“Very Affordable Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Suites Maingate

Clarion Suites Maingate
Ranked #30 of 161 Hotels in Kissimmee
Ontario
“Very Affordable Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel as part of a 10 day flight-hotel package with Westjet. We booked kind of last-minute and paid $660 pp taxes in - which was a very good deal because I found lots of flight-only prices to Orlando to be $500-700 - with no hotel included!

I always read Tripadvisor reviews before booking anything and for the most part our experience here mirrored what I had read from other travellers.

PROS

Front desk staff were very helpful and friendly.
Hotel was older but very clean.
Full-size fridge in room.
Pool and hot tub were both a good size and very clean.
5 min to Disney.
15-20 min to Universal.
Close to hundreds of restaurants - 2min to Walgreens - 5 min to Target.

CONS

Breakfast area really small and busy (exactly what everyone else says)

No Fitness Area

Pool was NOT heated (I would guess it was 72-73F - no way it was 80F+)

Lady who works in the lobby of the hotel at the tourist kiosk (she sold us Universal passes) is a little offside and could be a little crazy!!! LOL I cannot describe it any other way but she was a total weirdo!!! Also, when we went to use the passes she printed out for us at the park, the scanner couldn't read them so we had to go to guest services for new passes which was a bit of a pain. I would have gone back to complain but I didn't want her to murder me and wear my skin as a hat :)

Overall, for what we paid, excellent value. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants an affordable Orlando vacation.

Room Tip: We had a pool view - It was nice
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JonnyF1090

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We were exhausted when we arrived and were told they needed a credit card to check in. We stayed for 13 days and I found out on day 9 when I couldn't use that credit card anymore, that they had billed my card for 7 days accommodation at a higher rate quoted to me. In addition, they had placed a hold on my card for the 13 days accommodation at a higher rate than quoted. I had taken their initial quote with me and when I confronted the staff with this, was told 'computer says'. It was resolved but only because I was adamant. They do no ask you to sign a form with the hotel procedure and charge the card unknowingly. This is a serious breach in trust and it is illegal. The manager who was supposed to be on duty was not there even though the sign said she was available. This experience ruined my stay at the hotel!
The safety certificate for the elevator had expired in Aug 2011. Breakfast was disgusting and we had pb&j toast each morning. The buses are too small to manage the hotels they service and one often ends up standing after a very long day in the parks. We had cockroaches in our room. All in all this hotel was terrible and NOT a disney hotel at all! Will never visit again!

• Stayed August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Dissatisfied30
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Spent 8 days at the hotel from Feb 23-March 3, 2012. Room was utilitarian but clean. Despite the fact that the hotel stay was prepaid, they asked for a credit card for "incidentals". I should not have provided a card as there are really no incidentals except for extra breakfast (only 2 provided) or drinks charged to the room and I preferred to pay cash for these. We were tired from a long flight and waiting until 4PM to check in so I provided the card. Big mistake. After paying for any extras (less than $20) in cash and checking out with a zero bill balance, arrived home to find a $518 charge to my credit card. We are now calling to investigate. Most of the guests seemed to get free stays as part of a time-share seminar. Will not stay at this hotel again.

Naples, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had our family of 14 people, 9 adults and 5 kids.The service was great, the location was great, the pool was great and the nearby restaurants within a very short walk were a huge benefit (Outback, Chicago Pizza and Publix supermarket). The staff could not have been better in accommodating our group especially Veshti at the front desk.
The free breakfast was awesome - a huge savings.

Room Tip: Try to get a poolside room
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We spent one night with family and friends to celebrate my son's 7th birthday. The rooms were great...spacious and clean. Breakfast was very good as we had no problem getting a seat and plenty of food to go around. The staff was accommodating and pleasant. We will definitely stay here again.

3 Thank Brett3371
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Excellent, affordable hotel close to the Disney and Universal parks. I wasn't expecting much with a <$90 per night rate, but was pleasantly by the cleanliness and size of the rooms. We have five people (2 adults, 3 kids - 14, 10 and 5) in a two-bed suite (with fold out couch) and never felt cramped. The fridge and microwave came in handy too. The pool area was clean and decent sized. The breakfast was good and I liked the inclusion of beans and rice in the buffet. Get to breakfast early, because it does get crowded fast. Also, the wooden tables on the patio are very wobbly, so be careful with your cranberry juice! The first night, due to being tired from the day at the parks, we ate at the on-site restaurant "Jumbos." Typically, I avoid hotel cafes, especially with all the choices nearby, but I have to say the food was excellent and our server, Emily, was fast and friendly.

Room Tip: We had an even numbered room (346), facing the parking lot while the odd numbered rooms faced the po...
Raymond, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was my fourth stay at this hotel. The rooms are nice with decent size beds, bathrooms clean, pool good. Within walking distance to a grocery store and a chain restaurant.

Staff: Friendly
Room: better than average for the price and chain

About the breakfast---they used to have a fairly good sized breakfast area. They've replaced a large part of that area with a bar. You do the math...where might their priorities be? Families going to the parks or college students? I guess the bar brings in more money and subsidizes the lower cost of the hotel. But, it was still too bad.
About the transportation to the parks: bring a car. Otherwise you may feel trapped. Their buses run a limited schedule and you won't be able to get back to the hotel during the day if you need to escape the park. (It is a relatively short drive to all the parks).

Full assessment: Nice hotel with a really good price. Use the money you've saved to rent a car.

Room Tip: I've stayed on the second floor multiple times and have never been disappointed.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Comfort Inn Maingate
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#47 of 161 in Kissimmee
4.0 of 5 stars 256 reviews

Been to Clarion Suites Maingate? Share your experiences!