“Anniversary Weekend Getaway”

Ranked #18 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
Sarasota, FL
“Anniversary Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were treated like royalty last weekend- upgraded to an atrium view room, our names and anniversary info. on the hotel screen, personal treatment by the shuttle driver, etc., etc. An excellent steak meal at the Old Hickory Steakhouse, an abundant and quality buffet at the Villa del Flore.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank M.Remi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,308)
  • Polish first
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I recently stayed here for a conference. The rooms are spacious, good lighting. Plenty of towels in the bathroom, nice amenities. The resort is huge-you feel as if you are in a small city under a biodome. They have trees, paths, shopping, gym, spa, etc. You can watch them feed the alligator and fish, and they have a water park. On the downside, the shower had mildew all over it (I did mention this to the front desk when I checked out) and the toilet paper is pretty thin. The beds are hard (at least for me). The food is mediocre, even in the restaurants. Parking is expensive, and they charge for each time you leave (even if it is multiple times a day). if you take a taxi from the airport, it will cost about $60. They do have town cars to take you back to the airport, and they are $61 fixed fare, not including tip. The hotel charges a $15/day "resort fee" for newpaper (which isn't delivered to your room, but put in a pile at the first floor elevator), use of the gym, wireless internet (which is sketchy around the resort), and 2 bottles of water in your room. They do offer free bus to the Disney parks. You can print your boarding passes for free in the lobby, but they will charge you by the minute if you need to use their computers for anything else. You do feel "nickeled and dimed" to death.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms seem to open into the atrium, which could be noisy if there is a big convention.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank peamomma
Calgary, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Dissregard the name of this place because it is AWESOME, first thing is the hotel itself, we drove past it twice because we were looking for something much less than what this place is. The hotel is beautiful the lobby is georgous. We checked into our rooms and in the process the concierge suggested we view their latest attraction "Shrek the Halls". The beds were oh so comfortable, so much so that we took the mattress info and tried to get the same for home but were told they are a special just for the Gaylord chain(cry). In the Hotel is like a small park, there is a mini bayou you can stroll through to learn things, then a main area with alligators, a couple little restaurants and since we were there beginning of December there was a treasure hunt for the kids throughout the area. Shrek was again another AWESOME attraction in theis AWESOME hotel, if Gaylord Palms built more hotels I'd never stay anywhere else, sorry to babble on to the people reading this review but as you can tell from my ramblings I really liked this place and have definately bookmarked it as my hotel of choice.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cjheuvel
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife attended a conference at the Gaylord Palms and I tagged along for a few days. As a venue for a conference, it is probably great. But as an option to visit Orlando as a tourist, not so great. First, the place is huge, so be prepared to do a bit of walking! From your car, to the reception, to your room, to the pool if you are on the other side of the complex from the pool area. The concept of a large glass covered atrium is interesting, but I found it was a bit too air conditionned for my liking and a bit too artificial for my taste.

Our room, however, was excellent. We had a corner room with one window looking outdoors, the other looking into the atrium, on "old Key West", which was nice. Good amenities in the room and a nice bed.

We ate one night on the "boat" in the Key West area: we both had fish, the dishes were cooked perfectly and we enjoyed the meal.

While tempted by the steak house, we found the prices horribly high. Judging by the size of the servings, my wife and I probably could have shared one steak. Why is it that American restaurants insist on such ridiculous portions????

We had another dinner in the sports bar. The beer was cold but the ribs, just average.

The adult pool area is pretty nice: good to have a place where there are no kids! But from what I could tell of the kids pool and water park, it did not seem that spectacular to me.

The primary reason to go to Orlando is the theme parks. The Gaylord Palms does not have enough reasons to choose it over the convenience of staying in one of the hotels at the theme parks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark O
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

The resort is very impressive when you drive up. GREAT curb appeal. The complex is divided into sections and the indoor atrium is very well kept and pretty. But it's hard to find things easily - even with the map. Some things are on level 1, others on level 2 and the map doesn't tell you that so you see people (myself included for the first 2 days) holding maps and wandering around looking befuddled. The restaurants within the complex are nice and the food good but the prices! OY VEY!! They are very expensive, likely because they cater to business trips and conferences where the corporate card is paying the bill. I guess that's fine but when you're NOT traveling on business, be prepared to spend upwards of $25 for a SINGLE lunch and a lot more than that for dinner (and I'm not a big drinker - maybe one glass of wine with dinner, that's it!). But the biggest NO-GO for me was the water that I had to bathe with. Seriously...I couldn't figure out what I was smelling when I turned on the shower tap. I thought there was an electrical wire burning somewhere but then I realized...IT'S THE RECYCLED WATER! It has the distinctive smell of The Monkey House from your local zoo. No! Seriously! It's that bad. I can't imagine that other visitors have not made a point of mentioning this - really disturbing. Because of this (or maybe the REASON???) you don't want to even consider drinking from the tap in the room - it's bottled or it's not happening and bottled water in this resort is a minimum $3/bottle. You can PAY to have bottled water put in your fridge each day but they only leave 2 bottles and in FL you need more than 2 bottles. Again, I'm sure the conference goers have plenty of bottled water available during their seminars, but if you're not them, expect to pay and pay and pay. Sorry. I cannot tell a Tripadvisor lie!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the atrium when you check in. Otherwise, you'll be en...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Pembroke Pines, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have a three year old son, we took him to Disney World for his first time for his birthday. The Gaylord Palms has always exceeded my expectations when I have been there for business. After researching and seeing what they had available for my son, I knew it was THE place to stay. They have a spectacular water park and an arcade. I have to say that my son had just as much fun spending one day at the hotel as he did going to the Magic Kingdom. The staff was beyond helpful and very friendly and the facility is very clean! By the way, I have stayed at several of the nicer Disney hotels. The Gaylord Palms provided us with transportation to the park and it is far nicer than any Disney hotel I have ever stayed at. Signed, Max's Mom.

Room Tip: Get a room overseeing the atrium!.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

We decided to stay here for 4 nights as part of a month long holiday in the US. We weighed this up against staying at a Disney resort and decided it would be nice to retreat from the whole Disney thing at the end of the day. The hotel provides free bus transfers to the Disney parks but it can take up to 50 minutes to get there. We were also left stranded at Epcot one evening when the bus didn't show.
The hotel has very little nearby so if you're after something to eat, unless you have your own transport it's difficult. The buffet restaurant at Gaylord is average. There is a cafe you can buy a few things for breakfast or lunch but we thought the overall food options available were poor.
Staff were not particularly friendly. Both the front desk staff and the concierge were not overly helpful and we found them almost rude.
The rooms themselves are ok - a reasonable size and bathrooms also a good size. There were a few maintenance issues (shower head coming off the wall, toilet getting stuck and continually flushing and so on). Nothing major but enough minor issues that we noticed.
On the positive side, the swimming pool area is fantastic especially for kids. Unfortunately we didn't get enough time to really enjoy this area. Secondly the beds were quite comfortable.
If I was doing our trip again I would stay at a Disney resort. If I was going for a longer stay I would consider Gaylord but would also look at other options.

Room Tip: We had level 4 atrium view which was nice but a very long walk to room from main lobby area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank WoodyWoodpecker25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
Wyndham Grand Orlando Resort Bonnet Creek
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 152 in Kissimmee

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!