“You get what you pay for”

Magnuson Grand at Oak Plantation Resort
Ranked #75 of 155 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed May 5, 2011

All in all it was just as the pictures showed, but the units were old. We also stayed at a hotel on our way home that was much more expensive & just as dated. Could do with new carpet, the dishwasher looked dangerously old- had burn marks in it- so we used the sink., the fridge needed replacement, no kettle, good thing we didn't have to pay for the washe/rdryer use- it took all night to dry clothes, very erratic housekeeping regarding towels & sheets, most of the windows wouldn't open, but on the plus side we were close to everything, the pool was heated & the atmosphere there was nice. I don't know how old it is but it could do with some new owners/cash.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Townie1952
Write a ReviewReviews (1,100)

Reviewed May 1, 2011

Was our second stay there. Loved the peacocks,the lake, the pool area -could use it until 1 am.Our room was spacious, did sleep well in the beds.AC was a bit loud,so we switched it off during the night. Breakfast was not a hit... The gym a joke... But the rest was awesome...Will definately stay again...

2  Thank basti1
Reviewed April 27, 2011

the rooms and bathroom could do with a good cleaning. We paid for maid service and our towels where removed and nothing was replaced. Window ceills where full of dust and bugs, rug had speed bumbs and a lot of dirty spots, the king bed, sheets didn't fit, they turned the queen sheets around to look like they fit, no tea towels and no dish rags, toaster didn't work and when ask to replace it the one we got was no better, three TV's and one remote, safe didn't work and when we asked about this they said that the company had gone out of buisness and I guess they didn't bother trying to get some one else to repair them. verey like will not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank weirdi
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I have never writen comments about vacations before; however i feel compelled to share my experience with all. Our room was so dirty that I did not want to take off my shoes when I was in the room. The pull out bed was discusting, and did not have sheets. We stayed for 5 nights and the room was not cleaned two of those nights. I had to call house cleaning and the front desk several times. After demanding to talk with the general manager on her cell phone, I was offered two free nights. I am waiting to see if that happens when I get the bill. It is little comfort for inconveniece.

It is ashame that the property has been run into the ground. The location and atmosphere are very nice. I I did love the peacocks

3  Thank Powerbroker200k
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We stayed at the Oak Plantation Resort from April 9/11 to April 16/11. I booked the trip through Expedia and this resort was on their list of exceptable hotels so even though there rating was only 2 1/2 stars I figured we would save alittle by not having all the amenities and spend more on activities. After the first night in the morning, there was small blood stain smears on the bed sheet. Not knowing anything about bed bugs we ignored the first sign. Night after night more and more blood smears appeared on the bed sheets and itchy bites around my ankles appeared which at the time I thought was mosquito bites. After arriving back in Canada hundreds yes hundreds of bites appeared all over my body. Went to doctor and he suspected bed bugs. The next day hundreds of bites appeared over my partners body and we went to emergency and was diagnosed with bed bugs. I have been off work all week washing, disinfecting the house and all our clothing and lying in a bath trying to relieve the itching. So isn't that a nice way to end your vacation.

2  Thank BEDBUGLADY
Reviewed April 22, 2011

I read all the reviews before coming and we were hesitent to stay at oak plantation but we were pleasently surprised. We stayed in building 10 which was updated and looks to be newly renovated. However blg 10 is the most remote on the property and it backs up to a forrest like setting, so its nice and secluded and quiet. Buildings 1,4, 15 and 14 are right on the pool, but im not sure what the inside looks like, but i assume they have not been renovated.

The pool, hottub and outdoor tiki bar are great, clean. There are $1 hotdog and $2 ice cream sundaes daily at the pool which is fun. The tennis courts, basketball and activities center are well kept.

Next to blg 2 is the breakfast which is only $3 for kids buffet style and $6 for adults. I was impressed with the property as a whole and the service except for the old guy bartender at the tiki bar. he is an jerk. He should be fired as he taints the overall perception of the facility.

There are some not well maintaned aspects of the complex that can be easily fixed, which show an overall degredation of the facility

No internet except in the pool and internet cafe, but i tethered my bb and got internet no problem, so its wasnt an issue for me

Other posts say its close to disney and other locations, i felt it was too far. 22 min to disney park entrance and its past mile marker 15 on sr192. However there are a lot of gokart, medevil times, shopping, etc close by, but many have gfone out of business with many emtpy store fronts.

Downtown Kissimmee is only 3 miles away and i would suggest renting a boat on lakeshore blvd at the kissimmee boat rentals (www.kissimmeeboatrentals.com/toho.html ). For 2 hrs it was only $100 and there were a bunch of islands to explore. I would skip any fan boats and rather rent a boat to explore the lakes.

Other posts said the planes that fly over from kissimmee airport were an issue, but the noise was not bad since they were small jets. We thought it was neat to show the kids the airplanes landing and taking off.

This is definately a kids friendly place and some of the older couples you could tell had an issue with all the kids. The complex is well protected via gate and we felt very safe the whole time. The peacocks everywhere are fun and very beautiful. Definately very unique to see peacocks walking all over the place with their beautiful feathers.

The workout center is garbage. i wouldnt even call it a fitness center as it has one machine, 2 treadmills, one that was broken. it was extremely hot and small.

All in all we would recommend this place. But if we were to do disney in the future, we would stay on a disney property for ease of accessiblity and naps for the kids.

2  Thank kbwesler
Reviewed April 20, 2011

We stayed at this resort during our visit to Disney World. I had read the reviews and really wish I would have listened. I will never visit here again and I am currently trying to get a reimbursement from my travel company. The furniture and carpets were very filthy. The beds were very hard and the pillows must have been made out of cotton balls. The sleep quality was horrible and if we hadn't been so tired from Disney we wouldn't have been able to sleep the little bit that we did. The pool was always dirty and the hot tub had scum and inch thick that you could rub off, I didn’t visit the pool area again after I wiped my hand on the side of the hot tub. It was very disgusting. The towels are very very hard; they must not use fabric softener at all. The soap they give you is like hotel soap, and a tiny shampoo/conditioner also. If you do stay here you will definitely have to make a trip to Wal-Mart. You won’t have enough wash clothes ever, so we bought more of those also. You are not given any complimentary laundry soap and the dryer doesn’t work worth a damn. I had to dry my clothes for 3 hours to get them dry. The laundry room was filthy beside and behind the washer/dryer. The corners were all full of junk; they don’t take time to clean these rooms well enough at all. The furniture in the living room is so nasty I had to cover it with sheets to sit on it. The sheets don’t fit the beds well. The water has no pressure and it stinks like sewer water too. Overall this place made me feel very nasty. If you value personal hygiene at all DON’T stay at this resort. Also, there is no free Wi-Fi in your room either and that was a big drawback when you have things that you have to take care of while away from home. Sorry I don't know how to upload my photos from my cell phone but I was able to take several disgusting pictures.

1  Thank ajohnson84