“Great Vacation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
iowa
“Great Vacation”
Reviewed February 5, 2007

I was really apprehensive about our vacation to Star Island Resorts after reading some of the posts here. I have to say that all the negitive comments must be from people who are just having a bad day (or year) from the sounds of it. The resort was all 5 of the 5 stars. We had excellent service, from check in to check out. We stayed in the 3 bedroom, which was beautifully decorated and good sized. The only thing that would have been better would have been some easy chairs, the rooms all had couches. But they were very comfortable. We had 8 people and everyone was very pleased. The weather was a bit cold while we where there but the kids still got into the pool once. The resort is very close to Disney.

9 Thank indsguise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
  • Polish first
Austin
Reviewed February 3, 2007

After a terrible experience at the Radisson Celebration, we checked out early and drove around looking for another place to stay. We stopped by Star Island that I had checked out online before we left. We got a room for the remaining 5 night stay for only $55 a night if we would listen to a time share speil.
The room: It was spacious. It was not terribly clean. It was not an efficient layout. The kids had to sleep on a pull out bed that was so uncomfortable that we called for an extra mattress and they slept on the floor. The sheets on the king bed were cheap and scratchy, and the mattress pad was way too small and synthetic and moved around and bunched up at night. The pillows were terrible and very cheap. You about had to kill yourself getting into and out of the large jacuzzi tub, as it was poorly laid out with no step in our out, so you had to walk along the slick marble edging to get out or in. Also, we ran out of hot water before it was filled up completely. The stand up shower did not drain properly and always had some water in it. The toilet continually ran and made noise. The decore was out of date 80's Floridian. Our room key locked us out the second to last day. We called and let them know and asked if they would have it working by the time we got back from Disney the following day. We got back late on Friday and guess what? It was still not working. My husband had to go to the front desk who didn't offer an apology, and we had to wait in the car for about 15 minutes until security showed up to open the door. We never had a room key that worked the rest of the time we were there. We just didn't leave the room again without some in it to open the door. The walls were so thin that we could hear the small children crying and making noise next door. The loud Kaoreoke music at the pool EVERY night until 11 was heard as if in our own living room. The kids had a hard time going to sleep.
You had to pay $25 a day for maid service, extra towels and toilet paper. There was no internet hook up in the room, and you had to pay extra for the one they had in the lobby. They even charged 75 cents a call for local calls. This hotel does not seem 5 star to me. I think whoever gave them the 5 star rating is watering down the rating system. How can you trust the star ratings if this is 5 star?
The time share presentation: Lets see. It was supposed to take 90 minutes and offered a free breakfast. Well, the breakfast and coffee were inedible. The salesman was "just there to help us", and "this isn't a high pressure sales pitch. You can go whenever you want, as I have many people waiting who are wanting to buy". 3 hours later, we had repeatedly said we weren't interested, they kept saying they would give us 1 more minute alone to discuss it, kept offereing us a "better deal", and when we finally had kids doing headstands and we were getting up to leave anyway, they were noticably not happy with our refusal, even though it was "no pressure". There went half of Wednesday. It was a small price to pay though for $55 a night, even if the place was 4 star at best.
When I went to check out the staff was not very friendly. When I asked for a receipt, they couldn't help me since it was a time share deal. When I went to the time share office no one was there, so I left without one. I have no idea what all they are charging me at this time.
In closing, I thought the place was spacious but outdated and not very well laid out. It wouldn't be worth the almost $300 nightly rate at all. They nickle and dime you to death, and you do not feel you are at a top notch resort at all. However, the grounds were nice to look at.

• Liked — Spacious rooms
  • Disliked — Rooms not very clean, not a great layout
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
Hampton, NH
Reviewed January 22, 2007

Very nice resort, beautifully landscaped grounds, fountain displays in all the lakes and ponds, activities almost every hour for the kids and family, Vic Braden Tennis clinic onsite, golf driving range onsite, ski-doo rentals on lake, huge health club facility, game room arcade (with fun non-violent games), 2 large free form pools one with kiddie splash area, kid's playground next to pools, just to name a few of the amenities.

The resort is located off of route 192 which is a honky tonk strip of crazy gift shops and chain restaurants. Actually this was kinda fun since there was lots to see (and laugh at) as we drove up and down the strip. Not to worry though....the resport is far enough removed from this honky tonk. It is very quiet, little to no highway sounds. You feel like you are in a "resort" community.

Our room was huge. It was a 3 bedroom suite. If we brought 2 families it would have been perfect since there were lockout doors for 2 bedrooms and 2nd bath. The room was very clean and well decorated but it had a strange design which left a lot of open spaces here and there. We were told by other guests that there is a new section with even larger rooms. I can't believe anyone would want anything larger. The kids thought it funny to have 4 televisions (like we go to Orlando to watch TV?).

Every night there is a dinner served at the bar/pool area. Most were buffet style. Italian night hosted by Olive Garden was served to our table. Not bad for $6 each.

One complaint would be the front desk check-in girl when we first checked in on Sunday. There were no lines we just walked up and she acted like we were not even there. I was standing 2 feet in front of her and she just did not care about us. Bad first impression but it did not ruin our day. To their credit the front desk was very helpful later on in the week taking care of our needs and questions.

The guys in the pool cabana (where you get towels, rent tennis, etc) were the best ! They acted so happy to be able to serve us. They are the ones that we tipped the most.

My only real complaint is that they schedule all the family activities
i.e. clowns, balloons, jugglers, kareoke, bingo etc at the bar. The bar environment is not bad but I would not want my 10 year old to attend some of the activities due to drinking, VERY LOUD music and the yelling and screaming of some of the bar patrons. I understand they want to sell alcohol but not everyone drinks. Some daytime kids games were down by the pool but everything else is at the bar.

Interestingly, the resort called my home one week prior to our arrival leaving a message that there was something wrong with out reservation. So of course, with some alarm, we called and come to find out it was the timeshare staff trying to get us to set up a tour. I was very upset and asked what was supposesdly wrong with our reservation. She put me on hold and then told me that they did not have the name of our host resort that we traded from (through Interval International). A likely story. I told her as forcefully as I could that we did not want to go on the tour and we did not want to be contacted while at the resort. I added that is she contacted us (for tour or promotion) that we would consider it harassment. According to our wishes...they did not.
By the way the tour gift is $75 Star Island Dollars.

Sorry, don't want to be too negative. We had a wonderful time and the resort was very comfortable. I would go back again next year.

• Liked — Huge clean room
  • Disliked — family activities scheduled at the bar, timeshare tour staff contacted our home prior to arrival
13 Thank FunnybonesHampton
New hampshire
Reviewed January 11, 2007

I just got back from my week at Fairfield Star Island and was compelled to write a review so people do not go here. This resort is rated 5 Star through Interval International and I will do everything I can to get that investigated. I booked this through a vacation getaway and did not check reviews because it was supposed to be 5 star. So you would think all should be fine. NOT. FIrst, upon check in the person was not welcoming, not friendly and not informative. I also asked if there was internet and was told wireless in the lobby and an internet cafe upstairs. That was not true. And it is not free. The only internet access was at the pool bar and outside. It was noisy and in the early AM was cold. The kitchen appliances were very old and poor quality, one of the stove burners did not work and the inside of the kitchen cabinets were filthy. The entire place needed a good cleaning in general. The games in the game room were broken. The amenities - you have to pay for everything, except use of the pool. They have jet skis and kayaks but I would not even let my dog go in that lake. It is more like a dirty lagoon. And if you want clean towels you have to pay $9 each time. There is no housekeeping unless you want to pay $25.00 per day. II really needs to go look at this place and re-rate it so people do not get fooled by the 5 Star rating. Apparently they are not all created equal.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont go there
7 Thank NHTraveler1234
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed January 10, 2007

We are highly apreciated by the hospitality, and service offered at the Star Island Resort and Club. This is by far the greatest resort we have stayed in. We are very pleased by there acomodations and is the second time we decide to stay at this hotel. It is very good for small and big families. Great if you have kids or if you are trying to spend some time along with your spouse.
Recommended many times.

Stayed January 2007
8 Thank bdelae
England
Reviewed December 12, 2006

The room was huge and the place was brilliant, we had a T.V in every room (although the kitchen was a little bit cramped) 2 fridges and 2 cookers the balcony wasnt very big but the weather made it nice. A pizza place, a resteraunt, a store and a electrical store were all just a stones throw away and so was disney and universal. The pool was nice although a little bit chilly but the jaccuzzi was very hot. we had 2 jaccuzzis in our rooms and one was HUGE! the place to stay if you go to orlando is STAR ISLAND

• Liked — all of it
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Tips/Secrets — pack sun screen!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank Mr_True_review
Queens, New York
Reviewed November 26, 2006

We had booked our stay with Fairfield Resorts & were so excited to finally get here after waiting a few months. Being a young couple, the main point of this vacation was to enjoy the parks & just relax.

Pros: Early check-in. Check-in is usually 4pm & we got to check in around 1:30pm, it was also very quickly. They invited us to a timeshare meeting (lasted 30 minutes for us) which saves you a lot of money on the parks, & dinner shows. You choose which savings options out of many. The rooms were very Florida welcoming, which was nice since our vacation spot was Florida. Basically the whole resort was very nice. We stayed in a 1 bedroom "B" lock-off suite. An amazing jacuzzi with columns next to the bed, that was great to relax & watch tv in. The main street (highway) was close by with countless amounts of restaurants. The shuttles to the parks were very fair in prices. $10 per person round trip to Disney & $14 p/p r/t to Universal. Also, there are great savings in the front Concierge desk.

Cons: The suite was for up to 4 people. There was only one toliet, which was in the bedroom. The jacuzzi obviously wasn't closed off, but the shower was glass doors so it was see-through. This we didn't mind, but if we had other people with us, that would have been a problem. Now i'm not too sure about the food topic, but when I asked earlier today if there was anything besides hot dogs, the lady said no, that's all for tonight. It was only 6:00 & the hot-dog stand next to the pool was closed for the night (when the pool stays open til 11pm.) There should always be food on site for people to eat when they get hungry. Even the hot dog price was ridiculous, from being born & raised in New York I don't expect to pay any more then $1.50 for a hot dog from a cart & they charge $3.50 (that's bananas). The prices for everything is ridiculous. I guess that's what you get for staying at a "FiVE STAR HOTEL". The game room for kids is pretty boring with no more then 7, 8 different games, nothing special AT ALL. The pool is nothing special either, it's pretty small in size & doesn't go past 5 feet. There isn't a shuttle from your villa to the main part of the resort. We had a good 10-15 minute walk each way, which was not enjoyable.

I hope I helped with your decision about staying at this resort. The basic outlook was pretty good, as it was somewhere to rest our heads when we weren't at the parks.

• Liked — Very close to parks & cheap shuttles to parks
  • Disliked — no shuttles to villa from entrance, the pool
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank hisbabyqiirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Quality Suites The Royale Parc Suites
#25 of 152 in Kissimmee
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 152 in Kissimmee

Been to Star Island Resort and Club? Share your experiences!