“Great resort- terrible management team though!”

Vacation Village at Parkway
Toronto, Canada
“Great resort- terrible management team though!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The resort facilities and staff were fantastic. We had an absolute terrible introduction to this resort though!

We arrived for the 4pm check in time and though there were only 3-4 people in front of us in line, we waited 30 minutes while checking in. After finally receiving our keys we proceeded to our room only to discover that the key didn't work.

There was no way to contact the main building. Fortunately, a staff person nearby was able to radio over and have someone let us in. Though they said they were coming right away, it took three calls and 30 minutes before we were finally let into our room! During this time, since there was no seating nearby, we were forced to sit on the floor in the hallway!

We went into our room and tried to connect to the hotel wifi only to discover that it would connect briefly and then the signal would drop. After 30 minutes on the phone with IT, my husband was able to secure a signal but the rest of us weren't.

The next morning, we took the shuttle over to the Disney parks and you guessed it, the shuttle was 30 minutes late!

In the elevator of our building was the contact information for the building manager. Since there was no other contact information for management, I left a voice message for the building manager. He was away for a couple of days but returned my phone call right away. He was sympathetic to our greeting and apologized. |He insisted that the manager would call us to try to make this right.

He followed up with us the next day to ensure the manager had called. She hadn't. I let him know this and he followed up with her... again, the manager did not call us but after 20 minutes, had another staff call. The staff provided no customer service and insisted she had read my complaint, but obviously hadn't.

Upon check-out, the manager who should have called me, was working the check out counter. She knew who I was, had the opportunity to address my concerns with me, yet chose not to! It's a shame that such a terrible manager. She's lucky that the rest of the staff were excellent.

Would I stay here again? Nope. Would I recommend it to others? As long as you don't need management for anything it would be fine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Nancy B
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Parkway, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
We’re thrilled that you enjoyed the resort facilities, but are so sorry for the experience you had with our management team. We understand that customer service is key to being successful in the travel industry and we clearly dropped the ball. Your comments have been forwarded to the resort’s General Manager so that he may coach and counsel his staff. Guest reviews such as yours are vital in helping us in making Vacation Village at Parkway Resort the perfect Orlando vacation destination. We appreciate your constructive feedback and we hope that we may welcome you to our resort again and have the opportunity to exceed all of your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (610)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Had a superb holiday and the hotel was superb

Stayed in building 19 with fireworks view .. This will also give you a freeway view so expect the noise at night however after 2 nights I was used to it however if your s light sleeper don't go in this building ... Great living space with kitchen with everything we needed pot and pan and cooker wise ... Microwave and huge fridge / freezer .... 2 flat screen TVs jacuzzi .. Was very impressed ... cleaned through twice a week ... Hotel is great location with all parks close by ... Forget the supermarket on site .. It's too expensive .. Go Walmart about 5/6 mile away .. Super cheap ..... Plenty of pools to choose from and all kept in great condition of what I saw ..... Ignore the critics about the timeshare presentation unless u have a programme already than I can understand there gripe however ours was 3 hours long ... We got a superb free meal out .. We could pick the restaurant in celebration ... If you prepare to say no then your fine .. They will knock it down 3/4 times and even then when u finish and do your questionnaire he will even give u a better deal so if u do go for it play it out till the end .. They ask for 20 dollars deposit but this is ok because you either get a choice of a free gift .. 2 Arabian nights tickets worth 120/130 which we passed on or a pre paid debit card with 100 dollars on which is your 20 back and 80 dollars free to blow on what you want .... So for sake of 3 hours or so have a free meal and get some spendo

Would defo recommend this hotel .... Would stop again here no problems

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Humph6789
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Parkway, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you, we’re always happy to receive positive comments from our guest's because we do everything possible to insure that they have a great stay with us at Vacation Village at Parkway Resort. We’re thrilled that you enjoyed the service we provided and we look forward to sharing our hospitality with you again the next time you’re in Orlando.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Despite of having a Angry Janitor knocking on my door at the end of my stay (Sunday, 30thSept, 2012 at 10:00h, Room 19704C) saying we had to leave asap (she did not know we had extended our stay in one more day) this incident will not degrade the hotel in general...... I stayed in a double room but only one would have been more than enough for a family of two small children. In the living room which was completely separated from the bedroom, my kids slept in the couch that turns in a bed for a couple. In the bedroom we had a Jacuzzi. Bathroom was accessed from both sides (bedroom and living room). The full kitchen was awesome since we could cook basic food for the kids. Food in the Parks was horrible, my kids got poisoned by a hot-dog taken in Blizzard Beach which cost me 950,00 USD in the Flórida Hospital and on our arrival in Brazil we went straight to hospital having the other kid for three days in hospital. Luckily all expenses was covered by insurance.
We booked through RCI and the process was very simple. The fee was 350,00 USD/week plus 25,00 USD for Wireless Internet and some extra resort activities included (we didn't have time for those extras). We felt like a mix of renting an apartment and a hotel because the entrance of the building you stay doesn't have a Lobby which is located separated from the blocks and the housekeeping is scheduled twice a week. I would reccommend this hotel for families and would probably come back with my parents as well.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Fabio303506
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Parkway, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your recommendation! We’re sorry for the issues you had with our staff member and have notified the resort’s management team so that it may be addressed. Thankfully your family enjoyed your spacious accommodations and all the comforts of home that they provided. We hope the unfortunate incident you experienced in the Parks won't deter you from visiting Orlando in the future so that we may have a chance to welcome you back to Vacation Village at Parkway Resort again.
Taylorsville, North Carolina
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was the third time we have stayed at this resort. This being two weeks was our longest stay at any resort. A conference call with RCI and the resort cleared up a scheduling problem very quickly before we even left home. Our request for A-C units for both weeks and to be placed on the top floor on the I-4 side of bldg 18/19 was agreed to. While a little noisy from the traffic, it was great to be able to sit on the balcony and watch the fireworks at EPCOT and Magic Kingdom.

My visit to the Guest Services desk for the parking pass went very quickly. The staff were very friendly even when I did not agree to a resort timeshare tour.

This resort is very clean, well maintained and everyone is very friendly. The location is very important to us since we wanted to get to the Disney parks early every day. I-4 is only a short jump away which puts the other parks and Downtown Disney only a few minutes away.

The resort has a lot of activities and convenient pools which we did not use because our primary destination was Disney. Having a full kitchen, laundry and Jacquizi tub in the room was very convenient and well used during our stay.

We highly recommend this resort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Bldg 18/19 upper floors and rooms with odd numbers will allow viewing of Disney fireworks. They wil...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 7JudyB11
Thank you for the wonderful review! There is no better compliment we can receive than knowing that our guests entrust us with their family vacations again and again. We are truly blessed with a staff that works hard to provide great service as well as great resort amenities and location at affordable prices. We’re happy that you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to your next visit to Orlando!
Mazatlan, Mexico
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed there last August and it was great, first of all because it is close to mostly everything (by car) and also the suites are very spacious, have a fully equipped kitchen, washer & dryer and a huge bathroom, we got the suite with the jacuzzi in the room.. it was great!
I would definitely consider it for our next stay in Orlando. It's a great option.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mgamam
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Parkway, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
First impressions are lasting and we’re glad to know that our resort made a great impression on you! Thank you for your 5-star recommendation of our resort and our awesome locale. We look forward to sharing our hospitality with you again at Vacation Village at Parkway Resort the next time you’re in Orlando.
Pace, Florida
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The only reason I can never give this resort a 5 out of 5 is because of the staff that is involved with the timeshare sales portion of this resort. They are extremely rude and pushy. I have complained about this numerous times but nothing seems to be done about it. Every time you check in (unless you do it extremely late at night) you have to go to a second counter in the lobby to get your "parking pass." The only reason they send you over there is so they can try to get you to go to their timeshare spiel again. I already own 2 here so I have no need to go through that horrific experience again. The people at the "parking pass" counter are friendly to you until you tell them you aren't interested. As soon as you do that they turn rude and start pressuring you to go to it. What's worse is that they lie to you about the purpose of it. They tell you (since I am an owner there) that it is only an "owner's update" meeting and that all you have to do is fill out a survey and they'll give you a free gift (gift card, attraction tickets, etc.) Well 3 trips ago I fell for that and that is so not what it is. They drag you offsite to eat somewhere and for 3 - 4 hours try to get you to buy another timeshare. If the vacation village staff would wake up and see that high pressure isn't the way to go they might sell more.

As far as everything else at this resort, I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Orlando. For the exchange value, it can't be beat. In less than 10 minutes you are ON DISNEY PROPERTY. It's as close to being on property as one can get.

The staff, other then related to the timeshare sales, are extremely friendly. From the front desk to the cleaning staff I have never seen anyone be unfriendly to us. The grounds are meticulously maintained. The rooms are exceptionally clean. This resort is by far the cleanest I have ever stayed at.

The rooms (at least the ones with full kitchen) are a great size. Beds are decent but not the most comfortable. We did on this trip request to be in a newer building and our request was fulfilled as we were put in building 17 which has the flat screens and one of the better pools.

My only complaint with the pools is that each pool should have someone on staff monitoring it while it is open. The first day we got in the pool some woman took the diaper off her kid and rinsed them off in the pool by dunking its butt in and out of the pool (which made me sick to my stomach). The second day I had to call security because there was a guy there that had a 12 pack of beer literally sitting by the pool and drinking it in the pool (signs clearly posted that nothing other than plastic cups are allowed in the pool area.) One thing I will say is that security did respond very quickly.

Overall, we will continue to stay here. I just wish they would tell their timeshare people to chill out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bishoparc
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Parkway, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for writing because we love hearing from our family of owners. We’re thrilled that you chose our resort as your primary vacation destination. We’re blessed with a fabulous location and great accommodations, and these are reasons why we have chosen Vacation Village at Parkway Resort as a prime location to showcase the benefits of our vacation ownership program. We apologize that their presence disrupted what would have otherwise been a perfect vacation for you. Yet many who come as guests to Parkway Resort leave as members of the Vacation Village Resort family of owners. Like you, they will return again and create lasting vacation memories with their loved ones. We very much appreciate your continued loyalty to Parkway Resort and we look forward to welcoming you back to Orlando.
Milton, Washington
Reviewed September 22, 2012

these are timeshare places but if you go to these places expect to be pressured into buytng thats there job.but you do have a choose just say no. I took the timeshare tour and the way I look at it 3 hours to put up with them is worth the gifts that you receive(ussually over $200 value)but this property is a real nice place ive accually stayed two different times and both were well worth it the check in was well handeled even when my reservations where cancealed the manager quikly came to the rescue and found them someone from the sales had put the wrong info on reservation grounds are nice and easy to get around

Room Tip: I advice poeple to see a couple different rooms just to see if its small enough if only you spouse o...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kyle m
Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation experience with us here on Tripadvisor. We’re pleased to know that our property exceeded your expectations and that you appreciated the value of the timeshare tour and the promotional gifts you received. We hope that you may return so that we can share our hospitality with you the next time you are in the city.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Quality Suites The Royale Parc Suites
#25 of 152 in Kissimmee
Parkway International Resort
Parkway International Resort
#11 of 152 in Kissimmee

Been to Vacation Village at Parkway? Share your experiences!