“Luxury Resort - Fixable Plumbing Problem”

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #18 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed February 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed here in late January. The service remains excellent (This is our 10th visit). The valet was prompt, and the bellman was quite helpful with our bags. The entire process from arrival until we got to our room was about 10 minutes. The rooms have been recently remodeled, and our king room was very comfortable. The only problems we had were with the shower and a very noisy baby next door. The shower had a very-low-flow shower head, and it was impossible to properly set the temperature to a comfortable level. The water temp fluctuated wildly from too hot to too cold, even though I moved the control lever very slightly. Concerning the noisy baby, this is the first visit where we have heard anything from another room. However, this time our sleep was rudely interrupted in the middle of our final night's stay. To the hotel's credit, they did comp that day's resort fee for our inconvenience. While the overall stay was enjoyable, they do need to fix their plumbing.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,681)

Reviewed January 29, 2014

this hotel has always been a great place to stay but we were happy to hear marriott had bought it a year ago. rooms were clean and service always very good. there was only one hitch during the stay and that was trying to lift my husbands mobility scooter out of our truck. it was 11pm and I realize the valet services has limited service at that tume of the night. there were a couple but seem to be having good time talking to limo drivers and then disappeared. we finally lifted it down ourselves. when I saw someone finally I asked if she could help my daughter get around all the cars and received a flppant answer about not understanding how our daughter couldn't move the truck.all the other times during the day we had wonderful service with the valets always coming to us and offering help. the staff was always asking us if we were being treated well and we were.

Room Tip: we like to be away from front of hotel
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I was at the Gaylord Palms tonight for a meeting, and it didn't start out too well - not the hotel's fault I think. The room for the meeting was changed , lack of signs made it hard to find the room, and when I finally got there the room was overfull (standing room only), so I gave up and left. I went back to valet parking, where I had just left my car 20 minutes before - and met two young people who any organization would like to employ : John P from Houston TX, a valet parker, and Mariella B, the cashier at the valet stand. Mariella asked me how I was and I said "frustrated - I just spent $25 to valet park my car for less than a half hour for a meeting that I wound up being unable to attend". I'm sure she hears that kind of thing every day, but she must have mentioned it to John, because he told her that he had been the one to park my car and it had indeed only been a few minutes before. She and he came out and found me and offered to refund the parking fee, which certainly made me less unhappy with the situation. He then got the car promptly so I could be on my way.

It may seem like a small thing, but the fact that these young people would make an extra effort to do the right thing for the customer - and that their management has obviously empowered them to do so - is very gratifying. I had paid and wasn't raising a fuss about it (after all, the problems I was having weren't their fault), but they made the effort to make things right.

I actually tried to contact Marriott to give them some positive feedback, but I couldn't find a contact. So hopefully this comment will somehow get to management there.

Regarding the property - I didn't stay there, but the common areas were very nice and beautiful. Location is convenient. Everything was clean and well maintained.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Cynthia S
GaylordPalmsResort, Public Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Cynthia, we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent experience at Gaylord Palms. As a company, we pride ourselves on empowering all of our STARS (employees) to make it right for our guests -- and we’re thrilled they were able to do so for you! Thank you again for the praise. We will be sure this comment gets passed along!

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Check in took least than 10min. Room was clean and spacious. Valet service was prompt and professional. Valets always asked if they could give us directions.
The hotel is very close to the enterance to Disney. Perfect location for getting around the Orlando area.

Room Tip: Emerald Bay rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank jtcolumbus
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Our vacation was a mix of business and pleasure. My husband had a conference and we came along with the kids for a few days.
The hotel has a nice water park so I see how the hotel would work better for families in the summer.
However, we were extremely disappointed with the Disney Parks shuttle service, it's rare, inconvenient and you end up needing to take a taxi.
Most hotels in the area offer a MUCH better shuttle service. If your destination is Disney, it's not worth the stay. The Atrium is huge, the kids enjoyed seeing the Koi fish and the buffet was nice, it's just not a great pick for Disney.
Also, we found sharp beer bottle caps on the carpet so the room was clearly not cleaned properly, we complained about it and heard nothing from the hotel. There were a few other small annoying things like the water pressure not be good but it did not bother me as much as the other things I have described.

Room Tip: They charge you an extra $40 to face the atrium. It's nicer view but it's not a must.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Stayed here 3 nights for a sales meeting. This place is huge, with many divisions. All staff was polite and professional. The room was very clean with all the modern amenities you need. The free internet was a little slow, but apart from that, you can't complain about this place. It is about 20 minutes from the Orlando airport, and easy to get to. My employer had arranged for transportation, room, and meals during my stay. Did not have time to use any facilities, but some of my co-workers told me the gym was average, and the pool was very nice. If you're bringing the kids to Disney, you might want to consider this place. Although staying at one of the Disney resorts might be more convenient, this place might be a little more affordable.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

So if you've stayed at one the others will be similar. The best one is in Tn, the newest in Va, the most convenient is this one in Orlando because it's close to Disney yet offers that Gaylord quality rather than all the tourist driven hotels in the area. Great Choice!

Room Tip: Some rooms are small and the AC is motion senored so you have to be in the room for it to cool down
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
1 mi away
Reunion Resort, A Salamander Golf & Spa Resort
Caribe Royale Orlando
Caribe Royale Orlando
#85 of 342 in Orlando

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!