“Not Bad for the Price”

Ranked #24 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
Fort Myers
“Not Bad for the Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed here over Memorial Weekend as the Disney resorts were booked solid. At that time the hotel was under renovation, mainly the lobby area. It is the old style "Holiday Inn" kind of room where you can roll your car right up the door if you are on the first floor, which we were. Our room was freshly renovated with everything appearing brand new. Clean, can comfortable, it was easily worth the very economical price. I've stayed at some Hilton Gardens that were not as clean. It's not far from the parks. Plenty of restaurants, gas, etc... all nearby in this area and most are pretty nice.

No real complaints save one, and it had nothing to do with the room. We ate in their little lobby restaurant for breakfast. Again, it appeared to be essentially new. The issue was they were way understaffed for the number of people in there. It took forever, and the food was mediocre as best for the price. The servers did their best, but their was no way for them to handle the breakfast rush. We should have hit a Denny's or Perkins nearby.

Room Tip: First floor where you can pull your car up to the room is very nice. When you are ready to leave, y...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
twiltsieGM, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Orlando - Kissimmee Maingate, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Thank you for the great review. We sincerely appreciate our guests who take the time to let others know about their stay with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon to see the changes we are making every day as we complete our renovations. Wishing you safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Trinidad and Tobago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel close to shopping malls and all theme parks........ Very helpful and cooperative staff......clean room and comfortable bed..... A microwave would of been a nice addition to the room but all in all a wonderful stay bad after all renovations are completed I'm sure it will be a dynamic establishment

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for the great review. Please keep checking our website for updates as we continue our renovations. Wishing you safe travels.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

I was leary about the hotel because if the price, the pictures, and reviews didn't match. Reviews were great.....prices were unbelievable, pictures seemed fake. All of this was dead wrong. As I entered the lobby was beautiful and extremely modern with stylish decor and furnishing. The restroom in the lobby was immaculate as well. Upon check in I asked....Where's the surprise? The clerk said she was sure I'd be presently impressed. As I entered the room....I was astonished that the decor was a direct image of the pics seen online. I hurried to the restroom to see if it was clean and sanitized and again extremely impressed. This hotel gave me everything it said it would be and more. The price was more than outstanding. I stayed 4 nights and paid roughly $240. Very close to Disney and the staff were all excellent. From the housekeeping staff to the security and especially Kimberly the clerk who checked us in and Felicia who helped us in the end. I have no complaints at all. Very satisfied customer who plans on returning in less than a month. Good job Main Gate

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank ron h
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of your stay with us. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we complete our renovations. We have recently opened our game room. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon to show what else is new. Safe travels.
Allentown, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

We booked the Maingate Resort and Spa for one night 3 weeks ago, before the start of our town home reservations, and that stay was good. I would have left a 4 star rating if I hadn't returned the following week.
I booked this hotel through booking.com for average rates, $59.00+ tax. A little over $67 total. There was no attempt to charge a resort fee. The $100 hold charge on my card checking in turned out to be a $135 charge for some reason, but I was assured since it was only a hold, the whole thing would fall off.. which it did. No complaints there.
The reviews on this hotel were really good and though there was only 18 reviews at the time, I thought I'd take the chance. I thought the hotel would be a better one for the price since there is so much competition in that area. Booking.com made it seem like this was a discounted price for this hotel, but it's seems to be the regular rack rate. Its a bit on the high side for this type of hotel, and after the problems I had, way overpriced.
Coming up to the hotel for my first stay my heart dropped when I saw that this is the old Nikki Bird hotel. The Nikki Bird was not an establishment I would have ever spent a night. The outside of the hotel is much the same as the Nikki Bird was so my fears didn't subside until I walked into the lobby. It was obviously renovated and looked very nice. The staff was wonderful and very friendly.
I was checked in quickly and we were given a room on the top floor of building 300.
Entering the room I was very impressed. It was nicely decorated and very clean. I don't need to upload any pictures because the photos that the hotel posts are accurate. It looks just like the pictures. Another really nice plus was the keurig machine. I read about that in the reviews so I brought my own kcups. We didn't use the pool but I looked at the area and it really had very pretty landscaping. It was a little loud so I was glad we had a front facing room.
We were only there one night, and it went very well.
We originally had plans to stay for 3 nights after our town home stay before we went down to Key West, but my daughter didn't want to stay the 3 nights because she was anxious to get down to the Keys so I changed the reservation for one night... I am SOOO glad I did.
Our next night at the Maingate started much like the first. Wonderful staff, quick check in.
We were give a bottom floor room in building 400 (we requested a bottom floor), but when we entered this room we were greeted by an intense musty smell! My daughter was exhausted and went to rest on the bed while I got the luggage . When I came in she was standing by the bed saying it felt wet. I went and felt the pillows and there was definitely a damp feeling and the sheets felt the same way.
I went to the front desk and the girl there was very nice and apologetic, and she asked, I guess it was the manager, Lori, which room to give me. When told the problem and which room we were in, Lori said to put us "higher or closer" building. She didn't seem too surprised about the problem.
The next building was still on the bottom floor but in the 300s like our first stay. I felt like that was a good choice since the first time the room seemed fine. But, when we entered we smelled the mustiness and again the bed linens felt damp. So back to the front desk. This time the manager Lori said she's meet us at the next room, I don't remember all the numbers anymore, just that we went through 4 more rooms after that, and they all were varying degrees of musty and damp. The lamps in the rooms were new with the renovation, only a couple of months old, and yet had rust on the fabric where the metal ribs touched it. I pointed this out to Lori and she noticed it in the other rooms too.
I said that I didn't think I could stay and I was going to go to another hotel, but we tried one more room, and this room was much better. The smell was hardly there and the beds didn't feel damp, Lori pointed out that the lamp had no rust on it either. So we did stay the night. I am glad it was only one night. If I had kept the original reservations, even though we finally found an acceptable room, I would not have wanted to stay more than one night after going through all that.
Lori gave us coupons for a free classic breakfast in the diner for the morning. It was a nice gesture. She was very nice and apologetic throughout the search for an acceptable room.
The staff was extremely nice. The rooms were decent size and looked good. The beds comfortable. And, the pool area looked very inviting. It's a shame that the rooms are musty. We vacation in Florida every year, and every year we have a first night and in between hotel.. one we use while waiting for our next reservation for a town home or condo, or when we're on to somewhere else. After our first night at the Maingate I thought we found one we could return to next year, but after the second visit I know we won't be back.
The 2 stars are strictly for the wonderful staff. No matter how it looks, damp musty rooms are not acceptable, so the hotel itself gets no stars.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank Anc96
Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your stay with us. I have delayed my response as I wanted to able to tell you we have found the solution for the problem you encountered in the room. As you know we are completing renovations, we did encounter some problems in a couple of our buildings. I am pleased to assure we have found the solution to damp musty smell in the rooms and it has been corrected. I would love to have you return to the hotel as my guest so we can show you the renovated rooms and the other improvements we have made since your last stay. I do hope we will see you again soon.

Travelers are raving about these Kissimmee hotels

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

The staff was very helpful and courteous. Mr. Lorenzo Jones in particular was extremely helpful. I only wish the pools would stay open later. For the price the service and room was excellent along with plenty of amenities.

• Stayed July 2014
Jeff P, Revenue Manager at Red Lion Hotel Orlando - Kissimmee Maingate, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you very much for writing a review of our property. Our management and staff is very pleased that you found value in our facilities as it pertains to pricing and location. I also appreciate you commending one of our staff members personally; we take tremendous pride in exceeding guest expectations. Thank you for your business, and have a great summer!
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

My fiance and I stayed at the Maingate Resort & Spa for two nights during our three-day anniversary Disney trip and had a great experience. As others have said, don't let the outside appearance of the hotel fool you. Definitely a place I wouldn't have looked twice at if passing by but our room was newly renovated (the girl at the front desk said we were probably the first ones to stay in it). It was spacious with a big comfy bed and plenty of pillows, a nice bathroom/shower area, a flat screen tv, a mini fridge and a Keurig. The front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating, we had reserved a room with king bed and sofa bed but they didn't have the sofa bed available so they upgraded our view to the courtyard. Unfortunately we didn't have time to use the pool area but it looked nice.

Above all we really loved how close it is to the Disney property, only about 7-8 minutes drive depending on which park you're going to. It was no trouble at all for us to leave Magic Kingdom, drive back to the hotel to shower/change and head back out to the Animal Kingdom Lodge for our anniversary dinner with plenty of time. Overall very satisfied with our stay for the price we paid and would definitely consider staying again.

Room Tip: Courtyard view was definitely the way to go so we weren't facing the main street or parking lots...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie D
Jeff P, Revenue Manager at Red Lion Hotel Orlando - Kissimmee Maingate, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
I am very happy that our resort was able to play such a postive role in your anniversary trip! My satff and I are very happy that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and found our proximity to Disney convenient. Your business is truly appreciated.....have a great summer!
Corinth, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

My family needed a safe stopover on our way to the Florida Keys. We chose the Maingate Resort for its great value. $59.99 for a double room. When you first enter the property, there is a flashy restaurant that made me a bit wary. However, the lobby was beautiful and the service was great. Note: this is a motel. When we entered our rooms, we were so pleasantly surprised. The room was great! My favorite was the nice, soft, comfy beds. I slept like a baby. Whatever your needs, I would highly recommend a stay at Maingate.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Kristy W
Jeff P, Revenue Manager at Red Lion Hotel Orlando - Kissimmee Maingate, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind words about our property. Our staff is very pleased that you found our hotel both comfortable and a good value for your overnight stop. We truly appreciate your business, and we hope to be your hosts again in the near future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Lake Buena Vista
#39 of 152 in Kissimmee
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,429 reviews
Windsor Palms Resort
#7 of 59 in Kissimmee

Been to Red Lion Hotel Orlando - Kissimmee Maingate? Share your experiences!