“our first and last time here”

Star Island Resort and Club
Ranked #19 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
GreenLeadersSilver level
AtlantaGA
“our first and last time here”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

It took us 20 minutes to check in because they lost our reservation but thank goodness we had our printout . Our room was small with an odd layout and had a musty smell. The room was full of spiders on the beds with cheap linens and old furnishings....sortof had an eeky feel to it. I put a towel down on the couch to sit on it which I chuckled about and we all had to wear our socks the entire time to keep our feet from getting dirt on them...(yes a bit nasty). I was truly disappointed because we were so happy with the Bonnet Creek location and thought this would be somewhat comparable....NOT. The grounds are well maintained and it looks nice from the outside but this is definitely a sheep in wolfs clothing. The pool area is nice and clean but we werent sleeping in the pool so they get 2 stars from me. They have a few scheduled activities throughout the day which is nice if your not traveling outside the resort. The bingo looked fun and the kids seem to enjoy themselves. The bar area is also nice and it appears that they even sell knock off handbags and Dre Beats (yes the fake stuff) by the pool...which is quite surprising since its illegal to do so....but it was funny. First and last time here for sure. We were supposed to be sitting in the owners breakfast this morning but we passed on it. Bottom line..the kids may enjoy it but for an adult only vaction....stay elsewhere.

2 Thank WhoaNellyNell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Polish first
Albany, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I exchanged into Star Island through Interval International. I booked a 1 bedroom with a full kitchen. I was assigned a one bedtoom lockout unit with a convenience kitchen. We were put in the building that is furthest out on the property, I explained that I had my 2 1/2 yo grandchild with me and would like something more convenient but they were unable or unwilling to help. There are no continuous sidewalks around the resort so as you are walking to playground or pool you have to walk in the parking lot behind the parked cars which I thought was quite unsafe. Also none of the stairwells are marked on the units, I usually like to take them at least sometimes during vacation. We happened upon it by opening doors and it was very industrial pipes, pumps etc. I thought they should be marked for emergency exit. One of the reasons I chose this resort was the inflatables for the little ones to bounce on. They did not inflate them stating the bar was under construction and they would be in the way of the progress of the project so the kids suffer so they could build a new bar? All resorts i have exchanged in to offer gas grills, this resort has old style charcoal grills. There was no blacony on the unit we were given which is something that I do enjoy when we come to Florida. We felt vety closed in and the unit was quite dark the only way to get light was to leave the drapes open to the walkway where people were passing right by the window? The activities planned were pretty below par not much effort went in to this program. On the bright side it was one of the few resorts that actually had nonstick pans for cooking, it was decorated nicely and mini golf if free. Hope this has been a help to you when choosing your Kissemme/Orlando area resort.
PS: We expereinced quite an assortment of bugs in our unit.

Room Tip: Do not get an A unit, ask for one closer to amenities bldge 11-14
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank beachcomber2012
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We just got back from staying at Star Island. When we pulled up, we were pleasantly surprised! Beautiful grounds, pool, hot tub! Our room wasn't ready when we got there, but they asked for my cell phone number and said they would call as soon as it was ready, and that we could use any of the facilities that we wanted in the meantime, they called within 20 min!!! We loved our room, we had a 1 bedroom, it was so nice! If there would be one complaint, it would be that the bathroom was in the bedroom, so with 4 people we sometimes had to wait if someone was in the shower. However we were not there a lot with everything that was so close to the resort!!
To those who complain about every little thing... I've stayed at bad resorts, and this is not one of them! Bugs? It's Florida! There are bugs everywhere! The room that we had could use a little updating, but the beds were comfortable, the sofa bed was comfortable too! Enjoy your stay there!!! I know we really did!!!
Also... TGIFridays delivers to the resort! Sweet!!!

3 Thank sharien1974
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed in bldg 19 mini suite 1956A. We own at Marriott Ocean Pointe and traded our lock off for this unit. Not a Marriott but no problems here. 2 double beds were very comfortable. Kitchen area was a little disfunctional, but had everything we needed. The refrigerator was in the living area, dishwasher, sink and 2 burner stove in the kitchen area. The only noise we heard was a child running above our heads at night and in the a.m., but that is to be expected. We had a great time at karoke at the pool bar. Pool was clean and grounds were beautiful. I was quite skeptical after reading some of the reviews, but very happy they did not make me change my destination.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shraylene
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed at star island for 4 nights starting on March 23. The hotel itself is very nice and clean. The wifi is absolutely poor and there is no cell phone service in the room itself. Another thing I was not happy with is if you need more towels more than once in your stay they charge you $9.00 each time! If I ever needed them to bring something to my room I needed to ask if there would be a charge or not just to make sure. Also if you would like to use the ping pong table, or use a basketball, basically needed to use something from the towel hut (everything is in there) you needed to put money down. We did like our stay it was just that there are many charges that are unnecessary.

2 Thank Sarahbabes3
South Setauket, New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

At times the service at the front desks was less than satisfying. Received the runaround, sent from one desk to the next. They did help, however with printing out boarding passes. Wifi is SLOW and only when functioning. Frustrating, if you like to use IPAD or laptop during downtime.
Accommodations were fine. We really liked the layout of our two bedroom suite, very spacious with an adjoining hall. Perfect for friends or bringing Mom along or if you have teenagers who need their own space. Did find tiny bugs on the stovetop. The rest of the rooms were fairly clean, but it was clearly not a renovated unit. Pool, little shop and other amenities were nice, perfect for families. Location to sites was

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Devonshire1212
Beaufort, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was our first trip to Star Island and our first trip with our grandchildren to Disney. I was a bit aprehensive based on some of the comments but am very pleased we stayed here. I really cannot say anything negative about this resort and my wife and I are seasoned travelers. Location is close to everything. Check in was smooth and efficient. The 3 bedrooms were clean and very nice accomodations. The one repair issue we had was taken care of the same afternoon. There is plenty of on campus activities. We will definately consider another stay at this very nice resort. Thanks for helping us make some memories!

Room Tip: Building 18 is on the perimiter and very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family