“No return”

Vacation Village at Parkway
Ft Lauderdale
“No return”
Reviewed August 18, 2007

What was supposed to be a quick informative session turned out to be 3 hour lecture and we were not treated well when we said no

The B unit controls the temperature so the first night the A side complained.

In the shower there were no skid protection or mats and my husband fell.

The noise was loud and one resident was scriming at 3 AM

On the day we left our vehicle was vandalized and key scratches were down the side and on the back.
Furniture was being moved constantly upstairs.

All and all with all our travel this was not the place for me.

Please read the other negative comments as they pertain to similair things.

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank ems4601

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (610)
  • Finnish first
north carolina
Reviewed August 17, 2007

My husband and I just returned home today from a week long vacation at Vacation Village at Parkway. Upon arriving at Orlando international, my husband and I called vacation village at Parkways and we were told that we would have to call a taxi or get a contracted shuttle to their property because they did not offer one. We ended up having to rent a car last minute which was not cheap. The clerk that checked us in was not overwhelming friendly, I don’t think she really looked at my husband ore I once. At check in we were asked to participate in a 1 ½ hour informational session about owning a time share which would include a monetary compensation of $80 and breakfast. We agreed and we had to leave a $20 dollar deposit to assure that we attended. To get our $20 dollars back and our $80 compensation back we had to attend. My husband and I willingly agreed and took our room keys. We followed the map and proceeded to drive to our building which was Oaks Building 1. My first impression was that the building was gorgeous. Upon entering the building we noticed a strange and lingering fowl oder that resonated through the lobby and elevators. It was so bad that many guests could be heard commenting on it while in the lobby. It was quite difficult for us not to have a bellman’s assistance to our room. Furthermore, there were no more than 2 bell carts for the entire arriving guest to share. Luckily, my husband and I did not really need one. We walked around in circles to find our room because the desk clerk did not tell us how to find our room number or what floor the room was even on; since the first number of the room number does not correspond with floor. That would have been helpful to know! I encountered a friendly gentleman in the housekeeping department who pointed us in the right direction. Upon finally getting to the room, I was presently surprised. The room was clean, spacious and bright. They offered some dish soap, tide, dishes, plenty of towels and several appliances. But, DO NOT expect to find shampoo or conditioner. This was not offered. Our room had a gorgeous view of the pool that was VERY noisy throughout the all hours of the day. THE ROOMS ARE COMPLETELY DEVOID OF ANY INSULATION. WE COULD HERE SOMEONE SNEEZE ABOVE AND BELOW US!!!!! Throughout the day, the pool noise was not a problem but at night it was terrible. Our first night there was a nightmare but we did not complain because we knew that people were trying to have a good time and we figured that it would quiet down soon. We were up till 2 am with people running around, children screaming and people hooting and hollering of the balcony above us. The second night of our stay the same thing happened. However, this time we reported it at 2am in the morning. My husband called the front desk and the clerk was very polite and apologetic and assured us that he would send security to the room. We listened intently knowing that we would here a knock on their door and never did. The noise still continued. I tried to give security some time to get to the room but at 2:15, (15 minutes later) I called and said that my husband called and the noise is still terrible. He apologized again and assured us that he called security and that he would call the room, why is he calling the room if security was on there way? At 2:30, I called once again and the clerk asked me, “Are they directly above you?” Well, if they sent security already they could tell that the noise was directly above us. He assured me that “many other units were complaining and that security would go up there”. I asked to be moved, and he said that he would “send security”. He never responded to my request. He ignored me! Finally, at around 2:40 they went inside and ran around while their children screams and played but it was still quieter than when they were outside on the balcony. But, I still do not think security ever came. Simply, they just tired themselves out!! The bed in our room was terrible with a huge lump in the middle of it. We would have liked to have used the Jacuzzi more than once on our trip but the pool and Jacuzzi were filled with children. The morning that we went to our timeshare breakfast, we showed up at the check in building. By the time we drove to the check in building we were tired from going to bed so early in the morning and being woken up so early at 7am in the mooring by screaming children and music from the poolside. No one told us where it would be held so we assumed the check in building. We were wrong, it was held at a designated place in the nearby plaza. There were muffins, donuts and bagels that were not cut, warm cream cheese that read “keep refrigerated” and no toasters. We had to talk to 4 people before being allowed to go. We were repeatedly asked why we don’t think owning a time share is better than renting a hotel and when I replied with my answer I was reputedly mocked. All of the people involved were friendly until we insisted that we did not want to put down a $28,000 dollar down payment today. Whenever we said we were not interested someone else would come over and state that they wanted to explain and correct any misunderstanding. There was no misunderstandings! I just do not want to hand over $28,000 to someone right here and now!!! I was told it was informational, not that I HAD TO BUY TODAY! If I would have known I would not have done it for any amount of money! Soon everyone became rude, dismissing and obviously agitated. After refusing one person, someone else would come over to us and state that he “had the power to do this” and offered it to us for $20,000 down payment and continued to bring more and more people over to pursued us until after 3 ½ hours my husband said I’m sorry but we are just not interested right now. This last salesman we dealt with became very rude and finally he walked away. While returning back to the breakfast area with our ORIGNAL salesman her was rude, gave us the cold shoulder and repeatedly asked us why we came if we were not interested? As if he didn’t know, we are all offered monetary compensation for the “informational session”. This time share thing is not right for my husband and I who do not have children yet. In the future it will perhaps be a great idea and investment for us, but if we ever choose a timeshare; Vacation Village at Parkway lost us because of how we were treated. We were their guests and we were treated terribly. He brought us back to where the breakfast was served to receive our $20 deposit back and $80 for attending the informational session. We received $100 on a prepaid visa gilt card. It is important to realize that these people that finally agree to buy a timeshare do not have to complete a credit check and those people are the people likely staying at Vacation Village and acting inappropriately at 3am in the morning! Upon returned to our room the same day, I called the desk and asked to be moved to another room. This was around 3pm. The clerk George assured me that we would be moved to a quieter area in a newer building that had more insulation next to the conservation area. He said he would call back in a little bit and let us know our room number. At 5:45 pm I called back and asked the clerk if we were moved. I spoke with a kind lady named Maritsa. She stated that it has been done and gave us our new room number. It would have been nice it they called us back. Maritsa did NOT offer to have someone bring us our key or help us bring our luggage to our new room. We drove to the check in building picked up our key, I looked for Maritsa who seemed unusually friendly compared to most of the staff and she was nowhere to be found. A clerk gave us our new key and did not tell us where the room was located, offer to have someone help us with luggage or even apologize for the inconvenience. I asked if it was in the new building near the conservation area as we were told it would be and he said no. Once again, we were disappointed and the clerk did not even offer to move us or provide any explanation as to why we were told one thing and given another. We finally found our new room in Oaks building 3 and we were much more satisfied. The building did not immediately smell upon entering and the building looked in better shape. Also, this room was facing the parking lot and not the pool which was quieter and contained a washer and dryer, which was not in our first room although it was the same price. The place is not a resort. There are no restaurants, lounges, tennis courts or free wireless internet. There is an internet room that is inconveniently located in the check in building that contains 6 computers filled with children looking at my space. There are time limits on them but the kids just keep logging back on which makes it difficult for people to print boarding passes and check work emails. By the the time the week was over, my husband and I were ready to go home. We did not get any rest during this entire vacation. I read that they had express check out on the first floor of the lobby of EACH building between 7am and 10 am in the morning. As soon as we got to the first floor of our building we saw a huge sign that read. “WILL RETURN SOON.” The timing could not have come at a more appropriate time; it was one more disappointment out of a number of them at Vacation Village at Parkway!!!!!!!! This place is noisy, smelly and NOT A RESORT!!! I do not recommend it. Please, do yourself a favor and do not stay here!!!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank icedancer3
St Clair Shores, MI
Reviewed July 20, 2007

We stayed at Vacation Village at Parkway June 30th - July 11th of 2007. This was our first visit here. We exchanged through RCI so we could visit the Orlando attractions. We own at a sister resort -Vacation Village at Weston in Ft Lauderdale. Where we own there are no theme parks or big attractions near by, so it is quiet. Coming to this resort, we expected it to be more busy and more eventful because of the area and local attractions.

We enjoyed our visit here. We were able to get 5 units with all the time we had banked. (4 A units and 1 B unit). So we had a small family reunion which was nice. In total we had 5 units in building 6 on the 4th floor. Some of our units faced the pool and some units faced the parking lot. We had people in our family who were very young and some who were elderly. Out of everyone in our group, we had no major issues. Whatever concerns or small problems which arose, they were dealt with swiftly and kindly. Everyone in our group of 19, enjoyed their stay.

You must remember when staying here or anywhere in Orlando or Kissimmee...YOU ARE TRAVELING TO A HEAVILY POPULATED VACATION DESTINATION!!! Do not expect to be off in some HIGH CLASS-VIP-REMOTE resort. People of all kinds travel here (and everywhere) This area is one of the top travel destinations in the country! The previous review I think was too harsh. We had a problem with 1 family down the hall who was loud, I called the front desk who then called security. Security then went and talked to the loud family down the hall and the rest of our stay they were quiet and respectful. This place does not allow their guests to put up with exess noice and craziness from other guests. The pool was never crazy or too loud to us and our extended families. There are 4 pool attendants at each pool, out at all times patrolling the people and the property to maintain a sense of cleanliness and order.

This resort I felt was aimed for people of all ages. Because of the area it is in and the theme parks close by--please expect there will be lots of children playing and being kids. They offer many activities throughout the week-some are free and some have a small cost. Trivia games by the pool, Mary Kay makeovers, crafts for kids, free snowcones, hotdog cook outs, water volleyball, pool movies, etc. They have a nature trail which my kids really liked.

The staff was friendly--although not all of them speak good english. Security is always patrolling the grounds and inside the halls of the buildings. I felt safe.

Also during our stay I witnessed employees doing upkeep painting in halls and rooms. Cleaning carpet in halls, polishing floors, joking with guests, cleaning all sorts of things, etc. All staff was friendly to me each time I encountered them.

I dont plan on returning to Orlando anytime soon--but if we do, we would gladly stay here again. Just remember: if you have a problem, talk to the staff. Fill out your comment cards if you think something needs to be attended to or you are unhappy. I was asked numerous times (besides the postings everywhere) if my stay was alright and to fill out my comment card. You also have a repair/issue paper sitting on the counter of your room when you check in for you to fill out if needed.

• Liked — Clean Comfortable Homelike
  • Disliked — Parking lot
8 Thank joshababy614
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 19, 2007

Vacation Village at Parkway was a great place to stay to visit all of the Orlando Theme parks. It was just my husband and me and we stayed in the B side of the suite. It was plenty of room for the two of us. It had everything we needed except a full stove. However the 2-burner hot plate still makes decent meals. If we had a larger family (kids, etc.) we would definitely reserve the A side or likely both A and B. Oh yeah, parking is scarce at night, but we never walked as far as others have suggested. If you are a city or apartment dweller, you likely walk much, much farther to get to your own house! As others have said, you can smell the food if the people next door are cooking, but...so what? There are far worse smells than other people's spaghetti. We enjoyed being able to look down on the pool. The internet and work out rooms were great, even though we had to drive to them. Being able to print for free was fantastic considering we bought all of our park tickets online and needed to print them all out. The pool and hot tub were great. There is security that patrols to the grounds at night. The service was very fast and efficient for such as large place. We had a fantastic time and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2007
8 Thank kanikab
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed July 18, 2007

We stayed for five nights in Building 3 just prior to the 4th of July holiday. Our expectations were mixed based on other Tripadvisor reviews, but as we couldn't pass an offer from a colleague for their time share, for our trip to Disney, we looked forward to the stay.

Let me first say the location is excellent. Any reviewer debating this must be in Orlando for a far-off reason. Disney is moments away (no driving through dozens of lights), right off the tollway from the airport, and within driving distance of dozens of restaurants or International Drive. The convenience is helpful because you can return to your condo during a day at the parks, relax and refresh and go back out without much of a commute. We would leave our A/C cranked at 65 so when we returned (10 minutes from Epcot's gates) we could relax and cool off. There is a Publix just down the road to stock up on provisions and plenty of restaurants along the road outside the complex.

The grounds of the facility were well maintained, and there were constantly maintenance crews watering or removing trash. The building appears a bit dated, and unfortunately the interiors need some updating (dated carpet and lighting). I would agree that if you want a peaceful night, avoid a room overlooking the pool. Insulation is ok, but not good for light sleepers. We never used the pool or playground, so no comment there.

The rooms themselves are well appointed for the price, and the layout (with an A and B suite behind a main door) is perfect for couples or a family. My wife and I had the 'B' side, and my folks the 'A'. We could share amenities, borrow food, and come and go in privacy without needing to 'get dressed'. This was a real nice design thought. The furniture and fixtures are getting dated, but it was what we expected from the pictures. The bed was soft and the linens were cheap, but again, nothing we did not expect. For the price, the space was perfect.

Now the few disappointments:

We returned home several nights really late (after 1am). On two occasions there were teenagers roaming the parking lot. They likely were residents/patrons just out doing kid stuff, but they always looked suspicious. One night a pair was just sitting on the curb eying the cars entering the lot as if they were up to no good. There was laughing and talking in the parking lot well into the early morning. We saw security cars during the day, but never at night.

The complex has no internet access. For a family, this is probably not something they can live without. But this is difficult in today's age to comprehend. We knew this in advance (from the reviews) but still found it odd that in 2007 this complex had not provided at least wired access to the rooms. Do not even try the business center adjacent to the main building. There were kids and kids and kids surfing the net and playing on their Myspace accounts at every time we tried. There is a supposed limit of 15 minutes per session, but there were always people waiting. This is inconvenient for those of us wanting to print boarding passes or check flights.

Overall, for a trip to Disney Vacation Village cannot be beat. The A-B setup is nice for families and the location is prime. A good update is needed to keep with the times, but there were few traces of deprecation like some reviewers posted. It's hit or miss but worth the price. Do not stay on Disney property!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of business services/ Internet
3 Thank W0rldTrvlr
Lancashire
Reviewed July 17, 2007

As well seasoned travellers to Florida, we know what to expect of the standard of accomodation in the Sunshine State. This was our twelfth trip to Florida and our first stay at Vacation Village at Parkway. I would definitely describe the accomodation as above average. We were not disappointed in the accomodation but at the same time, we have over the past three years, had exceptional timeshare accomodation in other developments through the RCI scheme, namely the Hilton Grand Vacation Club last year. I didn't find the accomodation at Vacation Village exceptional. But it was certainly better than your average Holiday Inn/Hilton/Howard Johnson hotel. And it IS exceptional value for money.

My parents and I stayed in the A and B units together as, despite there only being three of us, we like having the luxury of space whilst vacationing. So for us there was plenty of space. However, I am well aware that most parties travelling together are bigger than this. God willing, in a few years time I hope to use our RCI exchange for a Disney Florida Vacation with my parents and (if my Mum who is desperate to be a Granny has her dreams come true!) my (so far invisible) husband and children all together. I think that the accomodation, particularly in the B-Unit would become VERY cramped in that case. The B-Unit is only suitable for two people. Even adding a young baby (under 8 months) into that equation would make it very cramped! The A side would be fine for a couple (in the master bedroom) and two children (probably pre-teen) on the sofa bed.

The furnishings and fittings were pleasant but I thought some of the carpetings (particularly in the hallways) were on the way to becoming unhygenic. Cooking smells lingered in the hallway which could either be off putting or make you wish you were joining the people next door for dinner! The shared A and B unit hallways don't seem like a good idea for guests who don't know each other. Not very private. All utensils were provided but there was no food/condiments at all when we arrived. I say this because in the past, we have stayed at a villa where we were greeted with a basket of bread rolls, fruit and jams and at the new accomodation at Orange Lake we arrived to coffee sachets, microwavable popcorn and the like, if I recall correctly!
So just in case you were expecting food - there isn't any. The nearest supermarket is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. Don't shop there unless you are rich or desperate! After a nine hour flight from the UK and a trip that started 15 - 20 hours before - we were desperate! In retrospect, we would have stopped at the nearest Publix or Walmart to stock up on food supplies on the way but we were knackered!

Instead, we got into our accomodation for the week and Mum and I did just exactly what we needed to - we sent Dad out for the essential food supplies and each had a long soak in the AMAZING jacuzzi bath. Just what is needed to sooth those aching muscles after a long journey! They get five stars for the bath! I loved it and hope one day I'll be able to buy one! We have very stressful lives back home and we so glad to be away somewhere peaceful and having the time to soak in the bath. I found it kind of wierd that it was in the bedroom though. There wasn't much privacy really, because if the people in your party from the B-Unit wanted to have a jacuzzi bath they would have to be in the A-Units master bedroom. I also loved the comfy, huge bed and the walk in shower. Buy extra toilet paper though, they are a little stingey!
Anyway, it was fairly peaceful at night. We were at the far end of the building away from the lifts and I can't remember being kept awake by noise at night. And I'm a light sleeper! The flood lights on the pool didn't particularly bother me but then, they weren't shing in our window! During the day,because we have health problems we came back for a siesta a few times or stayed in the apartment for the day and it was nearly impossible to have a nap. I imagine this would be a problem for babies or toddlers who need an afternoon rest. There were a lot of noisy kids in the pool and the people running the activities were speaking into what seemed like a megaphone and playing loud music. Noisy kids are to be expected whilst on vacation in Florida though! We never had time to use the pool area during our week's stay but it seemed pleasant enough but not spectacular in design. We also didn't feel comfortable using the pool because there were so many noisy hyper kids splashing around and really we just wanted a peaceful time and it was super busy from when it opened to when it closed. We didn't take part in any of the activities either but some of the costs of them seemed a bit expensive. Particularly the shuttle transfers to local attractions and the excursions out of Orlando. The kids appeared to be having fun though!

The reception is far away from the condos so you don't really feel part of things in a way. There isn't much going on in reception. There are also no shops, cafe's or bars on site. Not even a pool side bar. I would say there isn't much of a buzz or ambience about the complex. Everyone seems to just be expected to keep themselves to themselves. The only time you will see a member of staff apart from the cleaners and maintainence people is when the people trying to get you to buy a timeshare sit outside the elevator, which could be a little intimidating if you are trying to avoid them! We didn't get pressured to buy a timeshare as we ignored all letters, flyers and phonecalls and politely told the lady outside the elevator on our first day that we wouldn't be buying. Parking can be a problem depending on the time of the day you get back. The later you come back, the more difficulty. The condo could have been cleaner. It wasn't squeaky clean and sparkling and it felt pretty dusty. I am very fussy when it comes to cleanliness but even taking that into account I would say our apartment was a little on the dirty side.
One thing that concerned me a little was that the balconies were not enclosed by a fly screen. They were open and in some of the apartments the railings do not go very high. An over-adventurous toddler could easly fall over if left unsupervised for even a second. I saw a little girl of about two/three years old poking her leg through the bars and it looked like she could have got all the way through. And the porch doors aren't alarmed, so even if they are shut a child could open it if you were in the shower or cooking. Watch your little ones like a hawk!

The location is FANTASTIC for Disney, giving you more time at the parks and a shorter trip home for sleepyheads at night! My Dad kept getting lost on the way back though, but maybe that was just him! I would say if you want to venture outside Disney though - you DEFINITELY need a car. There's not much that decent going on in that area of Kissimmee within walking distance. If you want to visit the Malls, Universal or Seaworld you really would find it beneficial to hire a car. I would recommend getting out of the complex as much as possible during the day, given the lack of atmosphere at Vacation Village and also because Florida has so much to offer, you don't want to miss out. Its a fantastic location for Arabian Nights which is literally next door. We didn't see it this time but have three times in the past so I definitely recommend it.

All in all, we had a GREAT time! One of the best yet. Although, it wouldn't be my first choice I would certainly stay there again if my other RCI choices were full. We got this vacation as an RCI Last Call so we didn't lose any of our points meaning we can take another trip later this year if we have time/money. Definitely look into this if you are with RCI as it was a pretty good standard of accomodation for a Last Call. Its worth finding out what is available on Last Call and saving your points for a longer trip or a special occasion. We were told Vacation Village at Parkway was on a par with HGVC LBV. It wasn't quite as nice. But relative luxury compared to some of the places we stayed on our early trips to Florida! My parents liked it a bit more than me but I am a bit of a pampered princess! Anyway, my parents and I would stay there quite happily again. If you decide to stay there - hope you have as good a time as we did!

Aquarian_Dreamer

• Liked — The jacuzzi bath (!) and location to Disney
  • Disliked — Lack of atmosphere and could have been cleaner
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Aquarian_Dreamer
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 15, 2007

We stayed at Vacation Village last summer (2006) and loved the entire experience. We found a deal again this year (2007) and gladly booked it.

Check in was fine and the staff was friendly. We were booked in to a "b" side with one bedroom and a pull out sofa bed. Last year we couldn't find fault but this year we were shocked by the amount of wear and tear in just 11 months. There was rust on the refridgerator and some large scratches and dents on the microwave, chipped tile, scratches on the bathtub, mold around the air conditioner vents, the sink hose was broken, the balcony was really dirty and the toilet ran constantly .

Originally we had elected not to take the 90 minute sales tour...but at the last minute decided to have a look and listen. We were treated to a very nice breakfast at Columbia in Celebration. Our host was friendly and not too pushy. After touring the old and new units we were taken in to a room and given the "pitch." We told our rep we weren't interested and she passed us off to her manager. He brought a "new deal' to the table. His offer was for about $10,000 cheaper than the first deal. We told him we weren't interested and he abrupty stood up and said he would have his manager come and check us out...we waited quite a long time and the third salesperson finally came to our table. This time her offer was for an older unit at about $7000.00, which was now $25,000 cheaper than the original offer made almost an hour ago by now. We told her we still weren't interested and she became pretty rude. She stood up and told us if we weren't interested in that "incredible" offer than there was "nothing" she could do for us.

So after 3 hours our "90 minute" tour was finally over. We were dropped off at the entrance and actually pretty much shoved out the car door.

During the week we observed many things about Vacation Village that have convinced us not to return again. At the sales tour we found out that Vacation Village doesn't do a credit check for a $32,000 time share. Anyone and everyone can purchase this time share with little more than a handshake. Last summer clientele was much more affluent....this year it was a VERY different atmosphere.

Vacation Village's "We tote the note" has turned a once nice quiet resort in to a huge mess. There were families of 10 or more sharing 4 person units. Many times we counted so many people on a single balcony that we were concerned for their safety. At one time we counted 15 people on one balcony screaming down to several more kids in the pool. There were unsupervised children sent down to watch younger children who were running around all day and night....kids were playing ball and jumping in the hot tubs. It was chaos all the time around the pool. We have 2 children and have no problems with families and children....but this was a mess. These kids were running wild and there was noone around to tell them to stop. We're not just talking about one family...we're talking about a large percentage of the guests.

The facilities are still clean and pleasant. The staff was very friendly and pleasant as well. But it's very clear that Vacation Village has elected to sell to a certain segment of society who will turn a once beautiful resort into a slum. Very sad. We'll never return.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The clientele.
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Quality Suites The Royale Parc Suites
#25 of 152 in Kissimmee
Parkway International Resort
Parkway International Resort
#11 of 152 in Kissimmee

Been to Vacation Village at Parkway? Share your experiences!