“Great location for area attractions”

Star Island Resort and Club
Ranked #23 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wisconsin
“Great location for area attractions”
Reviewed April 7, 2009

My wife and I and our 2 daughters ages 11 and 13 spent Spring Break at this condo resort. The usual sales pitch was given upon check in but no pressure after that. We stayed in a 3 bedroom unit which consisted of a Master Suite with a 2 bedroom lock off which was actually a one bedroom with 2 full beds and a kitchenette/den with a sleeper sofa. Every sleeping room had a flat screen TV as did the living room so no arguments there. The unit's "contemporary design" with accompaning furnishings were somewhat dated and tired. However it was quite functional. We did Sea World this trip which this resort is only 15 miles from. The resort is on Hwy 192 and with the renovations this makes for a great daytime stroll and has numerous restaurants as well as grocers. The pools were adequate with the usual DJ and steamed hot dogs. Lots of space for sunbathing and the daily activities were predictable but well organized.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank rjandmj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Polish first
Florida
Reviewed April 6, 2009

We stayed at Star Island for two nights- a Friday and a Saturday. Firstly, to be fair, we own two timeshares, both two bedrooms, one at Wyndham and one at Starwood, so the expectation I have while traveling may be a bit elevated in terms of accomodations. We booked this last minute- it was the only thing available to take our 6 year old over to Orlando for the weekend, so we had to take the studio one bedroom, which is smaller than what we are used to- but I don't factor the size of the room into this review.

The room- dark, musty smell, air conditioning not working upon arrival. No washer/dryer (which I've never seen in a timeshare) but perhaps that's because the size of the room??) There was a pay laundry facility outside our door for guest use. Beds- SUPER UNCOMFORTABLE!! The room felt dirty (maybe because of the musty smell) and I could actually see stains on the carpet. The entire time I was there, I didn't feel like touching anything, and almost wanted to leave on Saturday and not stay over another night. It definitely needs a remodeling. OH, and I have to mention the shower/tub. There is a huge wall to climb over to get into the tub, so if you are under 5'8" (or so) you may want to bring a ladder to get into the shower. I am 5'10" and it was a bit tricky to climb in and out. It was just comical.

Maybe this was just an old room? don't know, and the resort was packed from Spring Break. Obviously some must think the place is great! :)

They did come immediately and fixed the air once my husband called, but the musty smell never really went away. The resort on the outside is okay- decent pool area but not great, and they have a watersports area which looked to be interesting. I didn't see any other rooms, so maybe it was just our room, as I wrote previously, the place was packed. However, I would never stay at this resort again- and I'm not THAT picky of a person, so for me to state that, it just wasn't a great stay.

FYI- 1. Wireless Internet is Free for Wyndham and Star Island owners -everyone else pays a daily rate. 2. Friday's Restaurant delivers- so if your arriving late and need some food- I didn't see a room service menu- they have a little cafe /store that's open in the day by the pool.

Also, we asked the concerige about reservations at the T-Rex Cafe over at Pleasure Island -Downtown Disney and she said that 1. they don't take reservations (yes they do) and 2. when I asked her about the hours, she said she didn't know, but it had to be the same kind of hours that all the OTHER restaurants have over there. I almost laughed. I ended up going back to our room, googling the restaurant, getting the phone number and calling myself to get the information. I hope she's not working for tips.

By the way- T-Rex cafe at Disney- great place for the kids- think Rainforest Cafe, but much better, with a dino theme. It's not scarey, and the food isn't bad (think Applebees or Chilis quality), and not overly expensive- if you watch it a bit. I believe the menu is available on-line- and yes, make reservations in advance. While waiting the 90 minutes to get in, we just hung out at lego world next door :)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank bccballermom
Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 2, 2009

Stayed in a recently updated 3 BR (2 BR and den, really) unit at Star Island Resort. Extremely pleased. Furnishings were new & modern, no sign of the '80s decor others had mentioned. Parking was abundant and convenient to the room, often a problem at other Disney-area timeshares we've stayed at previously. Great family resort features, with two great pools (one kid oriented), an extensive fitness facility, plentiful tennis courts and more. Free in room wi-fi. 4 TVs in the unit, all large LCD flat screens. Great location, 10 minutes to the Disney parks. Probably the nicest of the 4 Disney area timeshares at which we've stayed (and we always stay "Gold Crown" or equivalent).

Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank crnd
nj
Reviewed March 29, 2009

my family and i stayed at this property for a week in late march. I can honestly say our room was clean and well kept. Although there were a few issues the housekeeping crew assisted rapidly.

the activities at the pool were enjoyable for our 8 year old. we did not attend any of the evening parties

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2009

We stayed at the Star Island Resort from March 1-8, 2009. The resort is very well maintained and as you drive in, you are welcomed by fountain and flowers bed all around the drop off area. Very pretty. Lobby is spacious and check in was quick. We had a small issue with the unit assigned to us and Matt, the front desk rep along with PJ the manager on duty were quick to assist us and provided us a unit that truly made us happy. We were in building 18, which is not located by the pool - but this is what we wanted, as it is a very quiet area. We had unit AB, which is the largest one available, comprising of 2 full bedroom (one with king size bed and double jacuzzin and walk-in shower). Full kitchen with lots of space all the ustensile, cookware and pots that you might need. Appliances are full size and include washer-dryer (stack type) and worked perfectly. I made many many margaritas with the blender supplied. The unit also had another full bathroom and another smaller room like a den and had a total of 3 TV and a balcony. Very very beautiful and extremely quiet. The only bad thing, not a resort fault, but the last 2 nights we had very very noisy neighbors who played loud music at 1:00pm. But we called security and the matter was very quickly addressed and resolved. The resort is a 'gated' community which add to the security of the guests. The pool is wonderful and there is a lot of space to sit and there is a DJ to entertain. The gym is beautiful, with TV and excellent machine, although the ventilation was very poor and it became very hot very fast as you workout. The main change room has a dry sauna and a steam sauna et also include a big hot tub. It is very beautiful and spacious, with lots of towels and space to keep your stuff. Check out was great, although I was a bit surprise that we were not given a final statement at check out to show that we owed nothing. In retrospect, I think that I would probably insist next time that something be given to me, to ensure that no amount will be charged without my consent. But I would highly recommend this resort and again a big thank you to Matt and JP (I sure hope I got their name right) for all their help at check-in time. That personal service was truly appreciated. We are definitely planning to return.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pounette166
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed March 21, 2009

We were given time share points as a gift and we chose Star Island because we wanted to be near Disney. I think if we had not been given this gift we probably would have just stayed on Disney property.
We were there Thanksgiving week and really enjoyed the pool and hot tub in the 3 days we were there before Thanksgiving. After that it was swamped with teenagers. The families with little kids were fine but the unsupervised teenagers annoyed me. Besides the teenagers, the pool was probably the best part. There is a lunch counter in the gift/snack shop as well as a hot dog cart next to the bar and we enjoyed lunch from both on our non-park days. You definitely do not want to do your shopping in the snack shop or even the store at the resort entrance. I forgot to pack hairspray and a bottle of it at the snack shop cost me $7. Go to Walmart to get what you need.
As for the suite, we stayed in a first floor one bedroom suite. The layout was odd: the bedroom was right next to the walkway and you could hear everything. We even took a blanket and hung it over the curtain rod because the blinds weren't good enough. My husband ended up sleeping in the living room on the pull-out because other guests would use the luggage cart and roll it past our windows over the brick walkway...very loud. I would have asked for a 2nd floor had we known that. We ended up leaving the pull-out couch pulled out because the couch was more like a wicker loveseat and it was too stiff and formal to relax on.
The bathroom and kitchenette were fine for the two of us. The mini fridge fit our water, beer and milk. We had to call twice to get our towels replaced but it was a holiday.
I don't think a one bedroom suite is big enough for more than 2 people.
We were looking forward to water sports but at the time the lake was closed because of an overgrowth of some lake plant.
Probably won't go back.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lucy7852
Chicago
Reviewed March 12, 2009

I have traveled all over the world to various hotels and never once have I had such a bad experience. I have been to several Marriott's which I love, as well as various Sheraton and Wyndam properties. This property is a decent property but fairly old looking. The only thing that I enjoyed was the karaoke. Very amusing as well as entertaining. Loved it, Loved it!! However, after I returned from my trip I recieved several charges on my credit card that were not authorized by me. I contacted the manager Doug and he informed me that there was a cleaning expense. (Well why am I paying maintenance fees?) I think that they just wanted to steel money! Buyers be aware. I am filing a law suit because it is the principle of the matter. Hopefully they will learn there lesson not to do this to anyone else. I would not recommend this resort to my dog. Although I had an unfortunate situation the rooms were pretty roomy. But that didn't matter once I recieved that surprising bill.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank lovely101
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Quality Suites The Royale Parc Suites
#25 of 152 in Kissimmee
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 152 in Kissimmee

Been to Star Island Resort and Club? Share your experiences!