Cleanliness & room amenities
First of all, let me say that I have an obsessive compulsion against dirty things, mostly stained things, even if it's old and I know that it has been cleaned. Although I felt squeamish at first knowing we'd be staying in a time-share, I was pleasantly surprised.
The kitchen, bathroom and living area was remarkably clean. There were a few things that seemed a bit out of date, but we were shown models of renovations that will be complete in '08 and we were satisfied.
The 1-bedroom Savannah room can get small if you pull out the sleeper couch, but otherwise, things were nice. There was a quaint dining room table, plus all the amenities you would expect, small washer/dryer combo - one unit and it worked! nifty - dishwasher, blender, toaster, coffee maker, full fridge, etc.
Service (including timeshare)
I was really being picky about this...because I knew I would come back and write this in Tripadvisor, but everyone was very friendly. When we asked for towels, they were sent to us promptly. The front desk folks were quick to walk outside to see if we were having problems with the gate.
I used their internet cafe, and the guy who mans it was chatty and directed us to some free stuff in the lobby. The cafe had great 54 mbps reception wirelessly through Linksys, plus a few other computers, a TV and several board games and snacks and fountain drinks. (The guy who runs it loves Cartoon Network!) You can even access the internet on the patio outside the internet cafe after hours.
As expected, we were quickly ushered in after a light breakfast at the sales presentation center. Al was your typical salesman, but was quick to point out the benefits of staying in a timeshare. It did take an hour and a half, but surprisingly, we ended up getting a timeshare. Now my family and I both are EXTREMELY skeptical of these deals, but we were given a great offer and they paid for our trip for buying and encouraged us to stay again for free.
The current condos only have a VCR and two regular TVs, albeit with ample closet space. However on the tour, we were shown brand new facilities, including flat screen TVs and DVD players. There's even a place to rent them.
The pool area is nice and kid-friendly. We were offered discounts at the tiki bar. The nice thing about their pool is that it's open until 1 a.m. in case you come in from a late night of theme parks.
They gave us a couple bottles of sparkling apple cider to celebrate. We ended up spending about 4 hours there to complete the sale. We were also given two tickets to Universal Studios in a separate activity center. There's always music playing in little speakers on the grounds which was a nice touch.
The resort can be difficult to find in that it's along a major strip in Kissimmee. It takes about 15-30 minutes to get to Disney or Universal, depending on traffic. However, the parking garage and the main entrance to Universal is another 20 minute walk, so be prepared for that. The folks in Florida drive insane (sorry, but they do!) so please be warned as you are traveling in and around the resort.
This isn't related to the resort but Georgia and Florida is being besieged currently by these little black bugs that are mating and fly around attached to each other. Thousands upon thousands of them. It was quite disturbing, so be aware of this while traveling.
Overall, we are looking forward to spending more time there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in a secluded hammock of majestic oak trees, Oak Plantation is quiet and comfortable, yet close to everything-a distinct advantage among resorts in the Orlando/Kissimmee area. Walt Disney World® Resort, Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure® Orlando and SeaWorld® are just minutes away. There's so much to see and do in beautiful Central Florida, no matter how many vacations you've spent here you can keep coming back - and never be disappointed. At our Orlando Kissimmee resort, you're right in the middle of all the excitement.Oak Plantation Resort offers children's activities, a playground, a video-game room, a fitness center, and picnic areas furnished with barbecue grills and tables.A Wednesday night "dive-in" movie by the pool with complimentary popcorn is available to all guests. The hotel also provides daily pool activities.The resort provides complimentary scheduled transportation to and from the Walt Disney World® Resort, Universal Studios®, and SeaWorld® theme parks. Power up with a full breakfast buffet everyday from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. for only $7.95 (Adults) and $5.50 (Children ages 4-9). Free Wireless Internet access is available throughout the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Groupon, Expedia, TravelUp, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Oak Plantation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oak Plantation Hotel Kissimmee
- Oak Plantation Kissimmee Florida
- Oak Plantation Villas Resort