“Better than I expected”

Vacation Village at Parkway
Chicago, IL
“Better than I expected”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I will say first that I read all the negative reviews after I booked this resort. I expected the worst and was actually prepared to leave early if it turned out as bad as the reviews suggested.

That being said, I arrived at 7pm. No line for check in.
Originally I was going to get building 14, but I explained my husband was dealing with a medical issue and I was upgraded to building 16, into a C unit 2nd floor.

I was not hassled to attend a timeshare presentation as I am sure looked quite tired (driving 12 hours) and mentioned I was there for medical reasons. They gave me my parking pass, no further questions. Although, I could hear the family a few reps down being given the full timeshare treatment.

This C - Unit was very nice. Bed was comfortable. Everything worked, nice balcony.
I always place a sheet over the sofa just to be more comfortable realizing furniture is always cleaned.

It is a complex of buildings. no different than living in an apartment complex. Yes, you will smell other peoples cooking. Yes, the walls are paper thin. We heard all the noise from the pool and you can hear furniture being moved from the unit above. We expected it, and ignored it.

The staff were all very professional and pleasant. They opened doors for me if they were in close proximity, said good morning/ good night, gave us directions to get out of the complex.
Housekeeping was very polite and friendly when they came midweek. Reminded us to dial zero if we needed anything else for our stay. I did have to call for batteries for the remote control. Maintenance came within the hour.

One suggestion for improvement would be better directions to the complex and better signs within the complex. Its difficult to figure out where the exit is.

The pool was warm in the beginning of the week. Cold at the end of the week.
Jacuzzi bleached out my swimsuit. I would not recommend wearing an expensive suit there.

Attended Bingo, that was ok. 45 minutes.

Grounds are well maintained. Ample parking.
Great location. Close to all of the major Disney attractions.
Publix nearby for grocery shopping. There is a Costco in Orlando, go there if you want to buy things for the week.

Overall, better than expected.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ziggy1Chicago
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Parkway, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We’re happy to know that you were pleasantly surprised by our resort and services while on vacation. Unfortunately no one resort can be everything to everyone, but we do try to make all of our guests happy at Vacation Village at Parkway. Most of the time we’re quite successful and our guests return to vacation with us again and again. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and we hope to welcome you back to Orlando in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
  • Finnish first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We have a family of 4 and stayed here for the first time during a Disney World trip. I was pleasantly surprised with the beautiful accomodations and updated rooms with balconies. We had an A & C unit in Bldg 17 and it was very quiet with a nice view of the fountain and conservation area. The pools looked nice, but unfortunately it was too cold outside to swim. You can't get much closer to Disney, so the location is wonderful!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Danielle H
Thank you for the glowing recommendation of Vacation Village at Parkway. It is our goal to provide a great vacation at a great value and we’re happy to hear that we have succeeded in making your family’s visit a memorable one. We look forward to sharing our hospitality with you the next time your travels bring you to Orlando.
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Love this app the stay was awesome and the ppl were great and the food was awesome could of stayed 2 more weeks lol I recommend anybody using this app and rare it a 5 out of 5 gonna try the restaurant app and hotels hard to find restaurants in my area using the app lol it feels like I'm writing an essay for high school back in the 80slol

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of Vacation Village at Parkway. Naturally we feel we are offer the best value in the Orlando area but it is always a pleasure to hear from guests who appreciate our accommodations as much as we do. Thank you again for taking the time to post and we look forward to sharing our hospitality with you again.
Laconia, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed January 5, 2014

we booked a king bed got a queen , we were given Arabian knights tickets and when reserving our dinner found out it was booked till the end of the year, the hotel smelled like food the whole time we were there I had to put a towel under our door to try and keep the smell out ...horrible ..even walking down the hallways all you smelled was people cooking food ,, gross, gross , gross ..the location was awesome .. couldn't be easier to get to all the fun stuff .. but I would never use my RCI points to stay at this place again, total waste .should have done a little more research ,, wont happen again .. the one good thing about it is my wife and I spent Christmas at Disney world .. : ^ )

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Timothy T
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we’re sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. Units are normally reserved by size, not by bedding. From your review it sounds like your reservations were for our smaller B suite, which has a queen bed. A & C suites feature king beds. Our accommodations offer dining rooms and fully appointed kitchens and often guests choose to cook all of their meals in their rooms. The resort is modeled like an upscale condominium building and sometimes cooking odors of neighbors will waft through the building. We’re thankful that you appreciated our location and we hope you will reconsider and stay with us again on your next Disney vacation.
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I used Vacation in Dec 2012 and was happy to visit this past December. We stayed in a 1 bedroom with full kitchen in building 15 and again the place was of exceptional standard. It is close to Disney, shopping and restaurants. Old Town is near and has a little Sushi which we have visited 4 times in the last two visits to Orlando. I am pleased with Vacation Village on this my second visit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your recommendation on tripadvisor. There is no better compliment we can receive than knowing that our guests return to stay with us again and again. We’re so happy that you enjoyed your accommodations at Vacation Village at Parkway and we look forward to sharing our hospitality with you again on your next visit.
Galax, Virginia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The good - 1. Having stayed in time shares that have the same floor plan I wasn't surprised by the B side. Considering how late we made the reservations we were fine with the room. My daughter said the pull out bed was more comfortable than a lot that she had slept on.
2. Location is great for Disney. If you can't stay on property this is great. About 5-7 minutes maximum to any park and an easy drive.
3. Pools were nice.
4. Clean
5. Check in easy. Check in staff friendly and efficient.

The Bad
1. I am an RCI owner and have taken most of the tours BUT I am on vacation and it is my choice whether or not I want to tour. The lady who presented the tour request acted like we had done something terribly wrong when we declined to come the the breakfast/lunch which is code for tour and sales pitch. I understand this is how things work in the timeshare industry BUT I have already paid for this vacation and I choose not to tour. It would be a waste of time and money to take us on a tour because we aren't buying. Learn to take "no" gracefully.
2. There needs to be a solution for the RV parking. I resent hunting a parking spot when someone is taking up 4-5 spots in the lot with an RV. There were two there so that took up 8 would be available spots.

The OK
1. Since I didn't take advantage of many amenities I would like to say there were many amenities and activities offered.

4 Thank mountainmama084
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Parkway, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We’re happy that overall you enjoyed your stay, but please accept our apologies if our marketing team detracted from your vacation experience. Many of our guests attend the presentation and see the value in timeshare and often leave as members of our family of owners. The resort doesn’t have a designated parking area for RVs but we try to keep them near the front of the resort along the fence. Please note that the resort has a covered parking garage available. Guests can pick up the resort’s shuttle to transport them to and from their building and the parking garage. Thank you again for sharing and we hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Orlando in the future.
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed during Christmas week. Internet is the worst. I called to see if can be fixed. It Only got worse. So just expect to be without the internet for your whole stay. Staff are friendly. We stayed in building 9. Everything was outdated. They still have the old TV's you can find for 10 dollars on craigslist. Our room smelled so bad we left with our cloths soaked with the room odor. I have to rewash all my daughter cloths to get the smell out. we stayed here for a week. The smelled is so strong we bought air fresheners, still didn't help. We didn't stay indoor much so we didn't bother to switch room. The activity center is small and need to be updated. too small for the large unit.
PROS: it is close to everything.

2 Thank Eki F
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we regret that we didn’t meet all your expectations. We’re sorry about thew issues you had with your room. We wish you would had advised us of the smell so that we may have had an opportunity to correct the problem while you were still there. We hope you give us another chance in the future to exceed your expectations and stay with us again the next time you visit Orlando.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Quality Suites The Royale Parc Suites
#26 of 152 in Kissimmee
Parkway International Resort
Parkway International Resort
#10 of 152 in Kissimmee

Been to Vacation Village at Parkway? Share your experiences!