“Horrible place”

Knights Inn Maingate Kissimmee/Orlando
Ranked #84 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We reserved 4 nights, 3 nights for the part of our trip and 1 for the last night. Was really sorry we did that. The first room had a hole in the wall the size of someone's head. The room phone did not work neither did the control for the TV. Reported it twice, never was fixed. Guess you get what you pay for. Didn't want to have to return to the same motel, knowing what we would come back to. Wasn't surprised. Desk personal were very rude. 'Continental' breakfast consisted of dry donut holes, coffee (3 pots) and orange juice. Really, people do drink other things! Only good thing I can say is the location. We do things on a budget but this is way below even our standards.

Room Tip: Find a different motel, there are others that people on a budget can find.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank janelle h
KnightsInnMaingate, Guest Relations Manager at Knights Inn Maingate Kissimmee/Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Hi Janelle,

We have a 24 hour cancellation policy; you and your family were free to checkout of our hotel at any time and find a different hotel for your last night stay. Because I do not have your last name, I cannot look up your reservation. Therefore, I have personally inspected every room in the hotel and could not find this supposed “hole in the wall”. We have had no other complaints about this mysterious hole.

You must remember this is a budget hotel. You probably did not pay more than $40/night for your stay. At that price, there is only so much we can provide for breakfast.

There are newer reviews for Knights Inn Maingate Kissimmee/Orlando

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed here last week and was very satisfied. The manager checked me in and put me in one of the hotels newly renovated rooms. For the price I paid, I definitely got my money's worth. I would definitely stay here again. Thank you for a cheap and wonderful stay.

Room Tip: When checking in, ask for a room in the back, that is where mine was and it was newly renovated.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Morgan T

Hi Morgan,

Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel and our staff! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to save you some money!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed at the Knights Inn on 192 in Kissimmee the 10th of June and I must tel you the room was fine, had a refrigerator nice a/c internet worked great and bed was quite comfortable. would stay there again..thanks

Room Tip: Although the hotel is quite in-expensive, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank George M

Hi Geomyl,

Thank you so much for your positive review and for noticing the small details our hotel offers such as free wi-fi, in-suite refrigerator and microwave and new beds.

We hope to see you at our hotel again!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. I realize it was a budget $30 hotel but roaches and crap on the bathroom wall is uncalled for. Not to mention the hotel room I booked was suppose to sleep 5 people and the picture showed 2 queens and a small sofa bed. I was told no such room existed. The sheets were so nasty with yellow stains and pubic hairs that we slept in our clothes on top of covers. Being that close to Disney World it should have higher standards for itself.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank cindy p
Reviewed June 17, 2012

This past week, my church group had reservations at this hotel. A few days before arriving, I read the reviews for this facility and read the one about bedbugs. We called the management about this and were assured that that problem had been taken care of and all rooms were clean. Upon arrival, we immediately saw that that was NOT the case!! The first room we went in we were checking the bed and the headboard fell off and there was nasty black mold that had eaten holes in the wall. We were obviously disgusted by this. As we were going to complain to the office, others were walking out of their rooms with several other disturbing complaints. There were 2 little boys in our group that walked into their room and after walking out were covered with little bugs. I saw the dad plucking bugs off the poor screaming child's legs. There were also little bugs crawling on the tile floor of the office!!! This was without a doubt the nastiest place I have ever seen. I do not know how anyone could stay in a place like that. The man at the front desk seemed very nonchalant about the complaints and called his manager when we demanded out money back. They did give us the money (check) that we had just given them when we were checking in but refused to give us our $500 deposit. The manager was very mean to our group leader when she went to get this money. We were told during the phone call to him that he WOULD refund ALL our money, but he did not. Anyone who is thinking about staying at this nasty place should thing again!!!

Room Tip: Go to a different motel!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Barbara Y
KnightsInnMaingate, Manager at Knights Inn Maingate Kissimmee/Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Dear Barbara Y:

Your review is both inaccurate and full of hearsay. We offered you a special rate because you claimed to be a church group and upon making your reservation we informed you that we have a 24-hour cancellation policy. This policy is always in place and is displayed prominently when you make a reservation and upon check-in.

Upon checking in, you called the front desk multiple times with complaints. My maintenance man and housekeeping immediately came to your rooms to understand and rectify the situation. Upon arriving, the maintenance man noticed that the disorder and chaos you complained about was in fact created by your party. He even took pictures of all 15 rooms as evidence.

Your group evacuated the hotel without even stopping at the front desk to inform us. I tried to reach out to you multiple times that day to understand your situation, but you did not respond to my queries.

If you would like to discuss your dissatisfaction with me, please call the number listed above and ask to speak to the manager. I am more than happy to email you the pictures we took of your rooms (with your group in the pictures) to refresh your memory of the day’s events.

God bless you,

Reviewed June 1, 2012

reserved a smoking room with confirmation 3 months in advance-was told even with confirmation not guaranteed-don`t expect what you confirmed-will not stay again

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank frontierman45
KnightsInnMaingate, Manager at Knights Inn Maingate Kissimmee/Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Dear frontierman45:

I apologize that we were not able to offer you a smoking room upon your check-in. No hotel ever guarantees bed size, smoking rooms, near/far elevator or even wing/floor. It is not possible in our industry and we make it very clear when you are making your reservation. We try our hardest to accommodate your preferences and ensure that you have a pleasant stay. Unfortunately, you stayed with us during one of our busiest times of the year and we were sold out of smoking rooms.

Again we apologize we could not provide you with a smoking room.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

My girlfriend and I saw a coupon for this place in an accommodation magazine we grabbed at a rest area coming into Florida and decided to stay here for five nights while we visited the theme parks as it had the lowest room prices, free WiFi, shuttle transfers to the parks and a free continental breakfast.

At first, it was okay. Our room was quite rundown, as was the rest of the place, but it had working wi-fi and microwaves, which we wanted. We didn't really like that there was a dodgy second-hand theme park ticket stall running out of the corner of their reception room - even if it wasn't a scam, it seemed bad business sense and really cheapened the feel of the place, especially when you have some guy rolling his eyes at the fact that you'd rather buy your tickets from somewhere that seemed a little more official.

The theme park shuttle is a third party company that just stops at a bunch of motels in the area, so all the reception can do is tell you their timetable and where to stand to catch the bus. The shuttle only picked up once or twice in the morning and again late at night so you need to be prepared for a big day unless you want to pay for a cab.

As for the continental breakfast, it was coffee (and there might have been juice, too), along with a selection of a few different types of mini donuts. That is all.

HOWEVER, it all turned really bad (the worst accommodation experience we've ever had) on the morning after our third night (of five). When we woke up, my girlfriend noticed a tiny bug moving across the sheet so we caught it in a plastic cup. We used the WiFi to look up bed bugs, and the images matched. We called the reception and they sent a guy over to look, and he then confirmed that, yes, it was a bed bug. Despite needing to leave to get to one of the theme parks that day, we had to move all of our stuff out of the room and put it in the trunk of our car because they would be preparing a new room for us while we were out.

The uncaring staff didn't seem all that bothered by the confirmed bed bug discovery, and just told us that we'd have to wash all our clothes in really hot water before putting them into the new room. They gave us a bunch of laundry tokens, and we when we asked about any damage to our clothes that can't be put through a hot wash, they started suggesting that we had brought the bed bugs in with us. We had been really careful about the motels we stayed at, reading TripAdvisor reviews beforehand, but this was one of the only motels that we stayed at without checking reviews first, due to the price and a lack of WiFi at the time.

Despite the extremely poor service from the staff and cleanliness of the first room, we decided to stay for the last two nights in the new room because it was the very end of our long trip, we had been looking forward to the theme parks for months, and didn't want to waste time finding a new place and miss out on theme park time (we were on a schedule) - although we were extremely tired from being up until almost 1am each night washing everything we own. After washing, we left our stuff in the car.

I would strongly advise against staying here due to the uncaring staff and the complete lack of cleanliness... and of course, the bed bugs (sighting confirmed casually by their employees). We figured by the way they reacted to the bed bugs that it isn't a big deal to them.

Neither myself or my girlfriend had ever experienced bed bugs until staying at the Knights Inn Maingate. Do not stay here.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Dion-NZ

Dear DionG:

Thank you for your comments about your stay in December 2011 at our hotel. I took a a look at your reservation. You stayed for 5 nights at our hotel and complained about an issue with bed bugs on day 3.

According to our records we did not have any complaints regarding your room prior to your check-in to room 415. Upon your complaint we offered you the opportunity to check out, but you opted to remain at the hotel for the next two nights. We quickly got you a new room (404) and provided you with unlimited access to the laundry facilities. At that time, you had no complaints about the hotel or my staff.

Bed bugs can come from various sources according to Wikipedia. Bugs and eggs can be brought in from a visiting person’s clothing, luggage or other infested items. There is also a wide range of bed bug problems in the Orlando area, including the Disney resorts. That said this incident could have occurred anywhere.

I do want to assure you that our hotel is cleaned thoroughly after any complaint of bed bugs – we remove all the furniture and bedding and have an exterminator come in. The total cost to us is more than $600 and thus, we do take such issues very seriously.

After how well my staff took care of you, despite your recollection above, I am dismayed that after 5 months you have decided to post this review.