“Tasty and fun hibachi by the Loop”

Mizu Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi
Ranked #137 of 795 Restaurants in Kissimmee
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Monroe, Connecticut
“Tasty and fun hibachi by the Loop”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

After an exciting purchase at Best Buy, I wanted to celebrate with a restaurant outing and I offered all the local possibilities to my girlfriend, and she chose Mizu, which was right next to Best Buy and the new Plato's Closet (across from the loop on the Osceola Parkway side).

My two points of comparison for Japanese fare will be Sushi Katana at Millenia (no hibachi) and Benihana (hibachi) at International.

The restaurant's decor needs some work to make it more appealing and some of the booths need some upholstery done. That first impression coupled with an unexciting non-hibachi menu for people who don't eat seafood (my girlfriend) was making us nervous. My girlfriend would have settled for teriyaki something, which is not exactly her favorite. She was looking forward to some Sushi Katana-style beef strips over brown rice, but we didn't see anything in the menu that looked like it. So, I decided to switch to hibachi dining, show and all, and that was a great decision!

The show was frankly much better than Benihana's (and I've gone multiple times for work-sponsored lunches), with the usual repertoire of hibachi tricks plus a couple of new things. The knife/tools juggling was flawless and the chef was energetic and seemed to have a good time.

I ordered shrimp hibachi and my girlfriend went for chicken hibachi. The portions were very generous and the fried rice was very, very tasty. They also threw some noodles in the mix! There was more food than we could handle, but that's always good for tomorrow's lunch! Unfortunately, we forgot the leftovers, but oh well.

Now, the fried ice cream needs some improvement. Compared to Sushi Katana's, it was sub-par. The balance between the cold and the hot, the frozen and the melting was not achieved. The ice cream inside was very hard, to the point of making the dessert involve more effort than needed. It was also not beautifully presented with the swirls of chocolate or similar chef-inspired flair.

However, all considered, I was glad we went for hibachi and it was a fun and tasty experience. I still prefer Sushi Katana for couples and a more elegant and exotic trip to Japanese cuisine, but for a family or group outing, I will visit Mizu again.

With just a couple more touches (decor, furniture, fried ice cream, friendlier bento boxes for non-seafood lovers), this could be our favorite Japanese restaurant.

If you are by the Loop, and want to rest from all that shopping and get some hibachi, drop by!

• Visited March 2014

Kissimmee, United States
“Overall, it was a great change and choice for me.”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

If I am going to change my mind from my usual bill of fare, I like to go to a place where I have had some recommendations,.especially on freshness and quality. So I went to Mizu, and was pleasantly surprised that their Sat & Sun lunch price was on special. I ordered the Salmon Teriyaki Box and I tried their beverage sampler of 3 sakis.. It was a good sample. Now I know what not to order.. The Teriyaki Box has a separate side of sushi, separate side of rice, and the salmon teriyaki. I really liked the salmon teriyaki. The slices of salmon were thin enough so that they were cooked a little different than a usual order of salmon (kind of crispy) with an underlayer of onions and teriyaki sauce that went well with my rice. The Sushi was ok. I am not a great judge of Sushi but it was fresh. Good lunch.

• Visited February 2014
Kissimmee, Florida
“Horrible place”
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

First of, the place is pretty and they try to make the bet out of the atmosphere. The waiters are nice but the restaurant policy and leaders are a joke. My husband ended up ordering something that he didn't like and when he wanted to return it the waiter said that management will charge the plate to him. My husband requested to speak to a manager and the manager never came out. I will never eat there again and would not recommend it.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank amarie1981
“Great Sushi & Hibachi!!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

I Have Dined Here Many Times In The Past Few Months And It's Always Delicious!! My Favorites For Sushi Are The Mango Roll And The King of The Ocean Roll. The Hibachi Is So Flavorful And A Big Portion.

• Visited September 2013
Quito, Pichincha, Ecuador
“The best sushi I've ever had.”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This place is excellent. Great food, very good service and low price. Try the King of the Ocean roll. Is amazing!

• Visited September 2013