“The best Christmas holiday ever!”

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #19 of 155 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed December 29, 2009

My husband, daughter and I spent our Christmas vacation at Gaylord Palms Hotel. From the very start we were welcomed by valet, bellmen and reception desk with friendly efficient service. The hotel is an amazing combination of beautiful plantings and truly spectacular Christmas lighting. We stayed for three nights and wished we didn't have to leave. There were stage shows with wonderful performers each day that we were there including an aerial performance, heart stopping electric guitars and terrific singers. The meals that we ate there were very good, one a breakfast buffet and a late night dinner at the restaurant in the Key West area. Terrific!

We live in Florida so we had our own transportation. We took advantage of the town of Celebration, and the many fun things to do in the Orlando area. I had read so many reviews of this hotel that were negative that I was apprehensive but was pleasantly surprised to find the high quality and beauty of our surroundings. Our room was in the Everglades section, so fairly quiet and delightful to sit on the balcony and enjoy the view of the lighted pathways and plantings.

In other reviews there were many mentions of the extra costs involved in staying at Gaylord Palms, but you are told about them when you make your reservation so it's important to pay attention to them and take them into consideration when you plan your vacation budget.

I hope we can bring our whole family there next Christmas!!! They'd love it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,788)

Reviewed December 29, 2009

My husband and I stayed this past weekend, Dec. 26, for one night to celebrate his birthday. We had been to Disney all day and got to the hotel around 11:00pm to check in. Hotel wasn't very busy but we still waited for approximately 45 minutes to be checked in. We were told we would be getting a receipt, in which we didn't. After being checked in, I waite in the lobby for my husband to park our motorcycle. It took him another 45 minutes to find me. He had been instructed where to park and ended up in the back of the hotel in the employee section. He walked through the employee area, in which no one asked him for his ID. There was so security around! We then went to our room and found it disgusting!!! There was someones dirty underwear shoved up under the bathroom sink, hair everywhere, and the shear curtain was severely ripped! We then called and complained to the front desk and they sent a bell boy up to supposedly assist us and bring us new room keys and our receipt that we didn't get earlier. When the bell boy arrived, he just shoved the receipt and keys under the door and took off!! We couldn't believe it!! We called the front desk again and someone walked up and personally took us to our new room. He waited inside our room while we checked it over. We continued to find hair in the bathroom but took it anyways. After the man left our room, I questioned whether or not the sheets were clean. There were stains and we found a hair on the sheets. I was LIVID!! I proceeded to call around to try to find another hotel and everyone was booked!! So at 3:00 am I was so tired that I layed down and slept with all of my clothes on! It was rediculous!!! The next morning, I realized that there was plenty of towels but only 1 washcloth!! WOW!! This was crazy!! I was so glad to be leaving this place!!! The only thing that my husband and I got back was the parking fee that we had paid because he had to walk clear across the other side of the hotel to find me. Parking was rediculous!! We stayed here out of convenence because we were going to see "ICE", which we loved!! I will NEVER stay here again and I paid more than I usually pay for a hotel stay. Also, I felt it was a little shady how the hotel charged additional parking and resort fees, which should've been included in the original price of the hotel. This was a terrible experience!!

2  Thank lori32091
Reviewed December 29, 2009

I booked a anniversary two day package and the experience was not at all what I had hoped for. A major plus for my wife is to have a hot relaxing soak in a tub in our room. Impossible at the GP unless you have two queen beds. The shows were really loud in the rooms and we actually were a upgraded to a quiet suite which of course had no tub. We went to the fitness center to possibly get a warm sauna and steam room and the steam room was not available without a daily charge of $30. This is not the case at most hotels at this level. The hot tubs were not a warm temperature either when we visited all four of them, unusable. The prices at all of the restaurants were totally ridiculous and way over the top for items received. The steakhouse wanted 56 dollars for a 12 ounce dry aged steak and I had a KOBE steak at Emeril's the day before for 35 dollars, In NYC the going rate is 40 dollars. My wife and I had three meals at the hotel and they were each 60-100 without alcohol. This pricing is crazy and exploitive. All in all the total two 41 hour stay costed 589 dollars. This much and we received a night free! The Villa brunch was great, the Sushi was great but at a super premium price. At one point our waitress at Sora the second visit took 40 minutes to deliver three sushi rolls after our appetizer came out in a normal 10 minute time period.The restaurant was not packed as I looked around. Here's more, The shower in the first room leaked water over all the floor, the computers for iconnect were so slow they were basically useless in both rooms. All we wanted was a quiet two day stay with baths, etc...a romantic visit. Capped off by a thirty minute wait for a bell captain at checkout I lugged my bags myself to the car on the way out. A perfect ending to a really disappointing visit. Not to mention a semi-rude valet parking cashier. If i could only turn back time I would have surely chosen another hotel for sure. We live in Orlando and have a lot of meetings for ministry professionals. I must say that believe it or not the embassy suites or the Hampton Inns in town do a much better job, at one third the price. The tub dilemma is a major design flaw. What were they thinking? The double the value food prices are a deciding factor as well. Good luck in getting a lot of repeat business. I won't be back for this type of stay that is for sure. I hope that this direct, honest, evaluation is helpful to you.

2  Thank radiolouis
Reviewed December 29, 2009

We were treated to a stay at this hotel with family. They had made reserations in advance requesting a certain area of the hotel. We arrived and were told the specific rooms were not ready. that's fine we were early and decided to have lunch. I have had lunch at the Fish camp before an dhated it, actually got sick from it. I was with a group and went anyway. First the hostess Jenna from cape Coral was absolutly the rudest hotel employee. She made us wait 20 minutes for a table that was empty when we arrived, she stuck as at a 4 seater instead of the corner area that was larger, she seem to thinkshe held some sort of "power" over us. She really needs to learn how her negative attitude reflects the hotel and the customers. The grilled chicken was terrible, some sort of spice that just doesn't belong.
We also ate at the Hckory Smokehouse, service was good, food terrible. I have no problem payin gfor a good meal but the meat was sub par.
The breakfast closes at 10:30 but if you have one personn sitting they will let you all in. We didn't and were turned away but others knew to sit and wait for your party.
The rooms need a good cleaning, the sheets were getting worn with holes, the view of the tree was great. Those rooms we wanted and waited until 5pm for , never happened. We were put in a room on a high floor that had a great view of the roofs.
I like the overall feel of the hotel but I hate the food.
The ICE show was nice, I'm told it is smaller then before . I think those tickets prices are too high and probably wouldn't doit again.
I think its time to find another hotel in Orlando that maybe has better customer service, not the fake smile stuff and they don't try and help.
I'm writing the hotel concerning the hostess with the power problem, as well as maybe getting a new food vendor. Although it's been the same for th elast 3 years. Maybe they would change if they erad these reviews!

1  Thank Bridgets40
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I should have known better than to see any attraction at this crowded time of year but glowing reviews and the novelty of it compelled me to spend $150 including parking on tickets for my family. The crowds and wait were terrible, the scenery about what we expected based on the pictures - there wasn't a "wow" factor to seeing it in person.

They obviously sold too many tickets for each time slot, we were in line for our reserved time of 4:30 - 5pm for over an hour. Then we thought we were finally starting the tour - but, no, first we had to watch a promotional video in which we were encouraged to share pictures and our (positive) reviews of the experience through social media. They copied all the worst aspects of Disney: the extra charges for parking, the exit through the gift shop, the crowds.

We were warm enough because I was well prepared with gloves, scarves, hats and even long underwear. I felt really sorry for people depending on those parkas to keep them comfortable, they were miserable by the end of the tour and basically trapped by the crowd so they couldn't even get out quickly if they wanted to.

Crowded, crowded, crowded. And too expensive.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Familydream
Reviewed December 28, 2009

My husband and I took our two small children to see ICE (2 million pounds of ice carved into a really wonderful Winter Wonderland that you walk through) and we stayed at the Gaylord in a room inside the 4.5 acre grounds (almost like being in a terrarium). It was beautifully appointed, the room was comfy, the balcony looked over the inside plants and we could see where the floor show would be. We were so excited - until the show started. It was loud and it went on intermittently with different acts from about 6:30 to 10. We just couldn't relax like we thought we would be able to when we made the reservations. Also, the food was amazingly good - but very expensive. However, if you are staying in a room that costs $350/night, I guess you cannot imagine the food to be cheap. There was a computer that was in the room, but we couldn't get it to the game site that our son likes to play. Valet parking is $20/night. Yikes! Overall, we will go back, it was interesting, lovely and lots of fun, but we will make sure there are no indoor concerts!

Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2009

The Palms promoted their anniversary special (buy one night 2nd night free) emphasizing the Atrium rooms with balcony to enjoy the holiday atmosphere. What we got was a "partial obstruction" to quote the desk clerk, but we got a 3rd fl room over the Haagen Daas shop with a view of a roof. If you went to the balcony, you could look up to the glass ceiling. At the 3rd fl height, we were awaken by the cleanup carts rolling over the brick floors, the last time at 5am. Enhancing the evening was a rude hostess at their buffet. The one that keeps her head down, not acknowledging you until you leave. So we went to the Sunset fish house. It was 30 minutes from ordering until we got our food. The vegetables were knife ready since a fork wouldn't work. My Ahi was totally cold. Expected a raw center, but the outside was refrig cold. Wife's Mahi was rubbery and since we live in Fl we know what good Mahi is. This wasn't. The correction was to move us to an outside room, which is smaller. The restaurant mgr cut 30% off the check. Extremely slow kitchen, 3 dropped plates by the wait staff, and low quality food kinda indicated the B, or C team was working Christmas shifts.

1  Thank FlaTommy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
1 mi away
Waldorf Astoria Orlando
#27 of 340 in Orlando
Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista South
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!