“Excellent Hotel ”

Westgate Vacation Villas Resort & Spa
miami
“Excellent Hotel ”
Reviewed January 14, 2007

Just returned from an excellent time in westgate. I loved it, and the amenities it offered. FAMILY LOVED it, rooms and service were beyond our expectations.
i do recommend

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank miavega59
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Vacation Villas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2015
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us. We have renovated our property since you last visited and welcome you back to see what more we have improved on.

Ariel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed January 8, 2007

My family and I stayed here on our vacation to florida. We booked it through one of the owners of the time shares. When we checked in we did have a small problem getting the villa we asked for. The other family we were traveling with has a handicaped person in a wheel chair. We specifically asked for a handicaped villa. But one was not available. But finally they accomidated us with one. Other than that we had a great stay here. The help was wonderful and they did not pressure us to take a tour or anything. They didn't even mention it. Jose took us to our villa, showed us around it and then left. No problems what so ever. The carts that run around the resort are for the help and the resort tours that they conduct. But they all stayed out of the way when we drove through. The kids had a great time and it really was peaceful there. The only advice I have is if you are booking a handicaped room and really need one, don't just request it when booking. They seem to feel a request isn't something that you actually have to get. What I'm saying is you have to demand it.

• Liked — very clean and peaceful
  • Disliked — the check in
  • Tips/Secrets — make sure you demand a handicaped villa if you need one. Don't just request one.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank claylcl

Minnesota
Reviewed January 2, 2007

Alot of staff standing around doing nothing while you wait in line to check in was our first impression. Very crammed property they give out a parking pass but you are not gauranteed a parking place near your unit. The room was average as was the bed. The location was a real and the only plus. The food at the snack bar was eatable at best and the prices on the groceries were like double a regular store. So money hungary they charge you 86 cents for a local call. I exchanged thru Interval International, when I figure what I paid for my orignal time share plus maintance, exchange fee and to belong to Interval for the right to exchange I figure I paid $1150. for a 7 night stay plus some $20. plus for local calls for an average $167.00 a night. Maybe not a bad deal but someone is pulling the wool over my eyes if this is better than a 3 star resort.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not a five star as rated by Interval International
  • Tips/Secrets — Be prepared to be charged for local calls and bring your food in from outside.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lendid

Ontariariario
Reviewed January 2, 2007

Apartment in Building 5000
THE GOOD:
Fresh clean new apartment, easily changed room for me from construction-facing side on the west to the east pool-facing side (but only because hardly anyone else was in the building, so be sure to insist on side facing pool if making reservations in this building- huge construction of new resorts on-going on west side), pleasant personnel, usual timeshare luxury appointments, 54” TV, good live music at the welcome party
THE BAD:
Hot water interruptions when showering (most irritating!), in-room spa features not working, slow-to-react heating system on cold days, insufficient number of wastebaskets, not enough towel racks, all-glass dishes not pleasant to eat off, outdoor spas on property not kept at high enough temperature, the laughable “buffet dinner” welcome party which consisted of pasta, chicken fingers, some nachos and not a single vegetable or dessert on the table (unless you consider the wrapped mints scattered at the end of the table a dessert)
THE UGLY:
Because I had paid a full high price for a one week rental, $995, (which I found out later I could have had for less on their internet promotion but they wouldn’t let me change!), and was NOT at the resort under any sort of promotion deal, I had been assured repeatedly on the phone with reservations that I would NOT have to suffer through a sales pitch. Unfortunately, that was not true. The pleasant Guest Services Representative started out badly by calling me at home the day before the trip at 10 o'clock at night, waking me when I had to arise at 1 am for the long drive to the airport, and the flight to Florida. Suffering from a terrible cold, I was not happy about that intrusion! To make matters worse, the next night, our first night in the resort and after a long day of traveling and fighting this bad cold, I was in bed and asleep by 10 pm. At 11:30 that night, the Guest Representative awakened me for the second straight night! I couldn’t believe it. Heart pounding, I thought there must be some emergency to be jolted out of sleep at that time of night by a ringing phone. But no, it was the Guest Rep again, this time to inquire if everything was all right in the unit. I told her that this was a ridiculous time to call and that I couldn't believe she would be calling a guest at that time of night!! She insisted that an appointment had to be made with her to “discuss my equity”, I said I had no “equity”, that I had paid for a week’s rental, but she was adamant that I had to meet with her to sign papers and offered an 8:30 breakfast on the Wednesday. My grandaughters and I kept the appointment, but soon found we were taking a tour of the facilities, learning the history of the resort and not receiving breakfast. I repeated over and over that I was not interested in purchasing a timeshare. The Guest Rep said pleasantly that she was just doing her job and continued merrily on in her sales pitch. We could not leave until paperwork was signed confirming my refusal of their offers and the process was stretched out unbelievably. At last, we were taken to a room with a light breakfast counter and tables each manned by a Guest Rep and prospective purchasers. The combination of the noise of the overhead music and announcements and sales chatter of 25 or more agents reminded me of the mind-numbing cacophony of a casino. We were subjected to long periods of time waiting alone when the Guest Rep disappeared, leaving us sitting and wondering what was going on. She kept returning with another sales angle to try. A manager had to be called to countersign the refusal. We waited over a half an hour for him. When he arrived at the table, he acted incredulous that I was not interested in the great deal they were offering. He gave a hard sell, putting me down for not being smart enough to take up their offer. When he saw that I was adamantly sticking to "No", he countersigned the form I had already signed and I thought I would finally be on my way, but no, another agent had to sign too, I wasn’t told why, and we waited for her. It turned out she was offering rental weeks for the future. Luckily, she was not so insistent nor so aggravating as the manager, and we waited only about 20 minutes to have her sign off. Finally, 2 hours after our appointed time, we were finished with them. I don’t know if our Guest Rep had been reprimanded by the manger about our refusal, but when, after another interminable wait, she came back with the copy of the signed form that I had insisted on receiving, she was visibly distressed. At last, we took our leave of that aggravating, irritating, time-consuming, pressure-filled situation. My grandaughters were not impressed! I had kept them with me as a life lesson in hard sell, and it was an excellent lesson indeed! I pointed out all the usual subterfuge and lines used, the little act played out between the timeshare players, and the tactics they employ to try to shame and coerce you into buying. They now know what to look out for in the world of high-pressure sales! Conclusion: Westgate, no matter what they tell you on the phone beforehand, is a hard-sell timeshare resort. If you are not interested in timeshare, don’t go there!

• Liked — cleanliness, location
  • Disliked — timeshare sales pitch
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't take a room on the west side of Bldg.5000
  • Stayed December 2006
7 Thank Keltic_Kid

miami
Reviewed January 1, 2007

My wife, 2 children and I stayed at Westgate Vacation Village the week of 12/23 to 12/30. We had a much better experience this time around compared to the last time we were there a few years ago.

We have been owners at Westgate Miami Beach for almost 10 years, so we did an internal exchange to the Vacation Village.

When we made the exchange we had been communicated that we were going to get a 1 bedroom/ 4 occupancy unit. To our pleasant surprise we got a two bedroom unit in one of the relatively new buildings, which would comfortably sleep 6. I estimate the building is not more than 5 years old.

We were also pleasantly surprised to know that the owners are invited to a free welcome dinner (not bad, pasta, meatballs, chicken tenders for the kids, and sodas), as well as three free hot breakfast (eggs, sausage, potatoes, fruits and pastries, as well as juice, coffee and sodas), and finally one free BBQ lunch (which we did not go to since we were at the Disney parks).

There were other free activities, such as the 18 hole mini golf, and very low priced bike rentals and other sports equipment.

Yes, there was the infamous "maintenance report" we had to do before the end of the week, which the representative had told us "was not a sales pitch!", but obviously it was. We ended it within a few minutes by explaining to him that we were not looking to buy any more timeshares.

I did notice that there seemed to be a lot of people there on the 4 days/ 3 nights, since most people in our building were checking in/out within a few days, and not the full week like we did. Although, I understand that they are also pushing now for the "flexible time weeks", so you can break up your week into several mini vacations of a few days.

Overall, this experience was a major improvement compared to what we went through a few years ago.

I have to give credit to Westgate for certainly trying to make the vacation time a better experience for their current owners. I certainly hope this is a sign of better things to come from Westgate.

• Liked — The location, ammenities, close to amusement parks, restaurants and shops.
  • Disliked — Easily get lost at night, parking lots definitely need more lights.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank vacationfanatic

orlando
Reviewed December 6, 2006

I was walked to my room where i had to wait 25 minutes to have someone get the door fixed and open because the key didnt work.....Then to unpack my bags and find that the AC didnt work and couldnt be fixed.....I was moved down the hall where in the middle of the night the other room turned off the AC for both units and nothing was done to the next morning because they were sleeping......And, whatever they mopped the floor with smelled like mildew.......If it wasnt because I miss my boyfriend and was glad to see him I would have had the worst time of my life.....

• Liked — the mirrors
  • Disliked — the ac
  • Tips/Secrets — mop the floor with a clean mop
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank devadoll

Ariel

Travelers are raving about these Kissimmee hotels

NJ
Reviewed December 2, 2006

Never, Ever, go here. You will spend your week explaining to money hungry sales reps. that you are here to vacation and not here to be threatened by them......right from the start, you check in only to be passed to an Escort who takes you to your room....because apparently you are stupid......then stays till you agree to a "matanance breakfast"...you know just to chat about your unit.....yea right......and we were also told that if we didn't do it, there could be a fee at the end of our stay......so like idiots we went and gee guess what......it was a sales thing.......so my wife got up and left, and then I stayed for another 1/2 hour then I left........sales folks were rude.

Stayed January 2004
10 Thank chopwats

Ariel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Westgate Town Center Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,729 reviews
Westgate Towers Resort
Westgate Towers Resort
#32 of 153 in Kissimmee

Been to Westgate Vacation Villas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!