“Awesome rooms! Little Mermaid section totally the best!”

Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Ranked #6 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
“Awesome rooms! Little Mermaid section totally the best!”
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

All I read is how far the walk is from the Little Mermaid rooms, and unless you are not able to walk, it takes about 2 minutes to get to the animation hall. We traveled with 6 adults and 6 kids, all under 10, and never had an issue. Great value! Bus transportation was the worst part. A LOT of wasted time standing around. Some busses go to multiple places, one came after us waiting at MK for 50 minutes on Sunday Evening. I feel like we missed a lot while waiting for busses and making unnecessary stops. I would bring my our vehicle next time and avoid the standing around.

Stayed March 2014
6 Thank Amber '

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,714)
  • Korean first
Toronto
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed at the Art of Animation in January for 3 nights, and we were very impressed with the cleanliness and the size of the rooms. We were in the "Cars" section in a family suite. There were 3 adults and 3 children, and plenty of room. There was 1 bedroom with a queen bed, and in the main room, there was a pull out couch and a murphy bed, which both were very comfortable. (a lot more comfortable than the pull out couches at the All Star Music resort).
There are many pools at this property, but we only stayed at the small one near our room, which is a perfect size for our 3 boys.
the cafeteria is busy and large, and very typical of the cafeterias in the other value resorts. The laundry facilities are very handy and happened to be very close to our building, and that makes it easier.
Because this hotel is still very new, everything was perfect!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Lisa a
Fleming Island, Florida
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We spent three nights at the Art of Animation hotel in the Cars Suite. There were 4 adults and two young children. We were very happy with the suite - had a separate bedroom and two baths, refrigerator and microwave. It easily slept six with a sleeper couch and a murphy bed in addition to the double bed in the bedroom. The resort itself is great and has two wonderful pools and a nice play area. As a previous writer said, the only drawback was the cafeteria. The hot food was bad and my daughter found a bug in one of her food items. The pre-packaged food wasn't quite as bad but not up to Disney standards. There were laundrymats on the property which came in handy. I would definitely recommend the hotel, especially the Cars Suite, but not the cafeteria.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Ernest H
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Art of Animation was so much fun to stay at although to get a regular two bed room, it was quite a hike to the bus stop. The decor is bright and a good representation of Disney World. We usually stay at Pop Century as we are lucky to have enough money to attend at all. The food court was good, not as good as Pop's but decent. The hotel was clean, friendly, and well organized. I highly recommend this to any family.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Noleen444
Roseville, California
Reviewed March 26, 2014

This was mine and my husband's third stay at Art of Animation. First stay was on their grand opening day back in May 2012, which was in a Nemo suite. Second stay was December 2012 in the Mermaid section. Due to the lengthy walk to even make it to the mermaid section I swore I would never stay in that area again. However, when booking our third stay at AoA (March 2014), I just could not justify the price difference to stay in one of the closer suites (Cars, Nemo, Lion King), so I figured I'd give the mermaid rooms another try. Now, I will stress that the the only reason for us not wanting to stay in the mermaid rooms was strictly due to the distance from the main lobby/bus stop area, as we did not have a car and relied on internal transportation. The last thing we want to do after staying in the parks all day and being worn out is walk what felt like several miles to get from the bus stop to our room. My disclaimer here would be, if you drive your own car to and from the parks, most of my rant will not apply to you.
As had been the case on our previous visits the room was clean and well stocked with the standard soaps, shampoos, towels and such. As far as the room goes I truly don't have many complaints, other than I wish there was an extra blanket on our bed as I got cold every night. There was only a sheet and a thin bedspread and even with adjusting the thermostat (which I think is motion sensor controlled) didn't make much difference.
As far as the hotel itself, I did notice some thing that struck me about how un-Disney like it was. Now, for some reason the cafeteria area was undergoing a renovation so half of the seating area was blocked off and inaccessible. I found this odd and wondered what could need renovating since the hotel hasn't even been open two years yet. The other part that both me and my husband noticed was the floor tile between the lobby area and the gift store. Most of the tiles were cracked/broken and looked bad. To me, this was not up to Disney standards and I wondered how they could not have replaced the damaged tiles. I mean, this is one of the first areas guests see when they come into the hotel and damaged floor tile (many tiles) does not look good when trying to make a first impression. This being said, it did make me wonder if maybe this same floor tile issue was what prompted the renovations in the cafeteria.
Overall, the grounds were amazingly clean and well kept. The pool areas were clean with plenty of chair availability. The staff at the pool bar was very friendly as was the staff from the gift shop. The hotel itself is very close to Hollywood Studios and Epcot.

The walk to our room was as long as I remembered it being, so I think unless the price goes down on the other three suite areas, I mean come on AoA, you are a Value Resort, you're suppose to be cheaper than the moderate resorts, we will spend our next visit to a value resort at Pop Century. Pop's the same price as the Mermaid rooms and truthfully, you do have to walk a bit at Pop, but it's still not as far as the Mermaid walk.
On another note, I will say, if we were to have a car and not utilizing internal transportation, then the distance would not be an issue as there is a parking lot right outside of the Mermaid section.

Room Tip: If you want to stay at AoA, spring for one of the suites.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank lowgetter
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We completed the online check in so checking in was easy. We stayed in the little mermaid section in Ariel's building. It is approximately a ten minute walk. I never minded the walk. The theming is amazing and my daughter loved it. We walked around the lake path sometimes to switch it up. The room was very clean. The beds very comfortable and the room's air conditioning worked fine for us. My daughter loved the grotto tub (check for the hidden Mickey). The transportation was great. We never waited more than ten minutes for a bus. We ate breakfast ever day at the food court and had some lunches and dinners there. The food was great. Once you figure out where everything is, you are able to get food quickly. I would get food for my family and bring it to them. Then I would get my own food. The magic band made doing that easy. We will definitely stay here again when we return next year.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Jennifer L
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I had to travel to Disney in early January to participate in the Disney Marathon Weekend event (I ran the Half Marathon) and stayed at Disney's Art of Animation Resort. During previous Disney visits I've stayed at Disney resorts so I knew what to expect. As my party was small (only 2 of us) I was placed in the Little Mermaid Standard rooms so I can't comment on the family suites (Lion King, Cars, Nemo) but the decoration around the property is exquisite. You truly feel like you've walked onto the movie.
The decoration inside my room was great. It was the Little Mermaid themed and rather cute.
The only reason I did not give the property an Excellent rating was because the food in my opinion could have been better. I had lunch and breakfast during my stay. I found the food to be bland but the portion sizes were adequate and large. The eggs were a bit too runny for my liking on the last morning of my stay --- perhaps the large number of people was a contributing factor, so I'll chalk it up to maybe being an off wkend due to the number of orders that were being served, so food quality may have suffered. But compared to other Value Resorts the food here was eh..
The staff was excellent. I had made my reservation months in advance and was sent my magicbands via UPS in preparation for my stay -- I already had magicbands from a previous stay at the All Star Movies Resort 2 months prior but was able to make the switch/link rather easily. My roomie had a little more difficulty linking her band but the young lady that checked us in was able to resolve the issue without a problem.
Service, service, service!!! that is A+ at this and all Disney Resorts I have stayed in. The resort was clean, staff was always friendly and smiling (even if the multitude of people was overwhelming) and the resort grounds were impeccable (what I'm used to from all Disney resorts).
Due to it being race wkend the resort had complimentary buses taking participants and their cheerleaders to the strt (Epcot) and back to the resort. I also received a package that included a free round of mini golf at Fantasia Gardens (for myself and a guest) and a free entry to Disney Quest (for myself and a guest). I had a number of vouchers to other area attractions and dinning locations (Planet Hollywood being one).
I would DEFINITELY stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lizzy242014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Lake Buena Vista
Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort

Been to Disney's Art of Animation Resort? Share your experiences!