“Second visit to this hotel”

Travelodge Suites East Gate Orange
Ranked #89 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Second visit to this hotel”
Reviewed September 13, 2007

June 2006 was my second stay in the Travelodge Suites East Gate Orange. The first time we had a lovely suite for 4 people, the second time we had two family rooms connected by a small kitchen.

Both stays were perfectly enjoyable - good pool, check in desk, rooms etc. I love the huge Orange shaped gift shop which is on site and packed full of great souvenirs, gifts, etc.

First time I stayed here was 2001 - by 2006 the rooms seemed a little shabbier, in need of a spruce up but mainly okay. Used the shuttle bus to Disney with no problems - reliable and safe.

Flea market just around the corner and close to all the parks, shops etc. Great budget hotel that works for smaller groups but also larger families staying together.

• Liked — The location, the fresh looking decor, the pool
  • Disliked — Looking a little bit tired - needs some refurbishing in some places
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank NottinghamLisa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Finnish first
Laval, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2007

Let me start by telling you, that yes, in a way theses are ''suites'', we asked for a stove top and fridge and that is what we received.

You are not staying at the Ritz Carlton, but it is good for what you are paying. We paid 62.95$ / night with AAA. The room had 2 double beds, 1 pull-out couch, a small bathroom across the way to the little kitchen. In the rooms itself we had a fridge and microwave, for a total of 2 fridges, 1 microwave and 1 stove top. The rooms are somewhat clean, not that there are bugs or anything, but you can tell that the tub/shower had soap scum on it.

The complimentary breakfast was better then expected. Compared to the other reviews management seems to have ''fixed'' this little problem. It consisted of English muffins, muffins, cereals, coffee, juice, jams, butter, i think there were even bagels.

Now let me tell you about the shuttle...well it is free...besides the fact that the driver nearly killed everyone on the bus. His tire ''somehow'' CAME OFF, while he was getting off the highway (he was slowing down at the time), and to put the cherry on the sundae as it is, he made sure we knew "IT WASN'T HIS FAULT", we where stranded for almost an hour and a half before the company sent an other bus to drive us back. To make a long story short, if you have a car, drive yourself, pay the parking ($11), and come and go as you please.

In all the room was nice. We enjoyed ourselves, besides you don' t go to Orlando to stay in your room...

If you're on a budget this place is for you.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ejwendeler
W. Haverstraw, NY
Reviewed July 9, 2007

After reading several reviews on this site, we decided to book our 6 night stay at the Traveldoge Suites East Gate Orange, anyway. I think the reviews were about 50/50 and figured a budget hotel was good enough for the amount of time we would be spending in the room. (Basically, we would be there only to shower, sleep, and to take advantage of the "continental breakfast". Which is what every one said it was, packaged cakes and donuts.) Hence, you absolutely get what you pay for: Budget accomodations for a budget price. We paid $69.95 a night. We booked it on the Traveldoge site. They confirmed and sent a total price, tax included, for almost $100.00 less, as they did not add the appropriate 13% tax. So that was the beginning of a bad experience. The next was room 101, which is the very moldy, floor tiles held in place with duct tape, cracked sink room that I read about in several reviews. The man at the front desk was accomodating and switched us to a room which was less moldy and although some floor tiles were craked, they were where they were supposed to be. I decided to take no chances and went to the local Walmart to buy a bleach cleanser to scrub the sink, toilet and bathtub, as well as the shower walls. Twice I went to the front desk to make a complaint, with no manager present to speak of. However, the people there were helpful. I have to say, though, the beds were ok and we slept well. There were no bugs and the housekeeping was ok. And these rooms are NOT suites, they are a double room (2 double beds) with a microwave and a small refrigerator. You would think that after knowing that several people speak of buying cleaning products to clean the room while on their vacation, that the owners would change a few things around and allow their staff to use bleach on vital surfaces.

5 Thank Mo.328
RobinLucca, General Manager at Travelodge Suites East Gate Orange, responded to this review, July 23, 2007
I would like to thank you for choosing Travelodge Suites. You had many choices and you choose our hotel. Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your experience with others.

We pride ourselves in listening to what our guests have to say, the good and the bad. We have received a number of comments regarding the contiental breakfast and have listened. Our Continental Breakfast now consists of: Fresh assorted muffins, english muffins, white and wheat toast with butter and assorted jellies, cereal with 2% milk, coffee and tea(regular and decaf), Orange juice, Strawberry Banana juice and fruit punch.

We value our guest's loyalty and sincerely hope that you will again choose Travelodge for your next visit.

Travelers are raving about these Kissimmee hotels

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 19, 2007

My family and I were in Florida for the Disney Marathon on January 7, so we needed someplace reasonably priced and not too far away from Disney World. We settled on the Big Orange (seriously, the hotel is behind a HUGE orange) and we stayed at this hotel for 5 nights.

Check-in was great, the people behind the counter were very nice…in fact, I don’t recall coming across even one surly employee the entire time. The housekeeping staff gave us extra anything we asked for; the hotel staff promptly raised the temperature of the hot tub at the request of the achy marathoners, etc. The hotel was ideally located, as there had to have been at least 10 or 15 restaurants and a few overpriced markets and liquor stores within walking distance. The 24-hour CVS was right across the street. The pool was warm, the hot tub was clean, the rooms were neat (which is really the best one can say about motel-type accommodations), my dad loved the couch cause it felt just like his couch at home :-), all the appliances in the room worked well (refrigerator, microwave, television) and once we figured out how the lights in the room worked, everything was gravy.

We did have a few instances where we came back to the room at 5:30 to find that it hadn’t been cleaned yet but frankly, given that the room cost something like $1.50 per night, I wasn’t expecting The Four Seasons type service.

In fact, I only had two gripes about this place (and one was a MUCH bigger problem than the other) - the 'breakfast' and the mold/mildew problem in the room.

Continental breakfast in a hotel generally seems to mean 'whatever we have left over, that's what you get' and this was no exception: weak coffee, pre-packaged Little Debbie type pastry things, Tang-alternative, etc. This wasn't a huge problem, as we just went to the Super Target and bought our own breakfast supplies - problem solved!

The mold issue was something else entirely. At first, my family thought that we were having vague allergic reactions to the difference in temperature from cold New York City to unseasonably warm and humid Florida. But, by the third day I realized that we were ALL waking up EVERY morning sneezing, sniffling and hacking with sore, scratchy throats…which would go away once we left the room for the day and return after being in the room for longer than an hour.

When we finally went looking for it, we found that there was visible mold in the bathroom (along the sides and top of the shower – not surprising, I guess), on the vanity in the room AND along the air vents. Phantom illness solved. I don’t know if other rooms would have been cleaner but there it was…not a bad place given the price.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — The allergic reactions it provoked
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Balamuki
Omaha, NE
Reviewed February 14, 2007

After extensive research and use of Trip Advisor’s members reviews, I reserved six nights at this property online for our first visit to Orlando Feb 3 - 9, 2007. Until recently, while employed by an upscale hotel resort company, we’ve been able to stay in 4 and 5 star hotels, so it has been a few years since I’ve stayed in budget properties. I had mentally prepared myself for this adjustment, with the idea that I wanted to submit an impartial and objective review of this property to Trip Advisor upon my return.

Finding the motel on this extremely crowded highway was relatively easy due to being aware of the Big Orange gift shop and Waffle House at this location. Our arrival late Saturday evening, after a full day of air travel from the Midwest, began with a friendly and efficient check in. Though the parking lot was nearly full, we were able to park relatively close to our assigned room. Upon unlocking the door to our non- smoking room, however, my hopes for a positive experience began to unravel.

Our first impression of the room was the dank, musty smell of old cigarette butts, which the process of opening a window, running the bathroom vent fan, turning on the fan setting of the air conditioning unit and liberal use of an odor neutralizing air freshener did not alleviate. The next frustration was getting a light to turn on when entering the room, which neither the front door light switch nor the nearest lamp did on the first attempt. Once we had light, the appearance of the room was disillusioning. The draperies were mildewed from the air conditioning unit blowing on it, and the vents on the air conditioning unit had specks of black goo. The carpets were worn and dirty, with hardened sticky spots, making it un- welcoming to bare feet. The bedspreads were old with rips, and the blanket on at least one of the two double beds had holes. The wall paper had many seams that were separating and beginning to peel from the walls, and paint on the ceiling was blistering and peeling as well. The door of the small bathroom barely cleared the toilet when closing, and once inside the bathroom we could see that the door hinges were rusting through the paint covering them. A small, one person vanity was outside the bathroom. If we had arrived earlier in the evening I would have pursued requesting a change of rooms immediately, as I had no intentions of staying in this room for the entire six night stay, but we were tired and I determined our opportunity for an improved room might be better in the morning. Fortunately, we both slept well.

Sunday morning, once showered and dressed, I observed the offerings of the continental breakfast in route to the lobby. Provided is coffee, hot cocoa mix, I believe there was tea, but saw no milk or juice. Bakery cake donuts and prepackaged sweet rolls and coffee cakes were offered, but no cereal or fruit.

When it was my turn to approach the front desk, I was greeted warmly. I explained my dissatisfaction with my room, and was graciously offered an opportunity to view another room that was ready for check in. If it met with my approval I was welcome to move in at my leisure. Easy and accurate directions to the room were also provided.

This room did not have the offensive musty odor, the carpet and bedding were newer and cleaner, the draperies and air conditioning unit in much better condition. The wall paper and paint also were in better shape, and this room had a larger vanity/dressing area. This room met the expectations I initially had for this motel, thus I happily changed rooms that morning.

The location of this property proved very convenient for our needs. There are two handy shortcuts to the nice newer WalMart on the 535/Apopka Vineland Rd. Being on the Orlo Bronson / 192 provides many dining choices and easy access to I-4 and WDW.

This improved room had no lack of hot water, a strong shower, the air conditioning unit worked well, and the refrigerator and microwave were both in good working order. We appreciated the extra living space with the couch and small table, where we enjoyed making complimentary coffee in the coffee maker each morning. This went well with the cereal and milk we provided ourselves for in room breakfasts, and we stocked our refrigerator with bottled water and leftovers from our restaurant meals for future lunches.

I have a mixed review of housekeeping. They did a good job of providing clean towels, making the beds, removing the trash, and keeping the bathroom neat. There were areas of accumulated dust, cobwebs and hair that were repeatedly missed, the mirrors were sometimes streaked, and the coffee maker was not cleaned the last two mornings of our stay. The tile floors in the bathroom were not being thoroughly cleaned each day, which I did bring to the attention of the front desk staff and thus that was resolved.

The front desk staff were consistently friendly and courteous, even upon our 3:30 am checkout on Friday. The housekeeping staff even graciously brought to our attention an item we inadvertently left outside our door one afternoon. We never met any staff who were rude or apathetic.

By reserving nearly a month in advance, we had an exceptionally reasonable AAA discount rate, and there was never any attempt to charge extra when we requested the change of room. There is a nightly $1 service fee that is not shown in the estimated total when you book on-line, but it is on your paperwork at check in and was explained by the front desk staff to cover on site security and the use of the in room safe (which is quite helpful to have).

After submitting a survey to Travelodge online after my stay, I have received an email from the property's manager offering their regrets over my disappointment over the initial room. They do seem to care about the satisfaction level of their guests, which is important.

Even with having the initial discouraging start, I currently have plans to return in May to continue the business that brought me in February. I find it difficult, however, to recommend this property wholeheartedly to friends and family, and would give them an honest account of my stay so they would understand what they might possibly encounter if they choose to stay here. As I have titled my review - request to look at the room prior to completing check in for your own piece of mind.

• Liked — Price, size of room, micro/fridge, convenient location
  • Disliked — Inconsistency of housekeeping and room maintence/condition
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
9 Thank travel-critic-wanabe
England
Reviewed January 23, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for 9 nights early January but did not expect much from a hotel for this price.
We were in a first floor non-smoking room with a queen double bed. OK the bed mattress was hard but the room was clean, the bathroom was extremely clean with large mirrors a washbasin which had minute cracks around the plug ! Toilet and bath with a very good powerful shower over. There were always lots of clean towels and the soap and shampoo were replaced as we needed ,we did not have to ask, it was just done.
The television had far more channels than i would have expected which was nice after a hard day visiting attractions !
We would have no problem with staying here again, it's a shame the same cant be said about Budget car hire !!
We arrived at Orlando airport after a delay of nearly 2 hours at Gatwick. We went to the rental desk and joined the queue, we had asked for a Mustang to treat ourselves as this was our first holiday together in the States.We were told by the desk clerk that they had no Mustangs available, we were gutted, she offered us a 'small' car but had no photos to show us of what these cars looked like, so we opted for her suggestion of an upgrade to a Toyota Camry which was 'brand new' .We duly paid the $90 and then she tried to get us to pay another $80 for 'extra insurance'.When we declined she was not happy and demanded the name of my car insurers in the UK, which i gave her ! Imagine our disappointment to say the least when we went over to their rental car lot and saw TWO Mustangs there ready to rent !! We both decided that after such a tiring trip we did not want to stand in line again and we took the ' brand new' Toyota with 9500 miles on it !! It was a very nice car BUT it was not 'brand new' That is why we rented it !!!
My advice is steer clear of Budget they are only interested in your money, i emailed them on my return and they have not had the decency to get back to me. We were so pleased that Travelodge was better than we expected. Go there,but take my advice about car rental. Have a great holiday .

Stayed January 2007
3 Thank blueglenn1954
Abingdon VA
Reviewed January 13, 2007

We had several rooms booked the 2nd week of Nov. and it was terrific. The rooms [big enough for 6 + crib] were great, the location [very close to Main Entrance of Disneyworld] was perfect, and the area [you can walk to many, many restaurants, stores,etc.] was wonderful. And the price was certainly right at $39.95. We paid $5 extra to have rooms that opened right onto the pool and that was worth every penny. The included breakfast is just coffee, juices, tea, water, and oodles of sweet rolls, donuts, granola bars, etc. but it was plenty and FREE. The staff was very nice and helpful, too. We had no complaints. We would definitely stay there again, and probably will soon.

• Liked — great value for the price
  • Disliked — small breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — get room on ground floor right by the gate to the pool
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family