“First time, but not my last.”

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #18 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
Palmetto, FL
“First time, but not my last.”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Just got home from a weekend at the GP. Took my nephew to play for the weekend. I will be going back for some adult time since I really didn't get to see the whole resort. If you have kids get to the pool early for seats and the pool is packed. My nephew is almost 7 and he really had a great time the water slide area. Great place for younger kids without having to go to Disney. I always read these reviews and I can agree with everyone that the parking is astronomical but its a resort so I expected it. I am a Marriott member and got upgraded to an atrium view in the Everglades. Rooms were very modern and clean. Restaurants are quite expensive but I am from the Tampa area and had a car so we ate out. All in all I was very happy with our experience and will be returning to check out the rest of the resort and hang out in the "adult only" pool.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GaylordPalms, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you for your recent review, It sounds like you and your nephew had an excellent time at our resort. When you return for your adult time you really need to stop ny Wreckers’ Sports bar and our adult only pool. We are constantly examining our prices as to relate to the other resorts in the area and I will make sure to pass along your comments to our Leadership team.

Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,355)
  • Polish first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Yes, this is a very nice resort but you will spend some money. As they say, you get what you pay for, and the service is top notch.

It's very close to all the area vacation destinations.

No microwaves though. Bummer...

And you'll pay for parking (self parking slightly cheaper than valet)

On site restaurants very expensive, but plenty of choices on 192 just around the corner.

Overall, we had a great time! I attended business meetings all week while my wife and daughter vacationed.

Room Tip: Atrium rooms provide a nice view of the large indoor atrium (they cost more). Outside rooms provide...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
GaylordPalms, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for your comments and tips, Our Stars do strive to provide flawless service to all of our guests and I hoped you need enjoy your time with us. We are constantly looking to improve our service. I will make sure to pass your comments along to our management team. As for the microwave we do not have them in the rooms but we do have some available for use at our Cocoa Bean coffee shop. I hoped you enjoyed your stay and that you will come back to the Gaylord Palms.

Guests Services
Miramar, Florida
Reviewed July 20, 2014

First I want to start by saying this hotel is Huge! The hotel itself is gorgeous on the inside and outside by the pool area. We stayed in an atrium view in St Augustine and had the most beautiful view. This was the highlight of the trip for me and my girlfriend. Previous reviews complained about the atrium being noisey at times, however this was far from true when we were there this weekend. The sound of the waterfall was very relaxing. The grounds were well kept and very nice to walk around and explore. The pool area was a lot of fun. There was a little water park area which was a lot of fun, especially the waterslides. In the night they played at movie at the family pool and this was a pretty cool thing to enjoy, u could just sit in the pool and enjoy the movie under the stars. The only negative I had was that the pool gets packed, for the size hotel they could have had a bigger pool, but that's a minor negative overall it was really nice. The restaurants are extremely pricey so my advice is to eat out and definitely bring your own liquor! I love this place and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Get an Atrium view room in St Augustine. it has gorgeous views and very close to pool and parking.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rallbrn
Thank you for your recent review, I is nice to see that you enjoyed our resort and the all its features. We are always looking at areas of improvement and I make sure our management gets your comments on the size of our pools and prices at our restaurants.

Guests Services
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 18, 2014

This was our 3rd time staying at the Gaylord Palms. I booked with a discounted teacher rate, but with the extra fees (resort, parking, tax, etc.) it added up. I personally think $18 for parking per night is a little excessive. The hotel itself is gorgeous. When we went to check in, the employee noticed I was there on a teacher rate and decided to upgrade us to thank me for working with children, which was very nice.She wanted to give us an atrium view, but none were ready and we didn't want to wait to get into the room, so she put us in the emerald bay section directly over the waterpark and pool. We just had to head down the elevator and we were stepping out to the pool entrance. This is nicer than it sounds because the resort is HUGE and has a somewhat confusing layout inside. You really have to follow the maps which are, thankfully, on several poles throughout the resort.
Our room was spacious and very clean. The refrigerator was a good size and can fit several waters/sodas, and food items. The drawers are large and counter/desk size is spacious. There is a coffee maker in the room and an extra 2 pillows and blanket in the closet, which I appreciate.
We headed straight down to the pool which the boys loved. Their main complaint was the slides. For some reason, they go very slow. There are 4 and one is longer than the others, but it goes slow also. Maybe not enough water pressure....anyway, the rest of the waterpark area is fun with a big bucket that empties every couple minutes. They have an adult pool and a family pool which is located right off the waterpark. It is large but not quite large enough to accomodate the masses of people that stay there on the weekends. It was crowded. And there is no lifeguard. It isn't deep but with so many people, you need to keep and eye out on the kids at all times. The seating can be crowded also, so get there early if you planning on setting up for the day. The waiters come by on a regular basis to check if you need anything but be warned, alcohol is very expensive at the resort. We had a good deal on food because kids eat free for all of July, but just don't plan on drinking if you are watching the budget.
A couple of major bummers pertaining to the pool were that they had to close twice, once for lightning and then for "code brown"...use your imagination. That was no fault of their own and they got it cleaned up and ready in about an hour. The kids could use the waterpark area during that time though as they are not connected.
We ate at Sunset Sams (the boat) and Wreckers Sports Bar. We all really loved both atmospheres. The boat is gorgeous, but the menu is somewhat limited. I had a mahi sandwich and it was very good. We went to wreckers twice and their appetizers are very tasty. The servers were also very friendly. My husband and boys loved the 30 foot screen with sports all over it. Outside of Wreckers is a large field with artificial turf which seemed to be the meeing place for children every night. The boys played football with other guests and had a great time. They show a pool side movie every Friday and Saturday night. They also have a Starbucks which serves a variety of sandwiches too, but it can get very crowded.
The atrium is worth a slow and detailed tour. They have a scavenger hunt that the kids can participate in and it was fun for us. The alligators and koi fish are fun to watch and the history throughout is amazing. My favorite area was the St. Augustine caves area. It is all just very beautiful. The stores are good too. A large variety is available. The gameroom is so so. It is clean, but rather small.
Overall, this is a resort that you do not have to leave during your stay. There is plenty to do for the family. My only suggestions were to be to lower the parking fee and to add another more family budgeted restaurant. While they are all nice, they are rather pricey.

Room Tip: The atrium view rooms have a small patio that overlooks the area, but all rooms are nice.
1 Thank Angela R
GaylordPalms, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Angela, thank you very much for taking time from your busy schedule to write a review of our property. We are very pleased that you enjoyed Wreckers Sports Bar, Cypress Springs Water Park and our property amenities. We hope to welcome you back in the near future! -Linda P., Guest Service Guru
Reviewed July 16, 2014

The stay itself was fantastic! This was my third time staying at this resort and I love the themes in the atrium. The staff is very professional and friendly and even upgraded our reservation for free to a room with a balcony since they did not have a king room available for early check-in in the price range we reserved. My issue with this resort came after I checked out. Two out of my three stays have been plagued with billing issues. I used the quick checkout on the TV in the room and it gave me my total due. After checkout I checked my bank account and noticed that I was charged an extra $22 from what the invoice advised. After calling the billing department they told me it was a charge to my room account for a item in the gift shop. The only issue is I never charged a thing to my room during that stay. On my most recent stay I advised the front desk at check-in that I wanted to pay for my whole stay up front and block out any room charges as to avoid the problem I dealt with previously. After checkout everything looked great and I thought this visit would be flawless. That was until I found my bank account was over drafted. After investigating I found a $221 charge pending on my account "four" days mind you after checking out. I immediately called the billing department freaking out and they advised that they only saw the $234 charge for my stay and didn't even see the pending $221. No one I talked to could explain to me why I'm getting charged another $221 on top of my $234 that already cleared from my account. Now I'm left with paying bank over draft charges and taking out a cash advance to get by. Due to the chaos and headaches this has caused me I will probably be avoiding this resort in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ssgbravo
GaylordPalms, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Gaylord Palms. We sincerely appreciate your loyalty to Marriott Hotels & Resorts. If you are still experiencing any billing issues, please contact Marriott Business Services at 866-435-7627 so that we can assist you. We apologize for your inconveniences and look forward to providing you with flawless service upon your return. -Linda P., Guest Service Guru
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2014

As many other reviewers have mentioned, this is primarily a conference hotel but don't rule it out as a destination for both adults and children alike.
We spent a couple of night over the July 4 weekend as it was our anniversary but also had our teenage children with us so wanted to find a place which accommodated to both. We live in Tampa so the trip over is only 45 minutes. This is a place where you can honestly stay for a couple of days and not have to leave the grounds. They have a fantastic kids pool with water slides etc as well as an adult pool which isn't too far removed from the main pool area. Cabanas are a nice touch and quite affordable unlike Vegas cabanas so I recommend taking advantage of these.
We only ate at the sports bar a couple of times and it was more than adequate. Wings and burgers are good and the beer is cold.
Rooms - are quite spacious and they provided us with connecting doors for the two rooms which was nice.
Overall service at this hotel is excellent as everyone is more than helpful and there is plenty of staff to connect with.

My 4 rating instead of 5 is due to their lack of attention to detail. They charged my daughter more than $60 for frozen yogurt which showed up on our bill. Luckily we noticed this and called back in to get it changed. It was quite easy and they were very helpful but it still took more than 30 minutes out of my day to do so.
Additionally I called in to let them know we were celebrating our anniversary (keep in mind we are Platinum Marriott members) and they said they would make a note of it and make sure to do something. I'm not looking for anything special here as it's more of an extra thought for my wife but they ignored this request completely. It's the small things like this that can make or break a hotel's customer service score.

Room Tip: Our room looked over the Atrium and was located at the same elevators that went to the pool. I'm...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent experience at Gaylord Palms. As a company, we empower all of our STARS (employees) to make it right for our guests -- and we’re thrilled they were able to do so for you in regards to the frozen yogurt overcharge. At Gaylord Palms we pride ourselves on being a resort dedicated to flawless customer service, and it’s clear we did not provide this for you. Thank you again for the praise. We will be sure this comment gets passed along! -Linda P., Guest Service Guru
Brandon, Florida
Reviewed July 15, 2014

This hotel and the amenities are over the top. The rooms are large and very conformable. They were spotless. Since this was a family celebration we had three rooms and the hotel staff was very accommodating locating our rooms very close together. The entire staff at this hotel are outstanding from the time you drive up and unload until you load back up and be on your way. Food was great in the the places where we dined. The Old Hickory Steakhouse and the Sandbar restaurant by the pool. There are two pools one for adults and the kids pool which is like a water park. 4 different slides and a number of other activities for kids and grown ups alike. A large screen TV to view with personalized message board. Movies in the evening.

Room Tip: Try for a upper story room there are 8 levels. Overlook the atrium but it can be a bit noisy but w...
Green Features: There are any number of places to discard your trash. It is easy to see that this hotel is concerned about the environment
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hi Chuck, Please accept our sincerest thanks for this amazing review! We are grateful you selected Gaylord Palms to celebrate your 50th wedding anniversary. We empower our STARS (Gaylord-speak for employees) to WOW our guests, and are pleased they were able to provide you with a memorable weekend. We're glad you got to enjoy so many of our on-property amenities as well! We look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful experience. -Linda P., Guest Service Guru
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
Villas of Grand Cypress
#1 of 338 in Orlando
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
Wyndham Grand Orlando Resort Bonnet Creek

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!