“Double Charged”

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #18 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed May 2, 2014

This is my second time staying at the resort, and I decided to write this review to warn others. Both times at the resort have been enjoyable. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The atrium is really cool, and my 4 year old daughter loves it in there. The pool area is really cool, and the lawn area is lovely. The major problem with the place is that they were just purchased by Marriott, and they can not get their computer systems to sync properly. Both times I have stayed there, I have booked through the Marriott web site, and both times, I have been double charged for the room. The first time I disputed the charge, they gave my credit card a hard time. This last time I made sure to keep my receipt. Sure enough. Double charged again!!!!!!!...... It is a really nice proper. However, we will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank lilir71
GaylordPalms, Public Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

We sincerely appreciate the time you took to comment on your recent stay. We strive to ensure each customer has a flawless guest experience and we’re very sorry we did not provide this for you. Please be assured that your comments are not taken lightly and they will be reviewed with the appropriate personnel. Again, thank you for your feedback which allows us to continually improve.

Kanisha - Guest Service Guru

Reviewed May 1, 2014

I stayed with a friend for a girls weekend...we had such a great time the food was great. Sora had the best Sushi I have ever had and I grew up on the West Coast. The pools were fun - service was super. When Sunday came I didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for taking time from your busy schedule to write a review of our property. We are very pleased that you and your friend enjoyed Sora Sushi Bar, the pools and our property amenities. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Kanisha - Guest Service Guru

Reviewed May 1, 2014

It's day 2 of a 5 day stay and so far, so BAD! Here with a conference or I'd go elsewhere! After checking in (at Marriott Elite desk, no less), there was no King room available so we were given a queen " but with a pool view" HA! The view is of the roof of the pool restaurant! Now, I have been sitting at the adult pool for 2 hours. Beautiful pool. However, after one hour with no servers offering me anything, I flagged one down and asked for a menu. She gave me one "here, Lady". Now, it's been 1 hour and she never came back to check on me and take an order! Doesn't anyone want my money? The other issue is the internet- very weak in different areas of the atrium. By the pool, the convention center internet has a stronger signal but I cannot log onto that (I only have a room code). I have wanted to stay here ever since staying at Gaylord Opryland, but it cannot compare! If you're a conference planner, stay with the JWMarriott brand! Way more luxurious and better service!! Also, I have not found any healthy food choices at the Gaylord yet! Especially at the pool!
PS- my food was just brought to me- no napkin or flatware!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Shar22LongIsland_NY
Reviewed April 30, 2014

This is a really pretty resort, allot to do under 1 super dome!! :o) The atmosphere is amazing the rooms are super comfy, decorated beautifully, we didn't want to leave, and you really don't have to, this is the place for a vacation all in 1!! The only negative is the pricey food...no way of grabbing a quick affordable meal at this resort, your going to pay top dollar for an average burger at the outdoor restaurant by the pool, and that's the cheapest place to eat at the Gaylord. We have been several times, for ICE, and just to enjoy the resort, it's a definite must see in Orlando.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I was discouraged by a long line at check-in, but it flew by in seconds thanks to the ample counter help. The hotel interior is an enclosed ecosystem with alligators and warm, moist weather. The outdoor pool is separated by family and adult only, the rooms are comfortable and huge. I love this resort and will definitely return. Best time ever!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are worth the extra coin! Ask for one overlooking the inside.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Not quite as large as the Nashville resort but still very lovely. There were ample places to eat, although pricey compared to normal dining were very reasonable for resort fare. It feels strange for me to say but I didn't have one substandard meal. All were served hot, within a very reasonable time, and were delicious. The rooms felt very standard and the mattress was a bit firm for my liking (this is purely personal preference) but they were very clean and provided all of the necessary amenities plus free wifi! The service was phenomenal as I was treated as a valued guest. I've noticed that in some touristy places you are treated as a fleeting passerby but not in this case. It truly put the cherry on the stay.

Only complaint I had was the price of cab fare to any of the local attractions and the airport. Otherwise, I will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed here 4 nights over April break. Really beautiful hotel. The water park, atrium, adult only pool and Jacuzzi's were all really great. Food is very very pricey and you do have to pay for parking above and beyond the resort fee which for many Marriott's are one in the same. I think you pay separately ($18) a day for parking because they have a staffed person running the gate. Then the resort fee is $20 which covers internet, bottles of water in your room. It does seem a bit excessive. We had 4 in the room. Beds are comfortable and the room is nice. We did upgrade to a larger room so that we could have a rollaway. $40 to have an Atrium Balcony. The rollaway was fairly comfortable. You really would need a car so that you can eat off site. Ideal for visiting Orlando outside of Disney. Nothing beats the value of staying on Disney IMO where there is no extra fee for transportation or parking and you can find a cup of coffee for less than $4. We didn't end up using the restaurants except for the coffee place due to the price. There is a refrigerator in your room and the single serve coffee machine works very well. So, we stocked snacks. We went to nearby Old Town to eat at Checkers and another time for Jimmy John subs. Most of the staff were very pleasant with the exception of the pool towel staff who demanded to see our wristbands. I explained that we were never given any at check in and then she wanted to know if we were with the cheerleaders -- I told her no. Then she was much nicer and gave us bands. The next day, we went through the same exact thing. I think she was going to make us go back to the front desk to get them, but I had my room key each time. After making sure we weren't with the cheerleaders, she gave us new bands explaining that we should leave them on. I thought they might change the color each day, but not the case. She apologized so it all worked out.

Room Tip: I didn't think we would use the atrium balcony but it was nice to have a place to sit with morni...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
Villas of Grand Cypress
#1 of 340 in Orlando
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
Orlando World Center Marriott

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!