“Value for money, but lots of room for improvement”

Holiday Inn Orlando SW - Celebration Area
Ranked #41 of 153 Hotels in Kissimmee
Benidorm, Spain
“Value for money, but lots of room for improvement”
Reviewed June 5, 2009

Stayed here 11th - 25th May, with my wife and two daughters (aged 5 and 2).

We stayed in a kids suite which suited us as the kids were excited about having bunk beds. In a kids suite you also get a minifridge and the children get their own TV.

The problem with the kids suite is that the room looks and is very cramped. There is hardly any room to walk around. As far as I can tell the kids suites face the US192 but the soundproofing is pretty good. We were on the 1st floor which meant that we didn't have access to a balcony, in fact the patio doors were locked. I suppose this is for security reasons.

The bathroom is extremely small. To use the toilet you have to go in and then shut the door in order to use it.

My biggest gripe was with housekeeping. It was really hit and miss as to whether the room was cleaned properly or not, and whether you got coffee replenished. We always tipped the chambermaid but often they left the money on the table, despite us making it clear that it was their tip!

Despite the hotel being renovated in 2007 it is looking a bit shabby already. The room door was very insecure - you could see the light in the hallway clearly around the frame of the door, and one good kick to the handle would have easily opened it.

The rest of the hotel was fine. The staff were very good, always polite and smiling and chatting to the kids.

The free hotel shuttle ran at 08.15 and 10.15 to Magic Kingdom, and 12.15 to Epcot. It services a few hotels but beware - the free shuttle will NOT ALLOW YOU TO TAKE YOUR STROLLER. We therefore bought Lynx bus passes as the stop is nearby and made use of this extensively.

There is a good choice of food options in the food court, but we only ate there once as we preferred to dine up the street. The hotel is opposite Old Town which had some good choices of dining (Kool Katz Pub for one).

This hotel suited us and our budget, and as you are not in the hotel much on a break to Disney it didn't really matter what the hotel was like. We wouldn't return but not because of the hotel, we would just rather have an apartment next time with kitchen facilities.

1 Thank David G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
new york
Reviewed June 4, 2009

Well right from the very beginning the clerk at the desk got our reservations wrong. We had booked three nights and the first morning we were there we were given a checkout notice for 12:00 pm. Well when we went to the desk they had us staying only one night. Then the manager informs us to remember our parking permit and my husband told him we had not received one. Again another blunder. I knew she seemed a little ditzy but oh boy!!!! We were asked to go to the welcome center when we finished at the front desk and were given a line about 3 for the price of one at Pirates Dinner theatre. Well no one informed us we would have to sit thruogh a 90 minute timeshare program. We weren't interested and were given our money back. The room itself was just barely okay. As we weren't in the room it wasn't that bad but the hallway carpets looked as if they hadn't been vaccumed in days, same with the elevators. the place looked dingy and dirty. The carpet in our rooms looked as if they needed to be replaced three years ago. When I called the desk to request something they always seemed to get it wrong. I will not stay here again as I don't want to be troubled when I'm trying to enjoy myself. We just didn't like it at all. I was very disappointed as I had heard this was a good hotel. It was smelly and dirty in the halls and it was hotter than hot in the halls also. The man in the hotel store was on the phone when I went in to get batteries. When I asked for the batteries he acted as if I was interrupting him. No good. After all our trouble we weren't even offered a free breakfast. Nothing. Never again will they take my money and pooh on my.

1 Thank 12abcd

Travelers are raving about these Kissimmee hotels

Georgia
Reviewed May 23, 2009

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Maingate East for a pre- Disney Spring Break Overnight stay. I booked a kids suite. The check in process was fairly smooth. The desk staff seemed to be very helpful or at least the girl I dealt with at check in was. This level of service was hit or miss later. The hotel, while billed as a Holiday Inn, is actually not a Holiday Inn owned property. It is leased for rights to be a Holiday Inn. This was on a sign in the lobby (small sign). Still no big deal. The place was packed. It was a busy week, so the staff was taxed to some degree. The hotel has good facilities. We only stayed one night so I cannot say much about the hotel as a whole. We did not use the pool. We did not eat at the restaurant. We did not use the bar. We did look at these areas. The lobby also has an area that seems to sell Disney stuff...tickets etc. Here is my take on the hotel facility. We got on the elevator after check in. The elevators are old and seemingly in need of service. They are slow and make a great deal of noise while riding in them. You know the type. Everyone in the elevator looks at each other with a sort of shocked and "uh oh" look on their face. The hallway on our floor looked as if the carpet had been laid about 10 years ago. Since that time many things had spilled or been ground into it. It was in bad need of replacement. The room was clean and adequate. It was big enough for us and comfortable. The kids suite was basically no more than a bunk bed with a partition wall. It was not enclosed in any way and opened to the bathroom. The kids had their own TV. The "bedroom" for us adults was a queen bed and TV of our own more toward the window in the room. The bathroom was fairly clean but not as clean as I would have liked. The room was also fairly clean. We needed more towels than were provided as they had not left enough for four people in the room. We called the front desk and asked for more towels. They never arrived. We called several times. We were told a few times that we would be sent towels. At one point we were told that they were out of towels and we could not get any!!! This aggravated my wife so badly that she called the front desk and insisted that we get more towels or we needed to move to another hotel. The desk finally agreed to get us more towels if we came downstairs to get them. I went down to the desk as requested and advised that my wife had been told that we could get more towels there. I was then told that they did not have any more towels and they would try to get them to us later...about an hour later. It was nearly 9:30pm at this point. I simply decided not to shower that night and grab a shower in the morning if we had towels. Of course we had better have them at that point!!. A maid arrived at our door just 10 minutes after my return to the room with a few towels in her arms. She advised that she had just been told of our request and that she had plenty of towels. She could not understand why the desk had told us what they had told us. The overall experience was okay at best. I would not stay here again. I know of better places to stay that afford better service and have better, cleaner rooms. The location was not bad. It is close to many things. There are many more places with better location in this price range. If I had known that the hotel was not owed by Holiday Inn but leased under the name, I probably would not have booked here.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank dawgfan35
Lancashire
Reviewed May 22, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel for many years the last time was 2 years ago and then it was perfect. My recent stay wasnt as enjoyable, we had emailed the hotel prior to our stay to ask if we could have rooms facing the pool and low floors with a balcony as we were travelling with 5 young children in our party. We recieved confirmation of this before we left the UK. On arriving we were allocated 3 rooms on the first floor but no balconys and they faced a flat roof, we were then moved to the 6th floor and told they didnt have any rooms on a lower floor, so two weeks were spent with kids trapped in doors when we were in the room as the youngest was 19 mths old and could fit through the balcony railings. Our rooms were cleaned daily but certainly not to an high standard, we could write our name in the dust under the table and across the wooden headboards. I had to ask for toilet roll twice and the tissue box didnt get replaced on the last 3 days although i asked twice, i also had to find the maid on our floor 3 times to ask for coffee as she never left any and when i did find her she was busy chatting on her mobile sat on a bed in another room. The bedding (valance) on the bed next to the air con was mouldy and this never got replaced in the 2 weeks we stayed. Also we booked our holiday with a travel agent in the UK but the hotel still charged us £56 service charge whilst we were there and when we asked what that was for they said it covered the cost of the hotels facilities re: the pool, internet etc, total rip off when we had paid a full amount to our travel agent, and whilst there i needed to check my emails and they charged me $5 for access to the net. Most of the reception staff were helpful and polite apart from the blonde curly haired young lady who never smiles and needs to go on a customer service course. We have always stayed at this hotel for the last 15 yrs but i have to say this will probably be my last stay as there are others in the area that are similar in price and the staff are more professional. When your staying somewhere for 2 weeks holiday you expect it to be home from home and clean and comfortable but i cannot say this hotel offered that and several people i spoke to agreed and felt the same after all it isnt a motel and we wernt there for a night. Two years ago this hotel was amazing we even got a pillow menu, suprised how much its changed. Very disappointed as this was a well planned family holiday and the hotel let us down. Apart from all this our holiday was fantastic.

2 Thank jayne21Lancashire
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed May 19, 2009

Needed a place to stay upon returning to Orlando from vacation. Obtained this property through priceline and was pleased with the property. The hotel has been remodeled but this is an older property and not even the most extensive remodeling is going to change that. However, that being said the hotel did well with the work that has been done and the room in particular met my expectations and having a private balcony helped surpass what I was looking for. Very nice and large pool, hot tub area - unfortunately it rained the day I was there so I didn't have a chance to use the pool. Hotel does have 2 towers - my preference would be the first tower as it is closest to the lobby and doesn't seem to be as isolated as the 2nd tower could be. Staff was just awesome - answered any questions and even went out of their way to hold my briefcase behind the front desk while I walked to the car to get one more item. Room size was fine especially given that you have a balcony as well - only the bathroom seemed on the small side but not to much the hotel can do it about that and it certainly woudn't impact my decision not to stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank JohnroFlorida
catasofia
Reviewed May 19, 2009

If you are unlucky enough to get a room facing the main road you will not get much sleep that night. You will hear every motorcycle, car honking it's horn and every other noise that will keep you up along with the noise from the amusement park across the street. Hotel is right across the street from "OLD TOWN". We were also unluckly enough to stay there on an evening when they were having problems with their pipes so my 7 year old dauther and I were woken up by that noise at about 1:50 am and kept up for a while by lovely concert from the pipes.

1 Thank catasofia
Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2009

We were on the 2nd floor & able to access the outdoors off our balcony. That's a big plus!
The staff was courteous, just didn't care for the hostess telling us to get our welcome bag to find out we were being talked into a timeshare program..that was a turn-off.
The outdoor pool was very clean & enjoyable.
The only gripes we had were first & foremost the bathroom. Truly, I have never been in a hotel room with a bathroom so small. When I say elbow to elbow, I am not kidding. Big disadvantage to the room. Also, the fact that most people are there vacationing with family, the room didn't have a microwave or frig. You can get them for $5 per night for each. They should come with the room.
All in all though, the hotel was very clean & we enjoyed our stay. Would we go back? Probably not because of the bathroom being so small. My husband is a big guy & was not too happy!