Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Orlando-Lake Buena Vista South
GreenLeadersBronze level
Southern Maryland
“Nice location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Great hotel to stay at for all things Disney. Ideal location for anyone not staying on Disney property - about 4 miles from the Magic Kingdom. Like many have said the walls are thin, but it wasn't anything disconcerting. The extended pool hours were a great service after a day "at the parks".

Front desk was very helpful when a member of our party became ill. Gave great directions and information on the nearest hospital. The next morning they were very kind in directing up to a pharmacy.

Room Tip: Hotel sits far enough off the road that there are no traffic noises.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HIELBV, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Orlando-Lake Buena Vista South, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us; we appreciate your business and comments about our hotel and location. We hope your family member is up and running and ready to return to the Orlando area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed here for a week while visiting the parks. PROS:Friendly staff, easy check in, FREE good hot breakfast, FREE ok shuttle service, good pool and hot tub, ok weight room, good room. CONS: Slightly thinner walls however most guests are polite and quiet after 10:30 pm and most guest do not make any noise again until 6 or 7am. There was only one night around 10:30pm when our neighbors were getting loud but one call to the front desk and the noise problem was fixed. I was worried about staying here because of the thin wall reviews but I am a light sleeper and I was able to sleep. The shuttle service is not the greatest but it saved us from paying a taxi about $60 round trip each day from the parks. The breakfast is really good and saved us about $30 each day. I am glad we stayed here and we would stay here again! We really liked the breakfast, pool and hot tub. The staff was very friendly and provided everything we asked for from extra towels, to vacuuming the room after we got sand in it from the beach! Also, Heather at the front desk was really helpful and made us feel at home!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeff C
Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was conned twice within my first 12 hours at the hotel, water was leaking from the ceiling in my room, and the internet is extremely slow -- about as slow as you will ever see in a hotel circa 2013. But back to the scams -- you have to be extremely alert here because the hotel has exclusive arrangements with shady service providers.

Scam 1:
I went to the front desk and asked if they could call a taxi for me. I needed to go to the Radisson, about 3.5 miles away, to rent a car from their in-house rental firm. Here's the sequence:

1. The front desk guy makes the call. I go wait outside. A few minutes later a man approaches me to confirm that I’m the person who needs to go to the Radisson. He directs me to an unmarked car. (He's not the driver -- he appears to be a coordinator of some kind.)

2. I'm confused by the unmarked car, but they knew where I was going so it must be them. I get in the backseat.

3. Nothing happens. I'm sitting in the backseat of the car. The driver is not in the car. He's standing with the coordinator a few yards away. They're just having a casual conversation. I’m not sure what’s going on.

4. Confused, I get out of the car and ask them "Is this a taxi?". They say yes. So I say "Ummm...can we go now?"

5. The driver gets in and we're off.

6. I notice that the meter-like box on the car’s dash is turned off or inoperable -- just a blank display.

7. We get to the Radisson property. The driver goes the wrong way on a one-way street on the property -- where the street was prominently guarded with “Do Not Enter” signs.

8. After wandering around the property for a while, he drops me off at a random point on the property. He says the price is $18. I pay him.

9. After he drives off, I discover that I am not at the entrance of the hotel. I have to walk a long loop around the property, about ⅓ to ½ miles, before coming upon the lobby entrance (it’s a large, sprawling, resort-style property, and all the side entrances were keyed for guests only).

10. When I returned to the HI Express later that afternoon, I told the front desk staff what happened, and focused on these points: I asked them to call me a taxi. I did not get a taxi. Whatever we want to call this service of a random guy in a random car, it was not a taxi -- taxis have meters, taxis are marked as taxis, and taxis take you where you want to go. It also turns out I was also overcharged. You can go online and find out what an Orlando-area taxi would cost for any given trip -- just enter the addresses. A taxi would’ve cost me $13. So I paid 38% MORE for a sketchy, dangerous service that didn’t even get me to my destination.

The front desk staff did nothing. The employee told me that he is required to call that company and only that company -- i.e. they will not grant your request to call a taxi (and they won’t tell you that they’re not calling a taxi.) At the same time, he tried to argue that the hotel is not affiliated with the company -- not affiliated with the company that he just noted they have an exclusive arrangement with... In any case, they did nothing.

Even stranger, they didn’t seem to think that this was a big deal -- that putting their guests in sketchy unmarked cars that will charge them more than a taxi and might sometimes deliver them to their destination is not really a big deal. They didn’t apologize -- it was all just defensive “it’s not our fault” and “we have nothing to do with them (even though we will only call them, because they give us a cut)”. Moreover, they were clearly not even considering the possibility of stopping this practice -- of acting on new knowledge that they were harming their guests, that perhaps they should stop harming their guests.

I brought it up a few more times in the subsequent days -- I was attending a five day management conference at the Dolphin. Nothing happened until the fourth day, when finally they called the fake taxi company and got them to refund my money. The hotel did nothing to compensate me or even apologize. In fact, the vast majority of the time when they said they’d call me back with more info, no one called me back. Strange. Throughout, I was almost scientifically fascinated by the hotel staff’s lack of concern -- I wasn’t complaining about the towels, you know? The hotel’s actions directly caused me to lose money, to be in a car driven the wrong way on one-way streets, and to be delivered to the wrong place. Every time they put their guests in one of these sketchy cars, they’re basically taking $5 or $10 out of their guests’ wallets and lighting it on fire, and that’s best case, assuming everything else goes fine. (If you’re trying to fill in the blanks on the hotel’s inaction and lack of concern, the answer is no, I was never heated, never abusive. That’s not my personality -- I was always calm and measured, perhaps too much so.)

Hotwire kept coming up in conversations. I wonder if the fact that I booked this room through Hotwire instead of my Rewards Club account impacted their behavior? Perhaps they don’t care about guests who book through Hotwire? I have no idea, but it really shouldn’t matter, especially for issues of fraud and endangerment like this.

Once upon a time, I was in Peru to go to Machu Picchu, which caused me to be in Lima for a day. I made a rookie mistake that almost cost me everything. Traveling alone, I flagged a cab off of the street. This is a big no-no in cities like Lima and Mexico City. On the way to the airport, the cab driver broke off the route, entered a desolate industrial area, slowed to a crawl, and suddenly stopped talking. He was going to deliver me to robbers, maybe kidnappers. I could see the point man a block away -- this is what street taxis often do in Lima, which is why it was such a rookie mistake. Fortunately, I convinced him that it was in his best interests to cancel his plan and take me to the airport.

The safe and correct way to get a cab in cities like that is through your hotel, not on the street -- the hotels can be counted on to call legitimate, safe taxi services that won’t deliver you to criminals. The hotels in Lima, Mexico City, etc. are you *safe harbors*, your home away from home. They have your back, they look out for you, because if the hotel doesn’t, really, who will? This HI Express doesn’t think this way at all. This experience was trivial compared to the Lima episode, but it was interesting to see the relationship flipped -- where the hotel is itself complicit in harms to its guests, is facilitating those harms, and seems amazingly content to continue doing so.

(There were other scams. Don’t order a pizza -- the flyers in your rooms are from shady businesses that won’t deliver what you ordered, and won’t fix it. If you ask the front desk to call them on your behalf, after failing to get anywhere on your own, the front desk will say “Sure, we’ll call them, and we’ll call you back in 10 minutes to report.” The front desk will never call you back. There’s more, but I've said enough.)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ArizonaLight
Hello Mr. ArizonaLight,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and the feedback provided in your review. Fortunately, we were able to put you directly in contact with management at the transportation company the very next day and your cab fare was refunded; I’m glad you were satisfied with this action. Safe travels -
Deltona, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were in a rush for breakfast and Ms. Ramdani made sure we had everything that we needed. We offered her a tip and she declined. Her loyalty to her job should be highly noticed, and all should exemplify her work ethics. Had a great time during my stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Adrian I
Thank you for your recent stay with us; we appreciate your comments and are glad you were able to enjoy some of our breakfast items on the go. We hope to serve you again on your next trip to the central Florida area.
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for one night while visiting Orlando. It is located 1 exit east of the Disney exits and is close to all of the restaurants you can imagine. The check in was quick and convenient and the staff was very friendly. The air conditioner did leak water on the floor, but that was a really big deal. The room was fine and we enjoyed our stay. They also have the free breakfast and free parking

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Orlando-Lake Buena Vista South, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Jaysuhn12,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding breakfast and parking.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding our air conditioning. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Noida, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

We moved in with a group of 30 pax, and the entire check-in process was very smooth, thanks to Vincent and all the front desk staff. They went out of their way to ensure that we got the rooms as per our requirements and took very good care of our group while we were there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Raj_Banerjee
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

This hotel was just plain terrible, bad smell, outdated and dirty bathroom, dirty carpet, hard bed and a AC system that made unbearable noises with a awful smell. This location stacks up as one the worst stays in my life. The sad part about it, located just miles from the entrance to Disney World. I will never visit this hotel again, I would have slept in my car if I was traveling alone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank recon1_29
HIELBV, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Orlando-Lake Buena Vista South, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us; I apologize we were not able to meet your expectations and I appreciate your feedback. We will certainly use your comments to strive for excellence moving forward. Please contact me at the hotel level so we are able to discuss you specific issues and resolve your concerns.