“Not the best Gaylord but pretty good.”

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #18 of 153 Hotels in Kissimmee
Big Spring, Texas
“Not the best Gaylord but pretty good.”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed here for a business conference June 22-26. The room was very nice and clean but we requested a king size bed months before and had to take 2 queens instead. The lady at the desk assured us the view was wonderful from our room. When we opened the curtains we saw a roof with a/c units in all directions. Ha. Since it was a business trip we overlooked that issue. We really enjoyed watching the fish in the lobby by the large ship and the alligators. We went to the Java Bar and the Ice Cream place and they were good. I had the chance to go to the spa and enjoyed it but the robes were very worn out and not heated. The staff at the hotel was very accommodating and helped us several times. We took a taxi down to Logan's Steakhouse for $6 then just walked back. It was about a mile along a busy four lane highway. There is also a Walgreens in that direction. My only complaint is that it is difficult to get anywhere unless you take a taxi. The closest bus stop is about a mile away.

Room Tip: In no way stay in the Key West wing room 2198 unless you are an A/C salesperson and like to look at...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,324)
  • Polish first
New Castle, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This Gaylord property is by far the best of them. My husband and I have stayed multiple times at three of the Gaylord Resorts, and the Gaylord Palms is by far the best! The Gaylord Opryland is a nice hotel, and our stays there have been okay. The Gaylord Texan is my least favorite, and I did have a bad experience at the concierge desk in Texas.But at the Palms, we are always given the best service I could ask for. There were two girls at the front desk that need mentioning...Jaide and Starsha...they were so accommodating with our requests and needs I would hire them for my business anyday. Every aspect of this hotel is wonderful. The employees from the front desk, to the restaurants, concierge, spa, and everywhere in between can't be beat! Looking forward to my next visit in February!

Room Tip: Love the atrium rooms, but you can't beat the executive suite!
Florida
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Gaylord Palms is amazing. We were lucky to stay for a weekend free of charge. The place is huge and beautiful.
I believe it has two or three swimming pools. Our stay was amazing. We had room service one time, and it was awesome. We also ordered lunch one day by the pool. Prices were reasonable and food was good.
We did not eat dinners in the hotel restaurants. We went out of the resort/hotel to eat most of our meals. Definitely recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank laplaya00612
Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Treated well by the staff from the beginning to the end. Great place for family - well designed pools and hotel layout. Our rooms that faced the atrium provided a great view of the superb architectural design and layout of the gardens, several restaurants and shops within the hotel. Breakfast is not included in your reservation but the restaurants provided great choices.

Room Tip: As for Atrium View
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Laikipia
Little Rock, AR
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The Gaylord has always been known as a nice hotel. I have spent time at other locations. I was a little dissapointed with this location though. It was very pretty on the inside, you can tell there was a great deal of time and money spent on the flora and fauna. What did make me a bit upset was the lack of cleanliness of the room, and in particular the bathroom. There was hair on the floor from previous guests. The sink counters where not clean. So it may be a bit concerned about the rest of the room. It was cleaned the next day. The size of the room was no more than a Hampton which I had had larger ones at other locations.

1 Thank terryg517
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

This is the place to have or go to a convention. First it's huge, so be prepared to walk a lot. The good part is tons of cool stuff to see. Koi ponds, alligators, cool themed restaurants and just a very cool setting. The rooms are great, coffee makers and mini friges. Lots of room and a nice little balcony. The service is always top notch. The staff always goes out of their way to help. The restaurants are great too. I look forward to coming back

Stayed June 2013
1 Thank adam-kelley
Crystal Beach, FL
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We booked the Shrek Experience weekend for our oldest sons 10th birthday. There were 4 of us in our party. I had booked the room on my card but with my husbands Marriott reward number. The reservation was in my name just as it is on my card. While my husband managed the kids and attended to the luggage, I went inside to check in. They were not going to allow me to check in because my husband was not with me because it was his reward number. Seems a cc number would have been more important than a reward number. Oh, we have the same last name too. So the "new" front desk clerk asked another front desk person if she could check me in without my husband and was told no. I'm still unclear as to what the big deal was but the moment my husband walked up with our kids the employee seemed relieved. At this point I'm thinking, not a great way to start the weekend.

So once we got our keys, we began asking about the amenities included with the Shrek Experience, which the front desk knew NOTHING about. Referred us to the concierge who was only a bit more knowledgeable. She knew what time the meet and greets started but had no idea where any of them were located. As we searched the vast property for the likes of Sherk and Fiona, Puss in Boots, Kung Fu Panda Po and King Julien, we found them only because we stumbled across them in the atrium or spoke to other folks searching as well. No employees in the shops or just walking around had any information. Once we did locate the characters, they were interactive and engaging.

Now back to the concierge. The weekend we stayed here was also the weekend of the Kentucky Derby which we wanted to see in the resort bar. While at the concierge we asked what time post time for the Derby. She looked at me puzzled. I rephrased it to the Kentucky Derby race time and she was still confused. So she called the bar (Wreckers, which, I might add is a great place to watch the Derby or possibly any sports event) to find out. Now, in my opinion, a concierge at a resort property such as this, which is owned by Marriott, should know the answer to that question. BTW there was a private Derby party going on and Wreckers was jam packed. Makes me wonder if she would have had information for a more popular sport like the World Series or NBA finals.

I felt like no simple or complex (and believe me, our questions were not overly complex), could be answered without involving one or two other people. Very poorly informed staff. Some didn't even know there was the Shrek Experience going on even with pole banners hanging throughout the atrium! Marriott should be ashamed.

The best experience was the pool area with fun slides for our kids. As another guest stated the prices are OUTRAGEOUS but it is a resort so inflated is expected but these seemed gouging. I don't mind paying but for the bad service/information is unacceptable for those prices. We arrived at the pool late afternoon so there were plenty of chairs available but I do see where they could fill up quickly as there limited numbers.

The room was spacious and comfortable, probably our only positive thing next to the fun our kids had at the pool.

Overall, our experience was completely disappointing. (See my reviews about Sunset Sam's restaurant and the Villa Flora breakfast buffet) With everything we had heard about the Gaylord Palms and then our experience we won't return. Again, we don't mind paying resort prices for resort service but this is the type of service I would expect at a La Quinta. Felt gouged.

They should take a page from Disney's playbook on being knowledgeable and well informed.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank 2BOYSMOM44
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
Wyndham Grand Orlando Resort Bonnet Creek
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 153 in Kissimmee

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!