“Wasn't bad for one night”

Sunset Palms Hotel Inn & Suites
Ranked #60 of 155 Hotels in Kissimmee
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to stay a little longer at disney so we booked this for our last night. Price was nice, and the hotel was clean. We were able to check in early which was very nice. They have luggage dollies which made my husband very happy. It seemed almost like a maze getting to our room. I sat on the corner of the bed and almost wound up on the floor. I assume one of the legs was broken. The a/c was nice and cold and the mini fridge worked well. The hotel was good for one night. I don't know that I would stay there for any longer.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed 2 nights this past weekend for lacrosse tournament. Hotel was full but didn't feel crowded. Room was small but adequate for 4. Heard very heavy footsteps from the room above, woke me up both mornings. I bring an fan on trips to drown out extra noise, but still heard from above us. Breakfast fine with standard offerings, but only bananas, no other fruit. Staff friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Sunset Palms Hotel Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear Saltycow,

Thank you for the candid review of our hotel. It is nice to know that the breakfast served suited your liking and you found our staff to be friendly. I apologize however for the noise levels that inconvenienced you. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your feedback will greatly help us improve what we can offer.

I sincerely hope that the next time you are in the area, you give our hotel another try.

Regards,

Pam G

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We only needed a one night hotel after visiting Sea World. This hotel is about 15-20 minutes away from Sea World. It was easy to get to after plugging directions into GPS. Upon entering the parking lot, the signage was lacking as to where the front door was. The lobby is open and inviting. We were greeted as Priority Club members and given a goodie bag with one bottle of water and snack bar and area brochure. A first floor room and crib were given as requested. The room is typical of two bedroom queen. The beds and pillows were comfortable. There was a small frig in room which was appreciated. The bathroom is older, but was clean and very adequate for our needs. The air conditioner was dripping water from the wall out about 10 inches or so on the carpet, but it was not a problem, as we avoided that area and put towels down. Because of a sleeping baby, we did not want someone in fixing it at that later hour of evening. We informed desk of the issue in the morning and they promptly had someone ready to check it out.

Our room was connected to another room which was empty until about 2 am. When those guests checked in they were VERY LOUD, but a call to the front desk was promptly given attention to the matter and was not bothersome after that.

The breakfast choices were very tasty, fresh with a huge variety to choose from -- scrambled eggs, sausages, pancakes, rolls, toast, bagel, muffins, cereals, juices, coffee, fresh fruit!! Awesome!! There was plenty of seating room inside as well as right out the door poolside.

The pool temp was very comfortable, as was the hottub.
This was a great hotel and met our needs very comfortably. Would definitely stay there again on a return trip!

1  Thank Spoken09
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My Family really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The room was clean and the staff was very friendly and attentive to any needs we had. We will revisit this location for future family vacations. The variety of breakfast foods was the best.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Just returned from five nights at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Lake Buena Vista East. Chose this property as part of a Jet Blue vacation package. Hotel is very nice looking from the outside. Even the lobby area is nice for a HIE. Was at the front desk checking in, when another guest approached the counter and asked for pizza menus right in the middle of the check in! The desk clerk stopped my check in and searched for about two minutes! I probably wouldn't have minded if it wasn't 9:30 at night! Did finally get our room keys, gathered our luggage and headed up to our room. The room was OK in terms of size. Two queen beds, nice flat screen TV, mini fridge and microwave all included. Room was clean, but the bathroom fixtures need some work. Hinges on the bathroom door were all rusty, and the did not appear to be any bathroom exhaust, so your mirror was fogged up if your shower was even remotely warm.
The AC worked very well in the room, which was a relief after spending all day in the parks.
The beds were not the most comfortable and a little rough on the back. My wife also complained to me about them, and she normally likes a firmer bed. The free breakfast was very good. Pancakes via some kind of machine, (which my kids said were good), eggs, bacon or sausage, biscuits and gravy, cereal, muffins, toast, juice, etc. It was great to be able to have breakfast there before starting our day. Very close to, and easy to find your way to Disney from there as well. There are numerous restaurants, and shopping close by as well.

1  Thank Bill N
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Sunset Palms Hotel Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Bill N,

Thank you very much for providing us with a review about your stay here. We were pleased to see you found our hotel to be a great value while on your family vacation. It was unfortunate to see some of the room conditions were not what you have come to expect from our hotels. We take all of the feedback we receive very seriously as it helps us to see where we have opportunities to work so we can create an unparalleled guest experience.

We hope to have the pleasure of serving you and your family again. If there's anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask a member of our staff.

Adrian D.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

It is getting harder and harder to find a decent hotel in the Kissimmee area these days. Seems like they are just getting more run down and moldy, with dirty carpets, insect infestations, and poorly maintained. The Holiday Inn Express is one of the few chains that seems to be willing to keep up their standards and not take for granted that just because Disney and Universal are the big attractions nearby that people will tolerate nasty hotel rooms. Holiday Inn Express are reasonably priced. The mattresses are comfortable. They don't use those disgusting heavyweight bedspreads that we all know aren't being cleaned between guests. They are consistent in what they offer nationwide, no matter what part of the country you are in. For that I commend them and wish other hotel chains could follow suit. They offer free Internet/WiFi, cable TV with HBO, rooms equipped with mini fridge and a microwave. The rooms are large, nicely decorated, always clean. The bathrooms are nicely maintained and clean. The air conditioners are modern and work. Breakfast was nicely displayed with a decent variety of food choices to suit everyone. The dining area is large so there is plenty of room without feeling crowded. They have a nice outdoor pool as well. Parking is free and the hotel is located close to Disney property but out of some of the heavier traffic areas you find off of International Drive. My only complaint would be the walls are not well insulated, nor are the ceilings. There can be a bit of noise that I imagine would be increased in really busy seasons, but the overall comfort more than makes up for it. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Top floors prevent noise above your head!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank tcquilter
HIELBV, Director of Sales at Sunset Palms Hotel Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dearl tcquilter,
Thank you for the wonderful comments about our hotel during your recent stay with us; we are thrilled you enjoyed the amenities of our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast and hope you were able to enjoy my favorite; the signature cinnamon rolls. We look forward to serving you again on your next trip to the Disney area.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Overall the hotel looking is good. Customer service is good as well. Free Parking, internet and breakfast. The room size is OK, have a mini fridge and microwave. The rooms and the bathroom were always clean. The location is great, especially if you are going to Disney; if you make a right you reach the 192 and if you make a left you will be facing Lake Buena Vista Outlet. ;)
The bad things: The smell in the bathroom was awful, hideous. My husband later realized that the smell comes from the pipes. I told housekeeping and ask for an odor candle or something to “hide” the reek, but they didn’t do anything. Some of the towels were ragged, and I didn’t expect that at any Hotel. The acoustic is nonexistent; the noises of footsteps are very loud. At first I didn’t care until the guest(s) upstairs woke up at 7:00am… it sounded like was doing jumping jax!!! Ask for a room on the top floor, so you will not have that problem.

I got a very good discounted price for this hotel, that’s why I stay there, and if they improve the bad things it can be an excellent hotel. Would I want to stay here again??? I would rather stay in other hotels. I’m not looking for five stars or luxury, but I can’t deal with disgusting smell.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor, you make sure not to wake up because of the noisy footsteps or lugg...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Sunset Palms Hotel Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear IOrtiz,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. It is good to know that you found our rooms to be comfortable and the breakfast served was to your liking. However, please accept my sincerest apologies that the smell in the bathroom facility impacted your stay. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Despite your disappointment, I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Pam G.