“Only the best...”

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #19 of 155 Hotels in Kissimmee
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 9, 2005

I couldn't help but to raise an eyebrow after reading the last review...comparing this hotel to a Super 8 Motel doesn't quite add up from my experiences. I've stayed at the Gaylord on business and for pleasure with my family, and while it isn't cheap, it is extremely reasonably priced in terms of quality. You get at least what you pay for, if not more. All of the rooms are well furnished with not only the standard hotel ammeneties (a TV, coffee maker, ironing board, etc) but also many additional and unique features, including ceiling fan, flatscreen computer, safe sized to accomodate and charge your laptop, fridge, extremely comfortable and oversized bed, marble topped sink and vanity area in the bathroom, seperate from the toilet and shower to increase functionality, unique Florida-themed artwork and furniture...and the list goes on. And that's not just the suites - that's every room. The $10 resort fee is more than fair, covering a daily newspaper, 2 bottles of water and OJ refilled daily, free high-speed internet access with in-room computers, use of the fitness center, and free transportation via shuttle to the Disney parks. My multiple experiences at this resort have repeatedly proved to me the consistancy and quality of a willing-to-accomodate staff. This entire property is beautiful, exciting, unique, and well worth the money for those looking for a high-end, one-of-a-kind, personal, romantic, or family getaway.

• Stayed: February 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (4,785)

Reviewed March 8, 2005

Beware!!!!! We recently stayed stayed at the Gaylord Palms & when we arrived there was a hugh ReMax Realty convention going on. The room we were given - without our knowledge - turned out to be a handicapped room. It was a regular room that was nice except there was no closet - this room had a nitch with no doors and a clothes bar that was about 24 inches across & was very low to the ground. We had many things to hand including a gown & asked to be moved to a room with a regular closet. The front dest was rude & told us that that was all there was - they still did not let us know it was a handicapped room. The bath room had a shower and the ground was level - meaning there was no step up to keep the water from soaking the rest of the floor - which made it very slippery to walk on!! Finally late the next day we had a friend that knew someone at the hotel & they had us moved to a regular persons room.
Also the nite we arrived - the ReMax people had taken over the WHOLE hotel & you could not eat or go anywhere in the hotel except the outside pool bar for dinner - however we did not come 2000 miles to have a hotdog!!. There were guards posted all over the hotel keeping us out of any of the restaurants - finally we were told we could take a shuttle the hotel would provide to restaurants. We picked a good one - Moonfish - it was really crowed but had great food but very expensive!

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank ColoradoResident
A TripAdvisor Member
Lincoln, NE
Reviewed February 27, 2005

My wife and I just returned from the Gaylord Palms. My wife was at the Gaylord for business and I tagged along and worked from Florida. At first glance I was very impressed with the resort but then we checked in.

We learned that they charge $10 plus tax for a resort fee. I guess the resort needs some extra dollars instead of putting the fee in the room rate. Then we were told that we were required to cough up an extra $50 per night to cover any room charges while we are there but would receive it back if we did not use the money. I will say the front desk staff was very friendly though. The room we got was just OK but not worth $190 per night since it did not look any better then a Super 8 motel room.

We did eat at some of the restuarants and the service was the worst at the pool area. We waited 20 minutes before a waitress came around and asked us what we wanted to drink and order. We both ordered fish and chips and got 4 stips of fish and a lot of french fries for $12. Most of the food there was around $12 and the beer was $4.50 while the margaritas was $8.50. The sea food place on the ship was good. I ordered Sammon and got a very nice piece but nothing else came with it for $24. My wife ordered Scallops and got 5 pieces with nothing else for $24. Needless to say the resort over charges to the extreme.

The bottom line is you need to be very wealthy to stay at the Gaylord Palms. We did not see very many families but the convention area was always full. I would recommend you stay some where else and eat off property. There is a lot of great places to eat and have fun. Enjoy your stay in Orlando but not at the Gaylord Palms.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 20, 2005

I am writing from the in room computer with free internet access at the Gaylord Palms! Family including children ages 11 and 13 and Grandma booked two rooms using the internet. We requested atrium views in the St Augustine section of the hotel and our request was granted. What a beautiful and unique property with a nice mix of business and family clientele. Kids enjoyed the kid's pool with small slide, but wished they could have used the empty adult pool (everyone was sunbathing instead of swimming). $10 resort fee was fair for paper and two Dasani waters and 2 OJs, internet access and in room computer, and fitness center. Husband used fitness center daily and said that it was VERY well equipped. Wished I could have used the Canyon Ranch Spa! Yes, the restaurants are expensive, but we picked up a bite at the Planet Java cafe and dessert at the on site Ben and Jerry's. There is a kid's menu on the room service menu and snacks. Property is VERY convenient to Disney World which is right down the street. We had a rental car, but they offerred a shuttle. We are enjoying our stay at the Gaylord Palms....a beautiful and unique property.

5  Thank NYtraveler110
Reviewed January 28, 2005

This resort is a cross between a Las Vegas hotel and the Mall of America. It is huge inside. I just finished a 5-day stay and came to appreciate the large atrium when it rained outside. We were on business and there was no reason to even go outside. It's that large.

Rooms: I had an Everglades theme room. It was large, comfortable and clean. The Internet access is on a flat panel display using a regular Internet Explorer browser. Just be aware that it isn't a regular computer. You can get online but don't expect a USB port or CD burner. There was an ethernet cable for anyone with a laptop. One nice touch is that the safe has a power line inside. The bathroom had two sinks and the usual assortment of bath soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. My only gripe is that there is no shelving space. I traveled alone this time but if I were with my girlfriend were would be having some real estate issues.

Service at the Gaylord was excellent. Everything was clean and employees smiled. One night I ate at the Hickory Steakhouse and I do recommend it. You have to book in advance. Last night I had a quick meal at the indoor/outdoor bar. The burger was good but not cheap. $12 is a bit much. A 20 oz bottle of Coke costs $2 at the gift shop. Standard resort overpricing. Like someone else said, the $10 resort fee does give you a bottle of water.

I was there on business but did have a free afternoon. The Gaylord has a free shuttle to Disney. The entrance is about a mile down the road. The shuttle is fine but you have to pay attention to the schedule. Also it stops at all the parks so I had to wait through two stops before arriving at Epcot. It takes about an hour for the bus to make a complete loop.

Last but not least is the Canyon Ranch spa. It is expensive but worth it. They also have a small but very nice gym.

6  Thank FarAwayTraveler
Reviewed January 16, 2005

I thought the valet was the most terrible service I had ever received at any hotel in my life. Although the hotel is beautiful the service is lacking throughout......... The one plus is the free internet service in the room.

• Stayed: July 2004, traveled on business
2  Thank ivannme1223
Reviewed January 15, 2005

We are a family of four; two children ages 10 & 12. We visited the Gaylord in December 04 and we were very pleased with the resort. It is quite large and completely enclosed so that you can shop, eat or just watch the beautiful fish in the ponds, orchids, etc.
The pool was wonderful with a neat slide and waterfalls, kids loved it. It was not very crowded while we were there. The food was good and the entertainment was great. I visited the Canyon Ranch Spa and had a glorious treatment. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay and would return. Definitely recommended.

3  Thank bbrrtt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
1 mi away
Waldorf Astoria Orlando
Waldorf Astoria Orlando
#27 of 340 in Orlando
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!