“Hmmm... this is a tough one.”

Parkway International Resort
Ranked #10 of 155 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed February 12, 2011

First let me say that we own at Parkway International, but I am going to make every effort to give an objective review. We were also there during a week of poor weather, although we travelers may not realize it, the weather can tilt our opinion, but I will try and not have that affect my review either.

We had one week on deposit with the Resort program itself that was going to expire soon so my husband and I decided to use it for our first vacation without our boys in 15 years. (It was also the 1st time we stayed here at our home resort). For this purpose the 2 bedroom suite was a perfect size, we did not use the 2nd bedroom but the 2nd bath was a nice plus, but if we would have had our 3 boys with us, it would have been tight for us. There were not many draws offered in the master bedroom either.

General info:
This is a mature resort, old is not the right word as the units were all re-done within the last 5-6 years. The first building done (the building we stayed in and own in, "C") shows the most wear. The guests who stay at Parkway are also more mature than many other places we have stayed, some in age, all in behavior, some both. With that said it is also a great place for kids with many activities. Maybe not the best place for singles and those who enjoy a "night-life" or "partying" atmosphere. It has a laid back, festive feel, but not rowdy. Staff was fine, they where neutral about us and we were neutral about them.

M-F they offer coffee, orange juice, packaged muffins or bagels, granola bars and packages of oatmeal. Not a full continental breakfast by any means, but we made good use of it.

All units are 2b/2b with a king size bed in the master and 2 twins in the 2nd bedroom. I understand they can prep some rooms to have 2 king beds by putting the twins together for you. There is a mini W&D, full kitchen, dining room, living room and a screened in patio. The suite has outside entry both in front and back - loved that! The rooms are decorated in an African Motif. Nothing showed much, if any, wear and tear but neither was it "fresh" or "brand new". Well appointed kitchen. Wireless I-net is free if you own here and maybe if you own at any Island One resort, but it was pretty darn slow, even with a strong signal.

The breakfast/lunch spiel after you check in and are getting your parking pass is a timeshare tour for Vacation Village at Parkway, the neighboring Resort, we own there too. We bought our 2b/2b there from private owners, but we did do the timeshare tour at VV@P about a year ago and it was one of the most horrible experiences of our life, we will never do it again!

This is a timeshare resort and like all the timeshare resorts we have stayed in, daily housekeeping does not come standard, so be prepared to make your own bed.

Supplies we found in our room:
TP
Paper Towels
Kleenex
Trash Bags
Liquid dish detergent
2 single size packs of dishwasher detergent
1 single size washing machine detergent (we use and are happy with the 2-n-1 wash & dry sheets)
1 Caf & 1 D-caf coffee
Sugar/Sweetener packages & powered creamer packages
Small soap bars

Pros:
• Location, location, location - just east of I-4, it is only minutes from Disney and a short jog up I-4 to Seaworld, Discovery Cove, Universal, etc. Publix is just a couple blocks west and about every place you can imagine to eat is within a 5 minute drive.
• Quiet - you might think that a resort so close to a main drag and interstate would have a traffic noise problem, but the lush vegetation totally insulates out all traffic noise!
• Attractive grounds - really one of the best, mostly natural landscapes we have seen. The nature walk is a nice bonus too!
• Awesome jetted tub, but do not care for it's location. I like the configuration of having a nice jetted tub where you view the bedroom and the TV versus the bathroom and bowl.
• Very pretty pool area and finally a true Hot Tub!
• Comfy bed but the pillows where a little too plump for me.
• Not a single bug in sight.

Cons:
• In an effort to conserve energy, they go way over board using the energy efficient light bulbs making the entire unit way too dark! I finally had to just start leaving lights on so as to not have to wait for them to "warm up".
• Carpet in the living room. We prefer tile. Regardless if it looks dirty or not, I always "feel" like carpet is dirty unless it is brand new.
• No door on the laundry area so you could not close off the sound of the w&d.
• TV - The size in the living room is fine, the one in the master is small (sorry, forgot to look at the 2nd b.r.), but the worst thing is the lack of selection. Only the most basic channels. Why does TV matter when in Orlando? Well when it rains, or is cold and you can't hit the pool after a day at the parks, it might be nice to wind down with a decent movie, not possible here unless you like only the oldies. But, with that said, the current rack rates to stay here may be worth the trade off.
• Pool was too cool for the season, we could have swam if it where warmer. We visited the Resort where we will be staying Dec of 2011 and tested the pool temp there, it was very warm and swimmable even with weather barley hitting 60º.
• The exercise room is sad, depressing and packed with way to much stuff! I love to work out, but I walked in then right back out.

The resort is above "Average" but "Very Good" is not quite right either. Wish I could give it 3 1/2 stars = "Good".

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LadyFan55

Reviewed February 11, 2011

Have been to Orlando six times and this is by far the best accomodations we have ever had. Our Garmin GPS took us right to it. Having such a huge room was wonderful, especially with a family of six in one of the rooms. The kitchen was large and had everything I looked for to cook meals from pots and pans, baking pans/sheets, utensils, dishes, silverware, etc. Had a hand mixer, blender, coffee maker, sandwich grill, knife block, cutting board. My family enjoyed the whirlpool tub in the master bathroom, but there was also a walk in shower in there. They accomodated us by placing our two families next door to each other. We had a ground floor room which was good with little children and a 7-8 months pregnant woman (note-no elevators!). Having a washer and dryer was wonderful and soap was provided for it as well as for the dishwasher and dishsoap. No, there is no shampoo provided but soap was provided. Parking was right outside the door. There were tennis courts and a pool area which the kids used and enjoyed. There is a little strip mall behind the hotel with a grocery store and restaurants. The grounds were clean and beautiful. We were located in the building furthest from the front office and it was very nice and quiet there. When we arrived they told us after we signed in (and had provided our vehicle information) that we needed to go into a side room and get our 'permanent parking pass' from a gentleman but we politely declined and walked out of the lobby (we got no parking tickets while there either!) No one called us to ask us to a "breakfast", etc, until the day we were leaving and then they apologized for calling when told them we were checking out. Everyone was polite. I can see no point in buying into this time share as the rates were excellent to just rent and not have the other hassle/obligation. The location is excellent-easy to get in and out of and it is close to all main attractions. We have found the place we will always stay on our future visits!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Not a bad place to stay for the money. Probably will need a car to get to the hotel. Staff pleasant and the rooms clean but starting to show there age. Our room not ready so we were changed to a poolside room. Wouldn't recommend staying in one of these as the noise from the bar, pool and the music from7 in the morning is a bit much. We were there in winter and the cleaners cranked the music up when cleaning early in the morning!
Ove ll a good place to stay with easy access to all the theme parks and local shopping. Great having a kitchen to be able to prepare our own food.

Reviewed January 27, 2011

I have been surprised to see a couple of quite negative reviews recently especially after my stay a couple of weeks ago. We had a lovely time at this hotel.

We arrived at the hotel, and were told that we did not have the ground floor room I had requested with Expedia. Obviously I was disappointed, there are no lifts and I have a disabled Mother. Everett was more than happy to help us by rescheduling a few rooms and we were soon in the hotel on the ground floor... thank you Everett! He always had a smile for us, and was most helpful.

We had no experience with the parking passes, and except for one call asking us to breakfast (the timeshare pitch) we were not bothered again.

My family prefer being left to their own devices,and having no cleaning service suited us fine.

The good -
*The reception staff - friendly and helpful
*The washer/dryer - going home with clean clothes is lovely
*Full kitchen - did not really use it, but I would use it in the future. It has everything you need
*Comfortable beds - great pillows
*Quiet, private setting
*Clean
*No sign of any bugs - the only 'pest' we saw was a racoon waiting for his/her breakfast. Cute
*3 TV's and a DVD player (I recommend that you bring some DVD's or rent them for $1 each from Publix... the free cable is terrible in the US)
*Huge master bathroom
*Excellent location on the 192, and just off the I4 - you are literally minutes from everywhere.
*Home away from Home - so comfortable and relaxing. It really was lovely to get back there after a day in the parks

The not so good-
*The rooms are dark - with the exception of the front twin room.
*If the months are cold, the heating is not the best
*The decor is not to everyone's taste, but I did not go to Orlando for the style and substance

Overall, I would love to go back to this hotel in the near future. I have recommended it to all of my family and friends as the most relaxing and pleasant place I have stayed in a very long time (and my job is field based with hundreds of hotel stays a year).

Reviewed January 26, 2011

PROS:
- Huge Rooms
- Decent Price
- One of the closest off Disney property hotels
- Jacuzzi tub in master bath
- On site playground
- 3 televisions
- Kitchen with utensils
- Washer/Dryer in room with detergent
- No cleaning crews to disturb you if you sleep late

CONS:
- Checked in around 9:00 PM, was told to come back to the concierge desk in the morning for a "Parking Pass." I came back at 7 AM (when they told me they opened) and the front desk said they wouldn't be in until noon. I wasn't going to rearrange my schedule to go get a "parking pass" for the hotel I was staying at. I never got one and my car was amazingly enough still there every morning.
- Front desk is closed from 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM. Had to check out at 4:00 AM to catch an early flight. Left keys in room, good thing I didn't need a receipt! I don't know how anyone would check-in if they got there late at night.
- "Continental breakfast" (oatmeal packets and stale granola bars) only served Mon-Fri
- No shampoo
- Only had 1 1/2 rolls of toilet paper between the 2 bathrooms
- Had a couple cockroaches in our room

Even though there are quite a few cons, I would stay here again if I was able to get a decent price. I would not want to be an owner (it is a timeshare property) nor would I pay the full regular nightly price.

Reviewed January 24, 2011

Not a warm and friendly check-in, but not rude either. Quick and efficient.
The whole place needs to be cleaned better, especially the floors. The kitchen needs a new toaster and could use a new coffee maker also, but it had everything needed including soaps for dishes, dishwasher and washing machine, paper towels, tissues, etc.
The beds were comfortable enough, but the sheets and pillow cases didn't smell real fresh, although they seemed clean.
The pool area was very nice, although there was hardly anyone there, so don't know what it would be like if it were full.
I guess the best thing about the place is it's location. Very close to parks as well as downtown Orlando.
Not sure if I would stay here again.

Reviewed January 20, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here for two weeks. I heard glowing reports about the place. I would definitley NOT rate this place higher than 3 stars ( if that ). Rude and uncaring front desk ( and an obnoxious game host ) were a few of the problems. Some of the should-be-obvious things were not taken care of : Towels and linens were never replaced, unless begged for, and the garbage problem ( they never said what to do with the garbage, although I specifically said you can come into the rented space and take the garbage ). A leaky showerhead was replaced quickly.
The place was old. Not dirty, but old with no elevators ( no big deal ). Mirrors and lion wallpaper everywhere. Just not my cup of tea. I also learned that January is not a good month to go swimming ( my bad ).
I felt like once they got you there, they forgot about you. I would rate this place between 2 and 3 stars.

2  Thank biged
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Quality Suites The Royale Parc Suites
Magic Moment Resort and Kids Club
Liki Tiki Village
Liki Tiki Village
#27 of 155 in Kissimmee

Been to Parkway International Resort? Share your experiences!