“It was okay”

Westgate Vacation Villas Resort & Spa
“It was okay”
Reviewed June 25, 2005

Before I traveled to Westgate, I had read the reviews and did not want to come here. After I arrived, I found that it ws not as bad as the reviews made it. The rooms were nice and spacious. The furniture was neat and clean. The floors were not as clean as I would like them to be. The utensils, dishes and pots and pans were very useful. The location was the best.

We did encounter a salesperson who kept saying that we needed to come to the club house to do a maintenance report. We asked if it was a maintenance report, why would we have to come to the club house. the sales person shoudl come to the room. Seeing that we were on to his sales tactics, he backed off.

• Stayed June 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Vacation Villas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2015
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your experience. It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay. We are glad you chose us and hope you will visit again.

Ariel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (806)
Reviewed June 20, 2005

I had given Westgate a decent review on my previous visist except for the time share spiel which was aweful.
This year because of the last minute need for a place, we again received Westgate. After reading so many negatives I started to think our previous stay was a fluke and started to dread this visit.

Check In was crowded but went fine.
We were taken to our rooms by "Kevin(??)
He said, Oh you're in luck you are staying in the original building" like how lucky were we.
I was expecting a dump but actually it was very nice. Not as luxurious as our first visit, but very clean (with a few exceptions ((dont look up at the light in the kitchen, bug shadows shudder)) and in good condition (again with a few exceptions I could live with) but it was very spacious and we had a great screened in balcony overlooking the lake which we used a lot!
We avoided the "comment sheet" meeting which was disguised as the paper you fill out in a time share with the descriptions and inventory etc. Later on the person I was staying with got nervous about the inventory and some things that weren't working up to par and therefore decided to go fill out the comment sheet. I went with them.

Because it was so noisy, our rep decided to take us somewhere quiet, so we got on a golf cart and went to a new model and had a tour !!Surprise!!!
We had the tour, we answered the obvious scripted questions (which had NOTHING to do with inventory or anything about the place itself haha) we spent 2 hours of our vacation with a salesman who was so typical we had to laugh.
Question: who's worse? a timeshare salesman or a used car salesman?
Anyways, we finally got it through his head that WE ARE NOT INTERESTED which we had to repeat to his boss and to another guy, then we left.

THey have such a nice place, they dont need this sort of heavy duty hard sell. Its really a turn off and NO I probably wouldnt stay there and definitely would never buy there.

but the place itself was nice, the people were nice.

Thats it,,,,,, just nice not great.

• Stayed June 2005
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed June 8, 2005

Arrived as usual on Sunday after 4pm, only to be refused entrance to our timeshare, but they put us in another one, even though we have already paid for our own one. The staff are really rude and we wouldnt recommend anyone going here cause its really changed since we first purchased. We stayed for 1 week but couldnt wait to get home, the Furnishings are needing updating, the bath was filthy and I found the whole place in dire need of attention.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Ariel

Travelers are raving about these Kissimmee hotels

Hebron, Kentucky
Reviewed June 5, 2005

Short and sweet, this is hard for a southern girl.
Qued in a hot parking lot in front of a shed to preregister.
Obnoxious, threatening and demeaning time share greeter.
Poor maintenance---toliets stopped up three times.
Non-existent parking lot security check going in and open back entry.
Open garbage dumpster in front of villa.
Cockroaches in the kitchen. Disgusting
Unauthorized charge for the Westgate Foundation.
Outdated furnishings and appliances.
Stayed only a few days. Checked out and had our week redeposited with Interval.
Stay anywhere but here.

24 Thank KentuckyPriscilla

South Shore, MA
Reviewed June 2, 2005

We booked an exchange week at this resort on short notice through Interval International. I think that this is important to note, as my thoughts and impressions do not factor in whether the resort was a good value for the money, as it costs me the same whether the resort’s going rate is $100 or $300 a night. I trade a week at my resort for a week at another resort, so I’m looking for the nicest accommodations I can trade into.

I was familiar with this area, as we stayed at the Wyndham Palms (just down the road) a month before. We had a 2 bedroom unit on the 2nd floor of Building P. The resort is located on Old Lake Wilson Road, just south of Rt. 192 between mile markers 5 and 6, and is in close proximity to Disney.

We arrived at approx. 10:30 p.m. on May 22. As we approached the registration building I thought that it looked especially crowded for that time of night. It was, and unfortunately, I was about to find out why. The check-in procedure at this resort is, hands-down, the absolute worst I have ever experienced. We walked into a crowded lobby and found ourselves in a queue that didn't seem terribly long, but it wasn't moving very well at all. People who had made it to an associate to check-in seemed to be taking a dreadfully long time at the counter. It wasn't for a lack of personnel, as there were four or five associates working the check-in. There was also a counter on the opposite side of the lobby that was staffed by a considerable number of people who were assigned to bring guests to their units (a pretext to set up meetings and try to sell timeshares). Given all of the staff there, check-in should have been a breeze. Not so. We waited for fifteen minutes to actually make it to an associate. I thought that the worst was over. I was very wrong. I gave the young lady my confirmation and she looked up my reservation. She verified my information and took my credit card, ran it through and gave it back to me. With that, she said that she would be back in a minute and disappeared through a door behind the desk. I waited... 5 minutes, ten minutes, fifteen minutes, twenty minutes. At this point my wife had located another young lady who seemed to be a step up from the counter clerks. She asked if there was some way of locating our associate to get things moving. She went off to find her and in a few minutes time our first associate was back apologizing for the delay. She said she had to check with her manager to make sure the room was ready (over seven hours after their 4 o'clock check-in time). By now my wife was reasonably perturbed, asking how the room couldn't be ready if we were supposed to be able to check in at 4. A smile and an apology from the clerk and she was off again. When she finally came back (not gone as long this time) she said that everything was ready but then took additional time to come up with keys and the welcome packet. They weren't done with us yet though. A ding of the bell and the packet with the keys were given to another employee to take to the other desk to wait for someone to show us to our unit. The young lady who my wife had talked to earlier was very apologetic about the delays (she was the only member of staff we encountered there that seemed to have any concern for what any of us checking in were being subjected to), and when, after ten more minutes, our guide hadn't shown up, she got our packet and keys and took us aside. She apologized for our wait and inconvenience and said that she would give us directions to our unit if we didn't want to wait for a guide. We were thankful to be free of this check-in purgatory and finally made it to our room nearly a full hour after arriving at the resort. Needless to say, it did not start our stay off well.

I will say, at this point, that the worst of our experience was over. The 2-bedroom unit we had was not uncomfortable, though not as nice as others we’ve traded into in the Orlando area. It was clean and well kept, though a bit dated. When I checked the Westgate website for info on this resort I had seen pictures of large Jacuzzis and big-screen TV’s in the rooms. I was told by other guests that some units have them some don’t. We came up on the short end of that deal. We did have a pool in close proximity, which was nice, if a bit busy. It was clean and comfortable, though the pool area was not checked on frequently by resort staff. There were young children (appeared to be under 12) at times who were unattended, obnoxious and poorly behaved, and older kids and young adults skateboarding on the pool deck, jumping and flipping their boards. When these instances occurred, it cleared the pool area of many guests who did not wish to be subjected to these kinds of disturbances. It would have been nice to have seen some attempt by the resort to enforce the rules to keep the area pleasant for all of the guests.

For the most part, everything in our unit worked reasonably well, though we did have a problem with our water on one of our days there. My wife was up early and found that the water in the unit wasn’t working at all. We weren’t planning on getting out and doing anything that day, so it didn’t present a real problem, but had I been looking to get an early shower to go somewhere, I would have been none too happy. Thankfully, it did not stay off for too long and we did not need to call the front desk for assistance.

Other than that, there was nothing remarkable about this resort. Very middle-of-the-road. While there was nothing that was unpleasant enough (with the exception of check-in) to drive me away, neither was there anything enchanting enough to draw me back here. The owners that I talked to expressed dissatisfaction in the steady decline of the quality of their experiences over the years. I got the distinct impression that the main concern of the staff and management of this resort had far less to do with making their guests comfortable or making the resort appealing for the guests than it did with trying to figure ways to get people to tour the property and get them to buy units. Really a shame, as I think that they would find selling units far easier if they concentrated on improving the quality of their guest’s visits here. I know that from what I experienced, I would not stay here again on the basis of their torturous check-in alone. My experiences in the Orlando/Kissimmee area have shown me other accommodations that are a superior experience. As a timeshare owner who trades into this locale, I can trade to a nicer resort at no additional expense. I gave Westgate a try, but won’t be returning.

21 Thank BOS_TO_MCO

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 31, 2005

Okay, here goes and I apologize that this will likely be a long read. My intent is to be informative and honest so that you can judge for yourself whether or not this is a resort you’d want to visit. I’m not an owner suffering from post-purchase-dissonance (marketing 101), and I have sincerely appreciated that other people have taken valuable time to rate/review/describe resorts so I’m responding in-kind. My review is broken down into Sections.

Snapshot Rating. Week of May 21-28, 2005. Our villa was in the oldest section and we were fairly happy with it because it was spacious, clean, and fairly well equipped. By comparison to similarly priced hotel-accommodations, it was much better. Since TripAdvisor only has a 1-5 scale, I’m listing this as a 2-Star resort but in all fairness I think it rates as 2.5 Stars. We were satisfied customers who probably would NOT return.

Lets be truthful here folks, 1-Star is for Econo-Lodge & Microtel. Those reviewers who previously rated WGV as 1-Star are being unrealistic and are likely bitter about something but they are not being fair. I’ve also stayed in a wide-variety of hotels & resorts in my life/career (including Ritz-Carlton), and so prior raters giving WGV 5-Stars, in my opinion, probably had a great time, but are mistakenly over-rating the property based on their experience and likely never stayed at an actual 5-Star Resort. I saw both old & new villas & the best looking villas that they had still only rated 3-Stars in my opinion (I’ll elaborate later).

In Brief - Pluses: Spread-out room, close to Parks – Disney but not Universal or Sea World (more important at night than in the a.m.), quiet in the older section with no tours going on there - why would you tour the old sections.

Minuses: Maintenance, Sales-Pressure (the stupid ‘maintenance report’), Aging Resort & Equipment, Pricey.

The Resort. General Info: Our ‘hostess’ revealed that the original Villas were built in 1982 – in this country, that’s pretty old folks. The construction is fairly solid, it has to be to weather the abuse of Florida weather and weekly comings-&-goings which are substantial. The resort has much new construction going on as they build-out the new 5-story Villas / Apartments. Some of the Pictures that we saw on the web pre-departure were accurate, but we visited every pool on the property and we didn’t find the one depicted (probably another Westgate Resort – there are lots of them).

Services & Events: Check-in took 15-20 minutes and the desks had 6-8 people as volume was high (not horrible). Trash pickup was daily (good I thought) and the mowers were only in our area one day during our stay (acceptable). Initially our Hostess ensured that we knew that we couldn’t participate in ‘owners’ events (designed to make you feel like you’re missing out on something). For $30 for the week, you can participate but unless bingo or paddling in scorching 90+ degrees humidity on a mosquito infested lake are your thing I’d skip it & seek entertainment elsewhere. Honestly, I saw 3 close-calls with drivers and I was scared about kids on bikes. They DO NOT have bike trails and people fly around this resort so I wouldn’t allow my kids to ride bikes there. Security is a token: We blew through on several occasions with no pass in the window & no-one stopped us. A tub is left outside the door daily that you can take clean towels if you wish.

Pools. The older section has many buildings that are NOT adjacent to a pool (open till midnight but we had people in ours until 2am on one occasion). You get wet, but these pools are nothing spectacular. The newer buildings either share a pool – what I mean by that is that you don’t just walk out of your back porch to a pool like we did – you share it with about 100 other guestrooms. Newer pools were located between large 5-story buildings and they were both crowded and noisy. In one area, the new buildings didn’t even have a pool which I’m sure translates into more congestion at other pools. Some pool areas have a kid’s pool – in the entire time we were there, it was never drained or cleaned and it isn’t on any type of central system and it was used by many children of all ages.

Furnishings / Accommodations: Our furniture looked, on average, to be about 4-6 years old. Small appliances were new, washer & drier are a stripped-down versions of our own which are 14 years old; but they did work and allowed us to perform a function that we couldn’t in a hotel room however they beat up our clothes pretty bad. 3 TVs – nothing larger than 25 inch, VCR, DVD in kids room.

Damage: The older section has fairly extensive damage to the roofing. Patchwork coverings are extensive in the old resort section. We were in a bottom Villa (2-Story), and it only rained one night during our stay so I couldn’t really say whether or not the damage is a problem but it still looked unsightly and gave the impression that the available funding was going to new construction not maintenance or repairs. Owners complained of this and similar maintenance issues that just never seemed to get fixed.

I talked with several guests and at least one Owner while I was there who had owned since 1989. The impression I was left with was that the resort services, maintenance, and appeal have degraded year-by-year.

Problems:

1. Cockroaches (3-German, 1 Palmetto – that we saw). Actually a bit embarrassing because we had family visiting and were watching the tube when a large Palmetto cockroach came cruising along the wall. My mother-in-law noticed – enough said. Dead roaches in other areas, but the most problematic was the one that was found in the dryer with our clothes. Not pleasant, but this is Florida and unlike Northern climates, they don’t die off in the winter so you just have to deal with bugs.

2. Major Appliances: These are older & low-grade so they are rough on your clothes (and noisy to-boot); great for towels, you undies & socks, but I wouldn’t wash any delicate or ‘prized’ clothing.

2. Other Appliances: On the last night our Microwave just absolutely freaked-out at about 3am. Eventually in a dozy-stuper, it got unplugged. Alarm clocks were more or less non-functional so I’d bring my own.

Scam Alert - Westgate Foundation: I followed the advice of a TA reviewer and got a receipt. It’s a good thing I did because there was a line item for ‘Westgate Foundation’ & a $5 charge on there. I know $5 isn’t much, but they didn’t ask and when I got home a little web-searching revealed that the The Westgate Resorts Foundation is formed as a charitable organization to serve the needs of the community in which Westgate does business. In addition to raising contributions for various causes like the Orlando Ballet, the Foundation also supports company employees in need. They have NO website. Are you kidding me, employees in need. Sorry but I don't donate to Private Foundations that don't disclose their financial statements period... Its not my job to fund WestGate's charitable activities. I read about this in a few other resorts where some petulant sales-type attempts to bludgeon you into a guilt-trip about feeding needy children. Recommendations: Go through the check-out & get a receipt because you can ensure they remove ‘Foundation Donation’ . Another cheesy, sleazy, dishonest tactic used to take your money that detracts from the overall experience: Hey, I can approximate the math - $5 x 10 Resorts x 750 Rooms x 52 Weeks = $1.95M – I call that a Scam.

Other Info: Publix is about 2 miles West on 192. Not many high-end restaurants nearby but lots of casual-dining.

Traffic: Forget 52-guests-a-year, I saw several Villas occupied twice in a week – you can do the math. These Villas are heavily trafficked.

Timeshare Pressure: In Brief – Manageable…

Because we were owner-guests (of another resort), we exchanged-in through RCI. I read reviews, pre-trip, that said you could “just check-in & skip the ‘people at the next desk there to help you’”. Forget it, you can’t because now their way of ensuring that you get face-time with a salesperson is the desk-clerk holds up your package & a salesperson comes over to ‘escort you’. I understand that only a small percentage of the population is involved in what we’d consider to be ‘direct-sales’, and so as a result most people are uncomfortable in a high-pressure sales arena. I’m essentially a sales-person, so I’m used to the tactics, the objection-handling techniques, and the pressure that comes from this kind of environment. Now here’s where I take the advice of other reviewers on TripAdvisor, and you should too unless you are just too nice to do this: What on earth makes you believe that you have to be polite or courteous to these people – they do have a ‘hook’ (free tickets, cheap accommodation, etc. etc.) If you’re there for the free stuff, tell them that. These people get hard-core sales training; they know all your objections before you ever raise them, they are very perceptive to your ‘tells’, and they can handle NO repeatedly. Make sure they know that you have absolutely no interest whatsoever in buying (unless you do), and for petes-sake don’t do the Tour of the new 5-Stories. If you are a guest, tell them that you are NOT coming to any meeting, and that maintenance reports are for owners. Or just schedule it and when they call to confirm (and they will), tell them you’ve changed your mind and you are NOT coming. My Hostess called me at 9pm from what sounded like a bowling alley with (I assume) with screaming kids in the background – the accent was so heavy I could barely comprehend and this detracted from my experience.

Ongoing Pressure: One owner told me that it was 5 years before they quit with the sales pressure to Upgrade to a bigger unit or buy another week and that he had actually never been able to stay in his own unit because someone was always in it when he got there.

Parking Lot – since WGV does an enormous volume of Tours, there is a huge parking lot adjacent to the sales area to accommodate check-in and tour-only (to get ‘discount tickets’ I assume). This lot was full Every Day so the volume is enormous, and that doesn’t include the people being shuttled in via limo or cab. Marketing and new construction are the primary focus - not maintenance. The owners that I chatted with were disgusted that 5 years later, many of the promised Resort Features and enhancements had failed to materialize (e.g. wave-runners for the lake was mentioned as being never delivered).

Having said all that, you might think I really disliked this resort – we didn’t. It was a far better alternative to hotels and we had a very pleasant time overall. If after reading all that you believe you can stay and deal with all the items I described, then we wish you 'Happy Trails'.

And we provide sincerest thanks to TripAdvisor for creating such an excellent exchange medium that help us immensely.

57 Thank WestHighlands

Ariel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Westgate Town Center Resort & Spa
Westgate Towers Resort
Westgate Towers Resort
#32 of 152 in Kissimmee
Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort

Been to Westgate Vacation Villas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!