“Not a place to stay for people with disabilities”

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #18 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 5, 2005

Recently at the resort for a convention.
Although my room was quite nice, it only had a shower and I prefer a tub.
All members of the staff throughout the resort were very friendly and helpful with the exception of one female at the Concierge Desk who I found to be rather rude.
The food we received during our stay at the convention was quite good and very plentiful and most people in our group loved the mushroom soup--it was outstanding!
The biggest problem I encountered is there were no accommodations for people with disabilities. I have severe asthma and since it was extremely difficult to walk around the facility, I struggled to get from one event to another on Friday evening and again on Saturday morning and was unable to attend any of the functions on our agenda for Saturday evening including our group photo. Had there been electric buggies available, I could have participated in what ended up to be the best meal and the best time our group had. For this reason, I would not recommend or return to the Gaylord.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

chicago
Reviewed May 16, 2005

My sister is recently divorced, so this past summer I took her on a three day vacation to Florida. We decided to stay at the Gaylord Palms because some family in the area told us that it was the must luxurious. Boy, were they right! We spent most of the three days enjoying their spa. We had massages, facials, body wraps, and we even took some personal training in yoga. Our last night there we ate at Sunset Sam’s which was everything one would expect from a seafood restaurant in Florida. Overall it was a fantastic hotel and one that I will definitely stay at again in the future.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Merritt Island Florida
Reviewed May 15, 2005

I have stayed at the gaylord Palms for the past couple of years for a yearly convention . I love this place and the friendly service we receive while there . I'm sure the prices are higher than other hotels , but I feel we get what we pay for . I do think the boat could be a little better as far as the food they serve . etc... . I look forward to this as a weekend spot every year for my convention and while I am only an hour away after the weekend we feel like we have had a mini vacation . I wouldn't change one thing about my stay except that I would love to be able to stay a week .
I look forward to this years convention and the fun times my kids will have

• Stayed: May 2004
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 3, 2005

My week long hotel stay was perfect in just about everyway. People would probably ask why I would say so or what would give me justification to give a good review. Well in short, I refuse to travel anywhere, business or personal unless I'm provided a luxury rental car and a 4 star or better hotel and this hotel ranks as one of the best I have stayed in.
When we checked in our first night after some flight delays and arriving at 12:30 PM we were initially greeted by the great valet parking staff who immediately opened my partner and my doors and expeditiously retrieved our luggage from the trunk of our convertible.
Upon walking into the lobby, I was amazed. The hotel is beauitful and walking into the lobby is like walking into a different world. Upon reaching the check-in we were immediately assisted and checked in promptly. Upon reaching our room we were shocked to find out they had inadvertently given us a double room instead of a king room. I decided to walk back down to the front desk and get everything reassigned. Upon arriving at the front desk I was once again amazed, without question they apologized and upgraded us to a room in the Emerald Bay section which provides nice ammenties and larger rooms. This was without question or complaint.
The rest of the hotel stay was phenominal, everything from the courteous pool side staff serving endless drinks and ease of use to charge everything to your room (poolside and in the restaurants and stores), to the business center that had a bell hop pick up some of the many snow globes we purchased from Disney from our room to be shipped back to NY.
I have nothing but great things to say, I know some people are shocked by the cost to park or the charge for the hotel ammenties, but if you consistantly stay at nice hotels, you'll come to realize this is par for the course.

• Stayed: July 2004
5  Thank JLewisinSyr
Reviewed May 2, 2005

The hotel was super nice, the service excellent. The food is overpriced, but most resort locations are. It was not a cheap place to stay, but I think you get what you pay for. I had a room that opened up with a balcony that overlooked the atrium. It was very nice. The in-room computer was also very good and convenient. If you can afford the price, I would definitely recommend staying here. The bath amenities were great as was the front desk. I have been here at a convention before and it is great for them. You can stay, shop, eat, drink, swim, go to the Spa, which is wonderful and never leave the property.

• Stayed: March 2005
3  Thank tracycul
Reviewed April 18, 2005

The interior atrium smelled funny, kind of like the inside of a Disneyland ride. I was glad we got a room overlooking the parking lot because I was concerned about the noise of the atrium rooms, but our window was the sealed kind and wouldn't open! We like fresh air, and the only place to get it here was at the pools or the parking lot. The interior was over-airconditioned for our taste. The rooms were comfy, service was efficient and friendly, gardens are beautiful. The tap water is awful. We attended a business conference and had many meals provided by the hotel - very good for hotel food. The guy at the store that sells the items from the Atocha shipwreck will give you a history lesson.

Stayed: April 2005
6  Thank gigib1
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed April 14, 2005

We stayed here April 7-11, 2005 for a conference (company-paid) and really enjoyed our stay. The different themes they had in the atrium were fantastic! Staff was excellent! Enjoyed the 2 bottles of water daily, since the tap water tasted like chlorine. The high-speed internet in our room also came in handy for emails. However, food at this resort was insanely expensive. 2 small boxes of cereal @ the Java store cost $6. Too bad the resort is in the middle of knowhere, or else I would've walked outside the resort to find cheaper eats.

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
Villas of Grand Cypress
#1 of 339 in Orlando
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
Orlando World Center Marriott

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!