“Spoiled people make me sick. LOVED THE PLACE!”

Star Island Resort and Club
Ranked #20 of 153 Hotels in Kissimmee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Michigan
“Spoiled people make me sick. LOVED THE PLACE!”
Reviewed January 26, 2008

First you must realize THOUSANDS of people stay at the Star island resort every year and your going to have a few bad apples. Look up the fanciest resort you can think of and there will be negative reveiws too.Ok on to the resort.. Our unit was a 2 bed-lockout which means it was 2 units seperated by a set of doors. Our unit was HUGE! It had washer,dryer,full kitchen,all cookware,coffee maker,2 tvs,3 telephones,a balcony with 4 chairs and a table,king size bed,couch,large walk in shower,huge whirlpool tub,seprate toilet room,double bathroom sinks,and on and on! You could literally show up with a bag of clothes and be fully equipped.The check in was about 20 minutes with a friendly staff,the pool was GREAT! There are 2 medium sized pools and a full bar. They have childrens entertainment every day,and they have a dinner at the upstairs pool bar every night.Tgi Fridays is a hop and skip away for great food.There were workers visible at all times. I called for a crib for my 17 mo old and it was literally there in 7 minutes,and after it was dropped off the desk rang to make sure i got it! Rooms seemed very clean,they even steam cleaned the carpets and couch before we arrived.Parking was always available.I just LOVED the resort! Now for the CONS..... Resorts decor was a bit outdated (but clean).The building itself could use a little freshening up on the exterior and drinks were a bit expensive. Thats all i can say negative about it. If you are a Millionaire you may be dissapointed,but if you are a average person that isnt a spoiled brat and can accept a few minor flaws then this is the place for you!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
10 Thank crazydrywallguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Polish first
quietstorm986
Reviewed January 25, 2008

I visited the Star Island Resort and I was not pleased. I have visited many resorts in Florida and I have to say this was the worst one I stayed in. The furniture is old and outdated, and personally I would not want to purchase a timeshare there. We stayed in a minisuite and the bathroom looked mildewed and it had a rusted smell. Needless to say the next morning we had a call early in the AM telling us they wanted to turn off the water. After we had just got in 2am they wanted us to go ahead and take our baths,etc so they could turn water off. I said ok, but the water was dirty and rusted coming out of the shower head and faucet. I immediately asked to be relocated to another room. The water was fine but again I say the rooms are outdated and their water has an old rust smell. If you didn't have any deodorant soap and smell goods your body would be smelling like old rusted water and pipes. The only thing I enjoyed was the spa, and they have a nice workout room, and pool.

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank quietstorm986
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 20, 2008

We own a timeshare, so we went down for the every few years Orlando trip with the extended family. We booked the double rooms, and that ended up being plenty of room for the 7 of us, with 3 queen or full size beds and 2 sleep sofas. It's important to keep in mind this is a timeshare, not a traditional hotel, so no maid service. The service at the hotel is very good, from check-in to check-out. We had a minor problem with our fridge when we checked in and they repaired it within a couple hours. They have a great pool area and a very nice fitness center. The staff also has something going on every day and night that is normally family friendly. Also, if you enjoy tennis this is a great place to be, lots of really nice tennis facilities for use. Star Island is about 20 minutes away from Disney and Universal so you'll need a car. There is great food and shopping right around the resort, so the only big traveling away from the resort you'll probably be doing is the theme parks. Overall, it's a great place to stay in the area and because of the timeshare you can normally get it at a great price.

• Liked — Nice rooms, beautiful resort
  • Disliked — Location related to major theme parks
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank racoon009
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 19, 2008

We stayed at Star Island through the Discovery program with Fairfield. Hard to believe others call this a beautiful resort.

The 80's called they want their cheap decor back. I wouldn't have even called this beautiful in the 80's. The decor is this grecian beach theme and it's just awful. I saw the pics online and thought yuck! Fairfield assured me this was one of their best properties. (The other property we wanted was booked), Well if that's the case, that sealed the deal we weren't buying Fairfield.

I'm of the frame of mind that when I go on vacation the resort I stay in needs to be nicer than where I live. I would equate this with a weak 3 star. If you think of your resort as a place just to sleep and don't care about amenities or decor, than this is the place for you.

One final note, the staff is very nice, there are no service issues. Finally, this is not close to Disney.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The room!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank cgoldburg
Tennessee
Reviewed November 26, 2007

I stayed in a small one bedroom with my 11 year old son for 7 days and nights. Know going in that there is no daily maid service. Don't be a pig! We picked up after ourselves and had a most enjoyable time! We were "green" in that we didn't unnecessarily go through towels and linens. The rooms aren't outdated...I thought that they were rather campy with their Florida styling. The beds were plenty comfy and I NEVER saw a single BUG! The pool was pristine! We avoided the time share creeps by telling them that I was too tired to attend the first meeting but to call and I would set up a time to come listen to their speel. I simply never took their call. I left my car lights on one night and the staff was quick as a wink to jump start my rental car.
DOWNSIDES: Thin walls and late night noisy neighbors the first night. ALSO, the whirlpool tub is raised high off the floor. IF you are unable to ambulate very well, you may not be able to get in the tub period. There is at least a 3 foot step up with no assistance.
Close by is a WalMart, Target, upscale Mall and more restaurants than you could need. The hotel has a small convenience store inside. I will make it a point to stay again. I give this resort 3 1/2 of 5 stars- (4is they had daily maid service.)

Stayed November 2007
8 Thank AliciaBen8
Tequesta, Fl
Reviewed November 20, 2007

We enjoyed our stay at Star Island very much. I liked how the resort is set back from the highway. It is a very nice property but it is not a 5 star resort at all. I would say it is a solid 3. The rooms are in dire need of an upgrade. The pink carpet and mirrored walls have to go. Other than that the room was clean and the staff was friendly. Stay away from the pool bar though the drinks are terrible and very small for $7.00 a pop. The pool area was great and my son loved the bounce house yet unfortunately it's only open from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm. They also had lots of fun things for the kids to do. We will probably go back but hopefully next time the decor will have been changed.

• Liked — The pool area.
  • Disliked — The 1980'S decor.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank makowish
Port St. Lucie, FL
Reviewed November 19, 2007

When we found out we would be staying here through a time share tour we had taken a few months back I checked this site to see what everyone thought. I wasn't really looking forward to it after all the reviews...but it was GREAT! Not only is the property beautiful and the pool awesome...not to mention CLEAN...but they have great activites to do on the grounds and our 1 bedroom unit was HUGE compaired to a holtel room! It was also clean and way more space then my husband and I really needed...The only thing that didn't thrill me was the spa. The people that worked there were pretty rude at first, and not exactly jumping to accomadate me. I asked for a manicure and a pedicure and they said they didn't have time for them both (I'm not sure why because each time I was there the place seemed desserted)...and when they finally did fit me in for a manicure she just gave me a polish change and then tried to charge me for a manicure....but it was worked out in the end and really other then that we both were very impressed. Now that we are Whyndom owners I lookforward to going back!

• Liked — Lots of fun activities
  • Disliked — The spa services
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple