“"Amazing food and vibe. Definitely coming back!”
Review of Portugal Restaurant - CLOSED

Portugal Restaurant
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Loved dining here for the first time! We are from South Florida staying in Kissimmee for Daytona Bike week, we are used to some of the best restaurants in South Beach, and asked the resort concierge to recommend a good restaurant. Cozy restaurant that doesn't rush your meal and you can actual hear your conversation. Food was tasty and portions were generous, Unique dining experience worth putting up with the traffic to get there. We loved it, it was our first time at Portugal Restaurant and for sure not the last, next time in the Kissimmee area we are coming back. The codfish was delicious and the staff were wonderful, service was professional and friendly. For dessert we tasted their home made flan which was so good, I dare say better than the typical spanish flan, their wine selection was great, what a place to have a quiet delicious dinner, "A very nice family place you can go with your kids. Good Job!!!

7  Thank Gilberto S

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I am Portuguese, and that was the worst food I ever had. All the food was drown in paprika and was not well cooked. The service lacked and at times the only employee of the restaurant was outside. As someone who is Portuguese and has grown up eating, drinking, and living here in the U.S., and living a Portuguese culture, I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone.

8  Thank Skinny69
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My wife and I were so excited to have found what looked like a good Portuguese restaurant in the Orlando area. Having just moved to the States from Portugal 3 months ago, we were craving great authentic Portuguese cuisine. It was our 2 year wedding anniversary, so we thought what better way to celebrate than with Portuguese food. The experience started off well. The owner was very friendly and welcoming. I am American, and although I don't speak Portuguese fluently, I do understand quite a bit. My wife is a Portuguese citizen, so being fluent, she led the conversation. We started off with an appetizer of house chouriço which was great. It was also great to have Portuguese wine again.

The experience was downhill from there. We had both been reading about this place for a while, and were excited to finally have Polvo (Octopus) again, the way Portuguese prepare it. We were informed that we could not order it because it was a Tuesday, and they only serve it on the weekend. (I'm sorry our anniversary fell on a Tuesday!) There was no notification online or on the menu that this was a weekend only dish. So instead, my wife ordered the Bacalhau com Natas (Codfish and sourcream), a staple of Portuguese cuisine. I ordered the Bife a Portuguesa (Portuguese style steak). My steak was not bad at all, but nothing special either. It was about on par with the kind of steak you would find at any random corner cafe in Portugal for much, much cheaper. I've certainly had better though, having spent over a 1 1/2 years in Portugal. (both restaurant and home cooked). The steak was certainly passable though, but the potatoes were not. Not only were the potatoes nothing like what you would find on a Portuguese plate (they actually looked like they were from the frozen section of the local grocery store), they were burnt! Not just a little bit, but almost every single one of them were black. Now on to my wife's Bacalhau com Natas. It was an utter disgrace to the beloved Portuguese dish. Bland, boring, and having none of the consistency of Bacalhau com Natas that you would find in Portugal. My wife was born and raised in Portugal, so she has eaten Bacalhau com Natas many, many times throughout the years. She said this was the absolute worst Bacalhau com Natas she has ever had. I have to agree based on my shorter time in Portugal.

The owner came and asked us how everything was. I did not complain about mine at all. It was bearable. However, my wife expressed her disappointment in the Bacalhau com Natas. The owner's response was that it was the way they prepare it in Açores. My wife has an aunt who was born and raised in Açores. We can assure you, this is not how they prepare it in Açores, at least anyone who has a passion for this dish. This was a sloppy, and poor attempt at it. The owner should have offered to bring a different dish, having seen that she had left over half of the dish on her plate. He did not, and we were charged fully for this mess of a plate.

I understand that the owner is very hard pressed being the waiter and the cook at the same time. I appreciate the fact that he works hard. We did not mind the 30+ minute wait at all. He did have some help in the form of a bartender of sorts, however he would hardly speak and was not very helpful. After the 30+ min wait, my wine glass was empty, but he never asked if I would like another. I was going to ask him for another, but he took off so fast with the appetizer plate. Instead, he left me through the entirety of my dinner with no drink. Even a glass of water would have sufficed. It's also worth noting that the place was nearly empty for a majority of the time we were there, so it's not like the bartender was hard-pressed.

It was pretty disappointing to have an anniversary dinner ruined like this. Overpriced, low quality Portuguese food, and spotty service (the owner's service was appreciated, but his helper was useless). If you have spent any time in Portugal at all, you will be very, very disappointed in this place. If you're an American trying Portuguese food for the first time, I can assure you it is NOT like this. Portugal is a beautiful country with some truly amazing food. Hopefully we'll find a Portuguese restaurant somewhere else that will fulfill our craving. It's possible I'd return just for wine and an appetizer, but never again for their dinners.

8  Thank OtterxPT
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Listen. If you have ever been to a Portuguese restaurant before, dont expect this to be anything like it. Name should be Azores because thats where these guys are from. Definitely not a Portuguese restaurant. Very overpriced. Very small portions. Really poor food. Very poor service. Really weird smell inside. Not authentic Portuguese cuisine. The same gravy Is apparently used for every menu item. Greasy. Took 90 minutes after order to receive our food. Owner' s response was this is not fast food restaurant. No waiter or waitress. Owner dressed in jeans and t-shirt acted as the waiter and cook. Owner sat down and ate desert while we were waiting service. Made sure his family who came in half an hour after we were there got their food and ate before we received our food. Very very overpriced. $20 a person with no alcohol for Golden Corral caliber food. No correction - Golden corral would've been an improvement. Not even free refills for the $2.50 sodas. Based on the empty restaurant this place probably will not survive very long don't waste your money. Certainly will not go back. Wouldnt recommend it.

11  Thank Lnmartins
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Rui and Sandra are your gracious hosts at Portugal Restaurant. The food is fresh, authentic, and delicious. If you are in the Orlando area you would be remiss not to stop in and have a delicious meal at Portugal Restaurant!

13  Thank Cat N