“Not as advertised!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
St. Helier, United Kingdom
“Not as advertised!!”
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Be very careful! We were misled by the Interval International wording and ended up in two lock off units? It technically has a 'full' kitchen but it has no storage and no work top space! You certainly can't cook a meal here! The kitchen, diner and lounge are the same size as a bedroom in, say, a Sheraton or Marriott resort. There were four adults in our party and there was only one small sofa that seated three people! The furniture was generally very cheap and shoddy. There were no cleaning or housekeeping services provided -unless you paid extra! There were no water sports available when we were there! The staff were unhelpful and refused to try and help us out. They said it was II policy to only allocate lock offs? We even offered to pay for an upgrade as we were there to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, but the manager said we could not upgrade at all! Very poor service, only an average resort (3 star at best) and the staff clearly have well rehearsed answers for what is a common issue, I.e. they do not provide what you think you are getting and then lie in saying they can't change things! The wording on their own website is deliberately misleading because they do not offer two bed units at all! The floor plans do not show what we were given! Please avoid this resort unless you are confirmed into a "B" unit. All other options are small units! We will definitely not stay there again and would advise everyone to go to any other resort if possible!

Stayed October 2012
4 Thank AndrewMallet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Polish first
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This Property is overall an amazing. Somewhat highend. But this place lacks in Service. Everything is nickel and dimed on items that should be included. Stayed here for two weeks. NO HOUSEKEEPING OR CLEAN TOWELS INCLUDED. Be prepared to pay $10/night for clean towels and $25/night housekeeping. Services that should be included. Thers an Ice bucket in the room but no ice machine. Called front desk and was told Thers a fridge with an empty tray of ice for you to make your own ice. Its a shame because this place could easly be 4 stars if it had proper service. Highly disappointed and would not recommend. I stayed at cypress creek before and even though the buildings are nothing special, the rooms wer much nicer inside and have better service for the same money. Also my room at star island had failed appliances which sucked. This rooms are not well maintained, again no housekeeping.

• Stayed November 2012
7 Thank Forkexpress
Davenport, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Very large, well maintained resort with a great location for your Disney vacation. Can go up 192 or over 535 to get to Disney. Left on 04NOV2012, the miniature golf course was under construction and renovations were also being done to the units toward the back of the resort.
Stayed in building 23. Beautiful large (~850SF) one bedroom, jacuzzi tub and separate shower, king size bed, two flat panel TVs, porch (no screen), full kitchen, washer/dryer.
Super Target (192) and Walmart (535) are less than one mile away. Walmart has the lowest gas prices around.
They do the hard sell even when trying to schedule the timeshare presentation. I declined and the woman went from friend to foe very quickly. Just wanted my parking pass.
Had some issues (blender didn't work, lock stopped working). Housekeeping quickly remedied the blender. The lock was more involved and took too much of my precious vacation time.
The karaoke is as bad as other reviewers have stated. I guess the resort makes good money from the bar bills, so they allow it to go on until well after 11PM. One night was rap music, which I did not appreciate.
Nicely equipped gym, but had kids playing on the equipment when I went. They left shortly after I arrived so not a problem.
I did not participate, but there are lots of activities.
Check-in was accomodating as I requested an upper floor in a quieter section of the resort.
4 stars, knocking a star off for the lock problem and the karaoke.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lp1962
Miami, Florida
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went to Orlando on the last week of Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios since we needed an affordable place for a family of 7 to stay close to the park, my internet research led me to a place in Kissimmee called Star Island Resort and Spa. It is extremely a nice place with lots of activities for every member of the family to enjoy from the youngest to grandma. It is not really a luxurious place where the jetsetters go, but it is nice nevertheless.

There is a big lake for water activities that, unfortunately, we did not partake because it was being cleaned at the time. There is also a swimming pool, an arcade and a gym right by the lobby area. For the adults in the family, on the second floor, there is an open area to enjoy a beer, a margarita or any other drink while you listen to 80's music on the backgound. There are plenty of places to eat as well: TGIF, Taco Bell, McDonalds, etc.

I only have one complaint about this place. There was no elevator in our building; we were on the 3rd floor. When grandma has a bad knee and cannot walk up the stairs, it is not a good situation to have. The soda machine on the first level stole $3.00 from us. What can we do? The place is nice overall though. There is plenty of space in the rooms; it gives everyone some privacy which I like.

Room Tip: If you have an elderly in your family, request a room that has an elevator in the building.
4 Thank jordi4_12
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The Star Island Resort wasn't quite what we expected, but that can be a good thing too. We were misled by the term "resort" and what we were told was a full kitchen. The kitchen was a two-burner stove, small dishwasher, and microwave/oven (new and very cool, but there were no instructions and we couldn't quite figure it out). There were a lot of renovations being done, but we believe we were in a renovated room. The tub was a little dirty and so dangerously deep each of us slipped as least once trying to climb out - we would definitely have to reconsider if traveling with older and/or less flexible guests. The noise at night was out of control, though. With the amount of people and the size of the property it was quite difficult to keep guests even moderately 'under control'. The pools were great, the events they had throughout the weekend were wonderful for guests who decided to stay on property. The bar near the pools played music at night and we even heard some karaoke. If we returned we'd ask for a larger suite, which will hopefully drown out the evening noise and a shower versus the mega-tub option (if possible) .

Room Tip: Try a renovated room and if you're traveling with older or less flexible guests, ask for a showe...
3 Thank ourfloridatrip
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I would have to say I will never stay anyhwere else when I am in orlando.... Amazing stay! Excellent! When we first drove onto the property we loved the scenery and when entering the room we where so thrilled it was more than we expected!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank MrsKCollins
Warsaw Indiana
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I had a relative tell me about this resort so I looked at the reviews and decided to give it a try. We had a room that would sleep 6 but there was only three of us. It was very nice and very quiet. We hardly ever saw anyone around the place. The one drawback was the timeshare people that press you hard as soon as you sign in to have one of their tours and breakfast. I have been through these many times before and i told the lady that I wasn't interested in it but she wouldn't give it up. To me its not worth a cheaper ticket to DisneyWorld to be pressured into buying something that I wasn't interested in. After you get those vultures off of your back then I would say give it a try. There isn't any maid service through the week for you unless you pay extra for it but i don't need to have someone make my bed, I can do it myself. They will bring you fresh towels on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday if you call and ask. I would go back again but i HATE those timeshare people.

Room Tip: We ask for a double room and got two double beds and another room with a king size bed. Two bathroom...
4 Thank kingdom1955