“Great for convention, but freezing!”

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #18 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
California
“Great for convention, but freezing!”
Reviewed July 18, 2010

First off, the hotel is HUGE. It is directly connected to the convention center, so if you are attending a convention, there is no better place to stay. When we arrived there were no bell men to help with our luggage (4pm??) Check-in was not a problem, however we asked if there was a possibility for an upgrade and were told "no", but the gal checking in a honeymoon couple comp'd a suite for them, and told them to just complete the survey, and to mention her name (the employee's) directly. So I guess it depends on who you get at check-in. I was traveling with my daughter, so there was no way to make up a quick "I'm on my Honeymoon-story" ha.
Depending on where your room is located, you can feel like you're outside even when you're not. There is a huge atrium in the middle of the hotel, with a skylight, to make you feel outside. If your room faces the atrium, then you never really see the "real world". Our room had a balcony, overlooking the steakhouse. Our balcony seemed larger than some, and room service could put the table out there, which was a nice touch. Our location to the convention center was great, so for us, that was awesome. There was a family next door with small children, but the walls are fairly thick, so we weren't bothered by family-noise. The TVs are the old box type, and they do not get many channels. The atrium noise can be loud (the waterfall runs all night, and if there is a reception in the atrium, be ready to turn up your TV all night!). The comforter on the beds is nice, however the sheets are horrible! Flat sheets only, so they pull up while you sleep, only to expose your feet to a felt-style blanket covering the mattress. Our housekeeper was lazy, so we had to make our own adjustments each night. The mattresses were firm, but fine. The room was small, but we didn't spend too much time in it, so we were pleased. If you are going to try and sleep someone on the floor air mattress, or on a roll-away, a 2 Queen room will NOT work.
When we arrived, the bathroom shower wall had a bundle of "hair" on the tile. I have a photo of it to upload later. Uck. There are 2 sinks, which was very nice. The coffee maker is like any ordinary hotel-coffee-maker, but our housekeeper continually forgot to leave condiments with the new grounds.
There is a 24 hour coffee shop located in the atrium. It's nice. There are other shops inside as well, which are nice, too. The restaurant we loved was the buffet! In my opinion, buffets are usually hit or miss. This one was a HIT. Even my picky 13 year old daughter enjoyed the meals. We also ordered to-go items from the downstairs cantina.
The Gaylord is not located close to Disney. They do have a bus, however, that runs every 30 minutes to different parks, which we found convenient, but if we were traveling to Orlando to go to Disney World, we would NOT stay here. It is much too far away.
The best part about the Gaylord for us was the location to the convention center, and the excellent food. Room service is delivered within 30 minutes, and was always good, except for a "herb-twig" in my daughter's pizza slice one night. They are supposed to remove that from my VISA, we will see. The down-side of the Gaylord is it is FREEZING in there! The room thermostat cannot be adjusted past 72 degrees, so we constantly were cold, slept in sweats, and by the 6th night, my daughter started losing her voice due to a sore throat.
The business center is located in the convention center, and I had an item shipped there, but even though I was a guest at the hotel, I had to pay them $3.00 for them to just hand me my item.
The rooms each have a computer, and it will connect you to popular internet sites like Facebook, yahoo, etc. But. Ours kept crashing. The free wi-fi was way better on our own laptop we brought from home.
Would we stay again? Yes, if we were there for a conference. If not, no.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank CaliforniaC_c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,355)
  • Polish first
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Had to stay in Orlando one night bevause of my husbands work. Did not want to stay at a Disney resort because of the cost and our kids are older and we wanted more of a adult atmosphere. It was just the two of us and we had a great night. We had fried calamari and blue point oysters at Sunset Sams in the boat. The food was a okay the calamari was wierd it was big strips of calamari, it wasnt bad just wierd. The oysters were small but good. Then we went to the Sushi bar had a shrimp tempura roll it was good. The drinks there were oustanding, diffrent and unique using liquers I have never heard of. Of course had Saki bombs, they were the best I have had. Then we ending the night at the Piano bar had a blast. The bartenders and staff everywhere were outstanding!! So if you want to get away from the tons of kids and have a nice adult evening stay at Gaylord Palms we will refer all of our friends and we will go again!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 8, 2010

I stayed here last year with a group of friends. After hearing rave reviews, I found the hotel to be average in most fields. Yes, it was clean and the atriums were cool, but nothing outstanding. The rooms were mediocre at best and very outdated. This hotel definitely needs a facelift!

I did enjoy the Disney shuttle and the variety of food on-site. While it wasn't the best hotel, I would stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Reviewed July 5, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Gaylord Palms for a convention, then spent a few extra days for pleasure. (St Agustine, Kennedy Space Center)
The emormous Hotel was great and the service was unmatched. We had the Emerald Garden room with a balcony overlooking the huge covered hotel. $$$
Two Pools
Miniature Golf
Several Restaurants. (reservations highly recommended)
Bakery and Coffee
Several gift shops
If you wanted to you could stay at the Hotel for a week and never leave. Although I throughly enjoyed the stay, I feel that there were some negatives.
Valet parking $23 per day
Self parking $12 per day
Room service breakfast $50 for two (includes a 21% gratutity)
Slow in room Internet access (remember dial-up? It's that slow)
Some people say that the Gaylord is in no mans land, but I disagree. It is super easy to jump on hwy 4 and go anywhere you need to go.
Bring quarters for the toll roads

Final words of advise.
This is a convention Hotel. If you have a family stay at a family friendly hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Cincinnati
Reviewed June 25, 2010

It's hard to get too excited about a convention hotel but from what I saw online the Gaylord looked pretty promising. The ambiance is nice and there is a pretty good selection of things to do, places to eat, etc. on-site so you don't have to venture out unless you want to (which is great after a long day of work). And, for a hotel, the sushi place was pretty darn good.

Unfortunately, I found the staff to be less than accomodating. Shirts that I requested to have pressed for meetings the next day were temporarily "lost" and a pair of shoes that I sent to have shined came back with stains on them. I brought this to the attention of the front desk and got nothing more than a "this happens sometimes" type of reaction. I included this feedback in the guest survey after I left and requested to be contacted but did not receive any contact. I sent a letter and nobody responded. Unfortunately, it seems clear to me that nobody at the hotel cares that they ruined a pair of my dress shoes and forced me to have to go to a business meeting in jeans in a polo shirt.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank bus_traveler_c
Sunny Florida
Reviewed June 24, 2010

We booked this trip for our anniversary as this was the hotel we stayed at the night of our wedding. They were also running a special for June anniversaries where you would buy the first night, and get the second free. Sound great so far right? WRONG!

We arrived to a huge dentist convention at this hotel. Although this is a very large property, MOST of the hotel lobby, and many of the amenities were closed off for the use of the conventioneers.

They had advertised a special message on the TV screen as part of the package. However they misspelled our names (both of them) even though I had sent them an email with both names, and listed our anniversary as the 5th (it was our 7th).

We had paid extra for an upgraded room. However our room was missing the robes, and slippers. Additionally we were left a half empty bottle of water (presumably left by the last guest). The bellman sniffed at our request for a robe and slippers. (How dare we ask for something we paid for!). I also asked him to bring up a bottle opener. After several hours and another request the brought me a corkscrew.

The valet said our car would be brought around within 20 minutes. However it took over 45 minutes, and we were late for our dinner reservations, and had to scramble to make it to our show (Cirque du Soleil). However this did give us an opportunity to enjoy the company of several dozen drunken dentists, one of which made a very inebriated pass at my wife.

When we arrived later in the evening to park at the valet again, they informed us that there was no more room left for valet service, and we were out of luck.They did say they would waive the self parking fees. HA!

The next morning we were awoken toWHO WANTS TO MAKE SOME NOISE!! EVERYBODY GIVE IT UP FOR SUNSHINE DENTAL! or whoever the hell sponsored this round of 80s hits, and island music. I guess no dentist convention is complete without a screaming DJ. Remember this was a trip to relax, and unwind. Our rooms were right over the atrium, and we were about blasted out of bed.

The next day was fairly unevertful now that the dentists had cleared out. However the alcoholic apothecaries had been replaced with wedding parties. Almost our entire atrium section was reserved for weddings. Practically everywhere I went we heard 'Sir are you with the party'?' or signs marking an area off limits. Enough was enough! I started looking forward to leaving.

We are longtime residents of the Orlando area, and we realize the 'tourist' mentality at many of these hotels and restaurants. No, I am not refering to the visitors. I mean the staff! It was ever so obvious here. Their whole attitude seems to be: Do the minimum amount of work possible, collect your customary tip, and repeat. Service is missing from this equation, but it's really not needed since more tourists will inevitably replace the old ones. Brilliant!

In closing, once the novelty of the atriums, and the alligators wears thin the lack of attention to detail, and complete disconnect from their guests' wants and needs becomes grating.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Loueloui
river falls,wi
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Most rooms overlook an interior, glass covered courtyard which reminded me of the habitats you see at the zoo. If you are the spouse of a convention goer, you are trapped there. There is nothing to do but sit at the pool or work out if you don't want to go to Disney World. Even the chairs and benches are uncomfortable and designed to make you move on. I longed to find a window and look out at the real world.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ortwinverona
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
Villas of Grand Cypress
#1 of 338 in Orlando
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
Wyndham Grand Orlando Resort Bonnet Creek

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!