“Avoid at all costs”

Ranked #35 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
Palm Bay, Florida
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Used Priceline and got this hotel. Checked in at 8:30 after a long day at Disney celebrating my daughter's 16th birthday. We needed a night of good rest so that we could go to another Disney park early the next morning. I asked for connecting or adjacent rooms since we are a family of 5. The front desk associate did spend quite a bit of time searching, but was only able to find rooms across from each other. I appreciated her efforts. It went downhill from there. I was surprised to learn about a resort fee, since I thought that having used Priceline I had already paid the total amount. I was too tired to disagree and figured I had missed out on some fine print somewhere on the Priceline website. I was directed around to the back side of the property where our building #1 was, and told that I would need to use my room key to access the secure parking lot. No need.... the security gate was wide open for anyone to enter. Not a good sign of things to come. We were told to park alongside the back of building #1. Not possible. The few spaces they have were all filled. We ended up having to park past building #6 and lugging our things through the dimly lit "safe" parking lot.
Once inside the building, we saw that our rooms (1131 and 1132) were the first two on the hall and each within 3 feet of the exterior door. The door latch is extremely loud, as are the wheels of luggage being pulled over the threshold, the noisy teens as they come in and out from the pool, and the adults coming through talking to others or on cell phones, seemingly unaware that there might be guests inside those first two rooms who might be trying to sleep!
That I could handle. But then I saw that they had given us 2 king beds. For a party of 5! There was no mention at the front desk that we would need a rollaway. Tried to call guest services from the phone in 1132 three times. Didn't work. Went over and tried from 1131. Worked, but the phone just rang and rang and rang...no one picked up on the other end. I kept that phone going and used my cell phone to call the hotel direct. Sure enough, they picked up that one. Seems they are more concerned about getting new customers than taking care of current ones. (Especially ones that used Priceline.) When I told the operator our dilemma, she said with quite an attitude, "And what do you want me to do?" I simply responded that we were very tired and would like for each of us to have a bed. (Had we had small kids, it would have been a no brainer, but we had 3 teens.) The operator seemed frustrated with me and said she would get the front desk. I was on hold quite a while before someone came on and said that because I paid with Priceline the hotel did not know how many people were in our party. If I had to fill out that information, even the ages of my children, during reservation with Priceline, one would assume that that info is passed on to the hotel that accepts my 'winning bid'. (Even if that is not the case, front desk people should be trained to ask what kind of bed is preferred or what are the ages of the children to avoid problems like these.) She said they had no double beds available at all. The only thing she could do was send a rollaway and not charge us for it.
Thank goodness there was no fee for the bed; it literally looked like a hammock. The center was a good 6 - 8" below the edges. It creaked with every movement, and of course you could feel the framework through the thin mattress. My daughter considered sleeping on top of the blanket provided with the cot to make it more comfortable, but there was not another blanket in the room to lay on top of her.
Soon after getting the bed situation underway, I checked the setting on the a/c because it was really warm. According to the wall unit it was 65 degrees. Obviously broken, I called the operator who said she would send someone out. Twenty minutes later I called again and asked for a status of my request. It was about 10:20 now and by this time we were more than exhausted, and were really ready to get into comfortable sleep clothes but since we were all ladies staying in the room we stayed completely dressed. The operator said she would call the technician and call us right back. She never called. Within 10 minutes we heard a noise in the a/c unit and felt cool air. Two minutes after that the tech showed up. I asked him if he had done something outside of the room to make it come on to which he replied that he did not. He said it should work now but just in case switched the controls from the wall unit to the manual unit and said that it would get colder that way because the wall units can go down to 60 but the wall units can only go down to 65. He was friendly, but smelled strongly of smoke which was very unpleasant and not helpful to my kids with asthma and allergies. He said he thought it was ok, but if it wasn't he would need to change it out and that would take at least 45 minutes.
We got settled in for bed, and less than 20 minutes after the tech left the a/c quit working, never to return. I cried and cried. Nothing I could do now. It was after 10:30. (Although the only way I knew that was because of our cell phone; there was no alarm clock in the room.) The girls were in bed, trying to sleep through the noisy hall, noisy door, creaking mis-shapen cot, and now a fan blowing warm air. So much for a special 16th birthday. And worst of all, I had used Priceline so I had no leverage. It actually seemed to me that the staff treated me very unkindly because I was only staying one night and that I had used Priceline.
To add insult to injury, the following morning when I was hurriedly trying to get out of that hotel, it took a full 5 minutes to get water warm enough for a shower and the electricity went out (at least on our floor, if not the bldg) while I was putting in my contacts. It resumed after a long minute.
I cannot comment on the decor/dated concerns that other guests have had, as I spent all of my waking hours putting out fires, unsuccessfully. I can say that the two phones that worked in 1131 both had wires crackling so loudly it was difficult to hear the person on the other end. In addition, my daughter (like a previous reviewer) hit her shin on a piece of bed frame that juts out.

Some of you may wonder: I paid $70 for each room. Personally, I wouldn't even pay $10 to stay there. The hotel operator was extremely rude and lied to me. The property is not safely secured and sound carries greatly. This was supposed to be a 3 star property. I've stayed at Hampton Inns and Country Inns and Suites that were exceedingly more comfortable than this and most importantly, the staff was exceedingly more attentive and kind. I know this hotel is getting a 'facelift' within the year, but unless they switch out their staff, it won't be enough to raise my opinion that you should avoid this hotel at all costs.

Room Tip: Don't choose 1131 if you want a/c. Don't choose 1132 unless you don't mind listening t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Karen M
Tatianna782, Executive Assistant at Radisson Resort Orlando-Celebration, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel. We are sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your visit. We will be sharing your review with our staff to ensure these issues are addressed and corrected. . On behalf of Radisson resort Orlando-Celebration we do apologize and hope we are once again given the opportunity to serve your lodging needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I had a 2 week stay here with my Wife for our Florida vacation.

Service was very good for most of the time with one incident in the 2 week stay making me mark down to average. This was when there was an inconsiderate guest in the next dor room who went out for an entire night and left the television on very loud causing us to not be able to sleep. When I called reception and asked if the ajoining doors were very badly soundproofed or if the guest was unreasonable the lady burst out laughing. It was 1.30 in the morning ish and I wasn't really that amused myself but maybe she thought I was making a joke of the situation. The part that I found worst was the solution, which was to move my Wife and I to another room which turned out to be of lower standard than the one we were in. After I realised the room was of lower standard I called the front desk who then agred for us to move back and get security to take action with the other guest if he became too loud again. I think asking the other guest to move to a room without an ajoining door may have been a fairer solution especially given that we had to pack up 2 weeks worth of belongings to make the move while that guest was in for just 2 nights (Thank goodness). Other than this incident I can't fault the service, I was made feel very welcome as a Concierge Club Carlson member at check in and a very helpful lady in the Exec office helpede me twice with printing out some vouchers.

Overall this was great value for money as I was booking entirely with my Club Carlson points. However had I been paying the current published cash rate of $109 per night (plus resort fee) I would have probably thought I could have gone somewhere a bit more modern and plush for the same price, especially if I had been in one of the lower grade rooms like the one they almost moved me to. Important to note that the helpful lady in the exec office pointed out that the resort is due for renovation in the next 12 months so the out of date decor, worn carpets and furnishings that feature in a lot of the reviews on here will soon be a thing of the past. My room 6607 did look a bit dated (apart from the nice flatscreen TV) but it was clean and tidy and I can't say it was cause for complaint bar the poor sound proofing on the ajoining room door which I think are very intrusive in any hotel i've stayed.

Again apart from the noise from the ajoining door the sleep quality was great and would recomend the sleep number beds which I enjoyed having the ability to adjust my side separately from my wifes.Cleanliness was good with a daily maid service. Can't fault the location being right on the junction of I4 and US 192. The only thig really letting the hotel down is the dated decor and what would seem to be some shabby rooms (but not the one I was in).

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with ajoining doors
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Plainfield, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

The staff, amenities, pools, bar, and everything BUT the room is fine here. The inside [rooms] need to be upgraded in a big way! The rooms are dank and smell of old carpet odors...The bathroom looks the same as it did in the 1980s and the antiquated room Ac/Heater is awful. It is filled with dust and noisy as hell. I do not recommend this particular place to sleep in, although everything else here was nice.

Room Tip: do not recommend a room here.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tatianna782, Executive Assistant at Radisson Resort Orlando-Celebration, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this helpful feedback and insight! We greatly appreciate your honest review and would like to share some wonderful news with you, Our Hotel will be starting our room renovations this Spring of 2013. . We hope that you reconsider and decide to stay with us again.

Travelers are raving about these Kissimmee hotels

Jacksonville, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I should have listened to the reviews I read on tripadvisor about this hotel and never have booked it. We had such a bad experience that we only stayed here one night before we decided to leave. The hidden resort fee when everything at the resort is closed was a joke. The "secure" parking was also not working. I am not a picky person when it comes to hotels but this one was just horrendous.

First, it is in serious need of a renovation as our room had unglued carpet, a hole in the wall behind the toilet, and a musky odor. The walls are paper thin and we could hear every person walking by the room. All of these things were still not enough to make me leave. What finalized my decision was a dirty hand towel in the bathroom, a red stain on the white sheet, and a huge cockroach in the bathroom.

My fiancé went to the front desk to complain and he noted that he was not the only one complaining about our room. Very displeased with our stay here and would absolutely not recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kaylee M
Tatianna782, Executive Assistant at Radisson Resort Orlando-Celebration, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this helpful feedback and insight! We greatly appreciate your honest review and will take into careful consideration what you have shared and as a team will determine ways to improve~ as we know there is always room for improvement!
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

This hotel is gross. The only thing worse than the dirty bathrooms and grungy rooms is the riff raft that stay here. Paper thin walls means you can hear every screaming kid in adjoining rooms, halls and outside. Parking is atrocious. Avoid at all costs unless you live in a trailer at which point it might feel like home.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kevin D
We are sorry about your experience at the Radisson Resort Orlando-Celebration. We want to ensure you that we are delivering fast fun and friendly service consistently to all of our guests. I will discuss your review with our staff to ensure that we are doing our best. Thank you for sharing your comments with us, We are looking forward to our renovation this up in coming year
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel 01/15/13-01/17/13. This hotel is just ok. It is in need of some renovation. The carpets in the room are worn and a little dirty. Beds are sleep number, which is nice. Bathroom clean, no mold. Televisions picture is so so. Only 38 channels. Very expensive for ordering movies. I would not suggest it. The carpets everywhere were in need of serious replacement. The elevators are disgusting.
I had room service one morning. The service was very promt, but the food was lacking. The eggs were raw. I ordered scrambled well done. They have a quick service diner which is really good for snacking or for meals. They also have a sports bar, which I did not go to. It was freezing that weekend so i did not use the pool, but i heard it was nice. Lists of activities going on everyday. Kids movies in the lobby at night.

This property never really felt safe. dark parking lots, the gates for security were never closed, even at night. In order to get into the buildings you are supposed to use your room key. I never once had to use my room key to open these doors even at 1am. Doesnt give you that sense of security.

Overall this property would not be worth the price, thank god i used miles. I might return if the address some of the above issues.

Room Tip: Very close to Disney!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tina P
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I arrived at 11pm on a weeknight. I was told I would be staying in Bldg #5 and I asked about parking lot lighting since I was a woman travelling alone. I was then told that security was on the property and although the lighting was poor I shouldn't worry. This still made me uncomfortable. Upon entering Bldg#5 I noticed a smell not a chlorine like smell like some hotels but this was more of a dirty feet type smell. Upon entering my room the smell did not get any better. The room appeared to be clean, but the musty, moldy smell was overwhelming. I was supposed to be there for 3 nights, however, I checked out after the first night because of this stench. I do believe there was a mold issue as the next morning I was having some allergy issue. The common areas, the lobby, the pool, the meeting facilities were all in good condition and the staff was excellent, however, the room was awful and I would be embarrassed as a Radisson to let anyone stay in these conditions. Hopefully your upgrades will start in Bldg #5.

Room Tip: Don't allow them to put you in Building #5 at all.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Tatianna782, Executive Assistat at Radisson Resort Orlando-Celebration, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thanks very much for your recent feedback and comments. Everyone at Radisson Resort Orlando – Celebration Hotel makes every effort to insure our guest’s safety, Satisfaction and comfort. We take these comments very seriously and have undertaken a complete investigation to remedy such an occurrence repeating itself in the future. All of our rooms and suites have undergone a thorough cleaning and inspection by both our housekeeping and maintenance departments. We strive to be the best to your accommodations. We do apologize for any inconvenience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Holiday Inn Orlando SW - Celebration Area
Ramada Kissimmee Gateway
Ramada Kissimmee Gateway
#39 of 152 in Kissimmee
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,434 reviews

Been to Radisson Resort Orlando-Celebration? Share your experiences!