“Distinctively different and we loved it!”

and 1 more site!
Universal Resorts Kissimmee
Ranked #59 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed November 19, 2006

We always spend vacations in a hotel room and, when I saw a 3Bedroom/2Bath on the internet for about the same as we would spend for one moderately priced hotel room, I booked it but reluctantly because it seemed to good to be true and we know hhow that goes. Three days before we were scheduled to depart, I got a phone call from the resort and thought to myself, here it comes - it is too good to be true. However, I was pleasantly suprised when they said they were calling to see if we needed directions to find the resort, gave me the gate code and wished us a safe journey.

After 8 hours in the van we were weary when we arrived, so it was very rewarding that they were waiting for us and greeted us with a warm welcome. I must say the villa was huge and the open floorplan was great as the kitchen opens out into the family room. Overall, it has changed the way I will attempt to vacation again because it was so much better for a family than a hotel room. It's a small resort, so the staff were very accommodating and courteous.
Sophia
Fairmont, NC

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank Allen1944
There are newer reviews for Universal Resorts Kissimmee

Reviewed October 10, 2006

I always stay in a budget motel. We are not in the room much, so why pay extra money. When I saw the advertisement for $49.00 a night I flipped. I was paying that for a cheesy closet room. Here I was getting a 1700 square ft house. Can't beat that. I felt it had to be better than a 1 room motel. When I arrived I was very impressed. Service desk was polite. We were escorted to the room. There was a checklist that we had to go over of all suppllies and furnishing that were in the villa. Everything was there. The villa had 3 bedrooms, big kitchen, living room, sky light, so there was plenty of light coming in. Did I mention the master bedroom bathroom. It was to die for. The bathroom had what seemed to be a mini swimming pool and there was also a stall shower. There was also a smaller bathroom between the other 2 bedrooms. There was a 25 inch TV with cable. If you want another TV in the bedroom, request it. There should be no problem getting it. There is a laundry room next to the office. Its opened 24 hours. It has 2 washers and 2 dryers and its totally free, but bring your own detergent. We actually stayed in for 2 days and relaxed. Never did that before. We felt so at home. I wish I had this house back home. I will definitely check this place out again when I return to Florida in the next several months. Hope I can get the same deal again.

Stayed: August 2006
6  Thank sedoe
Reviewed September 13, 2006

Before we could swim in the pool on the first night I had to clean it because of the large number of insects (ants etc.) floating around. We also noticed a couple of ants on the dresser but did not think anything of it (just ants right!). Should have suspected something then. The first morning I woke up to find my 7 month old baby covered in fire ants. She was sucking her thumb trying to comfort herself while ants were crawling all over her face, head, neck and arms. See photos. (I did not include a picture of her face on the internet for obvious reasons). Her eye was swollen shut, & she even had bites on her lips. The week was miserable because once those bites burst they cause an itching/burning feeling (thus the name fire ants). I approached a staff member immediately (visibly upset) & she advised me that this had never happened before, (check out some other reviews). She seemed irritated that she now had to find us another villa. The whole day was wasted repacking & moving to the other villa. We had to shake out all of our clothing & luggage as our suitcases were infested. Just talking to a nurse took a couple of hours. We were advised that we would get that night for free and a tour of the resort (wow), instead my visa shows me that they charged me for 2 extra nights I did not stay (charged to my visa without my signature/authorization). In the second villa they turned off the a/c on us one day - remember it is summer in Florida. We had to get our key cards reactivated several times as they would not work. That was our week - not too fun & now my daughter has pot mark scars on her face and arms. What bothers me the most is that the staff that we dealt with did not seem to really care. Please think twice before attending as I know that even the company that we booked it through no longer deals with this resort due to the large amount of complaints etc. Best of luck!!!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
15  Thank Holland1
Reviewed August 24, 2006

Don't let the negative reviews fool you!! These people just want to complain! Let's get a few facts in line first!! I was there at the same time as the Aug. 18th review and can assure you the pool was not milky cloudy AT ALL! Over a days' use and peope using it, the pool might look a little in need of chlorine (i.e suntan lotion, oil and sweat will do this to a pool). However, this was remedied every day and the pool was very clean and clear.

The units are definitely clean! They wouldn't even allow us to check in until they knew positively that our unit was clean and even then we were able to double check it. Towels are actually folded and fanned, hanging on the wall in decorative style like you might see in an upscale hotel. Very cute!! Not to mention by the second day, they delivered clean fresh towels and we didn't even request it since we were in a unit that did not have a washer & dryer! If you have your own washer & dryer in your unit, expect to wash your own towels. This is not an "all-inclusive" resort, it is however a home away from home. You can cook your own food in your own unit and wash clothes in your own unit if necessary without having to spend a ton of money eating out (which you will do in Orlando, FL even at McDonald's) or washing clothes. If you're looking to have people fall all over you doing things for you stay at the Hilton Hotel and pay $300/night!

As for the "check off" list, yes it is a little lengthy. This is a sheet that you should be filling out upon your arrival & check-in. This is an "accountability" sheet of items located in your unit. You just have to take a few minutes, go through each room and check off the items on the sheet that ARE NOT there. This is for your own security. Each unit should have these items complete and if they are not there, this benefits you so the resort owners know exactly what is not in the unit when you arrived, therefore you are not charged for something when you leave that is missing.

As for the "roaches" a couple reviews refer to...lol...these are not the roaches you are thinking about. These are Florida's notorious "palmetto bugs". These bugs are EVERYWHERE this time of year in FL. You may see one or two of these inside and out of this resort and every other resort in FL no matter how upscale the resort is!

Overall, we were there for 4 days and had an absolutely wonderful time! And met a great woman and her young son that we became friends with! The units are clean, property is quaint and quiet, so much room in each villa it's almost sinful! We had unit 1029 which is a five bedroom. The unit was kept at a constant 75 degrees. During the day it would get a little warm because of the large sky-lights in the upstairs ceiling...at night it was perfect!

My only complaint?? We had 8 of us in the villa (6 of whom were teenagers) and only 1 27"TV. In a 5 bedroom villa. who does this??? LOL!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank lpearce
Reviewed August 17, 2006

Stayed at Universal Resort Kissammee. Our vacation was almost ruined. The web site is very misleading. The townhome units are not clean. My son found old food under the sofa cushions, there were nest of ants in the bathrooms and roaches in the kitchen. Yes, I said roaches. The thought of taking a roach home and infesting our house was enough to make me check out. The paper work upon checking in reads like a contract to surrender your first born. They count everything even the number of forks and spoons, and make you sign for them. The US prison system isn't that strict. We spent one day without air conditioning, our townhouse was 98 degrees. As the sun went down the temperature cool off to 94 degrees. My children were in one room under a ceiling fan. Of course there was no maintenance man available because it was his off day. The swimming pool water was cloudy like milk and had bugs floating in it and there was no jacuzzi avail. Checked out early, went to Laguna Bay Villas and was able salvage the last 3 days of our family vacation. Booked both through Book it(--) who was very helpful in resolving the issues, but by this point I was in tears. PLEASE I BEG YOU, IF YOUR FAMILY VACATION IS IMPORTANT TO YOU DON'T STAY HERE, EVEN IF THE PRICE IS CHEAP.

10  Thank MommaGin
Reviewed July 23, 2006

I agree you get what you pay for and I think we got more than we paid for. If I hadn't read the review from June, I was thinking about changing our reservation because of the review before that. Anyway, everything you are charged for are in the contract that you sign before you get there. If you would have read it, there would have been no surprises. The space we had was great. The staff was very friendly AND very helpful to us and we bugged them alot. They were always courteous to us. All you had to do was ask for the temperature to be adjusted. The only thing I didn't like was that it wasn't a little closer to the theme parks. There were plenty of grocery stores around. There were Walmarts, Targets, Walgreens.....everything you needed. It was in the contract that you were only supplied with a certain amount of towels and toiletriesand that there were stores near by if needed more. There was also laundry facilities there. The couches are a little worn. We didn't mind only one TV there because we were not going to be sitting inside watching TV in Florida on our vacation. Staff, keep up the good work and thanks for making our stay there fun.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank SallyCook
Reviewed July 18, 2006

I'll put in my two cents worth on this resort. We read most of the reviews before we booked and weren't sure about what to expect so we kept our expectations low. We reserved our villa (3 bedroom, 2bath, full kitchen) through Bookit. This was a site I never used before so I was wary but booked anyway because of the price (335 for five days (07/10-07/15) There was about 75$ of charges we didn't know about until after we booked (notified via email), but still an excellent price. The resort sends you an entire checklist within 48 hours of booking and asks that you fax it back within 7 days to reserve your reservation. On the listing they tell you about no maid service, bring extra linens if you want, leave the place clean, etc. Since we were in town to visit Universal Studios and simply looking for a place to lay our head we weren't looking for a five star resort.

We checked in on a Monday so the resort was really quiet until Friday evening when other families checked in. After other folks checked in we realized how thin the walls were. As far as the villa, it was clean and worked well for us. There are three boys in our family with the youngest being 9 and the oldest 13 so it was great having three bedrooms. There was a master, and two smaller bedrooms - one with twin beds, the other with a full size bed. We saved quite a bit of money using the kitchen for breakfast and most of our dinners. The place was probably about 1200 sq ft, smaller than home but more than enough roon for vacation. We also made most of our lunches. (Hint: if going to Universal place your electronics on top and the food and drink on bottom of a bag). As far as linens , we washed clothes and towels on Wednesday and Friday so it wasn't a big deal. We brought our (We camped out for a week earlier this summer so it was a luxury having a washer/dryer)

Most days we left by 8:30/9:00 am and returned around 9:00 pm but on Friday we hung out at the resort. The kids and my wife hung out at the pool and I did some work. There are also tennis/basketball courts at the resort. As far as internet access there is a wireless access point at the main office or you can pay for dailup. I did an upload/download every morning at the main office since it was free. We didn't have too much interaction with the staff. Everyone smiled. Our vacuum roller thingy was busted and we asked for a broom and they delivered it.

There is only one television in the villa but we only have one television at home so that wasn't a big deal. It looks like basic cable - ESPN, CNN, etc, no HBO, Showtime, etc. The master bath had a large tub and a shower stall. The other bath room was a basic bath. Everything was clean enough but not spectacularly clean. A little better than a very clean public bathroom would describe the cleanliness. The air conditioning is set at 75 and locked in a box. For us it was too cold because we keep our home set at 77. If you know what you're doing I guess you could pop the lock and change it. The hotwater is at the lowest setting but if you have a swiss army knife and know how the heater works you can change it. There is a washer/dryer, stove, full size refrigerator, and a counter top microwave. We brought a few kitchen things (large cast iron skillet and a large pot) and we were good to go. There is a Publix right down the street and gas is cheaper on that side of town.

All in all the stay was what I expected. There were no suprises or problems. It was quiet because we were there during the week. It got busy on Friday and you will hear your neighbors. If you're interested in more than basic facilities don't stay here; this is a 2 star resort with just the basics. It was worth the price I paid but definently not more than that. I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank davidbaddison
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Travelodge Kissimmee East
#75 of 154 in Kissimmee
Seasons Florida Resort
#16 of 154 in Kissimmee
Flamingo Waterpark Resort
#69 of 154 in Kissimmee
Florida Center
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort

Been to Universal Resorts Kissimmee? Share your experiences!