“Great time at the Gaylord Palms”

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #19 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We have stayed here at the Gaylord Palms Resort many times and as usual the stay was GREAT. Loved it. Having the ice show made it even more enjoyable along with the Holiday entertainment during the evenings. The hotel rooms under the atrium were very enjoyable .
We will surely be staying here again. The rooms were very clean and the bed was great. The meals at the resturants were all great . The Gaylord is a great place to stay , it was a fun vacation.

Room Tip: any room as long as it is overlooking the atrium
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,758)

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We checked in at 5pm - had reserved two rooms. One room wasn't ready - front desk person said she would call me when the other room was ready. After two hours I called the front desk - she said "Oh, it's ready. I will have a bell hop bring the key up to the room you are in." After another 20 minutes, I went downstairs and got the key myself.
Then, we made dinner reservations at the steak house. As we were about to head down for dinner, they called and said they had made our reservation for the wrong night and that there were no other reservations available.
On Sunday morning, I went downstairs to check out and I had been billed twice for the rooms, once on my Mastercard and once on my Visa. I had prepaid the rooms with my MC and used my Visa for incidentals. So, needless to say, I waited another 20 minutes for her to "fix" the charges. Can't wait to check my bank account on Monday and see if she actually did the credit correctly. I sure hope she did so that I don't have to spend an hour on the phone explaining things to a phone attendant and trying to get it worked out.
The hotel is beautiful but the service leaves much to be desired.

Room Tip: We had an atrium room and it was nice.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Leslie S
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My family (me, husband, 12 year old, 6 year old, and 3 year old) visited Ice! for the first time. It was very impressive. The theme this year is Madagascar. Before you go, I would recommend browsing the Internet to see if you can get a discount, as the tickets are priced based on peak and non-peak days. As Florida residents, we received $4.00 off each ticket (the 3 year old was free), and our total came to about $72.00. This deal can be found on the hotel's website. Another thing to know is that you will have to pay for parking, about $14.00, which is pretty steep--I think Disney charges less!

The property is large, but there are plenty of signs to lead you to the right place. Before you actually enter the Ice! exhibit, you are taken through a series of videos that introduces you to the event: the first one is a behind-the-scenes look at the making of Ice!; the second and third ones are a mini-movie of Madagascar that will help you understand the exhibit itself. It's really cute, but my kids got a little antsy. The last thing that you will do is go to the coat area. Every person is issued a parka. My daughter, who was wearing her own, was still required to wear the one issued by the staff. Make sure to bring gloves and hats, as it is really cold in there! Your picture is taken just before you walk into the entire exhibit--packages range from $25-$35--it is pretty expensive based on what you get, but for the memory I would recommend making the purchase.

The ice sculptures are colorful and fun to look at. The detail put into them is amazing. There are 4 ice slides of varying height, but all are kid-friendly. At the end of the exhibit is a nativity scene and angel--gorgeous. By the way, cameras are welcome. Once you leave, you are taken into a large area that sells ornaments and such. There is also a gingerbread-making place (there is a fee) and a Santa picture place (also a fee). All in all, I would recommend this place for families. Everyone will have a great time and be amazed at what they see.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank vlmiller
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The ice carvings were nothing short of impressive, and the hotel was beautiful. I would give the ice artistry 5 stars and the hotel grounds 5 stars. But regarding the ICE show, there's a real problem with value.

At $30 per person (with FL resident discount), is it worth it for 20-30 minutes in the cold room? No way. That's over a dollar a minutes. We really felt ripped off.

But wait, parking costs an extra $15. We wanted lunch afterwards and the buffet looked really nice, but my group didn't want to spend $36 per person for lunch. The cheapest sit down place was a sports bar restaurant where a burger, fries, and a drink for four people will cost you nearly $100. No kidding.

Greed is king at the Gaylord Palms. The restrooms are still free, but everything else costs double what it should.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank B P
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I visited this propert recently for a work event. My understanding is that about 2/3 of the clientele is there on business, but that was just hearsay. Desk staff was friendly, and included an unsolicited upgrade for me as a Marriott platinum member. Interior was decked out for the holidays and was beautiful. Food was outstanding, at every meal. Only complaint at all wasn't mine. Two of our colleagues on lower floors complained about the walls being thin and it being hard for them to sleep as a result. I had no such issues at all. Everything was comfortable and quiet. I will probably travel here with the family sometime.

Room Tip: Ask for one that is quiet
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were only there for one night and I think this is not enough, you need a few days to enjoy all it has to offer, with big comfortable rooms, gardens, alligators! restaurants, shops, pools and a spa. we were in an atrium room with a balcony which gave views over the entertainment for Christmas which was great. The decorations for the season were great and the place was alive with brightly coloured poinsettia.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an atrium room the balcony is so worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

They need to work on training. We booked the Dreamworks package and with that front of the line for Ice, well the young lady let everyone and I mean a huge crowed in front of us then we went into the same line with a million other people, the sculptures were beautiful and the slides were packed. Service everywhere is lacking training. They also need more restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
1 mi away
Caribe Royale Orlando
Caribe Royale Orlando
#86 of 341 in Orlando
Reunion Resort, A Salamander Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!