“Stayed here a few times”

Star Island Resort and Club
Ranked #19 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Alabama
“Stayed here a few times”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2008

I have stayed at Star Island a few times in the past couple of years. I basically go down a couple times each winter/early Spring for Cheerleading competitions at the Wide World of Sports, and this resort has been perfect for us. We get the small A side since it has always just been me with one of my children. I agree that the decor is outdated, but I sort of expect a little cheesiness in Florida!
Last month I stayed for four nights with my 6 yr old son and he had a blast. He loved the pool and the arcade and just liked walking around the property. We weren't there much between going to Disney parks and competitions but it was really great for us. One night we were so tired that we just went back to the resort and ordered pizzas and salads delivered. We didn't get to do any of the activities at the pool, etc although I would love to sometime.
We have never had any troubles with our rooms at all. I do wish there was maid service, but we just try to keep it as neat as we can, so it's no big deal.
I am going in two weeks with my teenage daughter and we are planning to spend all non-compeititon time by the pool, and also to make use of the spa. So I guess the next trip will be the real test.
The only thing I hate is the sales calls and pressure. I hate it. But I just tell them I will be busy with competitions and do not have time for any of their meetings. This last time they put on the pressure but I just ignored them

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of food!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank AlabamaRainbow1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2008

I stayed here quite a long time ago but i think it was worth me reiewing it as i thought it was great. It is a well designed masterplan. looking back at images now though, i do feel it is in need of a refurb. The atmosphere was lovely and it is a lovely base to explore orlando from. we stayed in a 2 bed unit which could be split into two separate apartments. They are pretty big and compare to the Hiltons grand vacation 2 beds. personally I prefer the Hilton, but this was still lovely.

• Liked — nice pool areas
  • Disliked — dated furniture
  • Stayed August 2004, traveled with family
2 Thank phukdesign
kenosha, wi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2008

After reading a few reviews we were a little scrared. We traded our timeshare from Las Vegas to Star Island this year and when we arrived it was a pleasant surprise. Interval International has it as a 5 star resort and thats who we usually go by. As soon as you enter the property and go down the driveway across the lake, you know it is a very nice place. Once inside the lobby to register it was very clean and looking like a 5 star resort! Once in the room , there was plenty of room for the 4 of us, and again very clean and everything was in working order. The heated pools were clean and plenty of activites offered by the resort, including the upstairs bar at night! Star island is in a great area plenty of things to do and see, shopping, eating......and Disney is only maybe 8 minutes away ....and easy to get around. I would recommend this resort for adults and kids.

Stayed January 2008
9 Thank sharkyb
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2008

First you must realize THOUSANDS of people stay at the Star island resort every year and your going to have a few bad apples. Look up the fanciest resort you can think of and there will be negative reveiws too.Ok on to the resort.. Our unit was a 2 bed-lockout which means it was 2 units seperated by a set of doors. Our unit was HUGE! It had washer,dryer,full kitchen,all cookware,coffee maker,2 tvs,3 telephones,a balcony with 4 chairs and a table,king size bed,couch,large walk in shower,huge whirlpool tub,seprate toilet room,double bathroom sinks,and on and on! You could literally show up with a bag of clothes and be fully equipped.The check in was about 20 minutes with a friendly staff,the pool was GREAT! There are 2 medium sized pools and a full bar. They have childrens entertainment every day,and they have a dinner at the upstairs pool bar every night.Tgi Fridays is a hop and skip away for great food.There were workers visible at all times. I called for a crib for my 17 mo old and it was literally there in 7 minutes,and after it was dropped off the desk rang to make sure i got it! Rooms seemed very clean,they even steam cleaned the carpets and couch before we arrived.Parking was always available.I just LOVED the resort! Now for the CONS..... Resorts decor was a bit outdated (but clean).The building itself could use a little freshening up on the exterior and drinks were a bit expensive. Thats all i can say negative about it. If you are a Millionaire you may be dissapointed,but if you are a average person that isnt a spoiled brat and can accept a few minor flaws then this is the place for you!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
10 Thank crazydrywallguy
quietstorm986
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2008

I visited the Star Island Resort and I was not pleased. I have visited many resorts in Florida and I have to say this was the worst one I stayed in. The furniture is old and outdated, and personally I would not want to purchase a timeshare there. We stayed in a minisuite and the bathroom looked mildewed and it had a rusted smell. Needless to say the next morning we had a call early in the AM telling us they wanted to turn off the water. After we had just got in 2am they wanted us to go ahead and take our baths,etc so they could turn water off. I said ok, but the water was dirty and rusted coming out of the shower head and faucet. I immediately asked to be relocated to another room. The water was fine but again I say the rooms are outdated and their water has an old rust smell. If you didn't have any deodorant soap and smell goods your body would be smelling like old rusted water and pipes. The only thing I enjoyed was the spa, and they have a nice workout room, and pool.

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank quietstorm986
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2008

We own a timeshare, so we went down for the every few years Orlando trip with the extended family. We booked the double rooms, and that ended up being plenty of room for the 7 of us, with 3 queen or full size beds and 2 sleep sofas. It's important to keep in mind this is a timeshare, not a traditional hotel, so no maid service. The service at the hotel is very good, from check-in to check-out. We had a minor problem with our fridge when we checked in and they repaired it within a couple hours. They have a great pool area and a very nice fitness center. The staff also has something going on every day and night that is normally family friendly. Also, if you enjoy tennis this is a great place to be, lots of really nice tennis facilities for use. Star Island is about 20 minutes away from Disney and Universal so you'll need a car. There is great food and shopping right around the resort, so the only big traveling away from the resort you'll probably be doing is the theme parks. Overall, it's a great place to stay in the area and because of the timeshare you can normally get it at a great price.

• Liked — Nice rooms, beautiful resort
  • Disliked — Location related to major theme parks
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank racoon009
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2008

We stayed at Star Island through the Discovery program with Fairfield. Hard to believe others call this a beautiful resort.

The 80's called they want their cheap decor back. I wouldn't have even called this beautiful in the 80's. The decor is this grecian beach theme and it's just awful. I saw the pics online and thought yuck! Fairfield assured me this was one of their best properties. (The other property we wanted was booked), Well if that's the case, that sealed the deal we weren't buying Fairfield.

I'm of the frame of mind that when I go on vacation the resort I stay in needs to be nicer than where I live. I would equate this with a weak 3 star. If you think of your resort as a place just to sleep and don't care about amenities or decor, than this is the place for you.

One final note, the staff is very nice, there are no service issues. Finally, this is not close to Disney.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The room!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family