“life time ambition”
Review of Stallion 51

Stallion 51
More attraction details
Owner description: Fly an Authentic WWII Mustang. Stallion 51 offers the rare opportunity to experience the legendary P-51 Mustang and the historic T-6 Texan in flight as well as the Introduction to UAT flights at the controls of the L-39 Turbo Jet. Orientation and Introductory flights are with experienced instructors who allow you to take the controls in dual-cockpit, dual-control authentic vintage aircraft. Hands-on orientation flights include pre and post flight briefing, video recording of your flight, photo and flight training certificate. Stallion 51 has been a leader in WWII and Vintage aviation for over 25 years; keeping aviation history exciting, available and safe for everyone. Visitors are always welcome to tour Stallion 51's facilities.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I was able to fulfil a dream of flying the P-51 for my 65th birthday and it was a wonderful experience and beyond my expectations-I would love to do it again. The staff made the whole experience easy from booking to flying. Meeting Lee, Homer and Julia made me realise how easy the mustang is to love and to become addicted to flying Crazy Horse. The video is a permanent reminder of my flight and it certainly cheers up the wet winters in Wales. I was amazed with the stability of the aircraft but also its power and performance, Thanks to all at Stallion 51 for wonderful memories.
Robert Lloyd

MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Robert, Glad we could be part of your 65th Birthday celebration. We hope we can help you celebrate many more! The Mustangs will be waiting for you. KT Budde-Jones.

There are newer reviews for Stallion 51

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Like others writing reveiws here, to fly in a P51 Mustang has been top of a lifetimes ambition for many years. Finally I was in a position to both visit the USA and fly a P51, (February17th) Julia was great in organising my booking and keeping me informed of where and when I needed to be at Merlin drive. John (Homer) was my pilot for the trip. I decided to drag along my family, including my wife, daughter & son in law, 3 young grandchildren age 9/7 & 23 months, plus some friends who came over from the UK during the second week of the stay. The stallion 51 crew made us (all) very welcome and included us all in the pre flight briefing and post flight de brief. Every part of your trip is explained in detail, and you can ask questions at any time. Visitor facilities are excellent, my family and friends watched as I mounted up and took off, to await my return, all this can be watched from a purpose built viewing balcony as part of the building.
The flight, well it was all I had dreamed of, the power, the smell, the views of Florida up side down from 8,000 feet in a clear blue sky, all made this a memorable experience. For those of you who may be afraid of aerobatics, like I was, your pilot will let you do exactly what you wish to do or not as the case may be, I must admit, after one loop, I decided not to attempt another!! All of us thoroughly enjoyed the experience, including my family and friends as we were made so welcome. Thank you to both Julia and Homer for making this a special day for us all. Tim H, Somerset, UK. P.S I am now at home in the wet, rain sodden UK, but still smiling from this experience, you just gotta do it!!

1  Thank Tim H
MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Tim, We are happy that we could make a lifetime dream become a reality and that the experience of flying the P-51 Mustang with us has kept you smiling through the cold damp weather you returned to in England! How wonderful that you could experience your flight with friends and family as well as share the video of your flight with everyone at home. Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words. KT Budde-Jones

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Me and my father decided to fly a one hour, two ship, sortie with the Mustangs for my fathers 70 years birthday. We were met by two very professional pilots who after gaging our experience had us strap into one Mustang each and go for a two ship flight. Both my father and I have about 800 hours of flight experience, a most of them in tail draggers. We were allowed to fly the Mustang ourselves for about 95% of the time including close formations, multiple aerobatic sequences and we even got the land the Mustangs. This is the most fun flying experience we both have had and the best part was that we could do it together.
Our sincere thanks go out to the staff and instructors who made this an experience of a lifetime for us both.

MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Andrea; We were honored to be part of your father's 70th birthday formation flight in our P-51 Mustangs. What a great experience that you both were able to share together. We look forward to sharing many more birthdays with you and your father. KT Budde-Jones

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Having wanted to fly both a Warbird and Military Jet for a long time. I accomplished both ambitions at Stallion 51, in November 2013 with a one hour flight in the TF-51 Mustang "Crazy Horse" and the following day a flight in the Albatross L39 Turbofan jet.

All the staff at Stallion 51 were all very friendly and welcoming. Prior to each flight there was a thorough pre-flight briefing. I am not a pilot but was given the controls shortly after take-off. The instructor for each flight was the legendary Lee Lauderback who is one of the most experienced Mustang pilots in the world. The flights themselves included basic flight manoeuvres as well as aerobatics; loops, aileron rolls, hesitation rolls, Cuban 8’s, and barrel rolls. I was still on the controls for the landing! After each flight there was a debrief going through the on-board video footage, which you get to keep.

I would like to say thank you to Lee Laudaback, Chris the ground crew, Julia and to everyone else at Stallion 51 that made the experience truly unforgettable.

Some may say this is a bucket list "to do" and a tick in the box. However, be warned it can become addictive!

See you in 2014.

Thanks Again!

Matthew

1  Thank Matthew O

Mathew, So glad we were able to check off not just one but two items on your Bucket List. The Mustang and the L-39 flights are a thrill and so glad we could share the cockpit with you. It has been said that our hands-on flights are addicting. We have not found the cure for that yet other than coming back for another flight! Thank you for your kind words, KT Budde-Jones.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

On January 16, I had the happy opportunity to fulfill a life-long dream, a P-51 Mustang flight! (Technically, it is a TF-51D.) If you love airplanes, history, American ingenuity, or any combination of these then a visit to Stallion 51 for a Mustang ride belongs at the top of your bucket list. I opted for the one-hour orientation flight and it was worth every single penny.

The Stallion 51 experience is first class, and I was grinning ear to ear during the entire event. Members of the team are extremely professional and enthusiastic about their operation. The hangar deck is immaculate, as are the Mustangs. The aircraft are so well kept that when you see them up close it will seem that you stepped back in time to the 1940’s.

I flew with John “Homer” Black in Crazy Horse, and another customer flew formation against us in Crazy Horse 2. Homer gave a quick and thorough pre-flight briefing for both aircrew. The pilot of the other aircraft, Steve “Dawg” Larmore, only added to the fun, providing some great insight, flying stories, and good-natured humor. After the brief, we all headed to the hangar to strap in to the Mustangs for what seemed like the fastest 60 minutes of my life.

I’m not sure I can convey how it feels to strap into the back seat of a Mustang, or what it sounds and smells like as the engine comes to life. The unbelievable feeling of power as it accelerated down the runway is something I will never forget. We took off as a formation and headed to the working area we split up the formation. Homer passed me the controls and led me through the full aerobatic profile. I got to do most of the flying, and we did everything including loops, aileron rolls, Cuban 8’s, and barrel rolls. The Mustang handles like a dream and I loved every second of it.

We rejoined with our formation on the return back to base, and Homer instructed me through some formation flying, allowing me as much stick time as possible. In what seemed like a blink of the eye, we had completed the overhead pattern and landed. It went too quickly; I guess time literally flies when you’re having fun.

I have to give kudos to my flight instructor, John “Homer” Black. Homer is a terrific pilot and a true master of his craft. His knowledge of the airplane, as well as his experience as an instructor made the flight enjoyable and educational. He tailored the flight to my experience level, allowing me to fly as much as possible. As a professional pilot myself, I must confess that I envy his job. Who gets to fly in a P-51 every day? Homer does, and he’s damn good at it.

The bottom line is this: GO FLY AT STALLION 51! You won’t regret it. Every part of this experience was outstanding and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

2  Thank David H
MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

David; Glad we could start your new year right by fulfilling your life-long dream of flying one of Stallion 51's Mustangs. Even better that you were able to fly in formation with our other dual cockpit-dual control Mustang, "Crazy Horse 2". The only thing better than one Mustang are two Mustangs! We hope you will join us again for another flight of a lifetime. KT Budde-Jones