late July 2013. The complex appears to be older, but has been updated throughout. Our room was well furnished with modern, attractive furniture and fixtures. Everything was exceptionally clean and the staff was enthusiastic and friendly. We went with a timeshare trade through RCI. We weren't hassled about buying anything. They do have a sales breakfast on Wednesday mornings that you are invited to attend. They were upfront about it and did not push us to attend.

The location was great for getting to Disney parks. They have a back gate that allows you to get to Disney property without using the heavily travelled and congested roads.

We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit with our two sons, age 12 and 9. They slept on a pull out couch. The only reason I didn't give this resort 5 stars is the mattress on the foldout was pretty low quality. It honestly felt like springs covered by fabric, with little to no padding. Very uncomfortable! My kids have slept on lots of foldout mattresses, but this one was the worst!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MCBRS
Reviewed August 3, 2013

On July 2013, my family and I stayed at Silver Lake Resort. We traveled with our two kids (6 and 10 years old and my parents who are over 60.) We had an amazing time! The property is very close to Disney. Although many reports state that it borders Animal Kingdom, I didn't see any parts of Animal kingdom but there was several Disney offices. We did find it conveniently located to all Disney Parks. In fact, there is a shuttle that takes you from the resort to the parks several times a day for a fee. It is right off I-192, very close to many restaurants and supermarkets.

We stayed at a 2-room villa (number 1825g and h). The room was very clean and came with many of the amenities found on time shares: full kitchen, plates, cups, silverware, microwave, etc.) Although the decor was dated, everything was in working order and nothing was broken. The resort is actually currently overhauling all rooms to modernize everything.

One of our rooms had a jacuzzi and a shower and the other had a full bath with a tub. Both rooms had a king size bed in each. It was perfect for sleeping 6. I had my kids sleeping in the pull out couch in the living room.

The best part of the resort was the pool. It opened from 8:00 am to 11 pm. Although many people used the pool daily, it had ample space for everyone. It had various sections including a jacuzzi. The pool's depth range from 3 ft to 5 feet, great for kids and adults. It had a section where people can swim laps. There was a cabana restaurant which served an amazing menu of foods and drinks of all kinds. They are opened from 10am to 11 pm. It was great to be able to buy our favorite smoothie (alcoholic and non alcoholic) and relax by the pool at all times during the day. Towels for the pool are provided at the activities desk free of charge.

The resort has many activities including basketball, tennis, shuffle puck, game room, golf simulator and even a 24 seat cinema. They show movies twice a day at 5 pm and 7 pm. Often the 5 pm showing is a film for kids (I.e. Dispecable me, Finding Nemo, etc.) while the 7 pm tends to be more for adults (often PG-13). They sell popcorn at the Activities desk for 50 cents. The movies selections are new released DVDs. Other activities include Xbox tournaments, karaoke, trivia, tie dye, family bingo, basketball shoot out, among others. Some activities are free while others you have to pay a minimal fee. There are many free activities which we participated daily. The resort sells an activities card for about $26 for the week. All you need is one for the entire family to share. This card gives you many privileges. It allows you to use the wifi the room (4 passwords per card), discounts at many restaurants surrounding the resort including the cabana at the pool, $1 discount for sundaes and soda floats. You can even borrow movies free of charge from the activities room from their collection (100s of movies). We watched many new movies daily. It is definately worth the money.

They serve ice cream sundaes and soda floats every day at 2 pm. The Sundaes are so big that 2 people can eat from one. These cost $3 but if you purchase the activities card it cost $2.

We truly enjoyed this resort and look forward to returning to it with the entire family.

Room Tip: Buy the activities card for $26, you will definitely get your money's worth.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Tito76
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Quality Inn & Suites By The Parks
#2 of 154 in Kissimmee
Star Island Resort and Club
Star Island Resort and Club
#22 of 154 in Kissimmee

Been to Silver Lake Resort? Share your experiences!