“Great Place”

Star Island Resort and Club
Ranked #21 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My daughter, fiance and I stood at the Star Island Hotel Resort and Spa from May 13th to May 20th 2012. Overall, the hotel is great. There's two pools to relax and have fun in.They have a spa, hair salon, bar, golf ( which is free to play), game room and other fun activities. Everything is a bit pricey but I went to a 24 hour Walmart which was literally right around the corner and bought most of the things we needed. There's a room A and a room B. If you're going to stay here choose the room B. There's a full kitchen in room A. There's a stove, which wasn't great at all in my room, Room B. I really wasn't able too cook. I tried frying one piece of chicken for my daughter. Probably took and hour and a half. The stove doesn't get hot enough and takes forever to cook. There's a dish washer and a big Flat screen TV in the living room and in the bedroom. The tub in the bathroom have whirlpool jets in them. Which was really cool and relaxing. I really enjoyed myself. Disney World is about 10 minutes away and the have tickets for sale at the hotel. The staff was very helpful. We didn't have a problem with them at all. The one thing I thought was weird was, you had to pay for towels. After you used the ones in your room you had to pay, I think $4 for extra. I went straight to Walmart and bought some for cheaper. Don't use the phone unless you want to be charged for it. Even for local calls. Whatever you wanted is only a few minutes away. Restaurants, parks, fast food, drug stores, helicopter rides and souvenir stores. EVERYTHING! The area is so beautiful. Tall trees, water fountains. Gorgeous. I really can not say anything bad. Except for, they charged me a resort fee that I didn't know about. Found out the day I checked out. Which was $10 a day. Also, there's a million bugs and geckos jumping out at you. So make sure you have plenty repellent. Other than that, it was fine. I would definitely go back and pay the extra couple dollars to the other room. I will definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Choose Room A. Way Better.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle H
Write a ReviewReviews (2,516)

Reviewed June 15, 2012

There a lot to like about this resort. Our suite was huge (A&B units), well stocked and very comfortable - especially the beds!. The pools were small and crowded, which is no surprise considering how many units there are. But! For a resort that advertises itself as a "Tranquil Paradise" they have a lot to learn about the meaning of "tranquil". Tranquil is NOT Karaoke almost every night until midnight. Very BAD karaoke.

Our unit was on the back edge of the property, but the sound from the second story, open on three sides bar carried very, very well across all the lovely lakes, pool and tennis courts and reverberated off the walls of the buildings. It drove me batty every. single. night. If you like this sort of thing, it's a great place. If you are looking for tranquil - or hate karaoke - skip this resort!

Room Tip: A units have zero view and and the worlds smallest kitchenette. They are supposed to sleep 6, but t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank SCFarm_12
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stayed at Star Island for 7 days and would stay again.

Very well maintained property, clean, staff is very friendly and helpful. If you call and ask for anything it will be at your door ASAP. We asked for trashbags got them within probably 3 minutes. We asked for detergent with in a matter of minutes a staff member was at the door delivering. Pool was nice, kept clean, with offered activities during the day at the pool and at night on deck by the bar. Free golf balls from 8-9:00 am every day. Very nice work out room (too bad I only got down there once for just a few mins.) Resort is close to Disney and many dining and shopping choices. I will say I wasnt crazy over the mattress on our bed I thought it was a little too firm but still slept ok.

Room Tip: I wouldnt recommend 1st floor rooms but thats because I didnt like the idea that someone could walk...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank driver603
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Great resort, nice bed, room and pool, great service, has fast wifi, but they should include house keeping and even increase the price if it's necesary. Completly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank Susyzu
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Wife and I stayed here instead of Hotel for 3 days before sons wedding in Orlando. Service was great and resort workers polite and professional. This is an older resort but clean. The room we had was more like an Embassy Suites, but not really as well laid out or appointed. They call it a "lock off", which is you enter a door to a vestibule and to left was a door to full size 1 bedroom condo, ours to the right is essentially 2 12x12 rooms, 1 a bedroom and 1 a dinning/living room, in the middle was a very small apt style kitchen with micro, 2 burner stove, and bar sink; the refrig is dorm style in living/dining room, along with most utensils. Don't expect to cook much, we didn't so was ok, but we thought we were getting the full condo with balcony, and after getting there were't willing to pay $50 a night more for

For a couple the room was adequate, for a family I would feel crowded short of a baby or toddler. I didn't like that our bedroom window was on the outside walkway, fortunately we were in building 19 top floor and had only a few guests, but for security didn't like, won't stay in hotels like that and didn't expect here.

The pools were nice, grounds were nice, and it is a secluded resort well off road so very quiet location. They have a nice lobby, also a nice outside seating area on second floor with drinks and snacks, they do some nice activities for kids and it was fun.

STAY AWAY from timeshare presentation. I didn't have to do but was kind of rainy and figured for 90 minutes a $150 AMEX card and 3/2 stay at another location it would be worth it, BIG MISTAKE and wife still wants to kill me. First the presentation is resort 13 minute drive each way and they drive you, by the time I returned it was 3+ hours, granted we could of probably pulled the 90 minute gaurantee but being polite we stupidly didn't and you feel trapped not having car or being able to walk out. After 3 hour pitch at resort, which was outrageously priced (about $70,000 with closing costs), we finally get dropped off at a small sales center at Star Island, they tried about a 5-10 minute last minute pitch before "authorizing" my gift. Then you find out that to redeem you need to go to a 3rd location at entrance about 1/2 mile away from small sales center to wait another 10-15 minutes to get your gift. All in all over 3 hours for both of us, and 4 hours for me as the last 2 parts my wife left to me and went to pool.

I think there are more modern and better appointed resorts available for not much more, we had a good stay except the timeshare which I blame myself, but really not as exceptional as I expected for a Wyndam property. We had 2 room issues, one we reported ASAP which was main door had to be slammed to be shut and with kids next door only took a couple times for me to call, they had guy there in 10 minutes or so and he fixed. The other was a handle falling off sink, we reported on exit.

Room Tip: Make sure you know exactly the room your getting and it's what you want, we thought we were gett...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Richard C
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Star island is a good quality resort, without the huge price tag. It does have 2 sides, there are the resort owners and the Wydham resort side. In conversation the owners apartments are of a better standard, but I could not personally testify to that. The club does tend to have very load music that goes on till quite late, so if your apartment is near to the club house, it can be noisy, and very bad karaoke !!
The staff and facilities are superb, any query I have had, has always been dealt with superbly. We have been to other resorts, but we always come back to Star Island, and will again.

Room Tip: If you want to sit out of an evening, make sure you get a room on an upper floor, just more secure t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank KevinC235
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We absolutely love Star Island Resort!!! We stayed for 3 nights and wanted to stay longer. Staff was great, our room was super clean, services are stunning at tha resort. My son got married there, lets jus say 5 star all tha way. Love, love, love! Pool was good too. Lots of resturants and entertainment close by. Most of all, tha rate are fantastic. We got the father's day rate instead of the wedding rates and they were even better. If we didn't have to return to work, and son didn't have football camp ( mostly). We would have extended our stay......it's a must that we go back! *****

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family