“You have to do this!”
Review of Stallion 51

Stallion 51
More attraction details
Owner description: Fly an Authentic WWII Mustang. Stallion 51 offers the rare opportunity to experience the legendary P-51 Mustang and the historic T-6 Texan in flight as well as the Introduction to UAT flights at the controls of the L-39 Turbo Jet. Orientation and Introductory flights are with experienced instructors who allow you to take the controls in dual-cockpit, dual-control authentic vintage aircraft. Hands-on orientation flights include pre and post flight briefing, video recording of your flight, photo and flight training certificate. Stallion 51 has been a leader in WWII and Vintage aviation for over 25 years; keeping aviation history exciting, available and safe for everyone. Visitors are always welcome to tour Stallion 51's facilities.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed January 21, 2014

On January 16, I had the happy opportunity to fulfill a life-long dream, a P-51 Mustang flight! (Technically, it is a TF-51D.) If you love airplanes, history, American ingenuity, or any combination of these then a visit to Stallion 51 for a Mustang ride belongs at the top of your bucket list. I opted for the one-hour orientation flight and it was worth every single penny.

The Stallion 51 experience is first class, and I was grinning ear to ear during the entire event. Members of the team are extremely professional and enthusiastic about their operation. The hangar deck is immaculate, as are the Mustangs. The aircraft are so well kept that when you see them up close it will seem that you stepped back in time to the 1940’s.

I flew with John “Homer” Black in Crazy Horse, and another customer flew formation against us in Crazy Horse 2. Homer gave a quick and thorough pre-flight briefing for both aircrew. The pilot of the other aircraft, Steve “Dawg” Larmore, only added to the fun, providing some great insight, flying stories, and good-natured humor. After the brief, we all headed to the hangar to strap in to the Mustangs for what seemed like the fastest 60 minutes of my life.

I’m not sure I can convey how it feels to strap into the back seat of a Mustang, or what it sounds and smells like as the engine comes to life. The unbelievable feeling of power as it accelerated down the runway is something I will never forget. We took off as a formation and headed to the working area we split up the formation. Homer passed me the controls and led me through the full aerobatic profile. I got to do most of the flying, and we did everything including loops, aileron rolls, Cuban 8’s, and barrel rolls. The Mustang handles like a dream and I loved every second of it.

We rejoined with our formation on the return back to base, and Homer instructed me through some formation flying, allowing me as much stick time as possible. In what seemed like a blink of the eye, we had completed the overhead pattern and landed. It went too quickly; I guess time literally flies when you’re having fun.

I have to give kudos to my flight instructor, John “Homer” Black. Homer is a terrific pilot and a true master of his craft. His knowledge of the airplane, as well as his experience as an instructor made the flight enjoyable and educational. He tailored the flight to my experience level, allowing me to fly as much as possible. As a professional pilot myself, I must confess that I envy his job. Who gets to fly in a P-51 every day? Homer does, and he’s damn good at it.

The bottom line is this: GO FLY AT STALLION 51! You won’t regret it. Every part of this experience was outstanding and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

2  Thank David H
MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

David; Glad we could start your new year right by fulfilling your life-long dream of flying one of Stallion 51's Mustangs. Even better that you were able to fly in formation with our other dual cockpit-dual control Mustang, "Crazy Horse 2". The only thing better than one Mustang are two Mustangs! We hope you will join us again for another flight of a lifetime. KT Budde-Jones

There are newer reviews for Stallion 51

Reviewed January 3, 2014

My sons presented me with a T-6 flight with stallion 51 on 31 Dec 2013. I've been in aviation maintenance (avionics) all my life but never had the chance to experience the thrills that Steve gave me in the T-6. His experience and coaching made me feel like a high-hour "stick". Everyone at Stallion 51 was friendly and warm. Really enjoyed the chance to "join up" with the Albatross mid-flight. I'd die to get in to the P-51 soon if it can be made to happen. Many thanks to the Stallion 51 crowd!

1  Thank BradFairman

Brad, Glad that Stallion 51 could end the year right for you! Thanks for joining us in the T-6 Texan cockpit, we will save a place for you in one of our dual cockpit-dual control Mustangs for when you come back for for your P-51 flight. Have a great New Year. KT Budde-Jones

Reviewed December 11, 2013

What an experience! A full Mustang check out, multiple days and multiple sorties. The discipline and professionalism displayed by the staff is equal to the training I received as a military aviator. The ground school is in depth with all systems covered in detail and the flight training academics are second-to-none with all regimes of the P-51 flight envelope explored. It is serious business, it is physically and mentally taxing, but the staff makes it fun too. After successfully completing this course you will have made friends with one of the quintessential fighters of all time and made life long friends with the wonderful people who run the organization. Stallion 51 sets the standard on what war bird training should be.

2  Thank Sierra_Hotel16
MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Stallion 51 offers a wide range of flight options for those wanting to experience the Mustang first hand; from orientation flights for non pilots and pilots alike, to unusual attitude training, to a complete check out in the Mustang. Something for everyone who every dreamed of flying a P-15 Mustang. We are pleased that our comprehensive advanced check-out training program not only met but exceeded your expectations. KT Budde-Jones

Reviewed November 12, 2013

How much more fulfilling can it be to fulfill a dream come true than to do it with your son? I cannot find the exact words to express the joy and excitement we had in flying these marvelous warbirds with the help of two excellent, professional and personable pilots Homer and Boards.Does WOW! express everything in one word? You bet! But to fly in formation with your own son how can it get any better? All I can say again is a heartfelt thanks to the entire Stallion 51 group.

1  Thank RayTodd1941
MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Ray, It was our pleasure to share not only our Mustangs with you and your son but to be able to make such a special moment. Thank you for letting us be a part of a special memory for your family. KT Budde-Jones

Reviewed November 8, 2013

If I would have had the money to buy a real Mustang I wouidn't have hesitated a second. This was the next best since I got to fly the P51 in great acrobatic the entire 1 hour flight after gears up. Before I even landed I had decided that I will do this again some time because I learned a lot about flying and especially the Mustang secrets. My advice is, save money and go fly at Stallion 51 you won't regret it! It is well worth every spent dollar.
/ Cai

1  Thank Cai S
MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Cai, We enjoy sharing our Mustangs with our European visitors; we have a shared history with the Mustang and glad we can keep the P-51's history alive for everyone on both sides of the ocean. We look forward to your return visit and another opportunity to share the cockpit with you. Until then, thank you, KT Budde-Jones.