“Nice but not superb”

Star Island Resort and Club
Ranked #23 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 15, 2010

we had 3 kids aged 6-10 with us. Unit newly renovated and very clean & nice. Family of 5 actually fit in smaller unit with 2 double beds in one room and one sleeper sofa in separate living room with kitchenette (microwave, small frig, 2 burner stove, sink, cabinets, etc.). Staff friendly to us and kids. Location excellent; convenient to Disney, restuarants, etc. Weather was lousy so we were interested in resort activities--not much to do there really. Pool not heated above 66* while we were there, so not warm enough to swim much when air temp was around 55*. Poolside DJ nice and on one day tried a few games for kids, e.g., hula hoop contest, but pool was too cold for the planned pool games and contests. Craft projects cost $, so did make-your-own-sundaes and arcade games. We tried free bucket of balls for golf one morning but found all tees broken, only putters (not drivers) for use (due to insurance they say) and golf shack hard to find. Playground was nice. Karaoke night was a bust--its held outside and it was cold, windy and damp--we were only family to even show up but DJ gave it a heroic try. Magic show at pool bar was 30 min, free and fun, though. We all enjoyed it. Vistied WonderWorks for inside science fun (good for about 2-4 hours) and also visited lobby of Gaylord Palms hotel for alligator and fish feeding (about 4 acres to walk around with shops and restauarants all inside, self-parking for $12 or valet for $20) but was something to do in the cold/rain. Resort makes nice, classy impression when you drive up and grounds and units are kept very nice.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Star Island Resort and Club

Reviewed December 11, 2009

We traded our timeshare through Interval International to stay here for a Dinseyworld Trip. While it isn't five star, it is definately a very good place. The suites we got were HUGE, with plenty of room for a family of four, and granted the decor was a little 'dated' but - again - it was all good enough. It is about a 5 minute drive straight into the parks - easy enough access - and in Orlando since we're out the door by 8 and not back until the parks close we didn't need much more than easy access and a great room.

This might not be a "great resort", but it has a good pool for relaxing a day, friendly staff, enough 'little' things to make you comfortable, and again easy parks access.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed December 6, 2009

My parents are wyndham property owners and have raved of all the resorts they have stayed at around the country so when my husband needed to make a quick continuing education trip to Orlando we thought we would stay a few extra days. Upon arrival looked kinda like a cool property but we were skeptical b/c the area looked a little rundown. The front desk staff was nice but that was the last bit of service we received. As a busy professional I need to have access to email and the office. The Free wifi was free b/c it did not work except for a few minutes at a time! Disney is about a 10 - 15 minutes drive away which was nice but overall; the location, the last of service quality and the overall 'cheapness' of the resort - Never again!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 3, 2009

This review is being written mostly to advise people that the resort does not have elevators. My mom is older and we were never told or read on the website that the resort is not very accomodating to those with physical disabilities. Even when we checked in, they could clearly see her needs, but still assigned us a room on the second floor. They also do not provide a service to help with luggage. If you use a wheel chair, getting around will be very difficult.

I also could not recieve or send text messages, depending on the time of day and where I stood in the hotel room. So if you have to work on your trip, you may want to check if there is a designated area with cell and internet reception.

Oh, and if you want extra towels on any days other than Tuesday or Thursdays, you must pay $9.00 per towel.

I gave the hotel a poor rating becasue for the cost, it just does not add up to a resort or upper class place to stay. To me, it appeared to be an average family hotel without many frills. No elevators, no luggage service, no video game in rooms for kids, no activities for toddlers, the water pond at the entrace was a dark sickly green, and I was concered over the cleanliness of the pools.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 2, 2009

This is my second time satying at Star Island and I have received nothing but excellent service from the staff. IMy only complaint is that the room we received did smell to it but we cleaned the room and used some Febreeze to get through that. Besides that we had an excellent trip.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 15, 2009

We stayed on an exchange and found this resort to have none of the problems cited by others. Our room was immaculate, the staff was friendly and the Timeshare people contacted us only once and did not pressure us. As we were on an exchange we did not have to pay for Internet access which was surprisingly quick. We went at this time to avoid the typical unruly 8 and uppers. There are enough amenities to satisfy anyone who wishes to stay at the resort and avoid the Parks. Once you turn off of rte 92 which is extremely busy, you are transported to somewhere else.
Since they were also redoing the parking lots there was some shortage of slots but we never found it to be a real hassle and I would rather see maintenance being performed.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2009

PROS: Low Special Rate was well worth the accomodations. Stayed here before, and have always found the villas very clean. Convenient location to restaurants, Disney and other attractions. I would stay here again, and I have recommended to friends.
CONS: PARKING!! Always a problem when you get back in the evening, Especially, handicap accessible!!...even though there was a notable improvement from the last stay. WIFI charge of $10 a day in the villas!! I think this is outrageous! I was told when I called there was WiFi availability in all villas, but no mention of charge...so I brought my laptop to check my email, etc, which I would not have done! I HATE being "nickeled and dimed", and want straight answers when asking these type of questions. I would have found it helpful to have a small convenience store on the premises (they obviously have the room for it).

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Quality Suites The Royale Parc Suites
#27 of 154 in Kissimmee
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 154 in Kissimmee

Been to Star Island Resort and Club? Share your experiences!