“Fantastic hotel employees try to compensate for hotel's shortcomings”

Radisson Resort Orlando-Celebration
Ranked #36 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Fantastic hotel employees try to compensate for hotel's shortcomings”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed here last year and wrote a glowing review of this hotel and was eagerly anticipating our return this year for an annual convention at the nearby Gaylord Palms. First, the good. The hotel pools are great, including multiple hot tubs, a heated pool, the big slide, and a waterfall. The pool activities were great, and I really enjoyed the DJ that was there from noon until around 3. They had great activities for my kids, and they always ended up with cute little prizes. The free ice cream sundaes were a nice treat, and the food was an overall pretty good value. 2 kids meals came free with each adult meal, and the hotel gives you several BOGO drink coupons and various other coupons as well. Overall, the hotel employees, especially the lifeguards and various servers/bartenders were over the top nice, helpful, and friendly.

Now for the not so good. Our room smelled very musty, but we didn't want to move because my in-laws were in the room next door. The front desk said several times that they'd have someone spray the room, but no one ever did. They were nice enough to give us 2 free drink coupons and 2 breakfast coupons as a result, but our room never smelled acceptable (1304, as I know the manager typically reads these). The rooms, as many have said, need some renovation in the very near future. Our bathroom wall tiles had rust stains on them, and our elevator always said 7th floor on the inside, so we and many others got out on the wrong floor a few times before remembering this. There was also a large hairball in the hallway that was clear as day, yet it sat there for 3 days with nobody removing it. Sadly, one of the times I got out of the elevator on the wrong floor I realized it only because I didn't see the hairball. Finally, despite a flier offering a free drink every night at the sports lounge from 530-630pm, I walked in mid-stay to find that they had stopped offering this. The explanation was that too many people took the drink and left without patronizing the bar further. Then make people stay for the drink!! We actually ate there twice, so this bummed me out. When I complained up front, I was given a night's comp for the resort fee, free breakfast coupons, and that drink coupon I wanted all along.

Overall, I'd imagine that this hotel is a good value factoring in location and price. My wife's company paid, so I can't provide any insight on that. I think that the smell of the room really skewed my opinion. I had such a great time last year, and I never left the hotel again this year because we all had so much fun at the pool. This hotel has good bones.....great resort activities, great location, amazing staff....but for me it's some room renovation/refreshing away from being a 5 star for overall value.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Sharif_M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Booked 7 days vis BA.com at the above rate and if you can get it around that price you won't be dissapointed.

We were allowed to check in at 1030 and allocated a ground floor room in the "3000" block which is a little further from the pools than we'd like but no problem. Rooms are fine and the A/C works well. The view out over the pond was nice but the free WiFi was variable in it's reception and speed. Housekeeping was fine.

The "resort" has enough to keep you going without ever leaving with a Pizza Hut Express serving the usual fare plus some surprisingly nice pasta dishes that can be delivered to your room. There is also a gift shop that does water and basic essentials.

The Sports Bar adjacent to reception is a little tired but the staff are good and they are also very nice at the pool bar.

Talking of pools - they are the highlight of the resort. The larger of the two features a waterfall and slide with some kids events arranged throughout the day by a rather entertaining DJ who is pretty good fun but the "other" pool is something else. This is basically the largest "hot tub" I have ever seen - it's a heated swimming pool (up to 6 feet deep!) and must have been 110 deg F and available for use right up till 11pm! Fantastic!

The Mandolins restaurant served breakfast and dinner and operates a "kids free" program where a child eats free with every adult. We only tried breakfast and it was certainly OK for $25 bucks inc tip for 2 adults and a child.

If you stay for a week or two one thing you'll need to watch is your tab creeping up as a couple of (TWO) cocktails and an OJ for the kid at the pool bar is $25. Occasionally you may have 2 each and that's $50. When we checked out the reception manager commented to me that "I drink a lot!!!" I replied "No, you charge a lot!".

Overall - it's spot on if you get a good rate.

3 Thank John T
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My family stayed in the 5000 wing overlooking the lake in June this year. We were pretty happy with our room. It was clean and had a full size fridge and a coffee maker. The tv was a flat screen and the room had free wifi which was nice. The air con was super efficient and the room had a free safe which was large enough for ipad camcorder and all our valuables. The beds were comfortable and the sheets were very clean white cotton. The shower was powerful and the housekeeping was superb. The toiletries were replaced each day and reams of fluffy towels were left and the room was beautifully clean when we returned from a tiring day at the parks.
The hotel itself was nice. There is a Starbucks and a Pizza Hut Express on site which is handy. The restaurant seemed ok. We had a pleasant breakfast there on a few occasions which included all the usual hot and cold options. We didn't eat other meals on site. There are a couple of pools, one is heated while the other has a slide and a waterfall. The pool area has loads of loungers and a bar which is handy. We also used a very warm hot tub and there is also a big supply of towels to use pool side which is nice.
The hotel has a shop and free newspapers in the lobby. There is also a business suite with free use of computers and printers which we really appreciated. The grounds are kept very nicely and the general area is very close to Disney parks ( a fifteen minute drive and only a shade further for Universal and Seaworld) There is also hotel shuttle services for those without cars and this seemed popular. This hotel is near Highway 192 which has lots of shops and restaurants, all the usual ones are there and we took advantage of these on a daily basis. The hotel food is a bit pricey and you need to remember to add the taxes or be in for a nasty shock!
There are a couple of minor niggles. The security was a bit lax. The gate was rarely locked at night and our swipe card entry system was broken. fortunately we did not feel unsafe at any time in this area. It was not a "rough" area as far as we could tell.
the pool side entertainment was a bit scratchy and our room carpet was rather old and worn. The communal areas are actually quite impressive, but the updating needs to continue to roll out. The fortnight we stayed hosted a three or four day U.S Veterans Conference so the hotel was very very busy with many former military bikers (leathers and tattoos abound) and their choppers. The veterans were very pleasant in passing but our six your old girl was a little intimidated by the sheer number of bikers in every part of the hotel, and the pool was a bit tricky to access for the weekend of this gathering ( there was a bbq and a bit of bad language after a few beers which wasn't ideal for young kids) this was perhaps unfortunate. I would advise checking on large parties staying when you hope to go if you want a quiet time as this hotel seems to host a lot of conferences.
Finally the "resort fee" of $14 a day is cheeky. and will add $70 a week to your bill so factor it in when you budget for your break. We would definately stay here again as it is perfectly fine and so close to everything, but we would still recommend a car to get out and about at your own pace. Well done Radisson , your housekeeping staff are superb and you deserve the four star rating.

Room Tip: Our 5000 wing was quiet and seemed to very nice.
1 Thank Lucy B
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We spent our days at the WDW parks and this hotel was perfect for our needs.
Nice, clean with comfy beds; it's a bit old but still totally functional.
No bad smell at all and we found a very friendly cleaning staff.
The staff at the reception was not always very nice, though.
Breakfast amazing, a lot of choices with pleasant and helpful staff.
Very well maintained gardens, pool and hot tub. We'll come again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed June 17, 2012

This hotel is DISGUSTING. It's really old and crummy. . There's a rank smell lurking in the elevators, hallways and the room of course. By the condition of the room, it should be called a motel. The room was literally FALLING APART; the big thick plastic baseboard was completely separated from the wall and exposed a nasty, grimy, dirty wall. There was a blanket of dust and what looked like mold on the sprinkler inside the room. And there was a FUNKY chair in the room (we had a room with a king bed). It looked like something you see on the side of the road....and the one large bath towel I was using had a nasty brown stain on it ( I didn't notice it until I started using it). I was mortified! Oh, and the was hair in the tub as I stepped in...and it was not mine (it was red hair and mine is black)

..it was $80/night on Travelocity, but when you get to the hotel, they have a surprise fee waiting for you. It's called a "resort fee" and it's $11 a day plus some random taxes. (for a 2 day stay, the 'resort fee' was $24) They said the 'resort fee' is for the amenities...which they stated were 'parking, business center and pool'. Ridiculous...ive never been charged a 'resort fee' but told that parking was free, etc. And then the hotel charged our account a random $40, and no one at the front desk could tell us what it was or where it came from, and they didn't know how to fix it. All they said they could do was have us call "Accountng" (a 1-800 #)

so we pad $201 for the room for 2 nights, plus the 'resort fee' of $24, plus we were charged a random $40 fee that no one could tell us where it came from...all this $ and this place was a DUMP. Complete waste of money. I will never book another hotel online unless I've been there before. Lesson learned.

Room Tip: Rooms are nasty
4 Thank Karen S
, Online Customer Support, Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group at Radisson Resort Orlando-Celebration, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
We apologize for your experience at our hotel. We are in contact with management regarding the condition of the hotel and the guest rooms, so we can avoid future occurrences to ensure we can meet your satisfaction. Thank you for your feedback.
tyne and wear
Reviewed June 16, 2012

check in , was easy and the staff were helpful.
the pool is heated in the winter and wonderful. we used it at 6 in the morning (jet lag)
it was steaming hot....glorious.......the pool and gardens were the best thing about the hotel.
the restaurant was poor. and the rooms were fine...... a bit musty....but most american hotel rooms are due to no opening windows and the type of air conditioning they have. despite this....the hotel was friendly and welcoming,......the facilities were good, giant chess, draughts, jacuzzis, 2 pools, bingo and pool activities each day if you wanted them.....very unobtrusive if you did'nt which was great.
location was excellent for all the disney parks.
the hotel is a little dated, but as a family we loved our stay here and would choose it agin pronto.
It was excellent value for money.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed June 15, 2012

After agonizing over hotel options and pricing for our last minute trip to Disney we chose this hotel. This hotel was recommended by the "unofficial guide to disney" book. If you are going to Disney I would highly recommend this book as it has so many insider tips on making your trip go smooth and reducing the amount of time you wait in lines.

I booked this hotel for $72.00 per night. It took 11 minutes from the time I started the car until I exited the car at the Magic Kingdom. Eight minutes to Hollywood Studios. No traffic issues that many experience who have to travel I-4 from their hotel to the park. The pools were large, the kids loved the slide, they had activities by the pool for kids every day including free ice cream on some days. They showed 2 kid movies on a big screen in the lobby each night. Food was ok quality and priced right for families. Had a pizza hut on premise that delivered to the rooms. Tons of restaurants around the hotel as well as a CVS for all the things you forgot to bring. If you want to save $100-$200 per night from what many other off Disney properties are charging this is a great choice. If I had paid $175-$250 per night to stay here then I would have a small list of things that I feel they could improve on. But since I got what I paid for I gave this hotel 5 stars. There are signs throughout the property telling you to contact management if your stay is not to your satisfaction. For the price, there is nothing to complain about. They do have sleep number beds in some rooms so ask about that if you are particular about the firness of your bed.

Insider tip: Trying to leave Magic Kingdom (MK) after the 9pm parade and fireworks can take forever since everyone has to take the monorail back to the parking lot. Get to MK right when it opens at 9am and stay until the crowds get crazy at 2pm. Return to your hotel for a swim and nap for the kids. At 6pm drive to the Contempory Resort and tell the gate that you are dining at the hotel. Valet your car for 12 bucks, and eat at the casual self serve restaurant where the monorail comes through the hotel or any other that appeals to you. After you eat, $9-12 per person, take one escalator to the monorail for the 10 minute ride to MK. Stay for the parade and fireworks at 9pm and then when the masses are fighting to get on the monorail to their cars, simply walk back to the Contempory which takes about 10-12 minutes and claim your car from valet and drive home.

4 Thank fondueguy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Holiday Inn Orlando SW - Celebration Area
Park Inn By Radisson Resort and Conference Center Orlando
Quality Suites The Royale Parc Suites
Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration
Fairfield Inn & Suites Orlando Kissimmee/Celebration
Magic Moment Resort and Kids Club

Been to Radisson Resort Orlando-Celebration? Share your experiences!