“I expected animals.”

The Disney Wilderness Preserve
Ranked #19 of 85 things to do in Kissimmee
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors can take the 3-mile nature trail hike or an off-road buggy tour to learn about the hundreds of wildlife species that are being protected by the Nature Conservancy at this nature preserve.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Visited in Feb. 2014. Restroom facilities; a short 2-3 mile trail down to Lake Russell. At the lake there is hardly any view, but there is one bench and a picnic table in bad shape. On the walk we passed 2 benches in pretty bad shape. You walk by a small pond, you may see a turtle or two. There is a lot of pine trees or just fields. We saw very little birds.A few sand hill cranes on the drive to the hike area. Our count was up to 10 butterflies (swallowtails), but we had no idea what they were eating because nothing was in bloom. The drive in says stay in car, so don't step off the road. This is about 30 min from Disney, but stay at your motel and swim. . That would be time better spent. The only good thing was it was free. This was a waste of time. Really there is so many more birding spots that really have birds.

1  Thank Cynthia W

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I had an extra day after finishing up on a group photo shoot and I decided to spend it at the Wilderness Preserve. I'm from Denver, so I haven't seen much of Florida wilderness. I was not disappointed. While the trail is only about 2.5 miles, I found the scenery to be beautiful, especially the cyprus trees rising out of Lake Russell. I missed the wildlife since I was there during midday, so I'd like to return for an early morning walk, but I still enjoyed every minute. There was no one else on the trail. I loved the solitude after a busy weekend around lots of people. I took time to sit at the picnic table by Russell Lake and just listen and observe the beauty. The trail is level, well marked and very easy to navigate. Don't forget to take water and sunscreen, since half of the trail has limited shade. I will definitely go back and would actually like to visit all the Nature Conservancy sites that lead all the way down the state to the Everglades.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

This is a nice little preserve that is part of the Nature Conservancy. It is NOT a Disney park; rather, a preserve permanently set aside to offset the loss of habitat and wetlands on the WDW property. I find the site quaint and full of wildlife. It is a short drive from the attractions and makes for a nice relaxing morning or evening. You are not coming here to see Mickey or have lots of signs pointing out what animal should be in the line of site that you are viewing. If that is what you expect, then stay on property. If on the other hand, you want to see a variety of birds, snakes and a gator or two, the real Florida awaits.

3  Thank CEWAIT
Reviewed December 9, 2013

The idea is great... however the outcome was bland. 30-40 minute drive from Disney area. I walked into the office and there was a sign in sheet. I saw a person for a second and then by the time I walked around to the other side of the office she was gone. I stood there for 5 minutes or so but no one returned. I was curious about the tour, but saw nothing about it. I figured Id just head out walking alone. I was a bit nervous walking alone and being uncertain of the wildlife, but luckily and unfortunately there was only a few tiny butterflies on the short trail (15-20 minute). I saw more birds on the drive up to the visitors center. So maybe the longer trail has more to see or maybe the tour gets you to other places.. So.. nice and you see undeveloped FL, but not anything extremely thrilling per my eyes.

3  Thank Michelle T
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We read about this place on Florida Hikes! website. It's supposed to be closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. We were really anxious to go here and walk on a cooler day, and explore a new place. We drove and hour and a half from the east coast only to find it closed! Sign stated holiday ( Tday, Christmas and new Year ) closing, then another sign stated that it was closed that day ( no kidding, is that why the gates are closed?!! ) and will reopen Saturday. Florida Hikes! states, in bold red letters, that it's no longer open on weekends. I guess Saturday's not a weekend day? What a wasted trip. Color us extremely disappointed in everyone's lack of communication. Don't they realize that people travel from other areas to go here? Update your websites, keep us informed!! Please?!!

2  Thank taz321