“Caters to the noisy conventioner”

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #19 of 155 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I am attending a converntion (one of several) at the attached convention site. The hotel is either self contained or isolated, depending on your other needs beyond what they provide, which is a lot. They have the usual annoying required extra resort fee that has been mentioned by others. Why hotels charging $250+ per night think you are going to feel better having another $15 tacked on after the fact rather than folded into the nightly charge is beyond many of us. The singage is poor, perhaps to get you to walk through many of the sales venues that abound. The catered food has been reasonably good and the servers excellent. One of the several conventions hired a rock and roll band, which is set up in the central atrium and has played from 7-10, without an apparent break, loud enough to entertain every guest, whether they want to be or not. My room is as far across the atrium as possible from the band, and I'm guessing its about 60 decibels in my room with the drapes drawn. Thank goodness I'm not trying to edit a minuet on my computer. The front desk seems oblivious to the idea that not all the guests would enjy a rock and roll concert in the atrium. Probably a good place for a company annual sales appreciation destination event, but not for a family with young children or an older couple on a third honeymoon.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank John_Rodney_43
Write a ReviewReviews (4,785)

Reviewed May 17, 2010

This was a complete leisure trip for my husband and me, so my review will have a different perspective from some of the other ones. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Gaylord Palms. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by courteous and helpful staff. We requested a quieter section of the hotel and were given a lovely room in the Everglades pavillion. The atmosphere of the hotel totally put us in a relaxing frame of mind. We had a great time exploring the different pavillions and shops. Our room (suite) was spacious and we were very impressed with the furnishings, temperature controls and contemporary bathroom/shower. It was fun to wake up in the morning, sit out on the balcony and look down on the "Everglades".

After spending the day in the amusement parks, it was nice to come back to the hotel and take a dip in the adults-only pool. We liked how the Gaylord Palms accomodated families with a pool and splash area on one side of the hotel, and provided a quieter pool for adults on the other side of the complex.

Although we were tempted to eat at one of the hotel restaurants, we decided not to do so due to cost. However, after we returned to the Palms from dinner, we took a nice long walk around the main attrium and pavillion. It was fun to see live baby alligators in the "Swamp".

The cost of parking was disappointing. The Palms could easily reduce the rate to $8-$10 per day. The current fee is a bit too much, especially for guests staying with the hotel for more than one night. We had our own car so hotel location wasn't a problem for us - in fact, we liked being away from everything. However, I could see how that would be a big draw-back for a business traveller with limited transportation.

Would definately stay at the Palms again. Looking forward to seeing their holiday display in December.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2010

Here for a conference, the mist expensive hotel in a 3-week trip around North America
The room is good, aircon and fridge are not noisy (unusually), bed(s) comfortable.
But: it's in the middle of nowhere, no free airport shuttle (suggest you take a taxi and avoid the dreadful Mears shuttle), no shuttle into 'town', so you're stuck, with only the outrageously priced eateries (breakfast for $21!). You even have to pay $12.80/day for parking (if you rent a car), Talk about money-grubbing.
Internet has the speed of an old dialup line, to print anything you have to take your whole laptop to business centre, TV is out of a museum (but the working ceiling fan is a nice touch).
The fake 'resort' concept might work on some but it seems dreadfully tacky to me. Still, if you have to bring kids they'll probably like the pool/s.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank James B
Reviewed May 2, 2010

I have to say I'm not a fan of 'resort hotels', but I was here for a conference and had no choice. As a hotel, it was huge. I needed a map to find my room from reception and it took over 10 minutes to get there. Room was very comfortable, and all services are available on their PC terminals in the room. That is a neat idea. Wasnt too impressed with kids running up and down the corridors outside my room at all hours, but I guess if you're on business in a tourist destination, that's to be expected. Not much choice available for food, really, and as I didnt have a car, I was starting to feel trapped in the place after 4 days, even though it has giant gardens and courtyards (all indoor under a giant glass canopy). The food was excellent, bar was a bit pricey, staff were very friendly and helpful but after about 9pm, the whole resort was deserted.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank totocas
Reviewed April 25, 2010

I have asked for king bed on high floors and got queen beds on second floor. I have arrived late to the conference. All my peers who stayed in other hotels had free shuttles from airport to the hotel. This hotel had only payed shuttle ( 30 USD one way or 40 two ways). When I have asked for shower cup, was told it is reserved for VIP clients. However, when I have went down to reception I was given with no problems. Internet not included and addition fee collected.
Parking is not included in the expensive fair. Breakfast is not included as well
Hotel is clean and staff is very friendly. Great Garden. However next time I will opt for less expensive hotel with more free services.

4  Thank SHOSHICRAY
Gaylord_VOC, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2010

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your experience at the Gaylord Palms Resort, we try to fulfill all room requests made prior to arrival and we apologize that we could not accommodate this during your stay. Many hotels in the area make various accommodations for airport transportation and we apologize if this was an inconvenience. We take great pride in training of STARS and providing excellent service and we are glad you were able to experience this during your stay. Please e-mail our team at VoiceOfTheCustomer@GaylordHotels.com if you have any further questions regarding your stay and we sincerely hope to see you at the Gaylord Palms again.

Regards,

Gaylord Hotels

Reviewed April 23, 2010

We had a very nice stay at the Gaylord Palms. The grounds of the hotel were extremely well maintained and themed. We did not go to any theme parks but the hotel was at the same off ramp as Walt Disney World. The room overlooked the highway because we wanted to see the fireworks but we never were in our room at the right time. I would suggest getting a room right off the atriums next time, as the rooms with a balcony looked ideal. I loved just watching the fish or alligators swim around in our free time. The staff was friendly and the food at the restaurants were good but expensive. $90/day would not cover breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The staff at the front desk was helpful and let us have a room before check in time. The room was clean and nice, although it was not a King bed but we did not wish to wait for Check in time to get a king. The room was nice but I thought the bed was not as comfortable as others. The rooms included a refrigerator for our things. The linens were well maintained. Sometimes the walls were a little thin but overall the the room was quiet. We had a great rate with the convention.
This would be a great place to bring young children, as the atriums and pool would keep them entertained.

1  Thank Mugspaw
Reviewed April 20, 2010

Overall, the Gaylord Palms is a sprawling "resort" hotel that I am sure appeals to families. Nice pools, nice grounds, although I'm not in love with the domed atrium (but on a hot central Florida day, that roof must come in handy). My room was nice:not overly large, but did come with a large comfy bed and a nice modern bathroom and shower. No, my gripe has to do with the TV. A petty insult, you may conclude. Yes, but when you are spending upwards of $300 (including tax, parking and their 'resort fee'), you would think that a major league hotel like the Gaylord Palms would offer a flat screen HD television and not a puny, 26" tube set. It felt out of place in this modern building, not to mention its poor performance. Come on, Gaylord, invest in some modernity and bring your rooms into the 21st century.

2  Thank SarasotaCurt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
1 mi away
Waldorf Astoria Orlando
Waldorf Astoria Orlando
#27 of 340 in Orlando
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!